Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

BAD MEETS EVIL (Eminem & Royce da 5'9"): "EP" -6/14/11

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

BAD MEETS EVIL (Eminem & Royce da 5'9"): "EP" -6/14/11

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: BAD MEETS EVIL (Eminem & Royce da 5'9"): "EP" -6/14/11

Originally Posted by Mike86
I listen to a very limited amount of rap.
Why?
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't listen to too much rap.
Why not?

This album is pretty damn good, I'm happy Royce is getting more exposure....
Old 06-20-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't know just not a huge fan I guess. I like some of the bigger names in rap like Dr. Dre, Beastie Boys, Eminem, some Snoop Dogg, (mostly the older stuff), Run DMC, and that's really about it.
Old 06-20-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know just not a huge fan I guess. I like some of the bigger names in rap like Dr. Dre, Beastie Boys, Eminem, some Snoop Dogg, (mostly the older stuff), Run DMC, and that's really about it.
A lot of people really just kind of grow up and get tired of most rap at some point. Some maybe in the early 20s and some later on.

That being said, I still enjoy hearing about triflin' ass bitches from time to time. It's good for the soul.
Old 06-25-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Fuck no, Recovery is at the bottom with Encore.
Old 06-25-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bad Meets Evil -- the hip-hop duo of Eminem and Royce da 5'9" -- bows at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 as its "Hell: the Sequel" launches with 171,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set beats out 11-year old Jackie Evancho's first major-label full-length effort, "Dream With Me," which arrives at No. 2 with 161,000.

Eminem has previously topped the chart six times as a solo act, and twice as part of D12. He last reigned when his own "Recovery" spent seven nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 last year. Until this week, Royce da 5'9" had never gone higher than No. 110 with 2009's "Street Hop."

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/emin...05244202.story
Old 06-25-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eminem Collaborator Denaun Porter Talks Bad Meets Evil, D12's Future

The D12 member and Eminem's onstage hype man, also known as Mr. Porter, produced five of the set's tracks and is listed as an executive producer along with Eminem. "I worked on it from the beginning, from before we even knew it was going to be an EP," Porter tells Billboard.com. "The minute that I knew we were doing to start doing it, I started working. It's a big thing for me. I definitely feel like it's just as much my project as theirs."

Royce adds that Porter "brought a real positive energy into the studio. He brought a lot of beats, a lot of different ideas. He was real excited the whole time we were working. His vibe is just positive and...really a big part of this thing."

Porter says that he was just as surprised by "Hell: The Sequel" as Eminem and Royce. He and Royce were working on material last year for the rapper's next album and decided to approach Eminem to be on a track called "I'm On Everything." "It had this feeling that Em would be right on it," Porter recalls, "but we were thinking about how Em could talk about being on drugs and everything being that he wasn't in that place anymore. But it turned out crazy. He wound up jumping right back into that character, and that showed how clear-minded he is, to be able to remember what to say and how to say it when it came to that concept. Everything really started there."

He was also happy to be part of a project that once and for all put to rest a long-held feud Eminem and D12 had with Royce. "I believe for those two guys it was a lot of, 'Man, I wish we could've done this a long time ago. I wish this would've happened back then,' " Porter says. "For them I felt like it was a really gratifying experience."

Porter, who produced the track "On Fire" on Eminem's 2010 album "Recovery," says that after so many years together in D12 and on stage it was gratifying to work with the superstar MC in a greater capacity. "I was able to bring concepts to the table and produce," he notes. "I've always wanted to do that with Em, and I never felt like I was actually ready. Now I felt like I was ready, and it was just a lot of fun, man. We approached everything with clear minds and no expectations. We just did it."

Porter has plenty to do in the wake of "Hell: The Sequel's" success. He's working with Royce on his upcoming solo album -- "Success is Certain," which drops July 26 -- as well as the all-star group Slaughterhouse's Shady Records debut. He also produced two songs for Dr. Dre's "Detox" that he describes as "really different. I didn't want to do what everybody else was doing and...send him a weed-smoking song. Dre's like a big brother to me, so I know what to approach him with, and the songs we did for him are totally different." And Porter, like the rest of the world, is waiting to hear when "Detox" will finally be released.

"I don't care when it comes out, really," Porter says. "It doesn't matter to me if it ever comes out. I understand the pressure he's got on him, everybody asking for it. He's just real particular about songs. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, it doesn't. He can do whatever he wants."

Porter is also working with up-and-coming artists for his My Own Planet production company and is getting into software design. He also hopes to return to film work after composing the score for 2007's "Waist Deep," and he predicts another D12 album is in the offing -- although it may be something of a finale for the group.

"Because it's so different without (the late) Proof there, I don't think I would do it any justice just because my mind state has changed so much," Porter explains. "My concept and the things I want to do are so much different than what I remember when I was younger and we started (the group). But I want to go out with a bang. I want to go out with a big party. I think we've been through enough turmoil. I definitely want to twist up the Lady Gaga approach and take a page from that book and twist it in a D12 way -- almost like a monster disco. That's really what I'm looking at."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 06-26-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't given this a listen yet; I think I fall in that group that outgrew some of Eminem's rap. The horrorcore-type stuff did nothing for me. "3 AM", some of the stuff from "My Mom", and the kidnap/rape skit pushed my listening tastes too far. I respect his ability and his creativity, and I know it's just an act. I just can't deal with it anymore.
Old 06-26-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Then this record is definitely not for you. His solo stuff has mellowed out a bit (not much) but this is him back in full on Slim Shady mode, with an extremely vicious flow - but it's really damn good IMO.
Old 06-28-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
A lot of people really just kind of grow up and get tired of most rap at some point. Some maybe in the early 20s and some later on.
That's a really ridiculous comment, No one else gets tired of other music? It happens with every genre, why single out Hip Hop/Rap like that?
Originally Posted by reubs82
The horrorcore-type stuff did nothing for me.
I love that style from him....