Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

American Bandstand on vh1?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vaguely remember re-runs of American Bandstand from the 70s-80s being on VH1 in the mid 90s. Does anyone else remember this? I was wondering if they showed full episodes or just clips?
Old 12-09-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: American Bandstand on vh1?

I do remember it being on but (and I could be wrong) I seem to remember them being half hour episodes. Kinda surprised they haven't released a DVD set like the Soul Train nine disc set from Time-Life.
Old 12-09-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its all to do with Dick Clark I guess. He's going to just store this stuff in a vault like he's been doing with everything he owns.
Old 12-11-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember this, around 96-97, they aired them in half-hour edits. They mostly aired episodes from 1975-1985 but they had a few from the 1960's (I remember them airing one with Jefferson Airplane).

And I agree, I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Soul Train/Midnight Special type of thing and release these on DVD in best of sets.
Old 12-12-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info
Old 12-12-11, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I remember this, around 96-97, they aired them in half-hour edits. They mostly aired episodes from 1975-1985 but they had a few from the 1960's (I remember them airing one with Jefferson Airplane).

And I agree, I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Soul Train/Midnight Special type of thing and release these on DVD in best of sets.
The dancers on AB were annoying and AB didn't have many legends like Soul Train/Midnight Special.
Old 12-13-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, there are a couple of issues I can think of:

1) The show went from ABC > syndication > USA Network, so there might be some legal issues holding it up; and

2) Out of 3000+ episodes, only 883 survive. That's certainly plenty to do a "best of" DVD set, but maybe Dick Clark (or, more likely, his people) don't want to do a 70-80s only version. Or something.
Old 12-13-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Well, there are a couple of issues I can think of:

1) The show went from ABC > syndication > USA Network, so there might be some legal issues holding it up; and

2) Out of 3000+ episodes, only 883 survive. That's certainly plenty to do a "best of" DVD set, but maybe Dick Clark (or, more likely, his people) don't want to do a 70-80s only version. Or something.
what about "where the action is"? A mostly lame show but there were loads of big time 60s acts on there and some of it is interesting. None of that is released at all.

I have noticed clips from Bandstand posted by Dick Clark Productions on youtube. It seems like they post the interview segments to advertise licensing to use the material.
Old 12-13-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bandstand was never "the hippest show" and a lot of the biggest rock names never appeared on there (The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Bowie, Elton, Aerosmith, Springsteen, Queen, etc....) but enough pop and r&b legends appeared on there over the years that I think there'd be a market out there for a Time Life type of set. The Who, Prince, Jackson 5, ABBA, Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Blondie, Janet Jackson, etc... would be enough big names to get people to buy "Best of" sets.
Old 12-13-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

Bandstand was never "the hippest show" and a lot of the biggest rock names never appeared on there (The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Bowie, Elton, Aerosmith, Springsteen, Queen, etc....) but enough pop and r&b legends appeared on there over the years that I think there'd be a market out there for a Time Life type of set. The Who, Prince, Jackson 5, ABBA, Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Blondie, Janet Jackson, etc... would be enough big names to get people to buy "Best of" sets.
People are still buying tickets to go see Paul Revere and the Raiders and Three Dog Night. I don't think the absence of the Beatles or the Who would keep them from buying a Bandstand DVD set.
Old 12-13-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
People are still buying tickets to go see Paul Revere and the Raiders and Three Dog Night. I don't think the absence of the Beatles or the Who would keep them from buying a Bandstand DVD set.
My post and the artists I named (I thought The Who did AB in 1967? I seem to recall reading they did I Can See For Miles on there) were actually supporting that I think there is an audience for AB, not discouraging it.
Old 12-13-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My post and the artists I named (I thought The Who did AB in 1967? I seem to recall reading they did I Can See For Miles on there) were actually supporting that I think there is an audience for AB, not discouraging it.
I don't remember them being on there. I remember the famous Smothers Brothers show appearance of that song though. Did you mean this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBQMjbX3c

Pink Floyd were on AB so were the Doors, Love, Jefferson Airplane, etc. There's plenty of big name acts that were on there at some point.

One clip I've always wanted to see is the 13th Floor Elevators appearance where Dick Clark asked "who's head of the band?" and Roky says "we're all heads." They never appeared on the show again.