Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

June 28th is release day

Amazon has preview clips for the entire album.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-16-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Blech. Won't even bother downloading.
Old 05-17-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the preview clips aren't helping, although it does seem like a step up from American Soldier. More along the lines of OMII or Tribe.
Old 05-17-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abysmal, the disappointment has been officially confirmed! I'm not sure what audience they are trying to target, but it definitely misses the mark for me.
Old 05-18-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow! I didn't think they could ever create something remotely as shitty as Tribe, but this one is probably even worse.
Old 05-18-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In my CD binders I still had every QR CD up to and including American Soldier in there just for completist sake, but now that I know how shitty this one will be, I'm just going to remove everything after Promised Land. The band officially died in the mid-90's. RIP
Old 05-18-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if Degarmo rejoining is the only thing that can save them from themselves at this point.
Old 05-18-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Degarmo was involved with Tribe and Hear In The Now Frontier, and those sucked, so I'm not sure his presence or lack thereof changes anything.
Old 05-18-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Degarmo was involved with Tribe and Hear In The Now Frontier, and those sucked, so I'm not sure his presence or lack thereof changes anything.
Sadly enough, your point is well taken. There's always Rick Rubin. If anyone could turn them around, it would be him.
Old 07-01-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So if Queensryche releases an album and no one buys it, did they actually release an album?
Old 07-02-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just listened to the previews on amazon. Not good at all.
Old 07-06-11, 01:12 PM

Been through the cd about 10 times and here's my review of Dedicated To Chaos.

1. Get Started-5 stars- So far one of my favs. Good bass line and very catchy. Very radio friendly.

2. Hot Spot Junkie- 4 stars- Very Q2Kish. Cool little guitar riff from Whip. Scott probably had fun with this one. Also one of the heavier songs.

3. Got It Bad- 3 stars- Little to Thomas Dolby for me. Has a slight "I Am I" feel. Another good bass line but not crazy about the chorus and a little to dance mix-y. Probably a Susan song. Meh?

4. Higher- 3.5 stars- Great intro from Edbass. One of the sax songs. Has a nice prgressive guitar lick at 2:00 minutes in. Zappa-ish. This song grew on me as I heard it more.

5. Wot We Do- 3 stars- So Cabaret it's not funny and another sax song. I can see Tate shirtless in his leggings doing high kicks on stage with a cane and top hat. This song belongs in a musical not a rock album.

6. Around The World- 3 stars- I'm not sure if this is Tates attempt at a U2 tune or a Steven Curtis Chapman gospel diddy. Again. Catchy but so is crabs.

7. Drive- 3 stars- Probably the most original Queensryche song on this cd. Dirving beat with some interesting twists musically and lyrically. I like it a little more every time I listen.

8. At The Edge- 4 stars- Piano intro teases another "Someone Else", which is a hell of a song, but then morhps into a "Fear City Slide" groove. This song belongs on OMCII. You need to paitent with this one. Has some sax filler, again. God forbid Tate learns the juiceharp. Nice rocking finish.

9. I Take You- 4 stars- Good rockin' Ryche song with everyone accounted for. Would fit nicely on HITNF cd.

10. Retail Therapy- 4 stars- The most fun tune on this album. Starts with a nice Whip riff and moves right into a good fuckin' groove. Relevant lyrics about the "instant gratification" generation. Favorite song on the LP. This should've been their initial release. Could definately hear this on an FM rock station.

11. The Lie- 4 stars- Very "Sign Of The Times" riff. Little heavier and some progressive solo work and decent groove.

12. Big Noize- 3 stars- This song reminds me of eating a huge Thanksgiving dinner, leaning back from the table, unbuttoning my pants and letting out a huge paint peeling belch. It just finishes of a pretty decent listening with a slow, comfortable song and eases you into a nice long nap.

I'm going to give this a B. They lost the + because they built up an RFO meets Empire album. Dedicated To Chaos is more like a HITNF, Q2k ,OMCII minage a trois. Which, if lubed up correctly can be a quite enjoyable experience. Although The Ryche and I have different definitions of "chaos", I do understand the evolution of the band and it's musics needs to fit the bands relative existence in a vacuus post-metal environment.

