Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MEGADETH: "Album 14" -2013

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-24-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

JOHNNY K TO PRODUCE MEGADETH'S NEW ALBUM

Megadeth has once again tapped Johnny K (full name: John Karkazis), who has previously worked with Disturbed, Sevendust, Machine Head and Staind, to produce the band's new album, tentatively due in early 2013. Johnny K produced Megadeth's last album, 2011's "TH1RT3EN", which was recorded at Mustaine's Vic's Garage studio in San Marcos, California. Dave Mustaine tweeted yesterday (August 23), "Johnny is almost at Vic’s and we are going to start pre-production today! Woo Hoo!!" New photos of Megadeth rehearsing at Vic's Garage for the upcoming tour in South America and Mexico have been posted at the Megadeth Cyber Army and on Megadeth's Facebook.
Old 08-25-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: MEGADETH: "Album 14" -2013

The production on Thirteen was fine; it was the songs that were weak. The album felt like exactly what it was - a collection of loose ends, old tracks, and quickly-banged out hits to fill it out.

Hopefully Dave gets more focused for this one.

And, please, no more fucking politics.
Old 08-25-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
A 180 at that since Choose or Lose and Foreclosure of a Dream in the early '90s...
Old 08-25-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The production on Thirteen was fine; it was the songs that were weak. The album felt like exactly what it was - a collection of loose ends, old tracks, and quickly-banged out hits to fill it out.

Hopefully Dave gets more focused for this one.

I suspect Dave fried his brain on drugs a while back, found Jesus, and turned into an insufferable asshole. It's happened to a few of the people I grew up with...

The only thing worse than a junkie is junkie who's found God.
Old 08-25-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't be worse than Thirteen
Old 08-25-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you heard Risk?!?
Old 08-26-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Megadeth has only put out one great album: Peace Sells But Who's Buying.

Megadeth has only put out one good album: Rust in Peace.

The rest is surplus to requirements.
Old 08-31-12, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you heard Risk?!?
Yes.

I was referring to albums 2000+
Old 09-04-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MEGADETH KICKS OFF LATIN AMERICA TOUR IN BOGOTA

Megadeth kicked off its tour of Latin America (Sunday, September 2) to a very enthusiastic crowd at the Royal Center theater in Bogota, Colombia. Dave Mustaine comments: "It was by far the most amazing thing I have ever seen in all my years. I don’t know what the rest of this tour down south has in store for us, but if last night was any indication, Christmas came early for this kid in 2012!" Read Dave's entire statement on his Facebook page.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BgE7LpwwvmQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZDicQAoOnQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-05-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
MEGADETH KICKS OFF LATIN AMERICA TOUR IN BOGOTA

Megadeth kicked off its tour of Latin America (Sunday, September 2) to a very enthusiastic crowd at the Royal Center theater in Bogota, Colombia. Dave Mustaine comments: "It was by far the most amazing thing I have ever seen in all my years. I don’t know what the rest of this tour down south has in store for us, but if last night was any indication, Christmas came early for this kid in 2012!"
Was it a white Christmas, Dave?
Old 09-06-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I thought it was cool that he did all of Countdown to Extinction. That was the album that got me listening to the group in the first place, although I can understand why a lot of people don't like it.
Old 09-06-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Countdown, and I'd possibly even pay to see them play it live here in the US. Lots of killer cuts on that record.
Old 09-06-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Countdown, and I'd possibly even pay to see them play it live here in the US. Lots of killer cuts on that record.

I saw that tour in '92 and I think it would be cool see that album played live too.

"Architecture of Aggression" and "Psychotron" are probably my favorites.
Old 09-06-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone

I saw that tour in '92 and I think it would be cool see that album played live too.

"Architecture of Aggression" and "Psychotron" are probably my favorites.
I was at that show and was just going to mention it! Suicidal Tendencies opened IIRC.

I was not really enthused about the album at the time since I was still high off the thrash masterpiece that is Rust in Peace and had already been listening to Megadeth since So Far... came out.

But the one thing that always stick with me from that show is how good they sounded. I was way up and expecting it to sound shitty. But when they started doing the guitar harmonies in "Ashes in Your Mouth" it was beyond awesome. Great show.
Old 09-06-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Set list

01. Trust
02. Hangar 18
03. She-Wolf
04. A Tout Le Monde
05. Whose Life
06. Public Enemy

07. Skin O' My Teeth
08. Symphony Of Destruction
09. Architecture Of Aggression
10. Foreclosure Of A Dream
11. Sweating Bullets
12. This Was My Life
13. Countdown To Extinction
14. High Speed Dirt
15. Psychotron
16. Captive Honour
17. Ashes In Your Mouth

18. Peace Sells
19. Holy Wars
Old 09-06-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lo6Ts3gVVjw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B5Ju5Twyhxk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A2kU0OSNjrc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KIFQ4CWCymQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by gerrythedon; 09-06-12 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-07-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I was at that show and was just going to mention it! Suicidal Tendencies opened IIRC.
Yep, Mike Muir did his spoken riffs between songs, usually ending in "...yeahhh!"
I was not really enthused about the album at the time since I was still high off the thrash masterpiece that is Rust in Peace and had already been listening to Megadeth since So Far... came out.

