Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The all things METALLICA thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Yeah, I can't see Justice having bass. Ever. That would mean they would have to admit they completely fucked up the original, and I don't see that happening.
Old 04-19-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Will "... And Justice For All" have bass?
Fixing St. Anger should be a priority as well. I would re-buy those two if they were fixed. But then again, the loudness boost on the first two releases killed any chance of my re-buying those two.
Old 04-19-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
Yeah, I can't see Justice having bass. Ever. That would mean they would have to admit they completely fucked up the original, and I don't see that happening.
They've admitted at different times that they screwed over Jason with that album. While I'd like to hear it with normal bass levels, I've heard the album so many times the way it has, I might end up preferring the original mix.
Old 04-19-16, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
They've admitted at different times that they screwed over Jason with that album. While I'd like to hear it with normal bass levels, I've heard the album so many times the way it has, I might end up preferring the original mix.
Here's Fleming Rasmussen on the subject, Rex Brown also touched-on it in his autobiography saying how Lars and James played the final tracks for he and Dimebag and were laughing at how they "turned the bass down" to screw with Newsted.
Newsted himself was less than happy with the results, later remarking, "The Justice album wasn't something that really felt good for me, because you really can't hear the bass.”

Flemming Rasmussen agrees: "It's inaudible. Jason, Toby and I are probably the only people who know what the bass parts actually sounded like on that album, and that's down to Lars and James. I didn't mix Justice — Steve Thompson and Mike Barbiero were already hired to do that before I became involved with the project, and after Lars and James heard their initial mixes the first thing they said was, 'Take the bass down so you can just hear it, and then once you've done that take it down a further 3dBs.' I have no idea why they wanted that, but it was totally out of my hands, and I didn't even know about it until the album had been released. When I heard it, I went, 'What?' I wasn't too keen on it, either.”
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...racks-0511.htm

I'm one of the few persons who heard the bass tracks on "…And Justice For All" and as far as I'm concerned they're absolutely killer. He did a really good job on that. He actually did most of it with Toby Wright, the assistant engineer. I'd kind of set up the bass sound and make everything ready and we'd run through the song. He'd play it and me and Lars would sit there and go, "Here you do this and here you do that" and stuff like that. Jason and Toby would spend the night and they'd go home and sleep and we'd listen to the bass the first thing when we came in the next morning. So we more or less worked around the clock. It was pretty intense.

The big complaint on "…And Justice For All" is you can't hear the bass.

I'd love to remix that album. I'm pretty sure the guys who did it [Thompson and Barbiero], I know they would love to mix it again. 'Cause they set it up and made it sound good and then Lars and James came in and f--ked it all up, hahaha.

Steve Thompson told me he had these great mixes set up and Lars came in and said, "Turn down the bass."

Exactly, yeah. Unbelievable because it was really good. I know he'd love to do that again.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inte...ml?no_takeover
Old 04-19-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

If they want to do right by Jason and fans, they need to remix the album and let us hear the bass.
If enough people were to spread around the word so that Metallica see it, that spending $150 on a reissues and still not getting a true sounding album, maybe they will finally release the album the way it's meant to be.

It would be funny to have a small little sticker on the front that reads " Now with BASS!"
Old 04-19-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
It would be funny to have a small little sticker on the front that reads " Now with BASS!"
Old 04-19-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

CNN’s Mike Rowe Shares Cringe-worthy Encounter With METALLICA’s James Hetfield

http://www.rockfeed.net/2016/04/18/m...ames-hetfield/
Old 04-19-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Fixing St. Anger should be a priority as well. I would re-buy those two if they were fixed. But then again, the loudness boost on the first two releases killed any chance of my re-buying those two.
In order to fix St. Anger they'd have to rewrite all of the songs.
Old 04-20-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

St. Anger rules. So do Load and Reload.
Old 04-20-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Fran tick tick tick tick tick tick TOCK!
Old 04-21-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
St. Anger rules. So do Load and Reload.
No.
Old 04-21-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd love for them to do a remix project once these remasters are finished but I don't see it happening.
Old 05-28-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica album 'will be done this summer'

Ulrich tells Metal Forces: “We’re now coming towards the end of the musical creative process and we’re starting to look ahead and the process of how we’re gonna share this record with the universe.

