Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by JANK
Saw The Rolling Stones last night at the open TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Excellent show, would never really guess the boys are in their 70's now. Highlights were Midnight Rambler, Moonlight Mile, (the opener) and Jumpin' Jack Flash. Great night. The rains stopped just before they started.
Saw 'em Saturday night @ Jerryworld in Dallas (technically Arlington). What fun, not just the show but the whole carnival like atmosphere that comes with seeing a band this huge. Plus seeing them from the 10th row was mind blowing. This is a band I never thought I'd see anywhere but from the nosebleeds. It cost as much as a house payment, but was so worth it.

I really, really don't get the cell phone zombies though. There were more than a few people in front of us who sat through the concert & scrolled through their phones for most of the show.
Old 06-08-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I really, really don't get the cell phone zombies though. There were more than a few people in front of us who sat through the concert & scrolled through their phones for most of the show.
Ugh. If they're like that at a Stones show, imagine how bad they are at home or somewhere.

I was at a Wilco show a couple years ago, and Jeff Tweedy called out a guy who was on his phone in the front row, being really perceptive that this guy was not necessarily a Wilco fan, asked him how he got his ticket, being that most front row seats are given to executives as gifts.
Old 06-08-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Saw 'em Saturday night @ Jerryworld in Dallas (technically Arlington). What fun, not just the show but the whole carnival like atmosphere that comes with seeing a band this huge. Plus seeing them from the 10th row was mind blowing. This is a band I never thought I'd see anywhere but from the nosebleeds. It cost as much as a house payment, but was so worth it.

Yes tons of fun. Huge band. I had 9th row off to the side. AND YES the couple behind me sat for all the show and left before the encore. Everyone else was standing. How anyone can sit on their ass during Midnight Rambler is beyond me. Who are these people and WHY WHY WHY are they even there?
Old 06-11-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Steven Wilson
Boulder Theater
Boulder, CO
6/9/15

Wilson never disappoints. I was a little concerned since I didn't find his new album as intriguing as his last, but it played out extremely well live. Routine was especially moving when it was coupled with the video playing. Many people, including my wife, were wiping their eyes after it ended. The rest of his new album was pretty high octane rocking, while The Watchmaker from his last album seemed to take on a new level of heaviness compared to the last tour. The sound was fantastic, the playing was tight, Wilson was a bit chattier than usual and in good spirits, there isn't a single thing I can complain about. The crowd was even excellent. I only saw cell phone taking pictures before the show started, and one person once during the show. There was no hooting or hollering during the quiet sections.

Next up: Faith No More at Red Rocks
Old 06-11-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have been to 2 recently...

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters
Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
5/28/15
Setlist: The Wanton Song, Turn It Up, Black Dog, Rainbow, Going to California, Spoonful, The Lemon Song, Little Maggie, No Place to Go -> Dazed and Confused, What Is and What Should Never Be, Fixin' to Die, Hoochie Coochie Man -> You Need Love-> Whole Lotta Love -> Who Do You Love -> Whole Lotta Love, Encore: A Stolen Kiss, Rock and Roll.

Damn good show. His voice doesn't sound like a guy who is pushing 70, and his backing band is aces. Most of the LZ songs were appreciably different from the original versions, and the blues covers were great. Neither I nor most of the crowd was all that familiar with his new stuff, which clearly annoyed him a bit. He chided the crowd for not being more enthusiastic about his new material and, at one point, commanded everyone to put down their phones and watch the show. Other than those 2 remarks, he was surprisingly funny and talkative with the crowd. ("Thank you all for coming out tonight, and allow me to congratulate you on your impeccable taste.") Highlights for me were Going to California and What Is and What Should Never Be.

Jenny Lewis
Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
5/30/15
Setlist: Head Underwater, Silver Lining, The Moneymaker, The Next Messiah, Arms Outstretched, Just One of the Guys, You Are What You Love, Pretty Bird, The New You, Slippery Slopes, That's That, She's Not Me, Love U Forever, A Better Son/Daughter, Encore: Bad Man's World, Give a Little Love, Girl On Girl, Portions For Foxes, Acid Tongue

Wow! I like Jenny Lewis but was blown away by how fantastic she was live. She puts on a show like she's a much bigger star than she is, is extremely charismatic, and has a great band backing her. She played a little more Rilo Kiley than I'd have liked. I like Rilo Kiley, but her solo stuff is better. But everything sounded wonderful. Better than it does on album, which is a feat that few can achieve. I will go see her live every chance I get. Acid Tongue was the best show closer I've seen in a long time. Just her and an acoustic guitar with her band and the opening band providing un-miced backing vocals. Fantastic performer and I couldn't recommend her more strongly.

Planned shows:
Smashing Pumpkins/Marilyn Manson, 7/10, The Joint Las Vegas
Alice In Chains, 7/18, The Pearl Las Vegas
Phish, 7/25, The L.A. Forum
Willie Nelson, 7/26, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas
Dawes, 8/8, The Bunkhouse Las Vegas
Modest Mouse, 8/20, Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
Life Is Beautiful Festival (Stevie Wonder, Kendrick Lamar, Duran Duran, Run The Jewels, Weezer, Death Cab for Cutie, Against Me, Dan Deacon, etc.), 9/25-27, Downtown Las Vegas
My Morning Jacket/Strand of Oaks, 10/9, Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
My Morning Jacket/Strand of Oaks, 10/10, Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
Father John Misty, 10/15, Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas
Old 06-16-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters last night (with Pixies as opening act!). Here are a few of the pictures I shot at the show:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...57654243166608
Old 06-18-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Dang those are some good photos. Was that at Booth Amphitheatre? If so, I was there tonight

Weird Al tonight.

