Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince: New website, new single, new album(?) for 2013

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.noise11.com/news/prince-l...-song-20130122

Prince Launches Surprise New Website And New Song

by Claire Hennekam on January 22, 2013

Prince keeps the surprises coming this month, with the sudden reveal this afternoon of a new website, containing a lyric video for his new song, ‘Screwdriver’, all in the lead-up to a new album.

The news came suddenly this afternoon via celebrity blogger Dr. Funkenberry, who initially simply posted “Shhh…” with a link to a previously unknown website.

Funkenberry had posted earlier today to announce that Prince was going to be on the cover of Billboard Magazine this week, following their recent announcement that he would be honoured with the Billboard Icon Award in 2013. A couple of weeks ago, the Doc held a webcast with fans to discuss a number of things, including the ongoing mystery of the ’3rd Eye Girl’ and also to discuss the possibility of a new Prince website, potentially with fan involvement.

So with fans thinking that the idea of a new website was still in its infancy, and busy lapping up the various photos, video and audio snippets that 3rd Eye Girl has been posting recently via Facebook and Twitter, the announcement was a surprise to everyone. Social media sites and fan sites dedicated to the purple one are buzzing with excitement tonight, with the new site making it very obvious in its design that there is more to come.

At the moment, there are three videos on the site and nothing else. The first is a lyric video for ‘Screwdriver’, a new song that had not been released in full until now. The second is a teaser video for a “Montreux” film, suggesting a video release (or similar) of the two shows Prince performed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2009. This would be a huge release, given how fans have pleaded with the star to share this highly-coveted footage for over three years now.

The third video on the site is another promotional one, this time for Andy Allo’s new album, Superconductor, which was produced by Prince. The video plays the single ‘People Pleaser’, while listing excerpts from various reviews, kicking things off with a quote from Noise11′s very own review of the album.

Amongst the videos leaked by 3rd Eye Girl was ‘Chapter and Verse’, a soundboard recording of a funky jam from one of Prince’s six shows at the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis last week.

Earlier this month, she posted a live recording of ‘I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man’ from one of Prince’s 2012 Chicago concerts. The 1987 song from his Sign O’ The Times album has been slowed right down and contains a stunning guitar solo – a new way of playing the song that he pioneered during his “Welcome 2 Australia” concerts in May last year.

Nothing that she has posted is currently on the new website, suggesting a desire to keep the two roles separate, with 3rd Eye Girl appearing to remain somewhat of a maverick within the purple camp.

The very latest from Dr. Funkenberry (as this is being typed) is that there is currently a listening party going on in Los Angeles for Prince’s new album.
TBH his latest single does nothing for me, but he is one of those artists that new music is always welcome from. I do like that he seems to be more into a rock direction of late especially with his new backing band.
Old 01-24-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prince: New website, new single, new album(?) for 2013

Fingers crossed that the Montreux footage will be released or licensed through normal channels and not be ridiculously difficult to obtain. Also, I'd love to see the full performance and a Blu-Ray release.
Old 01-24-13, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm always up for new Prince. It's not always good, but every so often it's great.
Old 01-25-13, 11:47 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

July 2010: The 52-year-old music icon has pronounced the internet dead, refusing to use any digital platforms to distribute his music
The internet lives!
Old 02-04-13, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he can properly release 20Ten stateside.
Old 02-06-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Few thoughts from a super fan... 1. no big hops for any quality to any dvd or blu ray he releases. Every single one of his releases have been utter shit quality wise. Which still burns my ass 13 years later. Only the Canadian version of Sign of the times movie is decent audio wise.

One GREAT thing lately is that slow version of I could never take the place of your man video that was posted on FB. My god that is the greatest thing he's done in a decade.
Old 02-11-13, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that I see on the site now is the opportunity to buy the 8 minute Screwdriver live film. Has the rest been taken down? Where can I see what was there, or am I missing something?
Old 03-02-13, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

He performed Screwdriver and Bambi on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night.

I like Bambi better.

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=oelwyafni4kmar5o-6fvea" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=fnw7twwvx7yjrel775k7_a" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-02-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Holy crap...how many years has it been since he's rocked a 'fro like that?
Old 03-05-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
He performed Screwdriver and Bambi on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night.

I like Bambi better.
Co-sign. Bambi was better. I liked the female guitar solo too.

