Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lady Gaga says NO to Weird Al parody... for charity!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 01:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

edit: crap, didn't even see the gaga thread. mods can move this if they deem necessary.

http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

tl;dr version of the story:
In a metaphorical nutshell, here’s what happened.

I wrote and recorded what I thought was going to be the first single off of my new album: a parody of “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga called “Perform This Way.” But after hearing it, Lady Gaga decided not to give me permission to release the song, so… it won’t be coming out commercially anytime in the near future. Sorry.
Al adds that he would have donated all profits from the song and video to the Human Rights Campaign, and apparently made this known to Lady Gaga's crew.

http://youtu.be/fUxXKfQkswE
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fUxXKfQkswE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Dan; 04-20-11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lady Gaga says NO to Weird Al parody... for charity!

she seems so full of herself, it's kind of embarrassing really. Even the queen of bitches Madonna let Al parody her song, lame.
Old 04-20-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I would rather listen to Weird Al's version than her crappy version.
Old 04-20-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's (sic) pathetic.
Old 04-20-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't like her one bit one bit
Old 04-20-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is a bastard(Gaga) and I hope his adam's apple explodes on stage.
Old 04-20-11, 03:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.tmz.com/2011/04/20/weird-...form-this-way/

The plot thickens!

According to sources, "She's busy touring and hasn't heard the song yet. Her manager hasn't had a chance to play it for her yet" -- adding, "She's a huge Weird Al fan."

A bizarre situation -- because Al claims Gaga's manager is the one who denied him in the first place ... forcing him to release "Perform This Way" unofficially on YouTube.
Old 04-20-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
According to sources, "She's busy touring and hasn't heard the song yet. Her manager hasn't had a chance to play it for her yet" -- adding, "She's a huge Weird Al fan."

A bizarre situation -- because Al claims Gaga's manager is the one who denied him in the first place ... forcing him to release "Perform This Way" unofficially on YouTube.
Damn even FedEx can get it to 'her' within 24 hours much less an email.

This is fun .....................

Lady Gaga has heard the accusations that her new singles sound like old Madonna songs, and she's not taking kindly to them.

In a new interview with NME, the popstar has hit out against those saying her smash hit "Born This Way" is a ripoff of Madonna's "Express Yourself."

"That's retarded," she said about the accusations (via Oh No They Didn't). "If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the chord progression. It's the same one that's been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I'm the first f**king artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn't mean I'm a plagiarist, it means I'm f**king smart. Sorry."

She's also getting criticism, this time from religious groups, over her new song, "Judas," told from the point of view from Mary Magdelene.

"I feel like honestly that God sent me those lyrics and that melody," Gaga shot back, getting emotional. "When you feel a message to give to the world and people are shooting arrows through it ... there's no way for something that pure to be wrong."

The conservative Catholic League disagreed, though they've also lashed out at her music video, which hasn't even come out yet.

"This is a stunt... Lady Gaga tries to continue to shock Catholics and Christians in general: she dresses as a nun... she swallows the rosary. She has now morphed into a caricature of herself," Catholic League President Bill Donohue said in a statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...n_851527.html\
Old 04-20-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh noes....how dare she!

Meh, She's in good company. Prince, Jimmy Page and Paul McCartney have all refused Weird Al.

In related news, I finally figured out what this sticker stands for:

Last edited by covenant; 04-20-11 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Seems possible the manager lied to Al and never gave it to her to listen to. I don't see why Lady Gaga wouldn't let Al parody her. She doesn't seem to take herself that seriously.
Old 04-20-11, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see how anyone could say no to Weird Al in this day and age. I remember seeing an interview with Dave Grohl where he said he knew Nirvana had made it when Weird Al asked to parody "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Getting a Weird Al parody is practically an honor at this point.
Old 04-20-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't see how anyone could say no to Weird Al in this day and age. I remember seeing an interview with Dave Grohl where he said he knew Nirvana had made it when Weird Al asked to parody "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Getting a Weird Al parody is practically an honor at this point.
One of the things I like about Weird Al is that he bothers to get permission.
Old 04-20-11, 03:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Not just that, he gets permission before wasting his time writing/recording a parody. This Lady Gaga situation seems to be the only time he went out on a limb for an artist. Hell, he even sent the lyrics and that wasn't good enough for Gaga or, maybe more appropriately, her manager to give approval.
Old 04-20-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

