Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Eve 6 "Speak in Code" (Great album!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Eve 6 has a new album out (the first in many years) , released late April 2012. It debuted on Billboard's Top 200 albums in the Top 30 it's first week. But dropped quickly after that. I cannot recommend the album enough.

Last edited by Daytripper; 07-07-12 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Eve 6 "Speak in Code" (Great album!)

I bought it the week it came out, since Eve6's first two record were ones I listened to a lot when I was younger. I was pleased with the new album, they haven't changed their style at all and still write really enjoyable power pop rock tunes. The album is pretty tight too, with only 2 tracks I don't really care for. It's not going to win over any new fans, but if you used to like EVE6 years ago, you'll probably enjoy it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XsE56PvCOJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZKnYDxroZ8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by mdc3000; 07-07-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horrorscope is one of those albums that defines my high school years for me. I thought they had broken up since they haven't had new material in so long. I'll give this a listen.
Old 07-07-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to respectfully disagree. While not truly terrible, I could tolerate listening to it, overall I found it pretty disappointing. The lyrics were fairly trite (with "Trust Me" being a prime example of trying to be clever, but failing miserably), and it seemed like they were grasping for some remnant of their former selves, yet not quite getting there.

The only song that I though was truly a standout is "Moon". That track has the potential to be huge hit, given the chance, and ranks among the best things the band has ever done.
Old 07-07-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been on the fence about buying this cd. I've listened to a couple of tracks from it and thought they were alright. Agree with the previous post about "Moon". Good stuff and pretty much solidified me grabbing this cd next time I'm out.
Old 07-09-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

TOTALLY agree this is a fantastic album. This coming from a non Eve 6 fan.

So underrated. Hard to believe shit like Foster and Fun. are getting airplay and (at least) 8 tunes from this album are radio ready. Tragic. But hey, it's still a great album. Listen to it all the time.
Old 07-10-12, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love at least half the album, especially the 1st half. It's definitely worth a listen. Plus they put on a pretty great live show for a 3 piece. I just saw them a couple months ago and it was well worth it.

And I do agree that a few lyrics are cringworthy ('you don't like my attitude, well I don't like your latitude' for example)