Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I picked up Butch Devo and the Sundance Gig, Otis Redding and the Muppet Movie soundtrack.
Really wanted the Sam Cooke, Ghostbusters and Devo live at Max's but those went right away. I'll try to find some places online.
Old 04-19-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was first in line for my store. Got a sweet swag bag. Wasn't able to get College or the Dragon Blood but I snagged:

Anamamguchi - Scott Pilgrim
Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
Opeth - watershed
Dessa - Castor the Twin
Chvrches - Recover EP
Old 04-19-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Skipping RSD but getting the Under the Skin score:

I'm thinking a shitload of vinyl enthusiasts saw the film yesterday, because I wasn't going to buy it right away since Amazon said it had 16 copies left but when I checked this morning it said that there was only 1 left. I had to snag it.
Old 04-19-14, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I snapped a few pics of my current setup. I just moved and got rid of the stand I was using. I've been thinking of building a custom stand for it. I also still have to put vinyl on the first shelf.

Old 04-19-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very retro and very cool.

You don't actually set that device on the speaker do you? Or was that just for the picture? Never set anything on your speakers, because you will get bad or distorted playback. Let those bad boys breathe.
Old 04-19-14, 11:10 AM

I haven't figured out where I'm going to put it yet. The two vinyl shelves are new so I'm trying different stuff. That device is a magnavox cd player from 1988. Best cd player I've ever had. It will play scratched cds that no other player will play.
Old 04-19-14, 11:12 AM

My mom bought the Boston Acoustics in 1981 along with the equalizer which isn't hooked up. I have her original receiver around, but it's not working.
Old 04-19-14, 02:15 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

What is the cheapest yet best quality way to start up a turntable listening station.

I've been following this thread (had vinyl in the past, shitty player tho), and will buy the Orbit U-Turn. However, I do not have a receiver nor a pre-amp (or anything else that must be needed). I have 5.1 logitech speakers with a sub that I am hoping I can use as speakers for the turntable. I spent time researching but am still in need of some help. What specific item recommendations would you guys make for someone on a budget who is willing to pay a bit more for higher quality. I'm not trying to break the bank but if it's worth it for the upgrade I'll do it. Recommendations?
Old 04-19-14, 03:48 PM

I've gotten good stuff at thrift shops and flea markets. It just takes time and multiple trips to find it. I got the receiver in my post above for $30 at a flea market. It's mint and came with the original box, packing materials, and manual. It would have cost me several hundred dollars elsewhere.

I prefer vintage equipment. If that's the route you want to take, I suggest checking out audiokarma.org.
Old 04-19-14, 04:03 PM

I was 22 in my line and I got up thee at 5 am. No Paranorman or Ghostbusters for me.

My haul

the 2 Wes Montgomery 10"ers
Wanda Jackson 7"
Bowie 1984 7"
Dolly Parton 7"

Joe Strummer and the Pogues
Pink panther
Bullitt
Sun Records sampler
johnny Cash
Notorious BIG
ICE T
Public Enemy

Probably would have bought The Doors if I remembered. Doubt it will be a difficult find.
Old 04-19-14, 05:27 PM

I didn't get any of the exclusives this year. I probably would have gotten the Notorious BIG if they had it when I got there at 1:00 or so this afternoon.

Instead I got:
Talking Heads '77
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Lou Reed - Transformer
The Hollies - Best of
Beach Boys - Endless Summer
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Buddy Holly - 20 Golden Greats

All for ~$80 or so
Old 04-19-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I wanted to get the RSD Death Cab, but I missed out on that. I did pick up

Opeth -- Watershed
Motorhead -- Aftershock
Dream Theater -- Illumination Theory
Green Day -- Demolicious

I also got a Matador records sampler, mainly because it was $2.99 and it has at least 2 songs I liked on it and some bands I have at least heard of
Old 04-19-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my first time showing up for Record Store Day. I got there at like 8:30 and waited in line for over 2 hours in the rain before I even got in the store. And even then it was another 10 minutes before I even touched a record. I was only really looking for Death Waltz's release of the Bronx Warriors soundtrack, which they didn't have by the time I got in there. There was nothing else I was too excited about, but I grabbed a Veruca Salt It's Holy for the hell of it, I used to really like them before I discovered metal.

Either way, it was pretty fun despite the rain, and I should be on the news briefly later on tonight, a reporter was in the store interviewing a guy right behind me. Here's the print story, I'm in the brown jacket next to the guy with the black and white umbrella:

http://www.wral.com/records-headline/13579774/
Old 04-19-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have my eyes peeled for Only Lovers Left Alive vinyl score. It's about 30 with tax through Amazon. I will wait for it to go down in price.
Old 04-19-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

8 photos of amazing Record Collections from around the world, People Magazine
Old 04-19-14, 11:34 PM

Went out one more time and grabbed:

MGMT - Congratualtiond
Fleetwood Mac 7"
Also, was given this awesome 10" compilation of Finnish music, really enjoyed that one.
Old 04-20-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
This was my first time showing up for Record Store Day. I got there at like 8:30 and waited in line for over 2 hours in the rain before I even got in the store. And even then it was another 10 minutes before I even touched a record. I was only really looking for Death Waltz's release of the Bronx Warriors soundtrack, which they didn't have by the time I got in there. There was nothing else I was too excited about, but I grabbed a Veruca Salt It's Holy for the hell of it, I used to really like them before I discovered metal.

