Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

Old 06-04-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

The remasters sound surprisingly solid to me

Not including "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" on LZIII is a fucking travesty. I guess Page is trying to drum up sales interest on Coda or something.
Old 06-04-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The remasters sound surprisingly solid to me

Not including "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" on LZIII is a fucking travesty. I guess Page is trying to drum up sales interest on Coda or something.
They put on Coda in the box-set, so I guess that's where it's gonna stay.
Old 06-04-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

FYI the remastered "Whole Lotta Love" is currently free in the Google Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/music/...iy6t5cn6zzs5pm
Old 06-09-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Will the Super Deluxe Vinyl and CD box sets drop in price or are they something you must grab now?

They are temporarily out of stock at Amazon.

Old 06-09-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The deluxe CDs sound Amazing. It's such a rare thing to hear remasters that aren't overly compressed and loud. These are very crankable with nice dynamic range and clarity.
Old 06-09-14, 09:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Broke down and bought Led Zep III yesterday at BB. I like it. I do have Led Zep I on order which is due today. So i'm looking forward to that. So obviously i'll be picking up II in a week or two.
Old 09-04-14, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when does the next set of 3 albums come out?
Old 09-04-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

10/28 but it's only IV & Houses of the Holy:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/buy
Old 11-22-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone bought or checked out Jimmys new book?

He was on Ellen and the Late Show promoting it.

Old 11-22-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Has anyone bought or checked out Jimmys new book?

He was on Ellen and the Late Show promoting it.

No shark = no sale.
Old 11-23-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I heard that at book signings he can't be bothered to physically sign them. He's using a stamp. I don't care about about autographs but what a dick move by Page to the people that wait around for him.
Old 11-24-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I heard that at book signings he can't be bothered to physically sign them. He's using a stamp. I don't care about about autographs but what a dick move by Page to the people that wait around for him.
Not defending him but I recall reading something along the lines of it was originally a special order book for like $400 or so and they were autographed by him. When the publishing company/him/both decided to make it a mass release this was a way of having book "signings" without screwing over those who had paid big money for an exclusive.
Old 11-28-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the Ellen studio audience did not receive a free promo copy because of the expensive price tag for the book or Jimmy did not want to give away free copies.
Old 02-26-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got the Physical Graffiti vinyl - it sounds fucking awesome! I had an original-pressing vinyl from '75, until about '95, but don't know what happened to it - it was well-worn anyhow, so this is a great compromise. Easily one of my top-5 favorite albums of all time.
Old 02-28-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
THAT is how you do a double album of glorious rock excess.
Old 05-29-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So Jimmy Page is supposedly holding some kind of press event on June 16th and earlier Amazon had several listings for "Artist 123" available for preorder for July 31 coming from Atlantic/Rhino which apparently happened with the earlier reissues.

Apparently the CD configurations had 2 2-disc sets and a 3-disc set, and vinyl configurations to match. People are speculating that Coda is the 3-disc set, with Presence and ITTOD being the 2-disc sets.

That announcement-to-release window is within a week of the PG release and the release date aligns with the new global Friday music release date which takes effect the week before.
Old 05-30-15, 11:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
So Jimmy Page is supposedly holding some kind of press event on June 16th and earlier Amazon had several listings for "Artist 123" available for preorder for July 31 coming from Atlantic/Rhino which apparently happened with the earlier reissues.

Apparently the CD configurations had 2 2-disc sets and a 3-disc set, and vinyl configurations to match. People are speculating that Coda is the 3-disc set, with Presence and ITTOD being the 2-disc sets.

That announcement-to-release window is within a week of the PG release and the release date aligns with the new global Friday music release date which takes effect the week before.
Been waiting impatiently for Presence. That's probably the last one that I will buy. I have no interest in Coda or In Through the Out Door. Or anything else after that.
Old 05-30-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Presence and In Through The Out Door are my two favorite Zep albums. Can't wait as the other sets have been great.
Old 05-30-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested in Coda, only because I hear that's where the lions share of new-found tracks will be.
Old 05-30-15, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOE29
Been waiting impatiently for Presence. That's probably the last one that I will buy. I have no interest in Coda or In Through the Out Door. Or anything else after that.
I'll definitely get the Presence vinyl because Achilles Last Stand is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. I don't plan on buying the other two, but, sadly I might just since I have all the others.
Old 06-02-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon has leaked the details on the last 3. The July 31 date seems to be legit as well:

