Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-11, 06:55 PM   #1
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,108
Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

In rapid fire succession Black Country Communion has just put out their 2nd album, titled simply 2, only NINE MONTHS after the release of their first album.

And it is arguably even better than their first, which was a great 70's Rock type of album.

In case anyone forgot (or just doesn't know) the band is made up of former Deep Purple singer/bass player Glenn Hughes, blues rock guitar player Joe Bonamassa, legendary drummer Jason Bonham, and former Dream Theater keyboard player Derek Sherinian.

Here's the first video for the new album...



I love these guys. Great stuff (if you like Purple, Zep, and Bad Company).


__________________
________________________________________________
The Best Rock Radio on the internet - Vista Records Radio - www.VistaRecordsRadio.com. It's the radio station I've always wanted to hear.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-25-11 at 08:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 11:34 PM   #2
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,108
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Some more from the album...




I'm sure more will show up soon, but this album really is good. Fantastic band.
__________________
________________________________________________
The Best Rock Radio on the internet - Vista Records Radio - www.VistaRecordsRadio.com. It's the radio station I've always wanted to hear.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.

Last edited by B5Erik; 07-02-11 at 09:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 09:52 AM   #3
Mayoman
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 26
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

I wouldn't say Jason Bonham is legendary....his dad obviously yes, but Jason, no.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 10:01 AM   #4
JOE29
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Millville, New Jersey
Posts: 2,615
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

I like them. Loved their first cd. I've heard cuts from 2 but not the whole thing. I went around to FYE and Best Buy last week to buy it and it wasn't there. Best Buy sucks for getting cd's. But I tried anyway. Ended up getting the new Rods cd, which was excellent and Queen A Day at the Races which was horrible except for two songs. Anyway from what I heard I still like BCC's first cd better.
Has more of a nastier edge to it. This one sounds like they went a bit more commercial. But i'll pick it up and judge it better when that happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 10:42 AM   #5
cungar
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,462
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

This thread's title. Hyperbole of the year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 11:09 AM   #6
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,108
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoman View Post
I wouldn't say Jason Bonham is legendary....his dad obviously yes, but Jason, no.
That depends on who you're talking to.

Anyone who is a hard rock afficionado is well aware of Jason Bonham and just how good he is. He's arguably a better drummer than his dad was, and his career has lasted twice as long. Jason's played for Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Foreigner, and has a pretty long list of credits beyond those bands to his name.

Hell, he recorded his first album as a full band member with U.K. group Airrace when he was only 18! He's been doing this for 27 years now, that alone given the fact that he has always been in demand makes him something of a legend in the business. The fact that he is the son of a legend and has managed to equal or surpass his father's playing is just icing on the cake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
This thread's title. Hyperbole of the year.
Maybe, but sometimes hyperbole has it's place - like when you really, honestly think an album is great, for example.
__________________
________________________________________________
The Best Rock Radio on the internet - Vista Records Radio - www.VistaRecordsRadio.com. It's the radio station I've always wanted to hear.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 05:02 PM   #7
rw2516
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,673
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Wasn't Bonham the drummer on that reality tv show about a band? Ted Nugent was the guitarist. I remember "Out On The Tiles" was one of the songs they were learning and Nugent had trouble because the song was too complex for his playing ability.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 06:30 PM   #8
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,108
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Wasn't Bonham the drummer on that reality tv show about a band? Ted Nugent was the guitarist. I remember "Out On The Tiles" was one of the songs they were learning and Nugent had trouble because the song was too complex for his playing ability.
Yeah, Jason was the drummer.

Nugent didn't have any problems with it - it was Sebastian Bach who was having problems with it. It was on the highest part of his range and he was straining really hard to hit the notes and didn't sound good doing it.
__________________
________________________________________________
The Best Rock Radio on the internet - Vista Records Radio - www.VistaRecordsRadio.com. It's the radio station I've always wanted to hear.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 09:03 PM   #9
Rocketdog2000
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,196
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
That depends on who you're talking to.

Anyone who is a hard rock afficionado is well aware of Jason Bonham and just how good he is. He's arguably a better drummer than his dad was, and his career has lasted twice as long. Jason's played for Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Foreigner, and has a pretty long list of credits beyond those bands to his name.

Hell, he recorded his first album as a full band member with U.K. group Airrace when he was only 18! He's been doing this for 27 years now, that alone given the fact that he has always been in demand makes him something of a legend in the business. The fact that he is the son of a legend and has managed to equal or surpass his father's playing is just icing on the cake.




