Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album releases

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-09-13, 01:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In an attempt to broaden the diversity of music in 'Music Talk' - I'll try to keep this up to date for some of us who enjoy musical theater and new cast recordings.

Sarah Brightman Dreamchaser:

Fancy Nancy – The Musical:

The Head That Wears The Crown – Alan Cumming:

Dogfight

Annie – 2012 Cast Recording

The Last Smoker in America

Rodgers and Hammersteins Cinderella

Eric Woolfson’s Somewhere in the Audience:

Giant:

Murder Ballad:

Kinky Boots:

Hands on A Hard Body:

Passion (2013) Cast Recording:

Matthew Morrison – Where It All Began:

Laura Osnes – The Songs of Maury Yeston:

Motown The Musical:

Pippin (2012) Cast Recording

Old 07-11-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: 'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album release 2013 thread

Originally Posted by Giles
In an attempt to broaden the diversity of music in 'Music Talk' - I'll try to keep this up to date for some of us who enjoy musical theater and new cast recordings.
So many good recordings! Sadly, I have so many that I haven't listened to that I've tapered back my collecting, but I realize the genre as a whole isn't what it used to be so I try to buy some to support it.

Sarah Brightman Dreamchaser:

I actually own a number of Brightman CDs but she's not my cup of tea and I rarely listen to them.

The Head That Wears The Crown – Alan Cumming:

Not much for spoken word.

Annie – 2012 Cast Recording
Hard to imagine anything beating the OBC but I'll listen to samples for this. Andrea McArdle still has a great voice, one of my all-time favorites.

Passion (2013) Cast Recording:
I already have two Passions, but will probably end up with this one too since I'm a Sondheim nut (not referring to the DVDTalk member) and like Errico.

Matthew Morrison – Where It All Began:
I watch Glee but never picked up Morrison's first album, don't know why.

Rodgers and Hammersteins Cinderella

Laura Osnes – The Songs of Maury Yeston:

I have a real soft spot for Osnes dating back to the Grease reality show when I ended up rooting hard for her and Max Crumm (who I believe left the field--he always had a slacker image). I don't think she's a brilliant talent or anything, but she's solid and appealing. I liked her solo cabaret recording.

As far as these specifically, I'll probably get Cinderella (though I have at least one version already, and three on DVD) but I've never warmed up to Yeston.

Pippin (2012) Cast Recording

Not my favorite show by any means, but I like some of the songs and the OCR is so cheap-sounding that this might be a worthwhile addition.
Old 07-11-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I already have two Passions, but will probably end up with this one too since I'm a Sondheim nut (not referring to the DVDTalk member) and like Errico.

...Anyways, I haven't had time to sit down and listen to it all the way through yet, but so far I haven't really been that impressed by this Passion recording. It's never been one of my favorite Sondheim shows anyways, but this version seems like it's lacking... Well, passion - which is kind of essential to an emotionally intense show like this.

But that was just based on a very cursory listen - I might change my mind once I listen to the whole thing though and am able to pay more attention.

Other than that, I've read some good things about Giant and Dogfight, so I'll give those a try eventually, along with Kinky Boots and Matilda.

Gotta try out some of the revival recordings too, particularly Cinderella - which my sister really enjoyed when she saw it in NYC a few months.

Last edited by Sondheim; 07-11-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is one of my newer acquisitions. PS Classics is always so solid, and I figure a pure Kern revue would be heaven, but it was a little hit and miss for me. Maybe there wasn't quite enough material for a consistent two-disc album.

I also wonder if the Rebecca Luker Kern album released nearly concurrently would be a less academic listen.

I heard mixed reviews of Scandalous, which initially played here in Seattle as "Saving Aimee." Great performance by Carolee Caromello, but I don't remember the score being all that memorable. One strange casting decision was to have the same actor play two different boyfriends/husbands of Semple. I don't think it was a "concept" about sameness or types--as far as I could tell, they just cast the same actor twice, and it struck me as a little confusing (it could have been a late cast switch or something, I suppose).

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Sorry, that came out kind of garbled--I should have said something like "Sondheim (the composer, not the DVDTalk member)"--but I'm just glad you visited this thread and caught the reference.

...Anyways, I haven't had time to sit down and listen to it all the way through yet, but so far I haven't really been that impressed by this Passion recording. It's never been one of my favorite Sondheim shows anyways, but this version seems like it's lacking... Well, passion - which is kind of essential to an emotionally intense show like this.