Presence

1. Two Ones Are Won
2. For Your Life (Reference Mix)
3. 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)
4. Royal Orleans (Reference Mix)
5. Hots On For Nowhere (Reference Mix)

The companion audio disc that accompanies Presence has five unreleased reference mixes from the sessions, which reveal works in progress. Along with alternate incarnations of For Your Life Achilles Last Stand and Royal Orleans, there is also the previously unheard instrumental curiously titled 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod).
In Through the Out Door

1. In The Evening (Rough Mix)
2. Southbound Piano (South Bound Saurez)
3. Fool In The Rain (Rough Mix)
4. Hot Dog (Rough Mix)
5. The Epic (Carouselambra - Rough Mix)
6. The Hook (All My Love - Rough Mix)
7. Blot (I m Gonna Crawl - Rough Mix)

The album's companion audio disc features an unreleased rough mix of every track from the original album, including early versions with working titles such as The Hook (All My Love), The Epic (Carouselambra), and Blot (I'm Gonna Crawl).
Coda

1. We're Gonna Groove (Alternate Mix)
2. If It Keeps On Raining (When The Levee Breaks - Rough Mix)
3. Bonzo's Montreux (Mix Construction In Progress)
4. Baby Come On Home
5. Sugar Mama (Mix)
6. Poor Tom (Instrumental Mix)
7. Travelling Riverside Blues (BBC Session)
8. Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?

1. Four Hands (Four Sticks - Bombay Orchestra)
2. Friends (Bombay Orchestra)
3. St. Tristan s Sword (Rough Mix)
4. Desire (The Wanton Song - Rough Mix)
5. Bring It On Home (Rough Mix)
6. Walter's Walk (Rough Mix)
7. Everybody Makes It Through (In The Light - Rough Mix)

The reissue campaign ends with a double-barrel blast of Led. Coda will be the only Led Zeppelin deluxe edition to include two companion discs, featuring 15 tracks recorded between 1968 and 1974. The oldest song in the collection is also perhaps the most interesting. The frenetic blues jam Sugar Mama was recorded in 1968 at Olympic Studios during sessions for the band's eponymous debut. The song was completed but never officially released until now. Baby Come On Home from the same session is also included in the set. Also included is the previously unreleased St. Tristan's Sword, a rollicking instrumental recorded during the Led Zeppelin III sessions in 1970.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 06-02-15 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew they'd stack Coda, otherwise, no one would buy it.
Old 06-03-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

As far as bonus content goes, this is one of the most unsatisfying reissue campaigns ever.
Old 06-03-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As far as bonus content goes, this is one of the most unsatisfying reissue campaigns ever.
It's been known for decades that there were no unused tracks or alternate versions. What wasn't used to fill out Physical Graffitti to double LP was put on Coda. That left different mixes of the recordings we already have or unfinished works in progress. Nothing to write home about. The best thing about these reissues are the covers. I've been picking up the regular versions for $8-9 just to get cover repros.

It's also know Page has the soundboard of every show they did. A live archive series would be nice. I don't know how expensive or time consuming it is to clean up and remix soundboards for proper release but How The West Was Won is cleaned up soundboard and sounds great.

Also would be nice if we got a deluxe Song Remains The Same with all three complete shows over 6 discs. I hate that both the original version and expanded version are pieced together from three different performances.
Old 06-24-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't care what anyone says....Zep 4 is still one of the best albums ever. I never really took to their first album, Love II & III, don't like houses of the holy, in through the out door & presence (and of course CODA although I do dig poor tom). Physical Graffiti is a good album but even with these remasters...it sounds like it was made prior to their first album.

I like listening to the rough overdub mixes as it just sounds so weird to hear the songs I've loved for many years sound so different- definitely don't prefer them but I do like checking them out.

The battle of evermore sounds outstanding now that the backing vocals have been brought up front more.

So many people like to bash this band but they are one of the greatest of all time - music like this sure as hell isn't getting made today - glad the remasters came out in an individual re-issue - this will be the last time I buy the zep albums I love.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.