Whatever that means.
Old 07-06-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10 times - holy Christ.
Old 07-06-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been thru it twice and here's my review:

"Get Started" - Shit Sandwich
"Hot Spot Junkie" - Shit Sandwich
"Got it Bad" - Shit Sandwich
"Around the World" - Shit Sandwich
"Higher" - Shit Sandwich
"Retail Therapy" - Shit Sandwich
"At the Edge" - Shit Sandwich
"Broken" - Shit Sandwich
"Hard Times" - Shit Sandwich
"Drive" - Shit Sandwich
"I Believe" - Shit Sandwich
"Luvnu" - Shit Sandwich
"Wot We Do" - Shit Sandwich
"I Take You" - OK
"The Lie" - OK
"Big Noize" - Shit Sandwich
Old 07-07-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Higher" - Shit Sandwich
"Broken" - Shit Sandwich
"Drive" - Shit Sandwich
"Luvnu" - Shit Sandwich
"I Take You" - OK
"The Lie" - OK
They can't print that.
Old 07-07-11, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
10 times - holy Christ.
Road trip to the coast. Could've been the bong hits.
Old 07-10-11, 07:58 AM

"Higher" - Shit Sandwich
"Broken" - Shit Sandwich
"Drive" - Shit Sandwich
"Luvnu" - Shit Sandwich
"I Take You" - OK
"The Lie" - OK

Best review I have seen!

I just spun it all the way through.This is a sad day for me.I have been a huge QR fan since day 1. I have met all the guys (except DeGarmo),been to over 20 shows.I will (as someone else said earlier) jam "Dedicated to being Lame" into my disc holder in the QR section just simply to complete the collection.

This is unacceptable! I may have found one song that may have made it on the B side of Q2K on this unlistenable urinal cake! If QR is going to do this kind of stuff,then why not just retire? This is embarrassing!

Oh,and "Dedicated to Chaos" ? Seriously?? It sounds like a Barry Manilow "best of". Never have I seen a more misleading title to a disc.

I want my $13.88 back Geoff! You should have scrapped this deal long before it was done editing.

Lastly, I understand Kelly Gray was involved in this heaping pile of crap....Well, that explains it! You ruined another one Kelly!

I'm gonna go put in my "Rage for Order" Disc so I can change my mood a bit...

Steve,,,
Old 07-10-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have to admit, the title was prophetic. The band has generated anger, disbelief and repulsion. Chaos reigns! The sad part is, by the time the dust clears and they put out the next album, it will probably be brilliant and no one will care.
Old 07-10-11, 09:51 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and hastily judge this CD without actually listening all the way through. Thanks, but going through the soundclips is more than enough to cement my already very low opinion of all QR since Promised Land. So, yeah, this albums sounds like a colossal piece of sh*t. Total joke. Seriously, how else can you interpret this? Geoff seems like a total douche at this point. I just watched the "Wot The F**K (or whatever it's called)" clip on YouTube and literally almost died of laughter. Geoff, are you serious? Caberet? Really? How many brain cells have you killed? Oh wait, you're just so much smarter than us all. You "get" it. That's right, I forgot. We're just not as evolved as you, right?

Whatever, who cares? I honest don't. I'm just bored. And flabbergasted how a band that actually created RFO, Mindcrime, Empire, etc., could produce such horendous shite ever since Promised Land. Seriously, not one "good" songe since then. Don't kid yourself folks. Okay, okay, one or two off of HITNF were okay (can't remember their names). But that's it. I gave up after Q2K. I've been listening to samples ever since and simply can't be bothered to "try" music that isn't immediately obvious of value, melody, talent, etc. Life is too short. Listen to some good music. It's out there. Try the new Bloodbound album, Unholy Cross, if you really want some kick-ass moder metal. Forget these goofy ol' morons. For the record, here are my ratings of QR's catalog just for gigles:

1. EP -- 6/10
2. The Warning -- 7.5/10
3. RFO -- 9.5/10
4. O:M -- 9.8/10
5. Empire -- 9.5/10
6. Promised Land -- 7.7/10
7. HITNF -- 4/10
8. Q2K -- 1/10
9. Tribe -- 0/10
10. American Soldier -- -3/10
11. This Piece of Crap -- -5/10 so far that I can tell
Old 07-11-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ you left off Mindcrime 2.

Up until this album, which I haven't bought, American Soldier was the first time I was totally disappointed. I can't even get through the full album. Tribe has a few decent tracks though.
Old 07-11-11, 08:46 AM

Haha, yeah, I guess that says a lot about the album that I totally forgot about it!