But that was just based on a very cursory listen - I might change my mind once I listen to the whole thing though and am able to pay more attention.
The composer has certainly been accused of leaving people cold, and for this show as much as any other. I agree it's not one of my favorites, but there have been times when I feel like I "get it" and feel the intensity.

I remember the old days of listening to Into the Woods with CD libretto booklet in hand--I wish I had more time to do that these days.
Old 07-11-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great thread! Here are two I've been listening to lately (that are not listed here yet):

Last edited by Falc04; 07-11-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, that came out kind of garbled--I should have said something like "Sondheim (the composer, not the DVDTalk member)"--but I'm just glad you visited this thread and caught the reference.
I wasn't offended. I just found it kind of funny to see myself mentioned in a thread I just randomly stumbled upon.
The composer has certainly been accused of leaving people cold, and for this show as much as any other. I agree it's not one of my favorites, but there have been times when I feel like I "get it" and feel the intensity.
I've never bought the whole "Sondheim is all brain and no heart" thing - yeah, he's often ridiculously clever, but a lot of his stuff is also very emotionally evocative and resonant for me.

In this case, I just don't think the performers do a very good job of conveying the emotion in the material - but, once again, I might change my mind when I give it a closer listen.

As for Passion as a show - I find it incredibly beautiful at times. The ending never fails to give me chills. On the other hand, there are times when I find Fosca to be unbearable and some of the dialogue/lyrics seem almost laughable in their over-the-top earnestness (if that makes any sense.) It's a weird show, and I kind of go back and forth in how I feel about it.
Old 07-11-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Falc04
Great thread! Here are two I've been listening to lately (that are not listed here yet):

So you're enjoying this? It's on my wishlist - I love the source material, and I've heard good things about Tim Minchin's lyrics.
Old 07-12-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Didn't know they made a musical version of Dogfight. That was a pretty good movie from what I remember.
Old 07-12-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you're enjoying this? It's on my wishlist - I love the source material, and I've heard good things about Tim Minchin's lyrics.
It's a fabulous soundtrack. The highlight of the album is "When I Grow Up"...incredibly moving and poignant song. I have yet to see the play, but from what I hear, there is not a dry eye in the house when it's over.-
Old 07-17-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've never bought the whole "Sondheim is all brain and no heart" thing - yeah, he's often ridiculously clever, but a lot of his stuff is also very emotionally evocative and resonant for me.

In this case, I just don't think the performers do a very good job of conveying the emotion in the material - but, once again, I might change my mind when I give it a closer listen.

As for Passion as a show - I find it incredibly beautiful at times. The ending never fails to give me chills. On the other hand, there are times when I find Fosca to be unbearable and some of the dialogue/lyrics seem almost laughable in their over-the-top earnestness (if that makes any sense.) It's a weird show, and I kind of go back and forth in how I feel about it.
Agreed. Sunday in the Park with George, Sweeney Todd, and Merrily We Roll along can be overwhelmingly emotional for me, just to give a few examples. But Passion is uneven and conceptually a tough sell. I'm pretty sure I will get this pretty soon, though--it's a major recording of a Sondheim work, after all!
Old 07-25-13, 12:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falc04

I keep meaning to pick this up but haven't yet. I've got the Original London recording and the Canadian Company recording (I saw Phantom in Toronto at the Pantages Theater).

I'll check out the Sarah Brightman cd as I've liked her voice and have all the previous albums.

I've been listening to Wicked, Rent and Book of Mormon recently.

I keep hoping that they will release ad DVD of the Wicked stage show like they did for the final Rent performance. Skip the Rent movie as it was awful (even though it featured most of the original Broadway cast). I have it but hate the way they shifted around songs and changed dialogue.. How hard would it have been to follow the script from the Broadway show? Add some lines as necessary, but follow the basic blue print that's already laid out and worked.
Old 07-25-13, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I keep meaning to pick this up but haven't yet. I've got the Original London recording and the Canadian Company recording (I saw Phantom in Toronto at the Pantages Theater).

I'll check out the Sarah Brightman cd as I've liked her voice and have all the previous albums.

I've been listening to Wicked, Rent and Book of Mormon recently.

