Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day April 21, 2012 - Discussion thread and poll

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Is Record Store Day fun or more like a funeral?
Fun!
60.00%
Funeral
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Record Store Day April 21, 2012 - Discussion thread and poll

Old 04-22-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Record Store Day April 21, 2012 - Discussion thread and poll

Damn I missed this yesterday. But a London Calling remix? I must have this, do stores typically sell out?
Old 04-22-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Record Store Day - April 21, 2012

How much was the Knack? Trying to gauge against the eBay prices.

Bummed I missed it.
Old 04-22-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
How much was the Knack? Trying to gauge against the eBay prices.

Bummed I missed it.
The first place I wanted to buy it at (Bull Moose Music) was $8.97. Newburry Comics had it for $11.99. I read another forum thread where someone said they paid $16 for their copy at the store they got it from.
Old 04-23-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Damn I missed this yesterday. But a London Calling remix? I must have this, do stores typically sell out?
I got to the store when it opened at 9 AM and I only saw 2 copies on display. I picked up one of them and a few minutes later, somebody saw it in my hand and asked me where I found it. The other copy was already gone.

Ebay might be your best hope.
Old 04-23-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only picked up the Springsteen 45 for my wife. The only other ones I'd have been interested in myself were $15 for a 45 and $22 for a 3 song EP. No way could I justify those prices for anything.
Old 04-23-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just wanted the Flaming Lips album. First place, the lady said she just sold the last one before I got there. I ended up buying just the Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Ave Sessions (apparently available everything anyway) and The Civil Wars at Amoeba.

The Phish Junta album was $79.99. That's absurd. I'd never, ever spend that on a record. The second store I went to had like 10 of the Lee Hazlewood LP. Never saw the Misfits record.

I found the Miles Davis record but for $19.99, the package was underwhelming. Didn't appear to be on 180 gm vinyl and the cover was like paper.

Originally Posted by Damfino
Anyway, I did pick up the Flaming Lips and Social Distortion LPs and the London Calling remix even though I don't think London Calling needed a re-mix, but I am a Clash completist, so I guess I had to have it.
What was the retail price of the Flaming Lips album? I'd like to know so I can gauge how much the ebay sellers are gouging me.

Last edited by CRM114; 04-23-12 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
What was the retail price of the Flaming Lips album? I'd like to know so I can gauge how much the ebay sellers are gouging me.
I didn't buy it, but I looked at it in store and it was close to $40 (something like $38.99 I think).

I think I'm growing out of RSD, or maybe it's outgrowing me. I went by the two good record stores near me in the late morning and both had massive lines just to get to the RSD-exclusive section, so I left and decided to try later in the day. I went back to one of them at about 2 and still had to wait in a shorter line to see the RSD exclusives. The things I really wanted were gone, some of the things I was considering were more than I was willing to pay (Flaming Lips for one), but I did pick up these exclusives:
Pelican debut album reissue 2xLP
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II remix 10" single
The Clash - London Calling 2012 Mix 7"

I don't know if it's the "eBay douches" coming out of the woodwork or the longer list of exclusives or what, but past RSDs here were never this crazy. In the future it'll take an exclusive I really, really want for me to brave the crowds.
Old 04-23-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I paid $33.99.

Last edited by Damfino; 04-24-12 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't know if it's the "eBay douches" coming out of the woodwork or the longer list of exclusives or what, but past RSDs here were never this crazy. In the future it'll take an exclusive I really, really want for me to brave the crowds.
This is exactly what ruins the day if you ask me. I bet half the people who go out and buy things don't actually keep them and probably aren't even fans, but just trying to profit off of people who actually want the items. It sucks.
Old 04-23-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are the good record stores left in st. Louis? Lived there back in 1990.
Old 04-23-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

What are the good record stores left in st. Louis? Lived there back in 1990.
For vinyl, the two best are Euclid Records in Webster Groves and Vintage Vinyl on the loop, in my opinion.
Old 04-23-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember them both. Glad to hear they are still around. I remember one or two in the Central West End plus one in Kirkwood called Now Hear This. Wonder if he is still open or changed the name. I was thinking maybe he did when he moved from Webster Groves area.
Old 04-23-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I just wanted the Flaming Lips album. First place, the lady said she just sold the last one before I got there. I ended up buying just the Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Ave Sessions (apparently available everything anyway) and The Civil Wars at Amoeba.

The Phish Junta album was $79.99. That's absurd. I'd never, ever spend that on a record. The second store I went to had like 10 of the Lee Hazlewood LP. Never saw the Misfits record.

I found the Miles Davis record but for $19.99, the package was underwhelming. Didn't appear to be on 180 gm vinyl and the cover was like paper.