Maybe, but sometimes hyperbole has it's place - like when you really, honestly think an album is great, for example.
Not to mention his own, self-titled band - Bonham - who put out two albums in '89 (The Disregard of Timekeeping) and '92 (Mad Hatter). They even had a hit with the song "Wait For You" off the debut.
__________________
"Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 05:26 AM   #10
rw2516
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,673
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
Not to mention his own, self-titled band - Bonham - who put out two albums in '89 (The Disregard of Timekeeping) and '92 (Mad Hatter). They even had a hit with the song "Wait For You" off the debut.
That the song Robert Plant sings? Sounds lot like Zep.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 09:20 AM   #11
Rocketdog2000
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,196
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
That the song Robert Plant sings? Sounds lot like Zep.
Plant doesn't sing on it, but it does sound like him.
__________________
"Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 06:31 AM   #12
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 52,341
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

But... is it as good as Animalize?
__________________
Movies: 2002 / 03 / 04 / 05 / 06 / 07 / 08 / 09 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 2014

PSN: Chiwotweiler
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 08:48 AM   #13
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,108
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
But... is it as good as Animalize?
No, but then again, what album is? Back in Black? Zeppelin IV? Who's Next?

I think NOT!





In all seriousness, Black Country Communion 2 is a fantastic album if you like Zep, Deep Purple, and Bad Company. If you don't, then you probably won't like it.
__________________
________________________________________________
The Best Rock Radio on the internet - Vista Records Radio - www.VistaRecordsRadio.com. It's the radio station I've always wanted to hear.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 01:56 PM   #14
rw2516
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,673
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Joe Bonamassa has some killer albums also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 08:31 AM   #15
benedict
Moderator
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,485
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

If you like the oldschool style then also try Stuart Smith's Heaven & Earth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:47 PM   #16
johnbook
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the Maize & Blue (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Posts: 1,119
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
No, but then again, what album is? Back in Black? Zeppelin IV? Who's Next?

I think NOT!





In all seriousness, Black Country Communion 2 is a fantastic album if you like Zep, Deep Purple, and Bad Company. If you don't, then you probably won't like it.
I love Zeppelin, Love 80's Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" and the song "Call of the Wild" from 87, and love 80's/90's Bad Company with Brian Howe, these guy's Black Country Communion, yeah i like them not bad.
__________________
I WANNA ROCK! (TWISTED SISTER)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 07:41 PM   #17
BearFan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 5,230
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

I think I like the first album a bit better, but this is still a good one. Real good band, I hope they stay around for a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 12:47 AM   #18
rider555
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: independence MO
Posts: 491
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

I'm just thrilled that Hughes is back to doing rock.That whole blues/funk thing was not my cup of tea at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 10:16 AM   #19
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,181
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Yeah, you can see this stuff at any bar any day of the week. What's with my accountant on lead guitar? Zzzzzz.
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 10:55 AM   #20
johnbook
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the Maize & Blue (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Posts: 1,119
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
In rapid fire succession Black Country Communion has just put out their 2nd album, titled simply 2, only NINE MONTHS after the release of their first album.

And it is arguably even better than their first, which was a great 70's Rock type of album.

In case anyone forgot (or just doesn't know) the band is made up of former Deep Purple singer/bass player Glenn Hughes, blues rock guitar player Joe Bonamassa, legendary drummer Jason Bonham, and former Dream Theater keyboard player Derek Sherinian.

Here's the first video for the new album...



I love these guys. Great stuff (if you like Purple, Zep, and Bad Company).



Good song, the way Glenn moves around so much he reminds me of Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), hell they kinda resemble each other, accept for the age difference.
__________________
I WANNA ROCK! (TWISTED SISTER)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 12:35 PM   #21
comanche_doyle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 525
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Derek's new solo album is supposed to be out at the end of the summer, and I'll be picking that up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 10:38 PM   #22
InnocentBlood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 980
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Thanks to this thread, I picked up both albums. Am listening to the first one currently and it’s REALLY good will give it 2 more spins before I pop in the 2nd album.
__________________
Sex & Violence
Undesirable Publications
In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
5 line max signatures allowed
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:48 AM   #23
InnocentBlood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 980
Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

just listened to the 2nd album - wow i think "2" is a much stronger album than the debut. gonna give it a few more spins...
__________________
Sex & Violence
Undesirable Publications
In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
5 line max signatures allowed
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.