Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-11-17, 03:12 PM   #3101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The VINYL Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Very impressive Slop!! Where did you get the glass? I would imagine getting 12x12 squares at a glass place would do it, but what method did you follow?
I cut the glass myself here at work and took them home.
I cut 14" squares so it would easily cover the whole record with some overlap, but more than 16" might not fit most ovens, so be careful.
I set my oven to the lowest it would go (170-F), but I've heard you can pump it up to 250 and be fine. I went with 10 minutes, though I've heard you can go up to 30 minutes (I also put a wood block on top and a skillet to hold it down) in the oven, then took it out, still in the glass, putting it on the counter with a couple heavy books on it until it cooled. I might try it again, slightly hotter and a few more minutes, to see if I can eliminate the warp completely.
Old 05-12-17, 11:13 PM   #3102
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Guys, I'm so happy to share with you that Ive done it. I have upgraded!!!

My wife surprised me with the Fluance as an early anniversary gift. I hooked it up to the pioneer amp that belonged to my pop with some speakers and wow. Just fucking wow. I wish I could post a pic for ya'll. I'm in heaven. I'm a lucky guy
Old 05-12-17, 11:47 PM   #3103
DVD Talk Legend

Nice!!!!!!1!

Congrats, man!
Old 05-13-17, 12:51 AM   #3104
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

My wife surprised me with the Fluance as an early anniversary gift. I hooked it up to the pioneer amp that belonged to my pop with some speakers and wow. Just fucking wow. I wish I could post a pic for ya'll. I'm in heaven. I'm a lucky guy
Awesome man! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 05-13-17, 11:01 AM   #3105
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-13-17, 05:06 PM   #3106
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:

Awesome, enjoy the new gear!
Old 05-15-17, 04:24 PM   #3107

Thanks so much to all of ya'll. Suggestions have been great and going on this vinyl trip with ya'll has been fun and it will continue to be. I love the shared enthusiasm!

Sorry I was a bit quiet after posting but I have been jamming all weekend!!! I want to hear everything. I wont lie, the speed issues people have been having with this unit has scared me, so I wanted to run it through the gauntlet of stuff. I probably put it a solid 15 hours of play this weekend. Just kicked back, read, and jammed out. So far, it is purring like a kitten. I couldn't be happier.

I haven't posted a pic on here in forever, so I don't remember how, what do I do? Id love for ya'll to see the set up!

My (Too Many) DVDs
Wii Friend Code: 2036-1088-5135-3045
Mario Kart Wii Code: 1977-0748-1136
Old 05-15-17, 04:30 PM   #3108
Time Lord

Quote:

Mazel tov! The enthusiasm in your posts is infectious. May you have many happy hours listening to beautiful music!
Old 05-17-17, 09:41 AM   #3109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Mazel tov! The enthusiasm in your posts is infectious. May you have many happy hours listening to beautiful music!
Thanks man! Yea its a new journey going through all my oldies and the new experience they bring. Only negative is I had pretty much given a break to buying vinyl to save and and such but now.... Im kinda getting more stuff

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 05-30-17, 11:38 PM   #3110

Well guys after 2 weeks of putting my Fluance through the ringer, it has been awesome. I have heard at least one record a day and weekends were nothing but spinning vinyl. The best part is there have been zero motor issues! Its a whole different experience now.

And to make sure I am not just talking about myself, Waxworks Records has released Evil Dead 2! I was able to get the ash variant and as of this posting its still available. I was a bit hesitant as they haven't even shipped me The Thing or The Warriors despite having taken my money back in February.... grrrrr

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 05-31-17, 12:20 AM   #3111
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The Thing is supposed to ship sometime in June, so they say.

How many nickels are you putting on the cartridge??
Old 05-31-17, 09:39 AM   #3112

Soooooo, tomorrow? Lol

Funny thing, I bought a little Richard lp and it skipped more than anything and it was brand new. So I called the store and first thing they ask, what's the brand of your payer. And does it have a counter weight?
Old 06-02-17, 10:00 AM   #3113
DVD Talk Legend

My Escape From L.A. vinyl should be here today from Amazon.
Old 06-02-17, 12:58 PM   #3114
DVD Talk Legend

Just pre-ordered SQÜRL's album. This is Jim Jarmusch's band and they did the score for Only Lovers Left Alive which is a phenomenal score, imo.

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/c...9-squrl-ep-260

Spoiler:

Quote:
SQÜRL is: Jim Jarmusch, Carter Logan and Shane Stoneback.

An enthusiastically marginal rock band from New York City who like big drums & distorted guitars, cassette recorders, loops, feedback, sad country songs, molten stoner core, chopped & screwed hip-hop, and imaginary movie scores.

Contradictions embraced: Although SQÜRL’s music is anti-mathematic, SQÜRL loves mathematics. We love the Fibonacci numbers. And magic numbers. Perfect numbers. Bell numbers. Catalan numbers. 260 is none of these. It isn’t a perfect number, and not factional of any number. It’s not even a regular number. 260, though, is the number of days in all Mesoamerican calendars. The Mayan calendar. The Tzolkin calendar.

