Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Clarence Clemons of The E Street Band has suffered a stroke

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Clarence Clemons of The E Street Band has suffered a stroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Clarence Clemons of The E Street Band has suffered a stroke

This is so shocking, because, seriously, when you see them play live, it's like they're all immortal. Bruce, Clarence, all of them...they may be in their 60's, but they play with the energy of a bunch of twenty-somethings. So sad.
Old 06-19-11, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope he's playing the Jungleland solo in heaven right now

Rest in Peace Big Man
Old 06-19-11, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watching some vids on YouTube... I can't remember the last time I actually cried a little over a celebrity death. I'm really bummed about this. RIP Clarence and peace to your family.
Old 06-19-11, 06:07 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very sad. RIP
Old 06-19-11, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strange. Just woke up about half an hour ago, and the first thing I wondered about was how he was doing. I come downstairs to look at the headlines, and this is what I see.

Been a Springsteen fan for over 25 years. Bought every album he ever released. When I was a kid, I wondered what all the fuss was about, all the rave reviews over Born to Run, etc. I heard Bruce's music on the radio, and it didn't do much for me. But then I got older, and Bruce's stories of the average person trying to find something special and worthwhile in an increasing hostile world really hit home and started to speak to me.

And Clemons' saxophone was like a second lead vocalist in the band. He was absolutely essential to the sound of the group. I agree that no one can replace him.

I am sure Bruce will continue to record and hopefully mine his archives. But there won't be another E Street Band album. That name should be retired with Clemons. It's the end of an era.
Old 06-19-11, 07:20 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

This is really sad news. I saw them in '75 just as Born To Run was coming out, got to hear all the older stuff like Blinded By The Light, Spirit In The Night, It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City, Kitty's Back, Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), as well as all the good tunes from Born To Run. It was a killer concert, Springsteen and the E. Street Band was a killer band, it won't be the same without Clarence... -kd5-
Old 06-19-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Yea...The moment I turned on the PC I saw this.....shocked! Bruce & Clarence are like Jagger & Keith, Daltry & Townsend, Tyler & Perry...

If anyone down't have one of the concert DVD's I'd suggest you do so. The "E-Street Band" also lost Danny Federici who did keyboards and the accordion back in April 2008. Sad day...for the music world. Reminds of the scene in Eddie and the Crusiers when "Eddies" sax player died.
Old 06-19-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Darkness all over town. RIP.
Old 06-19-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember when Bruce was touring with the band from the Human Touch tour doing a benefit show at the Garden, toward the end he started Tenth Ave Freeze Out, like he had done so many times on the tour, but this time would be different, "When They Made the Change Uptown and the Big Man Joined the Band" that was the cue, out from the back came Clarence waling the sax. The crowd went crazy, the mood of the who show changed. He also stayed out for Born to Run. I saw many shows on that tour and let me tell you with the Sax, the sound in those songs just came together, before with out the Sax they seemed empty.

In my book The Who stopped being The Who when Entwistle died, The E Street Band can't be The E Street Band without The Big Man.

RIP Big Man you filled my live with so many great memories, far to many to count.
Old 06-19-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
If anyone down't have one of the concert DVD's I'd suggest you do so.
Yes, definitely. I'd recommend either Live in NYC (reunion era) or Hammersmith (vintage era) for starters to anyone who doesn't have the concert discs. The Hammersmith show is only available as an official DVD release in the Born to Run box set, but that's pretty cheap these days.

Great sound and performance on both. I actually haven't been disappointed yet with any of the Springsteen concert videos I own.
Old 06-19-11, 10:49 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IS5HzSYgq2Y?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IS5HzSYgq2Y?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

A nice little tribute from U2 last night...
Old 06-19-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
And Clemons' saxophone was like a second lead vocalist in the band. He was absolutely essential to the sound of the group. I agree that no one can replace him.

I am sure Bruce will continue to record and hopefully mine his archives. But there won't be another E Street Band album. That name should be retired with Clemons. It's the end of an era.
As has been stated many times before in this thread, and summed up eloquently above,

I hope Springsteen retires the name "E Street Band" now. As much as i like Little Steven, even his leaving wasn't as big a loss as this. The Big Man is too integral to the sound and feeling of the band for it to have the same name after his passing.
Old 06-19-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bruce Springsteen said of Clarence: Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html
Old 06-19-11, 11:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Ripcc.
Old 06-19-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IS5HzSYgq2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A nice little tribute from U2 last night...
I came in here to post that! I shot that last night... I am on my iPad and don't see it in your post...I edited mine...
Old 06-19-11, 01:37 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow!

That's crazy you post here at DVDTalk. I've been checking out your U2 videos this whole tour. Nice stuff!!!

I'm going to the Chicago show in a few weeks... I would die if they kept last nights setlist!
Old 06-19-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

They are gonna use my U2 video tomorrow night on NBC Nightly News on a tribute to Clarence!
Old 06-19-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, Chrisedge that is awesome.

Insanely, I just heard this news this morning.

Insanely, I never saw him play live.

Always thought I had time.

RIP Big man.
Old 06-20-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Rip
Old 06-20-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP. Thanks for the music.
Old 06-20-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Big Man. He was awesome.
Old 06-20-11, 03:43 PM

This is my absolute favorite, and probably the second greatest thing next to his Jungleland solo that Clarence has done:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QHJGSGbhFwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by HUG-H; 06-20-11 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I agree very much! His sax WAS another lead vocal, and I'd go as far as to say it was like an alternate voice for Bruce himself (Hence his very prominent direction of the Jungleland solo during the recording session), as if he wished to express something his own voice couldn't reach. Assuming he would even consider such a thing, I don't think Bruce would find anyone that comes close to Clarence Clemons even if he held auditions all over the world or found a sound-alike on YouTube or something to that effect. It would be like replacing an icon.
Old 06-20-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
It would be like replacing an icon.
Well unfortunately, this has been done quite a few times

... but I don't think Bruce is that crass.
Old 06-20-11, 04:26 PM

^haha I definitely can't argue there!
Of course, Paul Rodgers with Queen at least serves for something a lot better than what a tribute band for either Queen or Bad Company could ever produce.
But even with some exceptional moments The Who never had as consistent a run during anything post-Keith Moon, so, again, no argument.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.