Either way, it was pretty fun despite the rain, and I should be on the news briefly later on tonight, a reporter was in the store interviewing a guy right behind me. Here's the print story, I'm in the brown jacket next to the guy with the black and white umbrella:

http://www.wral.com/records-headline/13579774/
Wow. Glad you had a good time.

Again, it makes me think how very fortunate I am to live where I do. Got to the first store we visited about 40 minutes before they opened, and were fourth in line. Got free coffee and donuts while we waited. By the time the doors opened at 9am, the line stretched back to the end of the building, but everyone was very cool. Got in, was able to get everything I was looking for, and my friend almost everything he wanted. No pushing, shoving or craziness. If you saw something you wanted, but couldn't quite reach it, all you had to do was ask, and someone closer would hand it go you. Left with a nice goodie bag along with my purchases, too. Then it was off to store number 2, where we were able to get the other couple of records my buddy was looking for, under pretty much the same circumstances as the first store.
Old 04-20-14, 12:18 AM

My first RSD was very positive, with the exception of some cow in line behind us who was getting all bent out of shape for numerous reasons. Everyone else was very cool and it was nice to talk to some people who've been doing this for a very, very long time. One thing that sucked is the wind was strong and had a serious bite to it for the time I waited in line, I was freezing my ass off for a very long time.

Only bummer was that I wasn't able to get the College - Northern Council as my store didn't receive any. If for some reason anyone is looking for Dessa's Castor the Twin or Atmosphere's Lake Nokomis single, and would like to do a trade of sorts, I would gladly be able to as my local store has a decent amount of both for the print runs being low, regional release I'm sure.
Old 04-20-14, 01:23 AM

Only managed to pick up the Garbage 10" and the Harry Dean Stanton 7". My store didn't even get any copies of Green Day or Veruca Salt, which were the two I really wanted.
Old 04-20-14, 02:46 PM

Went back out to find the Doors, Muppet Movie or maybe Sharon Jones that I missed. No luck. Lots of unpopular stock left, but not a lot I recognized. I did find one copy of The Ramones 10" and grabbed it.
Old 04-20-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
My first RSD was very positive, with the exception of some cow in line behind us who was getting all bent out of shape for numerous reasons. Everyone else was very cool and it was nice to talk to some people who've been doing this for a very, very long time. One thing that sucked is the wind was strong and had a serious bite to it for the time I waited in line, I was freezing my ass off for a very long time.

Only bummer was that I wasn't able to get the College - Northern Council as my store didn't receive any. If for some reason anyone is looking for Dessa's Castor the Twin or Atmosphere's Lake Nokomis single, and would like to do a trade of sorts, I would gladly be able to as my local store has a decent amount of both for the print runs being low, regional release I'm sure.
Check my local indie store's online site tomorrow. They ship nationwide, and usually get a decent amount of RSD stuff between all their locations, and will put up the leftovers available for sale then. Don't know if they will have what you're looking for among that, but their prices are excellent, and it sure beats going through eBay flippers.

http://www.bullmoose.com
Old 04-20-14, 04:24 PM

Just saw a post on FB from Encore Records here in Austin that I didn't visit yesterday. Apparently Aziz Ansari was a customer yesterday. Pretty cool. That was probably the spot to visit even if you got up a little late. Waterloos line was crazy by 8 am.
Old 04-21-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Record Store Day quite fruitful this year. This is what I got:

12" LPs
Public Enemy It Takes a Nation of Millions (lenticular cover)
Tame Impala Live Versions (green vinyl)
The Zombies Odessey And Oracle
Of Montreal Satanic Panic In The Attic (blue and yellow vinyl)
The Dresden Dolls The Dresden Dolls (red and black swirled vinyl)
The Pixies Indie Cindy with bonus 7" inside
Jimmy Page and Black Crows Live at the Greek (3LP on red, clear, and blue vinyl)

10"
Creedence Clearwater Revival The 69 Singles (white vinyl)
Ramones Meltdown with the Ramones (blue vinyl)

7"
Devo & Flaming Lips Gates of Steel (split on silverish vinyl)
White Denim A Place To Start (white vinyl)
Lake Street Dive What I'm Doing Here
Mystery RSD Release (Love and Rush split on orange/yellow vinyl)
Conor Oberst
Dawes and Conor Oberst split
Paramore "broken record"

The BEST item?

By the way, what's with the Ghostbusters thing? I don't get it.
Old 04-21-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Applejack
I didn't get any of the exclusives this year. I probably would have gotten the Notorious BIG if they had it when I got there at 1:00 or so this afternoon.

Instead I got:
Talking Heads '77
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Lou Reed - Transformer
The Hollies - Best of
Beach Boys - Endless Summer
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Buddy Holly - 20 Golden Greats

All for ~$80 or so
$80? You were robbed, dude.
Old 04-21-14, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Check my local indie store's online site tomorrow. They ship nationwide, and usually get a decent amount of RSD stuff between all their locations, and will put up the leftovers available for sale then. Don't know if they will have what you're looking for among that, but their prices are excellent, and it sure beats going through eBay flippers.

http://www.bullmoose.com
Thanks for the heads-up! That's awesome. I was able to snag a College - Northern Council, so now I'm only looking for the Farcry 3: Blood Dragon Soundtrack...I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when they hit the website...I'm sure it'll be a frenzy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.