260 is also the number of days of human gestation. (Orangutans also). 260 also has an elliptical connection to the dark rift; a series of molecular dust clouds located between our solar system and the Sagittarius Arm of the Milky Way. And although not a magic number, 260 is the magic constant of the magic square investigated by Benjamin Franklin, and part of the solution to a famous chess problem; the n-queens problem for n=8. 260 is also the country code for Zambia. And the US area code for Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Therefore, SQÜRL has labeled this recording EP #260.

-Jim Jarmusch, March 1, 2017
Old 06-05-17, 07:35 PM   #3115
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone else is still waiting on their copies of The Thing from Waxwork Records, apparently they've said that they should finally start shipping this week.
Old 06-06-17, 08:08 PM   #3116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If anyone else is still waiting on their copies of The Thing from Waxwork Records, apparently they've said that they should finally start shipping this week.
Yea I'm waiting ever so impatiently. For that and the Warriors.
Old 06-11-17, 09:55 AM   #3117

Question guys, what do ya'll use to wipe off your records? I am noticing a lot of static lately and I don't know what is doing it. Ya know when you get a record and it has dust and bits of paper from the sleeve and all that, well I wipe it with a microfiber cloth one would use on their glasses.

Also, I preordered this, had to have it!:

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 06-11-17, 02:10 PM   #3118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Question guys, what do ya'll use to wipe off your records? I am noticing a lot of static lately and I don't know what is doing it. Ya know when you get a record and it has dust and bits of paper from the sleeve and all that, well I wipe it with a microfiber cloth one would use on their glasses.
I use this record cleaning brush on each side before every needle drop.

Static builds up when the air is dry. Putting a humidifier nearby can help a little, especially in winter. Storing your records in polyethylene sleeves can also help reduce static.
Old 06-11-17, 05:09 PM   #3119

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I use this record cleaning brush on each side before every needle drop.

Static builds up when the air is dry. Putting a humidifier nearby can help a little, especially in winter. Storing your records in polyethylene sleeves can also help reduce static.
Well I do have one of these:

But I had not considered the dryness. I live in a super dry place (Rocky Mountains) and a humidifier is on the to buy list, but I had no idea dry air can increase the static

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 06-11-17, 05:35 PM   #3120
DVD Talk Legend

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-AS...c+Record+Brush
Old 06-12-17, 10:05 AM   #3121

Oh I like that one, it has shorter bristles and would seem to be better!

Blu, did you get your Escape From L.A.? Howd that one turn out?

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 06-12-17, 11:50 AM   #3122
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Oh I like that one, it has shorter bristles and would seem to be better!

Blu, did you get your Escape From L.A.? Howd that one turn out?
I did -- it was fantastic. It's about equal parts synth, with some orchestral bits throughout -- since it was co-composed by Shirley Walker (Batman the Animated Series) I can see her influence in there. Definitely worth the green.
Old 06-12-17, 12:24 PM   #3123
DVD Talk Hero

Why So Blu, I just went to a local Fu Manchu show this Saturday and they were selling all kinds of newly pressed vinyl there. You can get some of them from their official store, but they had a bunch of stuff at the show that are sold out on their site and/or not even available there.

I ended up getting King of the Road - a 2x LP on translucent-yellow vinyl - it sounds great! Perfectly mastered for vinyl, flat and no noise! I would've bought more, but I didn't want to lug around a bunch of vinyl while watching a show!
Old 06-13-17, 01:36 AM   #3124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Why So Blu, I just went to a local Fu Manchu show this Saturday and they were selling all kinds of newly pressed vinyl there. You can get some of them from their official store, but they had a bunch of stuff at the show that are sold out on their site and/or not even available there.

I ended up getting King of the Road - a 2x LP on translucent-yellow vinyl - it sounds great! Perfectly mastered for vinyl, flat and no noise! I would've bought more, but I didn't want to lug around a bunch of vinyl while watching a show!

Thanks for that Fu Manchu update -- I actually have all of those albums in my collection. They posted a pic on their FB and Instagram pages that they are going to be giving away a test pressing of California Crossing -- it's a 3 LP set. They also mentioned that the finished album would be for sale later on this year via a couple different labels.

Quote:
“California Crossing” deluxe reissue 3LP test pressing giveaway. Go to the Fu Manchu Facebook / Instagram pages and leave your name in the comment section. We will be picking a winner to win this. It will be a 3LP set in a gatefold jacket. The reissue will be released on July 21st 2017 through Cargo distribution in Europe and through Cobraside distribution in the USA. It will be released on our own At The Dojo records. This is not the final artwork. This is done just for this test pressing.

LP 1 has the first set of demos that we recorded. This also has 3 unreleased songs and the arrangements on the other songs are different. This was recorded and mixed by Jim Rota / fireball ministry.

LP 2 was the 2nd set of demos we did for the final release and these were recorded and mixed by Matt Hyde. These are rawer versions of the final songs.

LP3 is the final release but has been remastered to make it a little heavier.

We will have copies for sale at shows and through our online store, Bigcartel. Info soon.

When ordering directly from the band you will also get a Fu Manchu keychain / bottle opener.

Maybe we will play a local show and do a bunch of these songs live when its released!
Old 06-13-17, 09:47 AM   #3125
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda don't care for demos and throw-off bonus tracks on vinyl. Cool for CDs, but waste of space for vinyl. Just give me that 3rd LP on it's own, and I'm good to go!