I would love to see some legit concert footage released. He's still a great performer.
Old 03-06-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
Co-sign. Bambi was better. I liked the female guitar solo too.

I would love to see some legit concert footage released. He's still a great performer.
Bambi is an old song. It's from the 1979 CD simply called Prince, along with I Feel For You, I Wanna Be Your Lover, and Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad.

That said, yes Bambi is a better track, and Prince can still rock...
Old 03-06-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

During that performance, he also broke a vintage guitar that didn't belong to him (borrowed from the Roots' Captain Kirk Douglas), and then refused to even sign it when requested. This guy's a real asshole.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/1951...one-on-fallon/
Old 03-06-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow. That's beyond bad. Do what you want to your own shit, but respect other musicians' gear. I don't care if you're the President or the Pope...you break it, you buy it.
Old 03-20-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will he now be banned from Fallon lol?

Holy crap...how many years has it been since he's rocked a 'fro like that?
Dirty Mind era?
Old 03-20-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He gave an amazing epic-length concert at South-by-Southwest (SxSW) last weekend. He wore the audience out and lasted longer than they did--by this account an incredible show.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/17/sxsw-prince/
Old 03-24-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a new book about him that just came out

Celebrated journalist, TV personality, and award-winning author Touré investigates one of the most enigmatic and fascinating figures in contemporary American culture:

Drawing on new research and enlivened by Touré’s unique pop-cultural fluency, I Would Die 4 U relies on surprising and in-depth interviews with Prince’s band members, former girlfriends, musicologists, and even Bible scholars to deconstruct the artist’s life and work.
http://books.simonandschuster.com/I-.../9781476705545

Old 05-20-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prince has signed a new deal with Kobalt Music Group to market and distribute his future work without giving up control over his rights, the company said on Monday.

The singer-songwriter, who is famed for changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol in a wrangle over musical rights, will release his own work as well as a slate of new music by other artists that he produces, Kobalt said.

The announcement came just hours after the 54-year-old Prince was given a Billboard Icon Award (lifetime achievement) and rocked the Billboard Music Awards ceremony with a version of his "Let's Go Crazy" dressed in electric green trousers and sporting an Afro hair style.

Kobalt, which is also a global independent music publishing company, launched an artist and label services division in 2012, allowing artists to maintain ownership of their work and control over when, how and where they will release their music.

"This new venture gives Prince the flexibility and freedom he's always sought in a label partner," Kobalt President Richard Sanders said in a statement.
http://music.yahoo.com/news/prince-r...165736937.html
Old 07-08-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only see two songs listed on the 3rdEyeGirl site now. It's been updated a bit in terms of design, but it is still pretty sparse. I think that it actually lists members of 3EG now (Prince and 3 girls) but I can't seem to find the older music that was posted (and that I bought). Anyone else?
Old 08-17-13, 09:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Prince is now on Twitter!!

@3rdeyegirl

and he has actually put 2 live videos on the Youtube! Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usaCI...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-19-13, 10:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Artwork for the new single (yes, for real):
Spoiler:
Old 08-19-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Artwork for the new single (yes, for real):
Spoiler:

is that
Spoiler:
Dave Chappelle
?
Old 08-19-13, 11:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yup
Old 08-20-13, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Reminded of the Chappelle show story I went searching online and found this awsome account from Prince's bodyguard about Prince playing basketball. Let's just say that Charlie Murphy is no liar.

http://incubate.wordpress.com/2008/0...rd-plays-ball/
Old 08-20-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Prince can ball.

Old 08-25-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A new album is coming

Rock legend Prince and his all-female band, 3RDEYEGIRL, will release two new albums on the same day next month.

Prince will release a solo album titled, “Art Official Age,” on Sept. 30. It will be the artist’s first studio album since “20Ten” in 2010. “Plectrumelectrum,” another album featuring Prince and 3RDEYEGIRL, will be released on the same day.

The members of 3RDEYEGIRL -- guitarist Donna Grantis, drummer Hannah Ford Welton and bassist Ida Nielsen -- made the announcement Monday during a special appearance on “Good Morning America.”

“Clouds,” a song off of “Art Official Age,” had its world premiere on “GMA” on Monday. 3RDEYEGIRL also released the official cover art for both albums on “GMA.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=25108241

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.