Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 05-23-16, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Rock on the Range 3 day festival in Columbus, OH this past weekend.
Old 05-25-16, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The Cure last night. 3 solid hours with 4 encores, 33 songs total. Damn was it long, but good. And Reeves Gabrels is pretty damn good.
When did the Cure go on relative to the show start time? I'm seeing them over the weekend, but can't make it right at showtime.

Thanks
Old 05-25-16, 11:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Show began at 7:30 with the opening act, who played for I think about 20-25 minutes tops. The Cure stepped on stage just a few minutes before 8:30 straight until 11:30.
Old 05-25-16, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Show began at 7:30 with the opening act, who played for I think about 20-25 minutes tops. The Cure stepped on stage just a few minutes before 8:30 straight until 11:30.
Thanks!
Old 05-25-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I was dragged to the Cure show at Hollywood Bowl the other night.

Some history - The Cure were the very first band I saw live, back in '85 during their Head on the Door tour. Seeing them more than 30 years (and almost a thousand concerts) later was a trip.

However, while they sounded fine, they are so fucking boring live. They just have no personality or charisma. And the songs sound exactly like they do on their records, which is boring to me as well.
Old 05-25-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

This past weekend was Dominion Riverrock, an outdoorsy sports (think kayaking, slack line jumping, rock wall climbing, etc.) and music festival here. I went Saturday and caught the headliner, G. Love and Special Sauce. I saw them 7 or 8 years ago and they put on another fun show.

But man, drunk college kids are the worst, constantly talking and walking back and forth through the crowd. Also while I love that it was a free concert, it can be annoying because since people don't have anything invested in it, some of them act like the show is a distraction to them and their friends. I much prefer being in a group of people that actually wants to see the artist and behaves accordingly.

I saw Blues Traveler at this festival last year. It was my first time ever seeing them live and they're great, too. Shut up. I love the '90s.
Old 05-25-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another attendee for The Cure at Hollywood Bowl. I went to Monday's show. Wonderful setlist which was heavy on "Wish" material. Our seats weren't close, but since the band has no stage presence, it wasn't a big deal. I've been a fan since '86 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great to see they can still draw a huge audience without having a new album in the stores.
Old 05-25-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Saw Billy Joel at Safeco Field, Seattle, last week. Really fun show. Gavin DeGraw opened with mostly '70s covers.
Old 05-25-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is the year for concerts for us. My wife decided decided she wanted to go to the Willie Nelson July 4th picnic at Circuit of The Americas. Only other person I really recognized was Kris Kristofferson. Maybe they will do some Highwayman.
Old 05-25-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Last night I attended 'Last In Line'.
If you have a chance to see them, dont hesitate! Andrew Freeman sounds great and Vivian Campbell looks happy to be in his old guitar element. Smiled the whole damn time.
They played mostly Dio tunes but that's what they created the band for. They did play 4 songs off their Heavy Crown album though.
It all sounded great and Freeman really enjoys the crowd. Gets them involved and went right on the floor to sing with others and take picture and video while doing so. Guy is kinda short to. Shorter than I would have thought.

If they were to come around around again I would not hesitate. It was fun, nostalgic and everyone was having a great time.
Vinnie Appice was introduced as Carmine's Brother which got a laugh out of everyone. And when Andrew introduced Vivian the crowd went nuts.
I took some video but I wanted to enjoy the show so only did a few songs.

Set List:
Stand up and Shout
Straight Through the Heart
Devil in Me
Evil Eye
Holy Diver
Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Last in Line
Invisible
Rainbow in the Dark

Encore:
Starmaker
I Am Revolution
We Rock

EDIT:
Don't Talk to Strangers, I Speed At Night and Martyr were the others. Just forgot where in the set list.

Last edited by VHS?; 05-27-16 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Was that a headlining set? Seems short.
Old 05-25-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah. I think I missed 2 songs. I was writing them down in my phone but sometimes forgot and had to remember
Taz Taylor Band opened.
Local band CAGE played a small set. These guys are a home grown San Diego band and if you like 'Painkiller', these guys are for you. Seen them a few times. Really good power metal.