Um, I give it a 3.5/10

"The Chase" is a pretty good song actually but it's probably Dio that brings any coolness to it. Seriously, that album is so Pro-Tooled it's scary. NONE of the electro-gated sound that made the original so unique. Oh, yeah, and the songs suck...nothing even remotely in the same universe as Breaking The Silence (my fave QR song)...
Old 07-24-11, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by somethingfast
I'm gonna go ahead and hastily judge this CD without actually listening all the way through. Thanks, but going through the soundclips is more than enough to cement my already very low opinion of all QR since Promised Land. So, yeah, this albums sounds like a colossal piece of sh*t. Total joke. Seriously, how else can you interpret this? Geoff seems like a total douche at this point. I just watched the "Wot The F**K (or whatever it's called)" clip on YouTube and literally almost died of laughter. Geoff, are you serious? Caberet? Really? How many brain cells have you killed? Oh wait, you're just so much smarter than us all. You "get" it. That's right, I forgot. We're just not as evolved as you, right?

Whatever, who cares? I honest don't. I'm just bored. And flabbergasted how a band that actually created RFO, Mindcrime, Empire, etc., could produce such horendous shite ever since Promised Land. Seriously, not one "good" songe since then. Don't kid yourself folks. Okay, okay, one or two off of HITNF were okay (can't remember their names). But that's it. I gave up after Q2K. I've been listening to samples ever since and simply can't be bothered to "try" music that isn't immediately obvious of value, melody, talent, etc. Life is too short. Listen to some good music. It's out there. Try the new Bloodbound album, Unholy Cross, if you really want some kick-ass moder metal. Forget these goofy ol' morons. For the record, here are my ratings of QR's catalog just for gigles:

1. EP -- 6/10
2. The Warning -- 7.5/10
3. RFO -- 9.5/10
4. O:M -- 9.8/10
5. Empire -- 9.5/10
6. Promised Land -- 7.7/10
7. HITNF -- 4/10
8. Q2K -- 1/10
9. Tribe -- 0/10
10. American Soldier -- -3/10
11. This Piece of Crap -- -5/10 so far that I can tell
Your thoughts are dead on the money.Although, if you are giving this new disc
a 5/10 then Tribe would have to be at least even with that and really higher.. My ratings would be this one a -2,Tribe a 6/10 and I would bump The Warning up from a 7.5 to a strong 9.0.Just based on "Roads to Maddness" (my all time fav.) alone it gets a 9.All good fun.
Old 08-06-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by stevec3896
Your thoughts are dead on the money.Although, if you are giving this new disc
a 5/10 then Tribe would have to be at least even with that and really higher.. My ratings would be this one a -2,Tribe a 6/10 and I would bump The Warning up from a 7.5 to a strong 9.0.Just based on "Roads to Maddness" (my all time fav.) alone it gets a 9.All good fun.
No, that's a NEGATIVE 5 up there...as in "-5".

It sounds like some of the worst indulgences I've ever heard. Geoff Tate is quite obviously the Jim Jones of non-relevant hard rock/metal and the rest of the band is gulping down his kool aid. buncha idiots. I remember thinking these guys had totally lost it first listen of HITNF way back in '97. Nothing has changed...they've just gotten lazier and stoopider. they are an embarrassment to their legacy at this point. why am i even writing this? folks, let's move on from this car wreck...
Old 05-29-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Queensryche done?

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=174669

According to TicketWeb.com, the core members of QUEENSRŸCHE will debut their new band RISING WEST on Friday, June 8 and Saturday, June 9 at the Hard Rock Café in Seattle, Washington.

RISING WEST features Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Parker Lundgren of QUEENSRŸCHE, with powerhouse vocalist Todd La Torre of CRIMSON GLORY. The band will perform rare and classic hits from the first five QUEENSRŸCHE albums and plans on hitting the studio sometime early summer to begin recording its first release.

A seven-minute YouTube clip containing samples of Todd La Torre performing a number of QUEENSRŸCHE classics is available below.

QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate entered the studio on February 29 to begin recording his second solo album.

Tate released his first solo CD in 2002 on Sanctuary Records. Self-titled, the LP was a huge departure from the work he had previously done with QUEENSRŸCHE.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NHICUMjG4oI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-29-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'd be more excited if they picked up some Crimson Glory tunes live as well. Red Sharks!

Still, this guy is like 95% there with his Tate impression.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.