But the one thing that always stick with me from that show is how good they sounded. I was way up and expecting it to sound shitty. But when they started doing the guitar harmonies in "Ashes in Your Mouth" it was beyond awesome. Great show.
They did sound pretty good. I recall Dave walking on stage holding his Jackson guitar with the anarchy "A" above his head and everyone knew what song was being played next. I think the left and right side of the arena tried to cheer louder than the other at Dave's direction too.

I almost missed that show:  I was driving to northern Indiana to meet some friends to embark to Chicago and 20 minutes into my drive I realized that I didn't have my ticket. That would have sucked. As we were driving to Chicago one of my friends had to piss really bad but we kept going so that we would make the show. It didn't help that there was traffic congestion and delays, especially on I-80/94. When we parked my friend ran to the back of the car to take a piss. A bootleg vendor ran up to him to sell a concert shirt and my friend yelled, "Hey!", and he had to turn around to avoid pissing on the guy.

Pretty cool that you were at that show too.
Old 09-10-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MEGADETH’S DOUBLE PLATINUM ‘COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION’ ALBUM
REMASTERED AND EXPANDED FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, TO BE RELEASED NOVEMBER 6TH BY CAPITOL/EMI

Dave Mustaine Oversees Commemorative Edition of Megadeth’s Best-Selling 1992 Album

Megadeth will Perform the Album Live on 2012 “Countdown To Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour

Hollywood, California – September 10, 2012 – Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine has personally
overseen a new 20th Anniversary Edition of the band’s most popular album, 1992’s double
Platinum-certified Countdown To Extinction, to be released November 6thby Capitol/EMI. After
wrapping up their “TH1RT3EN World Tour” this fall, Megadeth will perform the acclaimed album
in its entirety on their “Countdown To Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour” this November and
December (dates and pre-sale / on sale details below).

Presented in a 2CD lift-top box and digitally, Countdown To Extinction’s new commemorative
edition pairs the remastered original album with a 1992 concert, recorded live at San
Francisco’s Cow Palace, which has never before been released in its entirety. The concert
audio has been newly remixed for this release. The physical and digital versions both include a
booklet with a new liner notes essay by music journalist Kory Grow, and the 2CD box also
contains a 24” x 36” poster and four collectible postcards.

Countdown To Extinction, Megadeth’s fifth studio album, was recorded in Los Angeles in 1992
as rioting raged across the city in response to the Rodney King trial verdicts. American tensions
weren’t limited to LA, by any means, as the Gulf War was still fresh in people’s minds, the state
of the environment was becoming headline news, and President George H.W. Bush was
seeking reelection in a heated campaign season.

Out of this turmoil, Megadeth was inspired to create Countdown To Extinction, considered by
many to be the band’s best and most accessible album. The group’s previous albums, including
So Far, So Good…So What! and Rust In Peace, included songs that tackled topics like
censorship and religious bloodletting in the Middle East. But none were as polemical as the
sonic missiles launched by ‘Countdown.’ Megadeth laced the songs with acid-tongued
commentary about subjects ranging from the futility of war (“Architecture Of Aggression”)
to the senseless brutality of caged hunting (“Countdown To Extinction”). “Foreclosure Of A Dream”
sampled George Bush’s infamous “Read my lips” speech, making a statement about taxation
endangering the American Dream.

Thanks to a perfect balance of hard-rock song structures, epic choruses, and fleet-fingered
guitar work, Countdown To Extinction became an instant classic, benefiting from copious MTV
and radio play. Spin magazine raved that ‘Countdown’ “may just be the finest thrash-metal
album ever made,” and before long, songs like “Symphony Of Destruction,” “Sweating Bullets,”
and “Skin O’ My Teeth” had entered metal’s canon of essential recordings. The album shot to
No. 2 on the Billboard chart (it may have hit No. 1, if not for Billy Ray Cyrus’ long chart-topping
reign with Some Gave All), and it was certified double Platinum in the U.S. within two years, with
sales of more than two million copies.