I keep hoping that they will release ad DVD of the Wicked stage show like they did for the final Rent performance. Skip the Rent movie as it was awful (even though it featured most of the original Broadway cast). I have it but hate the way they shifted around songs and changed dialogue.. How hard would it have been to follow the script from the Broadway show? Add some lines as necessary, but follow the basic blue print that's already laid out and worked.
not to gloat, but I'm seeing this tonight !!
Old 07-25-13, 12:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Nice I love the music.. and I've heard really great things about the actual show. I may catch it sometime in the near future.... Though I imagine that it might get a DVD treatment eventually as well..
Old 07-25-13, 12:24 PM

updates:

Judy Kuhn

~

‘ClownAround’

~

‘Ghost Brothers of Darkland County’

~

Imagine Paradise – Levi Kreis

~

I'm Blue, Skies - Cheyenne Jackson (sorry can’t find an image of the CD to post)

~

Bunnicula - Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording

~

This Time - Lindsay Mendez and Marco Paguia (album cover art coming soon)
Old 07-25-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the Canadian recording quite a bit. I saw Phantom about six months into its London run, then once I had returned here went up to Vancouver to see it. Of course it's been through town a million times since.

My London recording was one of those early early ones that has one track per CD. I think the story at the time was that it was so hot that they just tried to get it out to market as fast as they could, so it's kind of like a memory of the audiocassette days. I've always thought about replacing it, but I already have the London highlights, the Canadian one, and some other miscellany so I really haven't sat down and regretted not having it available.

I would welcome that Wicked, but I expect they wouldn't want to take wind out of the sails of a real movie if that was actually close to happening.

See, I like the Rent movie quite a bit. I saw the show once on stage and it left me a bit confused and cold, but when I saw the movie I understood the characters much better, and I didn't know the show well enough to notice the differences, other than stuff like non-musical answering machines.

I saw one of the recent tours with Rapp and Pascal, which was cool.

Enjoy! I saw it back in January and meant to update the Otter thread but never got around to it.

updates:

Judy Kuhn
This is the only one of the batch that interests me. I've always liked Kuhn. Her You'll Never Get Away from Me off her Jule Styne album has been stuck in my head for years.

Only tangentially related to Kuhn, I happened to toss some songs from Chess OLC onto my phone the other day but found they were a much lower volume than the others on my playlist. Turns out they had been ripped to about half the size as the other files on my computer, presumably because it was when I was first starting to rip CDs and didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I redid them and they're fine. Figured I'd share the story with a sympathetic audience--though, oddly, a number of my friends are Chess fans. Everyone else has never heard of it.
Old 07-26-13, 10:32 AM

I like the Canadian recording quite a bit. I saw Phantom about six months into its London run, then once I had returned here went up to Vancouver to see it. Of course it's been through town a million times since.

My London recording was one of those early early ones that has one track per CD. I think the story at the time was that it was so hot that they just tried to get it out to market as fast as they could, so it's kind of like a memory of the audiocassette days. I've always thought about replacing it, but I already have the London highlights, the Canadian one, and some other miscellany so I really haven't sat down and regretted not having it available.

I would welcome that Wicked, but I expect they wouldn't want to take wind out of the sails of a real movie if that was actually close to happening.

See, I like the Rent movie quite a bit. I saw the show once on stage and it left me a bit confused and cold, but when I saw the movie I understood the characters much better, and I didn't know the show well enough to notice the differences, other than stuff like non-musical answering machines.

I saw one of the recent tours with Rapp and Pascal, which was cool.

Enjoy! I saw it back in January and meant to update the Otter thread but never got around to it.

This is the only one of the batch that interests me. I've always liked Kuhn. Her You'll Never Get Away from Me off her Jule Styne album has been stuck in my head for years.

Only tangentially related to Kuhn, I happened to toss some songs from Chess OLC onto my phone the other day but found they were a much lower volume than the others on my playlist. Turns out they had been ripped to about half the size as the other files on my computer, presumably because it was when I was first starting to rip CDs and didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I redid them and they're fine. Figured I'd share the story with a sympathetic audience--though, oddly, a number of my friends are Chess fans. Everyone else has never heard of it.
I also saw the Rapp/Pascal 'Rent' - wow! I think the audience's fever pitch reaction to the two and the show was outlandishly fun.

