Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 03-22-13, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I got one as well.
Old 03-22-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

And now I'll have to schedule myself in for RSD. Looks to be like a cool event all around. It'll be my first.
Old 03-22-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who missed out and really wants it, just be patient. eBay will be flooded in a few weeks. I really don't think these will flip.
Old 03-22-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Well, thats the point. You go to your record store and see what they have and buy other shit while you are there. It's not just a day to go buy stuff you'll be selling on eBay, it's a day to support the indie record store and not just by buying the exclusive crap.

BY the way, was it last year?, I traveled around to 3 different stores to find the red vinyl Wilco 10" and never found one. Bought one on eBay for about the same price only to find out Wilco was selling it on their website for months after RSD. The shit should be EXCLUSIVE if it has a RSD designation.
Regardless, it's still kind of a stupid concept. They draw people in by the idea that they'll be able to get these exclusives and half the time they aren't available. The majority of the people who are aware of Record Store Day are probably the more hardcore fans who already shop at whatever local shop they have. If the idea is to draw new people they'd be better off just having a sale on in stock items most likely.

Also it isn't intended as being a day for scalpers obviously but as with anything limited it inevitably happens. There's always tons of the exclusive items floating around afterwards that's marked sky high.

Truthfully I wouldn't even bother trying to go out this year. The only thing I want off the list is that South Park picture disc. I'll try getting it on eBay for a decent price if I can.
Old 03-22-13, 11:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I like RSD because it's an excuse to go to the record store. I'm too busy these days to go as often as I would like.
If I can manage to get an exclusive or two, awesome. But I don't set my expectations too high, and just buy stuff (exclusive or not) that I'm interested in.
Old 03-22-13, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, for me RSD is just a good excuse to go to Amoeba. I was able to get the Chronic Town EP reissue last year, so not everything gets grabbed by ebayers.
Old 03-22-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
Regardless, it's still kind of a stupid concept. They draw people in by the idea that they'll be able to get these exclusives and half the time they aren't available. The majority of the people who are aware of Record Store Day are probably the more hardcore fans who already shop at whatever local shop they have. If the idea is to draw new people they'd be better off just having a sale on in stock items most likely.

Also it isn't intended as being a day for scalpers obviously but as with anything limited it inevitably happens. There's always tons of the exclusive items floating around afterwards that's marked sky high.

Truthfully I wouldn't even bother trying to go out this year. The only thing I want off the list is that South Park picture disc. I'll try getting it on eBay for a decent price if I can.
I agree with you. The lady that runs the closest record store to me told me to just tell her what I want and she'll stash it for me to keep it away from the eBay lurkers. I'm sure a lot of that goes on. The owners are aware of the eBay nuisance but what can you do? Also, different stores order everything but only get certain things. By nature, it's a hit and miss prospect. That's what makes it fun!

There's never anything I REALLY want. Just a few novelties. If I go home with one thing, that's cool with me. Based on that list previously posted, I don't want anything this year. I'll have to look over it again.
Old 03-22-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This just came in:

Old 03-22-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86

I agree with everything. They treat RSD like it's this Black Friday for music, but what they forget is that things are deeply discounted on BF, whereas on Record Store Day you're paying $20 for a 7 inch single that normally would be $5. The ebay scalpers have ruined RSD because prices have skyrocketed in the past few years compared to 2009.
Old 03-23-13, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I go to the music store regularly so I'm usually just going to RSD for the exclusives, why the hell else would I get up so damn early on a Saturday.

As for vinyl in general, I'm really only in it for two reasons: to hear things that aren't on CD and to browse different music on the cheap. There is so much music out there that a person hasn't heard that vinyl makes completely accessible. For me, I love the 70's and 80's so if there is a genre that I haven't heard much of in that time, just peruse the vinyl section and you'll find something new and awesome.

Just think of those classic bands that people enjoy and then add on top of that solo careers: that's plenty of new music to listen to and vinyl offers a way to enjoy it at low risk.
Old 03-23-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just received the soundtrack for They Live yesterday from Death Waltz Recording

[IMG]
They Live soundtrack by Jayderek18, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-23-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ You go, boy!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-24-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My newest is:

Old 03-25-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-25-13, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice.
Old 03-27-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-30-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-30-13, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a record store in Oklahoma City. I love vinyl.

Record Store Day is awesome and it's totally working because it's our best day of the year. We do very well otherwise but RSD certainly helps.

I can tell you (anecdotal sure) we sell more LPs than CDs, by a huge margin. It surprises me sometimes.

Here's my next vinyl purchase:

Old 03-31-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone here post pics of their collection on instagram? I use the hashtag #JackLikesVinyl for my stuff. Wow.. I haven't been on this forum in FOREVER.
Old 04-01-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abe.
Anyone here post pics of their collection on instagram? I use the hashtag #JackLikesVinyl for my stuff. Wow.. I haven't been on this forum in FOREVER.
I do, but there's no special hashtag designation that I use. I just use #vinyl and that's it.
Old 04-01-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Just curious..how many pieces of vinyl do you guys own?
Old 04-01-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
I just got into vinyl within the last month - I've probably got about 10 or less? Any of the ones I've posted and I do have a few others in transit.
Old 04-01-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My newest acquisition. Nostalgia, ya gotta love it!

Old 04-01-13, 09:52 PM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I have around three hundred or so. I gotta trim it down though. There's a lot of shit I don't listen to.
Old 04-02-13, 05:25 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've been collecting for about 40 years or so, have about 469 vinyl LPs, along with an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable, an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver, and a pair of Sony floor standing speakers that double for my home theater setup.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.