Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

ZZ TOP new album fall 2011...Produced by Rick Ruben

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-29-11, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been eight years since ZZ Top released an album of new material (Mescalero in 2003), but Billy Gibbons says that the band's latest is currently being mixed and could be out in the fall.

Talking to Mojo magazine, Gibbons said that the still-untitled disc "sounds and feels like Tres Hombres with a few elements of the Eliminator period thrown in. A pretty wide range, from basic blues to slightly more fancy stuff."

While a full trackisting is forthcoming, some song titles have emerged: Flying High, More Slower Blues, Chartreuse and Have A Little Mercy. Gibbons described the latter cut as being inspired by early BB King.

The sessions were executive produced by Rick Rubin. On Rubin, Gibbons said, "The thing about Rick is he pushes the artists to spend more time reaching down deeper than they normally would."

ZZ Top recorded at Shangri La Studios in Malibu, California with engineer Dave Sardy (Oasis, Jet). The trio then moved back to Texas, to Foam Box Recordings in Houston, with long-time engineer Joe Hardy. "It was the Sardy and Hardy party," added Gibbons.
Old 08-29-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: ZZ TOP new album fall 2011...Produced by Rick Ruben

They've been so disappointing for so long now, news of a new album barely registers with me. Hopefully Rubin can bring something good out of them.
Old 08-29-11, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kind of excited for a second until I read the produced by Rick Ruben part. I guess it is going to be nuked in the mastering stage like the latest Metallica, Slayer and Red Hot Chili Pepper cds.
Old 08-30-11, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts

...but he makes a mean sandwich.
Old 08-30-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's going to be one extremely bearded recording session