As for 'Book of Mormon' what a blast! The musical numbers notably the Hell nightmare sequence was garish and over the top as only Matt and Trey (and the other third writer - who's name I've forgotten) can deliver.

As for Chess, the UK CD of the concept album is noticeably lower in volume for some bizarre reason, even without ripping it to Itunes. What? no one's heard the song 'One Night in Bangkok' ?? It was the only song that got radio airplay with a lot of folk not knowing it came from an actual musical.
Old 07-29-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally saw this over the weekend. Fabulous, fabulous show. Probably the best Broadway show I've ever seen, and I've been to dozens over the years. Not to give anything away, but after listening to the soundtrack countless times before seeing the show, I was quite amazed at an unexpected twist in the 2nd act. Still had me thinking about it today. If anyone here gets the chance, please do not let this show pass by without you seeing it. I can not recommend it enough!
Old 07-30-13, 08:26 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I like it as well. Colm's voice is great as the Phantom.. I also have an anniversary DVD or Blu-Ray, can't remember, where he sings part of Valjean in Les Mis. A great and powerful voice that lends itself well to roles that he plays.
Old 08-08-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like it as well. Colm's voice is great as the Phantom.. I also have an anniversary DVD or Blu-Ray, can't remember, where he sings part of Valjean in Les Mis. A great and powerful voice that lends itself well to roles that he plays.
The 10th anniversary Les Mis concert? That was released by BBC on DVD only. The 25th anniversary was released on BD, which is great, but I much prefer the 10th cast.

I think my first experience of Wilkinson was in the Evita recording, which didn't thrill me (I might have already been accustomed to Patinkin), but agree he was great in this role.
Old 08-08-13, 05:10 PM

^ have you happened to have heard the new cast recording of 'Evita' with Ricky Martin - is he any good?

oh and speaking of Anthony Rapp (mentioned earlier) just got the news that he will be in the musical with Idina Menzel - If/Then - have my tix for this in November -
Old 08-08-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ have you happened to have heard the new cast recording of 'Evita' with Ricky Martin - is he any good?
I have not. It interests me, because it's probably my favorite ALW show (and the one Sondheim fans are allowed to like ), but I've heard multiple recordings and never wanted to go back to anything other than the OBC.

It also doesn't help that my genre collecting has fallen off the last few years due to lack of listening time.

oh and speaking of Anthony Rapp (mentioned earlier) just got the news that he will be in the musical with Idina Menzel - If/Then - have my tix for this in November -
I would be so in for a Rapp and Menzel reunion... if I weren't on the opposite coast.

Although, damn, I'm tentatively planning an NYC vacation early next year. I wonder...
Old 08-11-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amazon BD Deal of the Week is Les Miz 25/Phantom 25/Love Never Dies for $35.
Old 09-26-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

updates:

Judy Kuhn
Solid album from Kuhn, though after two listens I can't say it stuck out as distinctive or particularly memorable. I'll listen to it again, but I deleted it from my phone when I needed space. Slightly disappointing.
Old 10-07-13, 10:22 PM

some other new releases:

The Last Five Years - 2013 Off-Broadway Cast Recording

50 SHADES! THE MUSICAL - Original Cast Recording

LIZZIE - Original Studio Cast
"A double-disc set packed with murder, incest, love, betrayal, sexual manipulation, evidence tampering, bribery, and balls-to-the-wall rock and roll, LIZZIE is a female-fronted rock concept album"

First Date - Original Broadway Cast Recording (available 10/15)

Matilda: the Musical - Original Broadway Cast Recording (available 10/22)

~~

okay this isn't "Broadway" but has anyone heard the import of the West End musical of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'?

Old 10-09-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

some other new releases:

The Last Five Years - 2013 Off-Broadway Cast Recording
I consider myself very familiar with the works of Jason Robert Brown... except for this show, oddly. I missed a chance to see a local production in order to go the movies and see some sci-fi movie called Serenity, and haven't run across a production since. My kid's high school just did an impressive version of Songs for a New World, and I saw Parade when it was not that far removed from Broadway and JRB was actually conducting in the pit.

Anyway, I own the OCR and need to familiarize myself with it.

First Date - Original Broadway Cast Recording (available 10/15)
I saw this show pre-Broadway in Seattle, and it amused me but the music didn't really stand out. I'm a Chuck fan so I may pick this up at some point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.