Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

First City Festival (Day 1 & 2) in Monterey, CA
Old 08-26-13, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYF Fest day two:

Jonathan Richman
Fear of Men
Mac DeMarco
Chelsea Wolfe
Poolside
No Age
Yo La Tengo
Beach House
MGMT
My Bloody Valentine
Old 08-30-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heading out to see the Allman Brothers Band tonight. Pretty sure this is my 20th show seeing them (although since I stopped collecting/receiving ticket stubs years ago, I can't verify).
Old 08-31-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary Numan is in town this Wednesday. I still haven't decided if I'm going. How's his live show if anybody can comment?
Old 09-01-13, 12:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw Black Sabbath last Monday in Mountain View, CA. I thought they sounded great.
Old 09-01-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Gary Numan is in town this Wednesday. I still haven't decided if I'm going. How's his live show if anybody can comment?
I saw him back in the 80s - and he was fantastic live.
Can't comment on modern era Gary, though....
Old 09-01-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Dude
Heading out to see the Allman Brothers Band tonight. Pretty sure this is my 20th show seeing them (although since I stopped collecting/receiving ticket stubs years ago, I can't verify).
Was a fantastic show! The soloing during "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" was face melting.
Old 09-01-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw Death Cab for Cutie last night, they played all of Transatlanticism, then a handful of other tunes. Awesome to hear that album whole.
Old 09-01-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dubya
Was a fantastic show! The soloing during "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" was face melting.
Took my wife with me for the first time...not sure I've converted her to a full fan yet, but she was absolutely blown away by both Derek and Warren (she's also developed an old man crush on Gregg).

Good times...plus Winwood was absolutely fantastic.
Old 09-01-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Danzig at the Universal Amphitheater on Friday. Final farewell show for one of L.A.'s top venues. They close for good on Sept. 6th after a rousing performance from... Pepe Aguilar. Out with a whimper.

No clue, but I did see him play a few songs with NIN a couple years back and he sounded great.

Also, I'm going to this show.
Old 09-01-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Dickey Betts and Great Southern. One hell of a "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" too...
Old 09-04-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(9/3/13): Hoax/Condition/DJ Dog Dick (@ Sutro Baths)

Seeing these bands at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco, CA was awesome. Made even more awesome that they played inside a cave.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-04-13 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Iron Maiden & Megadeath, 2nd row in the pit last night.
Old 09-04-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

MC Hammer
at the Taste of Colorado, which is sort of like a county fair without the livestock. It was a good show, at least for the nostalgia factor.

Fantastic, although I had some trouble seeing the stage due to all of the smoke. I definitely recommend going.
Old 09-04-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Danzig at the Universal Amphitheater on Friday. Final farewell show for one of L.A.'s top venues. They close for good on Sept. 6th after a rousing performance from... Pepe Aguilar. Out with a whimper.
You have to let me know how the show is. I'm contemplating going when he comes to NC next month.
Old 09-05-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(9/4/13): Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires/Aaradhna (@ Great American Music Hall)

Amazing performance. Wow!
Old 09-05-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the Gary Numan show last night at the Observatory in Santa Ana. I managed to get a spot on the barricade on the far left side. I admit I'm not familiar with much of his catalog, but it was a fantastic show. Robin Finck from Nine Inch Nails joined the band for a few songs during the main set and the then returned for a couple of other songs during the encore. Glad I went, but now I have a lot of Numan stuff on my Amazon wish list...
Old 09-05-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
You have to let me know how the show is. I'm contemplating going when he comes to NC next month.
This was, I think, my 10th or 11th time seeing Danzig. He always puts on a good show, but I'll say he was especially on point that night. Definitely do not miss it, especially if you've never seen him play with Doyle before.

Saw the Gary Numan show last night at the Observatory in Santa Ana. I managed to get a spot on the barricade on the far left side. I admit I'm not familiar with much of his catalog, but it was a fantastic show. Robin Finck from Nine Inch Nails joined the band for a few songs during the main set and the then returned for a couple of other songs during the encore. Glad I went, but now I have a lot of Numan stuff on my Amazon wish list...
Hey, me too! I was over to the left on the third level barricade. Killer show. Loved the lighting. The venue was hotter than usual last night, which would explain why Gary was constantly drowning himself in bottled water. I was only familiar with about 45-50% of the set list, but everything sounded great.

Lame shit that they had a date-specific poster for sale, but it was signed by Gary and cost $100. No unsigned posters. I thumbed the big stack sitting there and told the guy, "You know you're never going to move all of these tonight, right?" He said he couldn't budge on the price. At least make some unsigned copies available. Geez.
Old 09-05-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was, I think, my 10th or 11th time seeing Danzig. He always puts on a good show, but I'll say he was especially on point that night. Definitely do not miss it, especially if you've never seen him play with Doyle before.

Hey, me too! I was over to the left on the third level barricade. Killer show. Loved the lighting. The venue was hotter than usual last night, which would explain why Gary was constantly drowning himself in bottled water. I was only familiar with about 45-50% of the set list, but everything sounded great.

Lame shit that they had a date-specific poster for sale, but it was signed by Gary and cost $100. No unsigned posters. I thumbed the big stack sitting there and told the guy, "You know you're never going to move all of these tonight, right?" He said he couldn't budge on the price. At least make some unsigned copies available. Geez.
I was really disappointed by the lack of merch avaialble. And to ask $100 for a signed poster? Most artists that pull in this size crowd do a VIP Meet & Greet for that price. Sell the posters unsigned and then promote a meet & greet package separatly. How hard is that? Looks like he's coming back to Los Angeles in October to do a show to promote the new "Splinter" album.
Old 09-05-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have only had the chance to see him once. That was back in '96 or '97 and that was when he was promoting the Blackacidevil album. Pretty awesome show.

It may be a last minute decision since the family is going down to Fl. for a week and we will be getting back a couple of days before the show.
Old 09-05-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dude
Took my wife with me for the first time...not sure I've converted her to a full fan yet, but she was absolutely blown away by both Derek and Warren (she's also developed an old man crush on Gregg).

Good times...plus Winwood was absolutely fantastic.
I misread the poster's name here about 19 times, and was trying to figure out why the HELL OldDude took his wife to see Death Cab For Cutie!

Last edited by emanon; 09-05-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Mission UK @ Irving Plaza NYC
Old 09-06-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
The Mission UK @ Irving Plaza NYC
They're in Los Angeles next week. Great to see that most of the original members have returned. How did they sound and how was the setlist?
Old 09-06-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

They're in Los Angeles next week. Great to see that most of the original members have returned. How did they sound and how was the setlist?
It was a good show, they played for about an hour and a half.

Black Cat Bone
Beyond The Pale
Serpent's Kiss
Naked and Savage
Sometimes the Brightest Light Comes from the Darkest Place
Garden Of Delight
Severina
Butterfly On A Wheel
Everything but the Squeal
Like a Hurricane
Wasteland
Swan Song
Drag
All Along The Watchtower
Deliverance
Tower Of Strength
Old 09-06-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

New York Disco Villains at DragonCon last Sunday night. (And the preceding Thursday night, as well).
I liked them a lot and chatted with the lead singer/keyboardist a bit.
Sort of rockabilly humor rock. My favorite song right now is Quarantine. Here's a link to a few of their songs.
http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...=artist_184955

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.