He should ask Madonna for permission since "Born This Way" is a rip-off if "Express Yourself"
Old 04-20-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
One of the things I like about Weird Al is that he bothers to get permission.
He has to. I'm not an attorney, but if I remember the copyright laws correctly, anyone can cover a song without permission. But if you make a substantial change to it (especially lyrically), you need permission from the original songwriter(s)/copyright holder.
Old 04-20-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'm not an attorney
Evidently. Parody is covered by fair use, but Yankovic always asks for permission out of respect.
Old 04-20-11, 04:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing I noticed while listening to this song... it's one of the few of his I can think of where the song itself is actually mocking the original artist. Usually he uses the music but makes the lyrics about some unrelated topic (food, tv shows, movies, etc.) but this song is all about making fun of Gaga. I wonder if this had something to do with why she declined. Off the top of my head, the only other ones I can think of where he actually made fun of the artist in the lyrics is "Smells Like Nirvana" and "Achy Breaky Song", and even those were really more about those songs themselves and not as much about the artist.

I'm not saying it's a good reason to turn him down, but it could be a factor in her decision.
Old 04-20-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I don't see why Lady Gaga wouldn't let Al parody her. She doesn't seem to take herself that seriously.
Originally Posted by Flashback
"I feel like honestly that God sent me those lyrics and that melody," Gaga shot back, getting emotional. "When you feel a message to give to the world and people are shooting arrows through it ... there's no way for something that pure to be wrong."
*cough*
Old 04-20-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Oh noes....how dare she!

Meh, She's in good company. Prince, Jimmy Page and Paul McCartney have all refused Weird Al.
but Jimmy has done parodies of people's songs all the time. The least he could of done was let Al do one.
Old 04-20-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

McCartney refused Al? he sucks :P
Old 04-20-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think McCartney and Prince refused him well before he was a household name.
Old 04-20-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I am a huge Al fan but this one just isn't that good. I would have preferred he do one of her other songs or just relegated her to a polka.
Old 04-20-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I think McCartney and Prince refused him well before he was a household name.
no:

Al says that, for a while there, he'd go to Prince after almost every major hit and ask for permission to make a parody. He wanted to make a song off of "Let's Go Crazy" -- Prince said no. "When Doves Cry" -- another no. "Purple Rain" -- another no. Once upon a time, Al said he was going to keep asking Prince every few years to see if he'd change his stance.
"Eat it" debuted the same year as all those Purple Rain hits, 1984.

and:

In 1984, McCartney asked "Weird Al" Yankovic when he was going to parody one of his songs. A couple of years later, Yankovic asked for permission to put his parody "Chicken Pot Pie" on an album (as a courtesy; legally he did not need permission). McCartney denied the use because he is a vegetarian and didn't want to promote the eating of animal flesh. Fellow vegetarian Yankovic said he respected the decision; however, he has performed the song live.

Last edited by covenant; 04-20-11 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I sense a MAJOR Lady Gaga backlash with this upcoming album media onslaught. Mainly because she's been overhyped for the last 3 years and she has nowhere near the talent to sustain it.

By the way I think the Weird Al song is brilliant.
Old 04-20-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
The one thing I noticed while listening to this song... it's one of the few of his I can think of where the song itself is actually mocking the original artist. Usually he uses the music but makes the lyrics about some unrelated topic (food, tv shows, movies, etc.) but this song is all about making fun of Gaga. I wonder if this had something to do with why she declined. Off the top of my head, the only other ones I can think of where he actually made fun of the artist in the lyrics is "Smells Like Nirvana" and "Achy Breaky Song", and even those were really more about those songs themselves and not as much about the artist.

I'm not saying it's a good reason to turn him down, but it could be a factor in her decision.
I had the same reaction. He's basically calling her a hyped up poser. Which she is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.