“The month of June is basically when we’re gonna sit down and figure what we’re gonna do with it all – what we’re gonna call it and what’s gonna be on it."

Metallica have been working with Death Magnetic producer Greg Fidelman at their headquarters in San Rafael, California.

Ulrich adds: “Greg Fidelman is 24/7 on this record and has been since last summer. He’s doing an insanely great job and has been putting his heart and soul in it pretty much every waking moment of his life in helping us engineer and produce this record."

He continues: “If the record doesn’t come out this year then it won’t be because it’s not done. It will be because there’s some sort of cosmic reason that it would be smarter to hold onto it until next year. But the record will be done this summer."

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-05-28/...ne-this-summer
Old 05-28-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They could get shit done, as in finish an album in reasonable time, if they'd stop touring for a minute.
Seems like they tour and make albums in between.
Old 05-29-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They have to tour because they need the money. Being Metallica costs a lot, and "Through the Never" flopping really didn't help their bottom line, which is a big part of why they've been touring relentlessly.
Old 05-29-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
They have to tour because they need the money. Being Metallica costs a lot, and "Through the Never" flopping really didn't help their bottom line, which is a big part of why they've been touring relentlessly.
Yeah, they've been taking some big financial losses recently. "Through the Never" flopped, and they also lost a lot of money on their Orion Festival thing.
Old 05-30-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? These guys have been able to manage their assets pretty well for a band. They cant possibly be throwing it all in for these projects.
They have been touring for over 30 years more than any other band in history. They cant be scraping the bottom of their coffee can for money.
Old 05-30-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Was reading some Metallica facts clickbait the other day that said that Metallica has a personal staff of 89 people including a personal assistant for each member. If that's true that doesn't come cheap and unlike other bands they don't have the luxury of taking time off. I imagine right now would be a terrible time to stop touring with the summer festival season kicking off over in Europe. That is where metal makes it money these days.
Old 05-30-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-31-16, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty badass. Great C.O.C. song. Really looking forward to their new album. Oh, and Metallica's too.
Old 05-31-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beavis69
Was reading some Metallica facts clickbait the other day that said that Metallica has a personal staff of 89 people including a personal assistant for each member. If that's true that doesn't come cheap and unlike other bands they don't have the luxury of taking time off. I imagine right now would be a terrible time to stop touring with the summer festival season kicking off over in Europe. That is where metal makes it money these days.
Interesting about the 89 employees.

If they average 30k per year (no idea what entertainment people make) then you're looking at the band paying out three million per year in salaries alone in addition to whatever other expenses the business side incurs like office space, transportation (private jet), and general overhead.

I remember a while back that they signed an eighty million dollar contract with their revord company. Considering what album sales are these days, I doubt they get any royalties; surely that $80M is an advance against royalties?
Old 06-06-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Metallica is playing the anthem tonight in San Jose
By Mike Halford
Jun 6, 2016, 11:16 AM EDT

SAN JOSE — The Sharks put on quite the show prior to Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final.

And now they’re upping the ante for Game 4.

Per the club and NHL PR, Metallica lead singer James Hetfield and guitarist Kirk Hammett will perform The Star-Spangled Banner at SAP Center tonight, when the Sharks look to even their series against Pittsburgh at two games apiece.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/06/...f:nbcnews:text

I guess Kirk drew the shortest straw and had to wear the mascot costume.
Old 06-06-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, they've been taking some big financial losses recently. "Through the Never" flopped, and they also lost a lot of money on their Orion Festival thing.
At least the Orion Festival brought us Ghost thanks to Hetfield being a fan and bringing them over here.

Old 06-13-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/s...her-demo-tape/
Old 06-13-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW

New Album is being mixed...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.