Awesome show. The only bad thing is since it's an outdoor venue, and we had some weather (big lightning and flash flood warning) they closed it down after about 80 minutes. What there was, was great.
Old 06-19-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll be seeing the Mr T Experience tonight after opening for them. Last time i saw them was about 20 years ago.
Old 06-20-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Dang those are some good photos. Was that at Booth Amphitheatre? If so, I was there tonight

Weird Al tonight.

Awesome show. The only bad thing is since it's an outdoor venue, and we had some weather (big lightning and flash flood warning) they closed it down after about 80 minutes. What there was, was great.
Thanks! Yes that was at Booth. I hate that the storms wreaked havoc for you at Weird Al. I wanted to go but couldn't make it. Everything I read about said it was great while it lasted though!
Old 06-21-15, 12:08 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Sammy Hagar & the Circle - Saturday Night (6/20), Dayton, OH

Show was good, but short. No opening band and 15 songs. It was Michael Anthony's birthday, so there was the singing thing. Sammy signed a bunch of autographs during the show, which got a little distracting after a while.

Old 06-21-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Saw the Rolling Stones last night. One hell of a show. They sound and act like a band in their thirties. I was thinking before the show I would have like to have seen them in their prime, but after the show I felt like I just had.

But what the everloving FUCK was up with that opening act? AWOLNATION were not only not very good (they suck donkey ass, AFAIC) but they're completely inappropriate for a band such as the stones. There have to be better options.
Old 06-22-15, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Weird Al - June 21, Kettering, OH

Nothing out of the ordinary for him at this one, but still a fun show.

Old 06-22-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoon
State Theater - Portland, Maine

Just saw the band Spoon, who were performing here this past Friday night, on their first ever visit to Maine. As long as I have been a fan of the band, which is pretty much since the begining, this was also my first time seeing them live, too. The show wasn't even close to being sold out the morining of the concert, and even after the doors opened, it was still relatively sparse through the opening act's performance. However, by the time Spoon took the stage, the place was absolutely packed. The crowd also ended up being one of the loudested I can think of hearing at an event in years, too.

The band put on an absolutely stellar show on their inaugraulable visit, and even gave us not one, but two solid encores. They played damn near ever song I would have hoped they would, too. And if if that wasn't awesome enough, the Spoon later crashed the after show party a local group was doing, covering both their Girls Can Tell and Kill The Moonlight in their entirety, they hit onstage using the locals instruments, and rocked through a fee of thier own tunes in the set. Absolute coolness.
Old 06-22-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw Barenaked Ladies this past Wednesday with Violent Femmes and Colin Hay. Got some pretty good pics and video.

Old 06-22-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Going for that St. Anger sound.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Old 06-22-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, I'm telling you...I don't know who this kid is, but he brought all his equipment on the bus. Great addition to the band.
Old 06-23-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Went to the Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopover over the weekend, saw them, My Morning Jacket, The Flaming Lips, Jenny Lewis, Son Little, The Maccabees and a bunch of other bands.
Old 06-23-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw Nate Ruess last night - awesome show and did a good mix of solo material, fun. hits and threw in a Format track and a prince cover. Great energy, small venue and big sing-alongs. Well worth the $10 I paid off stubhub
Old 06-28-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Adolescents & The Weirdos - 6/26 @ The Gramercy Theater, NYC

Great show but fucking lame that it had to be over by 10PM
Old 06-29-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Saw Weird Al on Wednesday night. First time. I took the whole family, and everyone loved it. We were about 15 rows back. Pretty sweet seats. I loved how he opened the show:
Spoiler:
Opened with Tacky on the video screen and looked pretty much like we were watching the video, but as it went along you realize he's performing live in the back alley of the venue. Sure enough he strolls through the front doors and down the aisle (right next to us) performing on the way to the stage. Very cool.

Then the wife and I went to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Johnny Lang tonight. It was the last stop on the year long tour, and first time in Louisville, AFAIK. I wasn't familiar with JL, but walked away impressed, and might have to pick up an album or two. KWS never disappoints (second time seeing him). However, like inri, our show apparently had to wrap up at 10pm as well. It really felt like a short show. Hell, he only did one song off the latest album that the tour was promoting. Anyway, the encore was an amazing 15 minute rendition of Voodoo Child. Epic close.

However I doubt KWS was on stage for 90 minutes.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Dream Theater's 3+ hour epic shows.
Old 06-29-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw Goatwhore on Saturday night - great gig ...

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GKvYScjOITY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And to coincide with another thread in here, they didn't hit the stage until 11:40 so it was a late night.
Old 07-01-15, 07:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Basement Jaxx @ the 9:30 - wow! so fun.

Old 07-01-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Solid Sound

Wilco - acoustic set
Wilco - electric set
Tweedy (and special guests)
Mac DeMarco
Real Estate
Parquet Courts
Richard Thompson
Cibo Matto
Bill Frisell
....and many others

I really enjoyed Mac Demarco and Real Estate live.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-01-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-01-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Saw Barenaked Ladies this past Wednesday with Violent Femmes and Colin Hay. Got some pretty good pics and video.
Steven Page left BNL? And they continue to tour? That's funny.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Went to the Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopover over the weekend, saw them, My Morning Jacket, The Flaming Lips, Jenny Lewis, Son Little, The Maccabees and a bunch of other bands.
Did The Flaming Lips retire that bummer light show they had last year? The one with Wayne Coyne on top of some thing strewn with lit up cables?
Old 07-01-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
Steven Page left BNL? And they continue to tour? That's funny.
What's funny about it? One guy doesn't make the whole band. It was a great show, huge fun, and fantastic meeting them afterward.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.