Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Hey guys, I have a question about setup.

So I have an Audio Technica AT LP 60. It's the one with the pre-amp inside. I then have the turntable hooked up to a receiver with a phono input (and Martin Logan speakers connected to the receiver).

When I play records on it, it sounds pretty good.

With that said, when I stream music through my computer, I like how I have more control of my volume. It's almost like there are three different ways to control the volume--the volume button on the computer itself, the volume button on the streaming service, and then the volume button on the receiver.

With my current turntable set up, I just have one source for controlling the volume--the receiver. This leads to, as my ears hear it, not as much sound range in the music, and it leads me to have to turn the music volume up to 40-45 to get it to really thump, as compared to around 30-33 when I stream.

So what I'm wondering is...what can I buy to sort of fix this problem? I'm assuming I would need something to connect the turntable into, and then from there, connect whatever that intermediary device is into the receiver.

So, what is that---a phono amplifier? Just an amplifier? Is there something that can work with this particular turntable I have (I assume with whatever I buy, I'd have to turn the amp setting on the turntable off, correct)?

At the end of the day, I'd love to have a device that allows me to control the volume (and maybe even one or two other settings), and then have my receiver allow me to control the volume as well--so I can have much more flexibility over the sound and what source is controlling the sound, like I do with my streaming music.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 07-09-14 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I would say that's normal. You're hearing it in its most natural state. Louder does NOT equal better.

Then again, that's my preference. I just turn it up a bit more as opposed to tweaking settings and whatnot.
Old 07-10-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Hey guys, I have a question about setup...
Correct, you'll want a phono preamp, and turn the on-board amp off on the LP-60. That should help!
Old 07-11-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got my shipping notice for the Mondo LP of Gravity. It's about fucking time.
Old 07-11-14, 11:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Still waiting on mine.
Mine, too!

My JP vinyl was supposed to arrive yesterday, but I think Canada Post fucked up. I'm not impressed...

Last edited by Dan; 07-11-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoon offer Vinyl Gratification Program

Often, when you pre-order a record from iTunes or other online retailers, you receive "instant gratification" downloads of early singles. Spoon's Britt Daniel had a valid question: Why couldn't they offer the same purchase incentives to customers who pre-ordered vinyl from independent record stores? They've come up with an interesting solution to that problem.

It's called the Vinyl Gratification program. Spoon have teamed up with 150 independent retailers. Starting tomorrow (July 15), if you pre-order They Want My Soul (out August 5 via Loma Vista) from one of those stores, they'll hand you a 10" record in a plain white sleeve featuring three songs from the album. Then, come back to the store on (or after) August 5, hand them your pre-order receipt, and pick up the full album.

Daniel writes:

If like me, you’ve ever rushed home with a brand new record that you couldn’t wait to play—and couldn’t actually play until you slapped it onto your turntable—I hope the Vinyl Gratification program will bring back some magic for you. And I hope you’ll join us in supporting the independent record shops that have supported us for so long.

The program will soon expand to international stores. Find a full list of participating shops here.
Old 07-14-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auto
Spoon offer Vinyl Gratification Program

Often, when you pre-order a record from iTunes or other online retailers, you receive "instant gratification" downloads of early singles. Spoon's Britt Daniel had a valid question: Why couldn't they offer the same purchase incentives to customers who pre-ordered vinyl from independent record stores? They've come up with an interesting solution to that problem.

It's called the Vinyl Gratification program. Spoon have teamed up with 150 independent retailers. Starting tomorrow (July 15), if you pre-order They Want My Soul (out August 5 via Loma Vista) from one of those stores, they'll hand you a 10" record in a plain white sleeve featuring three songs from the album. Then, come back to the store on (or after) August 5, hand them your pre-order receipt, and pick up the full album.

Daniel writes:

If like me, you’ve ever rushed home with a brand new record that you couldn’t wait to play—and couldn’t actually play until you slapped it onto your turntable—I hope the Vinyl Gratification program will bring back some magic for you. And I hope you’ll join us in supporting the independent record shops that have supported us for so long.