Megadeth was in top form, with Mustaine, the band’s then 31-year-old singer and guitarist
leading the album’s assault with lyrics like “You know your worth when your enemies praise
your architecture of aggression,” not to mention his venomous rhythm guitar attack. His band
mates completed the picture, as lead guitarist Marty Friedman blazed with memorable solos,
bassist David Ellefson jammed dizzying arrays of low-end thunder, and drummer Nick Menza
attacked his kit. Megadeth sounded hungry, and the band was rewarded when the album
earned a GRAMMY Award nomination (Best Metal Performance) and when its title cut garnered
a Genesis Award from the Humane Society for raising awareness for animal rights issues.
www.megadeth.com

Megadeth: Countdown To Extinction (20th Anniversary Edition) [2CD, digital]
CD 1
1. Skin O’ My Teeth
2. Symphony Of Destruction
3. Architecture Of Aggression
4. Foreclosure Of A Dream
5. Sweating Bullets
6. This Was My Life
7. Countdown To Extinction
8. High Speed Dirt
9. Psychotron
10. Captive Honour
11. Ashes In Your Mouth
CD 2 – Live At Cow Palace, 1992
1. Intro
2. Holy Wars…The Punishment Due
3. Skin O’ My Teeth
4. Wake Up Dead
5. Hangar 18
6. Countdown To Extinction
7. Foreclosure Of A Dream
8. This Was My Life
9. Lucretia
10. Sweating Bullets
11. In My Darkest Hour
12. The Conjuring
13. Tornado
14. Ashes In Your Mouth
15. Symphony Of Destruction
16. Peace Sells
17. Anarchy In the UK

Megadeth: “Countdown To Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour”
Megadeth Fan Club Pre-sale starts Wednesday, September 12
Local pre-sales start Thursday, September 13
On sale Friday, September 14
NOVEMBER
9 Providence, RI Lupo's at the Strand
10 Huntington, NY Paramount Theatre
11 Worcester, MA The Palladium
13 Wallingford, CT Oakdale Theatre
14 Sayreville, NJ Starland Ballroom
16 Atlantic City, NJ House Of Blues
17 Niagara Falls, NY Rapids Theatre
19 Stroudsburg, PA Sherman Theater
20 Columbus, OH LC Pavilion
24 Myrtle Beach, SC House Of Blues
25 Charlotte, NC Fillmore
26 Atlanta, GA The Tabernacle
28 Kansas City, MO Midland Theatre
DECEMBER
1 Salt Lake City, UT Great Saltair
2 Boise, ID Knitting Factory
4 Reno, NV Grand Sierra Theatre
6 Las Vegas, NV House Of Blues
7 Pomona, CA Fox Theatre
Old 09-11-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still have a promo CD from the Cow Palace show that Tower Records was giving away for free back in '92/'93. It's only got 5 or 6 songs on it, though, so I'm genuinely curious to hear the rest of the set.
Old 09-11-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have a promo CD from the Cow Palace show that Tower Records was giving away for free back in '92/'93. It's only got 5 or 6 songs on it, though, so I'm genuinely curious to hear the rest of the set.
Yeah I have 2 copies of that + The Sweating Bullets singles had like 2 others from that show, I believe.
Old 09-11-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 12-19-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

December 19, 2012 - SHAWN DROVER CHECKS IN WITH STUDIO UPDATE

Shawn Drover has tweeted the following update: "Day 2 in the studio today for the new Megadeth record. Going to lay down a drum track for song #3. Looking forward to it." Megadeth is working on its fourteenth studio album with producer Johnny K. The CD is tentatively due in early 2013. Follow Shawn on Twitter @ShawnDrove
Old 12-29-12, 08:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
MEGADETH’S DOUBLE PLATINUM ‘COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION’ ALBUM
REMASTERED AND EXPANDED FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, TO BE RELEASED NOVEMBER 6TH BY CAPITOL/EMI

Dave Mustaine Oversees Commemorative Edition of Megadeth’s Best-Selling 1992 Album

Megadeth will Perform the Album Live on 2012 “Countdown To Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour

Wasnt the remastered and expanded thing already done a couple of years ago where Dave butchered a lot of the songs? I remember hearing a version of Sweating Bullets that was pretty different from the original.
Old 12-29-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Wasnt the remastered and expanded thing already done a couple of years ago where Dave butchered a lot of the songs? I remember hearing a version of Sweating Bullets that was pretty different from the original.
Yeah, I think so. The only Megadeth album I really care about is Peace Sells, and Dave fucked that up for a re-release a few years ago, then re-re-released it again, maybe a little less fucked-up.

He's like the heavy metal George Lucas.
Old 12-29-12, 10:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I think so. The only Megadeth album I really care about is Peace Sells, and Dave fucked that up for a re-release a few years ago, then re-re-released it again, maybe a little less fucked-up.

He's like the heavy metal George Lucas.
These re-releases and remasters are beyond ridiculous now. I hate when extra tracks are added (unless they are from the original album sessions) and hate when they change the original versions of the songs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.