Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 10-13-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

2 weeks ago the wife and I went to the Royal Albert Hall in London and see the UK premeire of the Spandau Ballet film "Soul Boys of the Western World". After we saw that they done a 15 minute Q&A then played about 6 songs on stage, the first time in 5 years they have played together.
I'm a Duran Duran fan more but found the film very interesting.
This Sunday is our 1 year anniversary and I'm taking her up London for a gig where Tony Hadley is playing with a full orchestra. She doesn't know that yet.
Old 10-13-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Living Colour. I can count on one hand the number of guitar players that I can keep my eyes glued to for the entire show, and Vernon Reid is one of them.

Last edited by cdollaz; 10-13-14 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 07:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

ACL Fest, caught -

Friday - Capital Cities, Chvrches, Sam Smith, Childish Gambino, Outkast

Saturday - Trombone Shorty, Iggy Azalea (why did I do that), Lana Del Rey, Juanes, Eminem

Sunday - Kongos, Fitz & the Tantrums, Phantogram, Lorde, Pearl Jam
Old 10-15-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Took in Brad Paisley a could weeks ago, I'm currently waiting for Rodrigo y Gabriela to take the stage.
Old 10-16-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Iggy Azalea (why did I do that),
Old 10-17-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Last Saturday: Country bro Justin Moore at State Fair. Not very good.

WEdnesday night: Darius Rucker aka HOOTIE at State Fair. Surprisingly very good. Played a nice mix of new country material, old Hootie stuff, and covers.

Last Night: Zac Brown Band at local shed. I love them and they delivered a good show, but it seemed kinf of vanilla for them as far as song choices. Lots of stupid awesome covers though (Enter Sandman, Piano Man, Devil Went Down to Georgia, Bohemian Rhapsody...)
Old 10-18-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

King Tuff at the Cactus Club in Milwaukee.
Old 10-18-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Went to Pearl Jam in Moline, Il last night and show blew the minds of people who've been to 20-30 shows. Legendary performance. Doing entire No Code album in order after opening w/ Small Town.

Here is the opening song. Listen to the crowd Pearl Jams first show in Moline. Eddie even made new song Called Moline during the show. Epic. I went to Pearls Jams website and even their fans are losing their minds. It marked only the 2nd time in entire career they did entire album in order. Last time Eddie said was 1991.
Small town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvIehfpyYA

Moline song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLp9snull0
Old 10-18-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Kacey Musgraves
Old 10-18-14, 09:08 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I missed Of Montreal and Body Language in Minneapolis recently because I was simply away from home way too much in September and decided not to go. Too bad, because Body Language hasn't been here since 2008 or so (great Brooklyn band) and I've seen Of Montreal twice at First Avenue and they always put on a great show. At one of the shows, they started playing "I Was Never Young," the second track on The Sunlandic Twins, and I was thinking eh, okay. Not my favorite song, but whatever. And then they just blew me away, it was so good. They took the horn part and blared it super-loud and it dominated the room and made me love that song. For a long time, I resisted bands who made the live performance drastically different than the album version (I'm looking at you, Billy Corgan) but this is one case where I wish the version on the record was the same as the excellent live version!

You folks have me stoked to see Pearl Jam in St. Paul tomorrow night. We have fan club tickets so we won't know our seats until we get there. No Code is the first record of theirs my friend and I drove out of town to buy on release day because there was no way it was showing up in our tiny little town so it has a special place in my memory banks. This will be my fifth Pearl Jam show overall and I'm hoping for a great show poster I can custom frame and hang with the others (I don't have a poster for the Rapid City show with Frank Zappa in 1998, unfortunately).

Last edited by story; 10-18-14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I just listened to the Moline show bootleg and I'm pumped up all over again. Rolling Stone even did an article about the show last night. Still blown away.
Old 10-19-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Saw Judas Priest and Steel Panther last night.

Steel Panther were more fun that I expected. The songs are adolescent (Pussywhipped, Glory Hole, Smells Like Sushi) but they're catchy, and the stage banter, which sometimes went on a little too long, was funny. You can tell they usually play smaller venues, as they rarely got more than 10 feet away from the drum riser, but they did put on a good show, and it was a rare case where the crowd responded very well to an opening act. I'd see them again.

Judas Priest still have it. Halford still sounds strong, and he's getting around better than he was the last time I saw them (2008). The loss of KK Downing really didn't affect things much either.

Spoiler:

They played several selections from the latest CD which fit well with the older material. While they didn't play my favorite Priest song (The Sentinel) they did play three tracks from Defenders of the Faith. Most of the fan favorites were included, but no Diamonds and Rust or Hellion.Electric Eye.

