Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen New Album

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Van Halen New Album

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I went to Anaheim and found Dave's vocals to be flat out awful most of the evening. He didn't even try singing some of the lyrics, and I'm not talking about a holding the mic to the audience move. He just deferred to the backing vocals (of Ed and Wolfy), which sounded way better than he did. He sounded nothing like he did on ADKOT or prior. OTOH, Eddie was on fire, so I didn't leave entirely disappointed. Eddie really looked like he was having a ball all evening. Can't understand why the tour is being halted after only 6 more shows unless it's due to the aforementioned Dave issue. All in all, was a decent show, but won't spend money to go see them again.
I was there last night and your review is pretty spot-on. At first I thought it was where I was sitting (nosebleeds way up high next to Eddie's side of the stage). While DLR's schtick was what I'd expected, the vocal performance was all over the place. The band themselves were great. Music-wise, they were spot-on. Seeing a band like this really hit home on how important their backing vocals have always been. If Eddie messed anything up guitar-wise, I certainly didn't notice it. Sobreity was the best thing he could've done for himself and it was great to see what a good time he was having up there. Great to have DLR back, but I was sad to see how much he relied on talking through the lyrics or just gesturing at the rest of the band.
Old 06-13-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
I was there last night and your review is pretty spot-on. At first I thought it was where I was sitting (nosebleeds way up high next to Eddie's side of the stage). While DLR's schtick was what I'd expected, the vocal performance was all over the place. The band themselves were great. Music-wise, they were spot-on. Seeing a band like this really hit home on how important their backing vocals have always been. If Eddie messed anything up guitar-wise, I certainly didn't notice it. Sobreity was the best thing he could've done for himself and it was great to see what a good time he was having up there. Great to have DLR back, but I was sad to see how much he relied on talking through the lyrics or just gesturing at the rest of the band.
Yes, that's also his move. I also got pretty tired of watching him do 360 spins.
Old 06-13-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Christ, DLR is 57. How many backflips and high jumping kicks do you expect him to do, anyhow?
Old 06-14-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Jack Straw as well. I had seats on the floor, section 104 on the aisle - great spot. I expected DLR to half-ass a lot of the vocals, and he certainly did, but at least he had some shining moments. My gf kept cracking up at his banter and spin kicks.

EVH is who I came to watch, and he smoked it. He and Wolfie really nailed the backing vocals.

Alex's drum solo was pretty lame, though.

Why'd they have to play Tattoo so early on in the set? I wanted my piss break to be later.

Grabbed a bootleg shirt on the way out for $10. All in all, a great night. After paying what I did for tix, I think this is my "one and done" with VH, and I'm ok with that.
Old 06-14-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks KC. I should add that it brings me no joy to rag on Dave like this. When he left VH, I pretty much stayed in his camp. I was more than thrilled when the many repeated reunion rumors were finally proven to be valid. When I saw VH live before the split in '85, I knew that there was somewhat of a drop-off in the vocals between the albums and the live vocals. However, after seeing and hearing what I did, I have to call it like I see/hear it. It was really selling the fans short. When he would sing, he often harmonized the notes instead of singing the in the correct key. It sounded really "off". On the drive home, I listened to the new CD and said to myself "what the hell happened to him after he left the studio?" He really sounded much stronger on ADKoT. He should use this hiatus to regain his singing voice.
Old 06-14-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Dave was the weak link when I saw the Friends and Family show at the Forum in Feb. My buddy went to the Pond and I've watched his videos, he doesn't seem any worse than Feb so this is pretty much what we should expect.

I'm going tonight to SD. Videos to follow.
Old 06-15-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I gotta say, I didn't think DLR sounded that bad last night. Great show, and DLR even commented at end that this was a great show. Folks on the VH boards were saying this was the best of the 4 So Cal shows...The only time he sounded "bad" was on Dance The Night Away...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-k64AHSY7Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dK3l-zwkMzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_KayZOTfkNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2012/35272

VanHalen Leaked as The Halftime Entertainment for Superbowl XLVII in New Orleans.
by Bruce Owens on June 13, 2012

Mike Florio from ProFootBall Talk has broken the news (or started the rumor) that VanHalen will be the halftime entertainment for the next Superbowl. This would be no surprise to anyone seeing that the overly-sanitized NFL needs to head in a safer direction after Madonna’s finger-flipping debacle.

From ProFootBall.com: Thanks to a reader who actually read all of a new article regarding an upcoming Van Halen reunion tour, band founder Eddie Van Halen has dropped what could be a hint that the group will be in New Orleans in early February for something other than the Jambalaya.

“[I]n November, we’ll hit Japan, and in the new year, we’ll possibly do something special, but I can’t talk about it,” Van Halen tells Marco R. della Cava of USA Today.

I’ve yet to come up with all the “special” things a rock group can do that would require extreme discretion (although in some states that list could be longer than in others), but playing at the Super Bowl would be at or near the top.

