Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Surprised there wasn't a bump yesterday. Phil announced his retirement is over. His kids want to see him in action. He is working on a solo recording for now. He didn't discount a Genesis reunion but just wants to focus on solo stuff for now.
Awesome. If he can sing and drum again I would love to hear a new rock solo album and another round with Genesis.
Old 11-01-15, 12:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

his son's band is awful. talk about vag-rock. jfc.
Old 11-10-15, 04:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of my fave singers of all time
Old 11-10-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by VcdCollectors
one of my fave singers of all time
I love his voice, too. I can listen to his greatest hits & the live albums over and over.
Old 11-17-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,251 Likes on 4,272 Posts

Phil is re-releasing his eight solo albums as part of his comeback. The first two to be released will be put out in a Collector's edition packaging called "Take A Look At Me Now", which will have remastered 2-disc sets of Face Value and Both Sides, and in a box with enough space for all eight two-2CD albums.
Spoiler:

Phil Collins: Take a look at him now

By Madeleine Marr

Only an “act of God” will keep Phil Collins from fulfilling his duties this time around.

At last year’s gala fundraiser for his Little Dreams Foundation at The Fillmore, the music legend was forced to disappoint attendees by bowing out at the last minute due to health issues.

The former Genesis frontman turned solo superstar has an added boost: By the evening of Dec. 12, he should be fully recovered from back surgery he underwent at the University of Miami Spine Institute earlier this month.

“Excuse me if I sound a bit off; I’m on moderate painkillers,” says the self-effacing Brit, his signature raspy voice a bit more hoarse than usual. “I’m functioning perfectly otherwise. They fused some discs, and I should be up and running in no time. I’ve been playing drums all my life so this is probably one of the repercussions.”

Collins is further motivated for the charity event’s performance, thanks to the storied Miami Beach venue.

“It’s quite a special place, and it’s nice when you see they haven’t knocked it down to build something new,” says Collins. “I’m so used to playing stadiums and arenas — which are really just concrete boxes.”

The gala is just one of many things on Collins’ plate. The 64-year-old, who had been in semi-retirement living in Geneva, Switzerland, is on the verge of a comeback.

As part of the “Take a Look at Me Now” campaign, all eight of the prolific singer-songwriter’s solo albums starting with his 1981 debut Face Value will be remastered and reissued as part of a new catalog deal with Warner Music Group. Originally set for November, the campaign is now slated to start in late January due to Collins’ operation.

The singer of such timeless classics as Sussudio, Something in the Air Tonight and Against All Odds says he was “iffy” about the reissuing idea at first but now is quite pleased with the outcome.

“I didn’t want my fans to have to buy everything all over again,” he says. “But you’ll be getting different sounds. There’s a variety of stuff — every album will have a second life with rare versions of songs or demos and new artwork. This is something I’ve got my fingerprints all over.”

Amazingly, it seems the ever humble Collins is just now starting to understand just how important his music is in the grand scheme.

“Well, you know some of these young artists are citing me as an influence, which is very brave of them,” he snickers. “People like Lorde, Pharrell, apparently listened to me while growing up. So this is a good time to rediscover me, if you will.”

Die-hard Phil aficionados will also get to rediscover Collins with a forthcoming, as yet untitled autobiography due out in October 2016 published by Crown Archetype, which is owned by Penguin Random House.

“I’m not really supposed to talk about it,” says the seven-time Grammy Award winner about the memoir. “But I will say I’ve been thinking about doing it a long time. I’ve played with a lot of people over the years and got loads and loads of rude stories that haven’t been told properly. I’ll try to set the record straight.”

Despite all the projects, Collins makes time for his Little Dreams Foundation, which he launched with his ex-wife, local jeweler Orianne Collins Mejjati, 15 years ago. (They share custody of their two sons who attend Miami Country Day School.)

“I kept getting letters from kids who wanted to break into show business — not necessarily music, but arts, dance, sports, whatever,” Collins explains of starting the foundation. “I didn’t know what to tell them: That it’s really difficult? To stick with it anyway? It’s expensive? So I thought, ‘Let’s come up with an idea to realize a dream. Let’s help you up the first rung of the ladder.’ It’s just a way of encouraging people, taking them under our wing and seeing if they have real talent or it should be best left as a hobby.”

Tickets for the Livenation concert are at Ticketmaster. For more information, visit www.ldf.cc.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertain...#storylink=cpy
Old 03-02-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 732 Likes on 597 Posts

Now I feel stupid for downloading them off Itunes in 2015 when i could have waited for the box set.

Cool they are the same covers of his face but updated for how he looks now.

He did a interview on CBS This Morning.

Did not know Adele was a fan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/ph...the-spotlight/
Old 03-02-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice to see the reissues, but kind of disappointed that so far the discs don't have any real b-sides or rarities, just live stuff and demos. Hope the 'No Jacket Required' set includes stuff of that era like "Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey and "Against All Odds". I'll buy the reissues up to "But Seriously," but after that his solo stuff mostly leaves me cold.
Old 03-03-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Hope the 'No Jacket Required' set includes stuff of that era like "Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey and "Against All Odds".
Perhaps they may fill up a chuck of the bonus disc with the 12"ers.
Old 03-03-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,251 Likes on 4,272 Posts

It seems hard to imagine that they'd call the collection "Take A Look At Me Now" and not include the song Against All Odds somewhere in the collection.
Old 03-03-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Face Value re-issue has a Against All Odds demo on the second disc.

As much of a Phil era Genesis fan as I am, much of his solo stuff didn't click with me. It also always bothered me that many of his better songs were on soundtracks, which is why I only have his Hits CD and the Brother Bear and Tarzan soundtracks.

And IMO the updated headshots on the covers are creepy given some of the original versions were already leaning that way,
Old 03-17-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have always been a huge fan of Phil Collins Solo/Genesis music, but I do like his Genesis stuff more. I would say that 1985-86 was the peak of his career in terms of popularity: No Jacket Required #1 Solo Album, Invisible Touch #1 Album, #1 Song Easy Lover with Phillip Bailey, Took the Concord to play both Wembley and JFK for Live Aid. Although he may have overexposed himself as I believe there was some Phil Collins/Genesis backlash by the late 80's if I recall?