Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Old 07-23-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Troubled singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her flat in north London, police said. She was 27 years old.

The soul singer struggled with drink and drug addictions. Her death is being treated as unexplained.

"Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square shortly before 4:05 pm (1505 GMT) today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased," a police statement said.

"On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Enquiries continue into the circumstances of the death. At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained."

Winehouse pulled out of a recent comeback tour following a disastrous performance in Serbia.

The singer initially pulled out of festival shows in Istanbul and Athens but her management then cancelled all her remaining gigs.

http://news.yahoo.com/singer-amy-win...164948160.html
Old 07-23-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Kinda cliche to go out at 27.
Old 07-23-11, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know what to say - without sounding snide

here's the BBC's story regarding her death:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237
Old 07-23-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprising? Not in the least.

Sad? Yes definitely.

I thought that she was so very talented and I had hoped for music from her for years to come. It's a damn shame. Drugs are stupid.

If the articles are right, it seems like the people around here were trying to keep her clean, but it just couldn't be done.
Old 07-23-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like the trash...took itself out.

Old 07-23-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Kinda cliche to go out at 27.
First thing that came to my mind also.

Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison too, right?

I am actually surprised it didn't happen three or four years ago.
Old 07-23-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Tragic yet no surprised based on what she was going thu over the last year. Just a few years ago she was on top of the world and had a future in the palm of her hand. But once again success has no meaning or some think they're indestructable and can live forever. She joins the ever growing ranks of talented fools who wasted away gifts that a majority wish they had.
Old 07-23-11, 01:40 PM

RIP, see ya in rehab
Old 07-23-11, 01:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

^ too bad she said no, no, no.

(Had to be done)
Old 07-23-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
First thing that came to my mind also.

Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison too, right?
Yep, yep and yep. Brian Jones and Kurt Cobain also at 27.
Old 07-23-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. I really shouldn't be surprised, but when it actually happens, I'm still thinking, "wow." RIP.
Old 07-23-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I hate that she never got to do a James Bond song as was once discussed. Her voice would have been perfect for one.
Old 07-23-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I hate that she never got to do a James Bond song as was once discussed. Her voice would have been perfect for one.
I'm glad she never did one, considering Shirley Bassey's voice is still better than Winehouse's and she had recorded a song for use in a recent Bond film but was rejected by Sony.
Old 07-23-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not a fan, but truly sad. RIP
Old 07-24-11, 02:11 AM

Hard rock and heavy metal musicians around the world are mourning the loss of Amy Winehouse.

The 27 year-old singer was found dead in her London apartment at 4:05 p.m. GMT. There's no word on the exact cause of death, but Winehouse had been struggling with drug addiction for many years.

Ted Nugent: "B sure to tell ur children that Amy Winehouse suicide is insane stupid"

Brian Fair (SHADOWS FALL): "Heard Amy Winehouse died today. I once ran into her in a hotel lobby in London. It was 7am. I was heading out to the airport she was just coming in like a trainwreck. She grabbed my hair and was like 'I fuckin love ur hair.' With spittle flying. I thought she was a homeless person. I brushed her off and went and washed my hair. RIP."

Myles Kennedy (ALTER BRIDGE, SLASH): "It's just my opinion but Amy Winehouse was a very rare talent. So many songs left unsung. Heartbreaking news."

Rikki Rockett (POISON): "Amy Winehouse - So sad. Condolences to her closest friends and family. Fame does not give you happiness. It's a shame Amy couldn't see the part that surpasses that. The part that she earned and that no tabloid could mar or any critic could ever take away."

Nikki Sixx (MÖTLEY CRÜE) "Drugs suck. How much clearer does the message have to be? R.I.P. Amy Winehouse"

Sebastian Bach (ex-SKID ROW): "Dear Amy W, it is a rough crazy business & there is nothing like being on stage. Once u feel that, nothing else compares. Your pain is gone RIP"

Glenn Hughes (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, DEEP PURPLE): "So sad to hear the news of Soul Sister Amy Winehouse... my heart goes out to her family...Addiction is cunning, baffling and Powerful... GH"

Dave Navarro (JANE'S ADDICTION) "My God! So sad to hear about Amy Winehouse! My deepest condolences to her friends and family and fans. You will be missed Amy xoxox"

Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH) "Amy Winehouse...RIP. I wish you would have said yes, yes, yes. We will miss you."

Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENT) "27=too young to go. It's one thing w legends from another era. But when it happens to someone current, it's freaky, esp. if you're over 27."

Billy Corgan (SMASHING PUMPKINS) "Sad to hear about Amy Winehouse. I mourn any time one of our own passes on. A tragedy...no doubt. Truly sad."

Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY): "Amy Winehouse Just Passed away... She could Fn Sing.. GOD BLESS ?TBLO?"

Eric Avery (ex-JANE'S ADDICTION) "Another tragedy. The spectacular demise of a very talented woman is finished. Amy Winehouse found dead in her London flat."
Old 07-24-11, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Surprised a lot of metal and hard rock guys were into her or just want to be hip and comment on the big news of the day.

I wonder if she ever did a follow-up to Back to Black her hit 2007 album if it would have been a huge success or if that was an impossible act to follow and she might have ended up as a one hit wonder?

Adele sounds similar to Amy Whinehouse.
Old 07-24-11, 06:38 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

In one article I just read, she had just finished her 3rd album, but Island Records had put it on hold until she finished rehab.

I guess it'll be released shortly...
Old 07-24-11, 07:59 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A very predictable ending, but still very sad. Back To Black is an iconic album. That sound will be sorely missed.
Old 07-24-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP. Thanks for the music.
Old 07-24-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only was it cliche to die at 27, it was more cliche to die from drugs. Typical. Not surprised in the least.

I'm more surprised at the people are shocked that she's dead!
Old 07-24-11, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I'm more surprised at the people are shocked that she's dead!
who are these people and where can they be found?
Old 07-24-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Man, not to pile on, but this isn't the least bit surprising. It's like we've been on an Amy Winehouse deathwatch for a couple years now.

Some people can handle addiction and beat it. Some people can't. Amy Winehouse was a hopeless mess. She needed a lot of help - but she also needed to want the help. Obviously, I never met her, and I don't know a thing about her personality, but she had to know that this was going to happen if she didn't stop. There had to be people trying to help her, but did she really want to be helped? Who knows?

The only way to beat addiction like this is to never start that shit in the first place.

So what are we left with? Another talent wasted. Another life ended early.

The loss for her family and friends and the wasted potential are the sad parts of this story. The rest of the story (her self destruction) is just stupid and pointless.
Old 07-24-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dying from overdose is one of the last things on an addicts mind. I believe everyone has the ability to recover, some just don't make it that far.

i've struggled with addiction, though not in the public eye, but i'm sure it's the same for all of us. I sympathize with anyone that dies, regardless of circumstances.

People say they aren't surprised, and well, they have a right to say that. Though it would have been a nice surprise to see her turn her life around. Drugs are powerful, and the odds aren't in the addict's favor, it just upsets me to see someone's death taken lightly because of her lifestyle, and I don't understand anyone to agree with what i'm saying unless you understand the nature of addiction (which most don't).

i've never heard any of her songs, and this news isn't going to prompt me to seek them out, I just hate to see someone lose the battle. it's one of the hardest struggles to overcome.
Old 07-25-11, 04:58 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
dying from overdose is one of the last things on an addicts mind. I believe everyone has the ability to recover, some just don't make it that far.

i've struggled with addiction, though not in the public eye, but i'm sure it's the same for all of us. I sympathize with anyone that dies, regardless of circumstances.

People say they aren't surprised, and well, they have a right to say that. Though it would have been a nice surprise to see her turn her life around. Drugs are powerful, and the odds aren't in the addict's favor, it just upsets me to see someone's death taken lightly because of her lifestyle, and I don't understand anyone to agree with what i'm saying unless you understand the nature of addiction (which most don't).

i've never heard any of her songs, and this news isn't going to prompt me to seek them out, I just hate to see someone lose the battle. it's one of the hardest struggles to overcome.
Well, her lifestyle was one of the most stupid things you can do in life and she chose to do it.
Old 08-23-11, 10:46 AM
Banned

Amy Winehouse's family has released the results of the late singer's toxicology tests, which reveal that no illegal drugs were present in the singer's system at the time of her death, the AP reports.

http://www.spinner.com/2011/08/23/am...id=maing-grid7

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.