Old 05-27-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Just caught the Deftones last night. Great show, disappointed they have pretty much disavowed anything from the self titled and Saturday Night Wrist, some of my favorite songs are on those two. They played stuff from their other six albums. They had Code Orange open and I was not a fan.
Old 06-02-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

While over in Europe on vacation last week, caught two live shows.

Eagulls @ VK in Brussels. Not a bad show, but not great either. Singer's voice reminded me a lot of Robert Smith, and I was never a huge Cure fan. Compared to other recent post-punk bands I've seen (Wolf Alice, The Subways), these guys were only okay. (I did enjoy their cover of Human League's "Seconds".)

Garbage @ Paradiso in Amsterdam. Great, fun show! I had never seen them before, but they sounded and looked fantastic, and Shirley Manson is a perfect front-person. She's also seems very humble, and told some nice stories in between the songs. They played for just under two hours.
Old 06-02-16, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last Saturday I was at Pomona's Fox Theater and Saw Lamb Of God, Clutch and Corrosion Of Conformity. Ive been waiting a long time to see C.O.C. and they did not disappoint. Clutch was good, but I wished that they would of played more songs that I knew. No "Electric Worry", "Burning Beard", "50,000 Unstoppable Watts" or "A Shogun Named Marcus". The only ones I knew were "X-Ray Visions" and "The Mob Goes Wild." Lamb Of God killed it, as usual, although I was surprised that they didn't play "Black Label"
Old 06-03-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lake Street Dive this past Wednesday. HIGHLY recommended.

Wilco with Richard Thompson tomorrow night.
Old 06-03-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

TSOL in Manhattan last week
Old 06-05-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Lumineers tonight, 90+ degrees for the openers, so I'll be finding some shade.
Old 06-05-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 06-05-16, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Another attendee for The Cure at Hollywood Bowl. I went to Monday's show. Wonderful setlist which was heavy on "Wish" material. Our seats weren't close, but since the band has no stage presence, it wasn't a big deal. I've been a fan since '86 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great to see they can still draw a huge audience without having a new album in the stores.
Wish I could have seen them here in Vegas last month. They played a really small venue and tickets went fast.

I've said for decades now : Bad seats at Hollywood Bowl are worse than the worst seats in just about any other venue. You might as well be in Orange County in those nosebleed seats. I hated that place.
Old 06-06-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Jimmy Buffet!
Old 06-06-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was the 9th time I've seen Wilco this past Saturday and it further confirmed my belief that Wilco is the finest contemporary American band currently in existence.

They played most of Star Wars and half of A Ghost Is Born in a 32(!) song set. Tremendous. The show ended with what apparently will be a regular thing this tour, a 6-song all acoustic encore. They must have really enjoyed the all-acoustic set at Sold Sound last year.

(The great) Richard Thompson opened and joined Wilco for a song in which Jeff Tweedy proclaimed Thompson "my best friend".
Old 06-06-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
While over in Europe on vacation last week, caught two live shows.

Eagulls @ VK in Brussels. Not a bad show, but not great either. Singer's voice reminded me a lot of Robert Smith, and I was never a huge Cure fan. Compared to other recent post-punk bands I've seen (Wolf Alice, The Subways), these guys were only okay. (I did enjoy their cover of Human League's "Seconds".)

Garbage @ Paradiso in Amsterdam. Great, fun show! I had never seen them before, but they sounded and looked fantastic, and Shirley Manson is a perfect front-person. She's also seems very humble, and told some nice stories in between the songs. They played for just under two hours.
OK, so wow... Paradiso. Definitely a bucket-list venue for me.

I saw Eagulls a few years ago. I liked their recorded output but their live stuff just didn't gel for me. I left halfway through their set.
Old 06-08-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
OK, so wow... Paradiso. Definitely a bucket-list venue for me.

I saw Eagulls a few years ago. I liked their recorded output but their live stuff just didn't gel for me. I left halfway through their set.
Yeah, the Paradiso is a place I had always heard about (and even have some live recordings from there, including a great Nick Cave concert). Once I heard Garbage was playing there, I just had to go! It really is a beautiful venue, and the sound was great as well. I wish I had taken the time to explore upstairs, but I was right in front of the stage and didn't want to give up my spot.
Old 06-08-16, 11:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dolly Parton @ Wolf Trap - wow, she impressed me!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.