I had the pleasure to catch VanHalen’s latest tour before it was canceled, and the band is on top of their game. The big shock is how Eddie evolves technically on the guitar. Every year he becomes a better player.

Though some think the more radio-friendly VanHager tunes may be a bit more suited for a family program, VanHalen still has plenty of catalog that will fit the bill. “Running with the Devil” is a must-play for the west coast metal rockers. I would also love to see what they could do with 50 NFL cheerleaders and Mtv favorite “Hot for Teacher”.

Say what you will, but VanHalen could actually be the best halftime show we have had since Janet Jackson freaked out the censors.
Old 06-15-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it would be the first time I'll actively watch a Super Bowl halftime show in years.
Old 06-15-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be a great half time show. I usually turn the channel when that's on.
Old 06-16-12, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
http://www.tmrzoo.com/2012/35272

VanHalen Leaked as The Halftime Entertainment for Superbowl XLVII in New Orleans.
by Bruce Owens on June 13, 2012

Mike Florio from ProFootBall Talk has broken the news (or started the rumor) that VanHalen will be the halftime entertainment for the next Superbowl. This would be no surprise to anyone seeing that the overly-sanitized NFL needs to head in a safer direction after Madonna’s finger-flipping debacle.

From ProFootBall.com: Thanks to a reader who actually read all of a new article regarding an upcoming Van Halen reunion tour, band founder Eddie Van Halen has dropped what could be a hint that the group will be in New Orleans in early February for something other than the Jambalaya.

“[I]n November, we’ll hit Japan, and in the new year, we’ll possibly do something special, but I can’t talk about it,” Van Halen tells Marco R. della Cava of USA Today.

I’ve yet to come up with all the “special” things a rock group can do that would require extreme discretion (although in some states that list could be longer than in others), but playing at the Super Bowl would be at or near the top.

I had the pleasure to catch VanHalen’s latest tour before it was canceled, and the band is on top of their game. The big shock is how Eddie evolves technically on the guitar. Every year he becomes a better player.

Though some think the more radio-friendly VanHager tunes may be a bit more suited for a family program, VanHalen still has plenty of catalog that will fit the bill. “Running with the Devil” is a must-play for the west coast metal rockers. I would also love to see what they could do with 50 NFL cheerleaders and Mtv favorite “Hot for Teacher”.

Say what you will, but VanHalen could actually be the best halftime show we have had since Janet Jackson freaked out the censors.
Isn't the reason they want VH is they don't want another Janet jackson or Madonna to freak out the censors?
Old 06-16-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Isn't the reason they want VH is they don't want another Janet jackson or Madonna to freak out the censors?
I think they want to cater to the straight crowd for once. It DOES make up the majority of the football audience.
Old 06-16-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I gotta say, I didn't think DLR sounded that bad last night. Great show, and DLR even commented at end that this was a great show. Folks on the VH boards were saying this was the best of the 4 So Cal shows...The only time he sounded "bad" was on Dance The Night Away...
Excellent stuff! Are you going to post the full show?
Old 06-16-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

will there even be a Van Halen by the next Superbowl?
Old 06-16-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deadman31
will there even be a Van Halen by the next Superbowl?
I don't see why not. Saw them last Thursday and they were having a blast. All hugs & smiles.
Old 06-17-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Excellent stuff! Are you going to post the full show?
We'll see. Trying to get a another angle or two together. My audio and video is synced up waiting for some more footage...

ATBL with HQ Audio
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v_mSvx6aYq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-17-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's my footage. Use it if you can. My camera crapped out during the show, so I this is all I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDA_zTNj8sE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Aw2z6C9vfM
Old 06-23-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone go to the San Antonio show last night?
Old 06-25-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Caught them last night here in Houston. Kool and the Gang, strange as it may have seemed to me, was actually an inspired opener. They sounded great and put on a really good, if too short, show.

Van Halen? The band sounded great. Roth, having no point of reference (have only seen VH with Hagar), did an ok job. When he wasn't doing his best Vince Neil impression (half singing/shouting random parts of the lyrics) he sounded good enough. Makes me wonder if it's just his shtick, but having never seen VH with him as frontman, I don't know.

The crowd seemed pretty ambivalent to the new music, it's when people seemed to take their beer/bathroom breaks. I agree with KillerCannibal, Alex's "solo" was kind of pointless.

Overall I thought it was an entertaining show despite the average vocal performance from Dave. I'm glad I can say I saw ALMOST the original lineup

Oh...and thank god Dave gave up the headset mic. I don't know if I could have made it through an entire show of jazz hands!
Old 08-05-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We'll see. Trying to get a another angle or two together. My audio and video is synced up waiting for some more footage...
There's a full version shot from the 2nd row on dime right now. Incredible footage!

Yours has much better sound though!

Please hurry!!!
Old 08-05-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
There's a full version shot from the 2nd row on dime right now. Incredible footage!

Yours has much better sound though!

Please hurry!!!
Thanks for the heads up!