I just stopped by my local store to see if any more copies of the Devo release were hanging around. I saw the Flaming Lips lp there for 30.99 I think.
Old 04-23-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I went to pick up the Eddie Vedder record, and found out that there was only 1 copy for the entire island, and it had been sold before the store even opened.
Old 04-23-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend managed to pick up the DEVO for me at Reckless Records in Chicago, $23.99.
Old 04-24-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
This is exactly what ruins the day if you ask me. I bet half the people who go out and buy things don't actually keep them and probably aren't even fans, but just trying to profit off of people who actually want the items. It sucks.
It seems that a lot of them grabbed the White Stripes stuff, especially the liquid-filled single. One of them sold for $3500, for, what? A $15 single?

-jason
Old 04-24-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well of course. That's why there's 100+ copies of the Flaming Lips album on eBay still SEALED.

I'm going to wait it out. There are 10,000 copies of it and the price will come down to earth. I saw a copy of last year's white vinyl Television album in the used bin for about what it went for last year.
Old 04-24-12, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on vacation this year in Fort Lauderdale and decided to not pass up on RSD. I should have. The store I was in opened at 9 and literally let in the entire line of 100 people at the same time who were literally fighting each other for releases. I picked up a few and gave up.

This year there were way too many 7" and not enough 12".

I picked up Junta until I saw the price tag. $79.99. I handed it to a Phish head who was second in line but didnt get a copy because he couldnt find it fast enough.

I walked out with Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and a Cure live album. There were a bunch more I wanted but couldnt brave the crowd.

Last year in New Jersey was WAY more organized even if Scotty's jacked up the retail price and was selling things for eBay prices.
Old 04-24-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had a blast. Bought like 20 records. Got all the exclusives I wanted. Went back to talk to the owner of my local shop today and he said he made enough money on Saturday to pay his rent for the next 8 months - that alone justifies the day for me. Good for those small owners.
Old 04-25-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the local stores said it was their second best day of sales ever. So that is good, yes.
Old 04-25-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I was on vacation this year in Fort Lauderdale and decided to not pass up on RSD. I should have. The store I was in opened at 9 and literally let in the entire line of 100 people at the same time who were literally fighting each other for releases. I picked up a few and gave up.

This year there were way too many 7" and not enough 12".

I picked up Junta until I saw the price tag. $79.99. I handed it to a Phish head who was second in line but didnt get a copy because he couldnt find it fast enough.

I walked out with Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and a Cure live album. There were a bunch more I wanted but couldnt brave the crowd.

Last year in New Jersey was WAY more organized even if Scotty's jacked up the retail price and was selling things for eBay prices.
Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Had a blast. Bought like 20 records. Got all the exclusives I wanted. Went back to talk to the owner of my local shop today and he said he made enough money on Saturday to pay his rent for the next 8 months - that alone justifies the day for me. Good for those small owners.
One of the local stores said it was their second best day of sales ever. So that is good, yes.
I actually like the fact that some record store owners are wising up and charging closer to market prices for some of the records if it allows them to stay open longer. There are obviously people out there who will pay crazy prices for some of this stuff. It is better for the store owner to realize that margin than the guy selling on ebay IMO.
Old 04-25-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to find the DEVO. Did anyone have luck with these?
Clubdevo.com managed to get some copies and are selling them for retail price ($24.99) + shipping.
Old 04-25-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Clubdevo.com managed to get some copies and are selling them for retail price ($24.99) + shipping.
Thanks, ordered one. That's what I most wanted. Probably could get it for just about the same price (with the $8 shipping they are charging) from ebay, but less hassle this way.

Last edited by Ginwen; 04-25-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I actually like the fact that some record store owners are wising up and charging closer to market prices for some of the records if it allows them to stay open longer. There are obviously people out there who will pay crazy prices for some of this stuff. It is better for the store owner to realize that margin than the guy selling on ebay IMO.
Vintage Vinyl in NJ sells them for retail. The amount of eBayers on line are far fewer than the people going to buy records for their own use. The point of RSD is to support the record store yet on RSD the owners decide to jack up the prices to make more money? Sorry, I don't agree with you on this one. I am all for supporting the record store, and I frequent them throughout the year. Taking advantage of me because of limited releases is a slap in my face.
Old 04-26-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Vintage Vinyl in NJ sells them for retail. The amount of eBayers on line are far fewer than the people going to buy records for their own use. The point of RSD is to support the record store yet on RSD the owners decide to jack up the prices to make more money? Sorry, I don't agree with you on this one. I am all for supporting the record store, and I frequent them throughout the year. Taking advantage of me because of limited releases is a slap in my face.
I have no idea what the % of ebayers is vs. fans. Also, I don't know what the margins are on the limited releases. I understand that it sucks for people who actually want the releases at more reasonable prices, but I blame those who create an artificial scarcity by making such limited runs of titles they could easily sell 3 times as many copies for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.