The Priest set was about an hour 40 or so, and they went straight into the encore, as opposed to 10 minutes of chanting "priest, priest, priest" in a darkened arena. That was nice.

One thing I really enjoy at these shows is seeing some of the metal shirts that people sport, especially really old shirts or relatively obscure bands. Saw a couple of Mercyful Fate shirts, an old Carnivore shirt, and a guy in an Earth, Wind and Fire shirt(!).
Old 10-20-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Went to Pearl Jam last night in Saint Paul. It was a really good show all around I thought. They played a little over three hours and played a pretty diverse amount of their catalog. My only slight disappointments were that the show poster sold our before I could get one and I was hoping they'd close with Yellow Ledbetter, which is kind of cliche but it's one of my favorite songs of theirs.
Old 10-20-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Was in SLC last weekend. Saw BANKS live. She was pretty awesome. She's hot, too.
Old 10-21-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Went to Pearl Jam last night in Saint Paul. It was a really good show all around I thought. They played a little over three hours and played a pretty diverse amount of their catalog. My only slight disappointments were that the show poster sold our before I could get one and I was hoping they'd close with Yellow Ledbetter, which is kind of cliche but it's one of my favorite songs of theirs.
I wish more bands would do tours like Pearl Jam does, especially if they've been around for 20+ years. When a band has 8 or more albums, and still only plays for 60-90 minutes, it's kind of disappointing.
Old 10-21-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts

Moline was awesome.

Milwaukee last night was pretty great, too - Yield front-to-back this time!
Old 10-21-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I wish more bands would do tours like Pearl Jam does, especially if they've been around for 20+ years. When a band has 8 or more albums, and still only plays for 60-90 minutes, it's kind of disappointing.
Yeah I respect the hell out of Pearl Jam and really any band who plays a long show. A lot of bands barely go two hours before calling it quits but for a band that's been around as Pearl Jam has and to play for over three hours pretty much whenever they perform is impressive.
Old 10-21-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Seeing Paul Barerre and Fred Tackett (of Little Feat) in an acoustic gig on Saturday night up in Indy. I've seen them many times - both with and without the full band - and they're amazing.

http://www.littlefeat.net/
http://www.paulandfred.net/

Of course, anyone here under the age of 40 (which is seemingly 90% of y'all) might not know about them. That's cool - it just means more for me.
Old 10-22-14, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Paul McCartney last week in Atlanta. I didn't even know he was in town. Learned of it five hours before the show and quickly got a babysitter and tickets from Stubhub. It just dawned on me that I had never seen a Beatle in person and would have always regretted it. The set list was sick (half Beatles/half Wings). He sounds his age at 72. His voice truly is going, but it was still a fun evening and I'm glad we went.
Old 10-22-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw McCartney in August and thought he sounded great for as old as he is so maybe he was having an off night or had a cold or something.
Old 10-22-14, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Saw Marian Call at a small house show last night. Very entertaining.
Old 10-22-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Went to Pearl Jam in Moline, Il last night and show blew the minds of people who've been to 20-30 shows. Legendary performance. Doing entire No Code album in order after opening w/ Small Town.

Here is the opening song. Listen to the crowd Pearl Jams first show in Moline. Eddie even made new song Called Moline during the show. Epic. I went to Pearls Jams website and even their fans are losing their minds. It marked only the 2nd time in entire career they did entire album in order. Last time Eddie said was 1991.
Small town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvIehfpyYA

Moline song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLp9snull0
Sounds like an awesome show. I just saw them two weeks ago here in Tulsa and it was a 3 hour or so extravaganza. Thanks for posting the links!
Old 10-22-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Sounds like an awesome show. I just saw them two weeks ago here in Tulsa and it was a 3 hour or so extravaganza. Thanks for posting the links!
That setlist from Moline did sound pretty cool but honestly I'm sort of glad they didn't do something like that at the show I attended. No Code isn't my favorite of their albums and I prefer more of a mixture I guess. It is cool though due to the fact that they haven't performed a whole album live since 1991.
Old 10-23-14, 10:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

we rarely talk about movie music but I attended a concert tonight from the National Symphony Orchestra and their 'Danny Elfman's Music from the Films of Tim Burton' performance - I was completely nerding out.

Act 1
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Beetlejuice
Sleepy Hollow
Mars Attacks! (with theremin)
Big Fish (underrated, under-appreciated score)
Batman/Batman Returns (wow... just wow - it sounded epic [and loud])

Act 2
Planet of the Apes
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Dark Shadows
Frankenweenie (the concert hall's organ was used for this - thumbs up!)
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (I love this score as well as the movie)
Edward Scissorhands
Alice in Wonderland
Old 10-24-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matisyahu at Club NOKIA in LA last night. Great show and great venue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.