The program will soon expand to international stores. Find a full list of participating shops here.
That's a pretty awesome deal... I'll have to go to my local tomorrow
Old 07-15-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Gravity score LP from Mondo showed up today. I really like the artwork. I will crack it open and spin tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-16-14, 11:09 AM

Mondo Batman vinyl at comic con

http://comicsalliance.com/mondo-batm...-harley-quinn/
Old 07-16-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Crud. I want that. Will we be able to order from Mondo or is it a comic-con exclusive?
Old 07-16-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They'll sometimes put extras on their web site from events like these. I imagine there will likely be no extras from this one though. This will be a very popular set.
Old 07-16-14, 04:41 PM

I bet there's at least one version that makes it online.
Old 07-19-14, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Surf Nazis Must Die pre-order up at LITA. Never thought I'd see the day where this made its way to vinyl.

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/...ure-soundtrack
Old 07-19-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I have a friend who's a big vinyl enthusiast, yet listens to everything on a Jensen "all in one" turntable/amp/speaker combo, $49 at WalMart. She has great taste in music too.

For her birthday I was able to pick up a Gemini TT, Harman Kardon amp, and Infinity speakers all on Craigslist. It's so great for a vinyl enthusiast to have a respectable system. Sure, it's not top-of-the-line by any means, but I was able to do this all for less than $150 by searching out the best deals and pouncing. Just a heads-up to anyone considering taking the step into vinyl, or at least branching out from one of those Ion USB jobs.
Old 07-19-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a nice birthday present and a huge upgrade. Those all in one things sound horrible.
Old 07-20-14, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Paff
I have a friend who's a big vinyl enthusiast, yet listens to everything on a Jensen "all in one" turntable/amp/speaker combo, $49 at WalMart. She has great taste in music too.

For her birthday I was able to pick up a Gemini TT, Harman Kardon amp, and Infinity speakers all on Craigslist. It's so great for a vinyl enthusiast to have a respectable system. Sure, it's not top-of-the-line by any means, but I was able to do this all for less than $150 by searching out the best deals and pouncing. Just a heads-up to anyone considering taking the step into vinyl, or at least branching out from one of those Ion USB jobs.
Good job!

Walking through Waterloo Records here I see so much vinyl being sold to young college aged girls from UT I guess. I always wonder what they are listening to it on. Some of them are buying 3-4 $25 records at a time! And I complained about the occasional $15 CD when I was in college. Of course what was I listening on? A Wal Mart bought boom box. Probably not much different, except it didn't ruin CDs.

So my project is finally done for a while. Traded in my Luxman pre and got this nifty tube pre. And those are the rejiggered Hafler amps. They aint pretty on the outside! And yes that's a Jurassic Park on the TT with the new Ortofon Bronze still breaking in

Old 07-21-14, 06:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh that makes me so hard.
Old 07-21-14, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Ugh that makes me so hard.
Hehe . . .

Funny because the Dared pre amp remote is actually WOOD

Made a video just for you . . .

http://youtu.be/NewN_fCGtp0
Old 07-21-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice
Old 07-22-14, 12:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Hehe . . .

Funny because the Dared pre amp remote is actually WOOD

Made a video just for you . . .

http://youtu.be/NewN_fCGtp0
You beautiful bastard.
Old 07-22-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know much about audio gear.

I have a Denon AV receiver, Cambridge Audio phono stage, Pro-ject turntable, and big Energy speakers with Emotiva subwoofer. Sounds great. (Same system runs the home theater.)
Old 07-22-14, 09:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

If one were interested in buying a tube amp (or pre amp?)... and one didn't want to break the bank... are there any particular models/brands that you guys would suggest? Is it possible to get a decent one for under $500 (or less!)?
Old 07-22-14, 09:24 AM

You might look on eBay at Yaqin. Chinese made modern tube stuff. Similar to my Dared I guess. Dared is on eBay too.

Other than that probably vintage. My local vintage shop has a vintage Scott pre with telefunken tubes for around 500.
Old 07-22-14, 09:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I love the look of that Dared
I might go vintage... no rush... just trying to figure out what I want. I'll check out some local shops and see what they've got.
Old 07-22-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pre-order

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.