Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ended up getting this. I think I'll be getting better playback if I have a dedicated preamp as opposed to running it directly through the my Onkyo 705.

My only problem is that I forgot it needed an additional set of RCA cables and I had to order them after the fact.

Spoiler:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phon...reamp+pro-ject
I also bought that one back in January.

I liked it when it was working, but the left channel gave out on me 45 days in, so keep an eye out (or an ear out).

I was tearing my system apart trying to figure out what the heck happened, and it was the pre-amp.

I bought thru amazon, so got my money back, I picked this one up, as I had purchased from parts express for my 2nd TT system in the basement and I liked it. The only drawback are the blinding lights, so I shut it off on a separate power surge as it has no on/off.

They dropped the cost even more, I bought it from parts express for $50 in Feb, then amazon for $41 in march, now its $32.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it though...
Old 05-01-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Good to know on that. I did buy it from Amazon, so there's that.
Old 05-02-17, 11:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Got my Sunny Day Real Estate and Dillinger Escape Plan RSD titles from bullmoose. glad I only had to pay MSRP.
Also got the newest M.O.O.N. album, a couple days before its digital release, even.
Old 05-03-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fired up the pre-amp and it is glorious. The difference is night and day in terms of midrange levels. In addition to that -- way less hiss, crackle, and pops. Also, the volume levels don't need to get cranked up that high. I remember before the preamp I'd have to raise the levels between 16db - 20db. Now with the preamp I can leave it at around 25db and it is loud enough.

So I would advise folks to get themselves a standalone preamp as oppose to plugging it directly into their AVR's Phono input. It may sound good enough in the short term, but you really want to get a dedicated preamp and take it to the next level.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-03-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review! Definitely the way to go.
Old 05-05-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grateful Dead - Cornell 5/8/77 5LP box release day. "The holy grail of Dead shows."

Old 05-07-17, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool to hear! Glad it's kicking some ass! If I understand right, you're saying to get an external preamp even if you have a reciever with phonograph input?

Fired up the pre-amp and it is glorious. The difference is night and day in terms of midrange levels. In addition to that -- way less hiss, crackle, and pops. Also, the volume levels don't need to get cranked up that high. I remember before the preamp I'd have to raise the levels between 16db - 20db. Now with the preamp I can leave it at around 25db and it is loud enough.

So I would advise folks to get themselves a standalone preamp as oppose to plugging it directly into their AVR's Phono input. It may sound good enough in the short term, but you really want to get a dedicated preamp and take it to the next level.
Old 05-08-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Very cool to hear! Glad it's kicking some ass! If I understand right, you're saying to get an external preamp even if you have a reciever with phonograph input?
Yup, that is what I am saying.
Old 05-08-17, 07:46 AM

So sometimes little tweaks make a huge difference.

I ended up buying a gently used pair of Sonus Faber Chameleons for my new speakers. I don't think they were even broken in. They started sounding even better last week. But they were missing the carpet spikes which sit in a tiny metal disc on wood floors. The discs were included but useless alone. So I just had them sitting directly on the floor.

Someone put SVS Sub rubber on a pair and had good results. Those feet are $100 for 8 of them on Amazon! Now maybe someday I will get drunk and order them. I am sure they will look nice.

I have some sound isolation pads I used with my stacked Advents. I ended up finding them in a moving box that was hiding in a closet. I put those underneath the speakers and WOW! What bass! They just really opened up. Fuller soundstage. The speakers just went up several notches. My wife even noticed the immediate difference so it has to be real!

This is what they look like essentially

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009416U9Q/
Old 05-08-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I used to have speaker stands like that, with the rubber lining and all.
While they helped if the speakers were on hard floors, they made no difference if the speakers were on carpet.
Old 05-08-17, 10:21 AM

Probably not which is why you'd want spikes alone on carpet. But we have wood flooring.
Old 05-08-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These are my main tower speakers. They're beauties:

JBL ND310 3-Way

The ones pictured here are not actually mine -- I just found a picture online. Same ones, though.
Old 05-08-17, 02:59 PM

Yup, that is what I am saying.
Interesting. It gets me thinking.... And damn, those are some sexy speakers!

