Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

This takes me back a few years to when my kid wanted to buy Teardrops on My Guitar, which was by a young artist I'd never heard of named Taylor Swift.
Old 08-23-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://foxlovesvixen.tumblr.com/post...r-getting-back
the "Country" mix if anyone wants to hear it
Old 11-03-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone listening to the new album? "Stay Stay Stay," "The Lucky One," and "All Too Well" are some songs that stand out to me.
Old 11-03-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
"Love Story" is one of the better pop songs of the last few years.

I didn't care for the second album
"Love Story" was on the second album
Old 11-04-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

BTW, Target has an exclusive version of he album with 6 bonus tracks. Demos, alternate versions and he like, IIRC.
Old 11-04-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
BTW, Target has an exclusive version of he album with 6 bonus tracks. Demos, alternate versions and he like, IIRC.
Yeah, I think it's like three different songs and three acoustic versions or something like that. I'm tempted, but I'm sure they're charging full retail since they have no competition.
Old 11-05-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the album first came out they were charging $13.99, which was on sale from the $16.99 list price. That lasted for the first week of the album's release (as most sales do) and now it's back up to $16.99. For comparison, the regular version of the album was $9.99 during the first week and is now back up to $13.99 (not just at Target, but pretty much everywhere).
Old 11-05-12, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

The music video for "Never Ever" is a poor, embarrassing imitation of Michel Gondry.
Old 11-06-12, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kstublen
When the album first came out they were charging $13.99, which was on sale from the $16.99 list price. That lasted for the first week of the album's release (as most sales do) and now it's back up to $16.99. For comparison, the regular version of the album was $9.99 during the first week and is now back up to $13.99 (not just at Target, but pretty much everywhere).
Yeah, I pre-ordered for $9.99. Really hate the idea of rebuying.
Old 08-25-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

We already knew this a long time ago but she is not country anymore and this seals it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nfWlot6h_JM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-25-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Pretty tuneless song, but kind of a cute video.
Old 08-25-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I intellectually blanch, I kind of find that song perversely catchy. It certainly captures a specific sound, and probably just the one she was aiming for with the synth dance flavor. The video reeks of trying too hard to play the Gaga card though. It also looks like Allen's "Hard Out Here" dancers wandered in. I don't buy her as a sex symbol either, so hopefully she won't try to go that direction.

And no one should ever use the expression "haters gonna hate." Ever. In anything.
Old 08-25-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My kid tells me that this new song is her deliberate nod to pop. I can't say I like it that much, but it did grow on me a little during the one time I listened to it. We'll see what the rest of the next album is like.

Fact is a lot of Red is pop, not country. I will also confess that I think Red is a really good album that I still listen to.
Old 08-25-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
We already knew this a long time ago but she is not country anymore and this seals it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nfWlot6h_JM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing needs to "seal it," she's outright said it.

"This is my very first official, documented pop album," Swift said during a Monday live stream announcing her fifth record, 1989.
http://www.people.com/article/taylor...e-shake-it-off
Old 08-25-14, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And "Shake It Off" is hugely successful already

Taylor Swift sets a record for the highest debut in the history of Billboard's Adult Pop Songs radio airplay chart, where "Shake It Off" blasts in at No. 9.

On the Pop Songs chart, "Shake" soars in at No. 12, tying the record for the best-ever launch.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...start-at-radio

Whatever the genre, and whatever you may think of her, Swift is smart, and she knows what her fans want.
Old 08-25-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only song I liked on Red was "Treacherous"
Old 08-25-14, 05:47 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I don't buy her as a sex symbol either, so hopefully she won't try to go that direction.
From the looks of the video, she is going for more of the uncomfortable/awkward look, not sexy. Her body definitely doesn't look sexy in the ballerina/dance outfits at all.
Old 08-25-14, 05:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

That video was directed by Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo, Never Let Me Go, and a ton of other music videos...)
Old 08-25-14, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
And no one should ever use the expression "haters gonna hate." Ever. In anything.
While I can't disagree with that statement, to be as disparaged in public as often as she has been, to be a punchline for every joke about failed dating relationships and off-key singing -- well it's got to be hard on a young girl so tuned into social media. Maybe as a defense mechanism it's her mantra.

Originally Posted by PerryD
From the looks of the video, she is going for more of the uncomfortable/awkward look, not sexy. Her body definitely doesn't look sexy in the ballerina/dance outfits at all.
...in the Cheerleader costume though, not too bad.
Old 08-25-14, 08:27 PM

Taylor is very sexy, though of course she's purposely trying not to be in the new video. But if you've seen some of her red carpet appearances where she wears a short dress like nobody's business...whew. The girl can definitely bring the sexy.
Old 08-27-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I for some reason got the sense that it was sort of parodying something else, though I can't pinpoint what. It looks a little bit like Lily Allen's "Hard Out Here" video in terms of all of the dancers.

Originally Posted by Dan
That video was directed by Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo, Never Let Me Go, and a ton of other music videos...)
No kidding. Apparently he used to post on Kubrick message boards and such. Wondered if he'd moved back to the music video scene.

Originally Posted by Decker
While I can't disagree with that statement, to be as disparaged in public as often as she has been, to be a punchline for every joke about failed dating relationships and off-key singing -- well it's got to be hard on a young girl so tuned into social media. Maybe as a defense mechanism it's her mantra.
Maybe. She's certainly the butt of a lot of jokes.

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Taylor is very sexy, though of course she's purposely trying not to be in the new video. But if you've seen some of her red carpet appearances where she wears a short dress like nobody's business...whew. The girl can definitely bring the sexy.
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, I think she's pretty, but I've never found her that sexy . She certainly looks good and glamorous as would be expected on the red carpet, but she's never done much for me. To each his own, I suppose.
Old 09-01-14, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Red was actually a very good album if you got past most of the radio friendly singles (a few of them were good too).

State of Grace, Treacherous, All Too Well, Starlight, I Almost Do, The Last Time, The Lucky One, Everything Has Changed and Begin Again were a lot more "adult" and "serious" than songs like 22, I Knew You Were Trouble and We Are Never Getting Back Together.

Her mother has basically said that Shake it Off is this album's We Are Never Getting Back Together and, hopefully, this album won't be filled with crap like Shake it Off. It's catchy and, yes, she's hot, but not only is it kind of silly for her to be complaining about "haters gonna hate", but she basically had a similar themed song in the much better song Mean.

I'm all for a good pop album, but I just hope Taylor shows continued growth rather than starting to put out Avril Lavigne albums for the next 10 years.
Old 11-11-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Taylor Swift

Old 11-20-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who has two thumbs and tickets to the Taylor Swift concert next August? This guy with the teenage daughters!

(I actually like Swift so it's not like this is a chore.)
Old 11-20-14, 03:44 PM

I have one teenage daughter and would like to see her as well, but she's only playing a massive festival here and my short little girl probably wouldn't be able to see anything in a throng of people so we'll probably pass on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.