So.... It looks like I am getting closer and closer to a true set up. My wife dropped a hint (I think by accident) about getting me a new phono. I'm heading towards the Fluance. I've been eyeing reviews and there's a lot of complaints about the speed and motor, so I'm hoping maybe its a bad batch as Fluance does not make the motor itself.

If I go the route I am going, it looks like shelf speakers will have to be right next to the player, so those pads MBoyd, look to be like something I will need to add.
Old 05-08-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone familiar w the Audio-Technica AT-LP60? For the budget i'm on, i assume it would be sutible for my needs. a decent player that has good to great sound and easy to use https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...audio+technica
Old 05-08-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
anyone familiar w the Audio-Technica AT-LP60? For the budget i'm on, i assume it would be sutible for my needs. a decent player that has good to great sound and easy to use https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...audio+technica

I had that one up until I got my U-Turn Orbit TT 2.5 months ago. It's the one I had for 4 years.
Old 05-08-17, 07:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Skip that shit and get a real TT.
Old 05-10-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

woo hoo! Resurrected my Technics SL-1500. I'd been having real problems getting it to keep a constant speed, and since I just De-Oxit'd the trim pots I was kinda worried. But I read that the culprit is often the 33/45 selector switch, so I gave all three controllers another spray tonight. Works like a champ again. Off to listen to some vinyl...
Old 05-10-17, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
Skip that shit and get a real TT.
Dan! I was gonna post this in the video game thread but thought you would see this sooner. Did you order the last guardian vinyl? I saw it was available and placed my order!
Old 05-11-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Okay, so I got a warped record that I figured I'd try to fix via the sandwich between glass and place in oven technique. I went pretty light, only 10 minutes in 170-degrees, then with weights on it until it cooled.
You think I should give it another go, or is this good enough?

Before:

After:

(FWIW, even before, it sounded fine)
Old 05-11-17, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Leave it. Sounds great.
Old 05-11-17, 08:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Dan! I was gonna post this in the video game thread but thought you would see this sooner. Did you order the last guardian vinyl? I saw it was available and placed my order!
Nice! I didn't. I'm trying (and failing, mind you) to "buy less" right now, so I couldn't justify that one, especially since I haven't played the game yet. Good to see it's finally in stock I've heard elsewhere that they've even started shipping them out to customers who pre-ordered

But man... my video game vinyl collection is... a bit much.
Old 05-11-17, 08:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Okay, so I got a warped record that I figured I'd try to fix via the sandwich between glass and place in oven technique. I went pretty light, only 10 minutes in 170-degrees, then with weights on it until it cooled.
You think I should give it another go, or is this good enough?
You could probably give it one more shot, but I wouldn't do any more than that. Awesome results so far, honestly!
Old 05-11-17, 09:52 AM

Leave it. Sounds great.
That was a big difference. I am impressed with the technique!
Old 05-11-17, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
Nice! I didn't. I'm trying (and failing, mind you) to "buy less" right now, so I couldn't justify that one, especially since I haven't played the game yet. Good to see it's finally in stock I've heard elsewhere that they've even started shipping them out to customers who pre-ordered

But man... my video game vinyl collection is... a bit much.
Haha, yea I am cutting down too. In fact I was just bragging to my sister that I am pretty much where I want to be, theres maye 3 more albums out there that I "gotta have" .... than this popped into my head. I went to their website and it no longer said preorder so I jumped.
Old 05-11-17, 12:53 PM

Very impressive Slop!! Where did you get the glass? I would imagine getting 12x12 squares at a glass place would do it, but what method did you follow?

I have maybe ONE record that is warped like that and it doesn't sound bad, but I hate seeing my needle jump like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.