Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-16, 03:15 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 12,602
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Yeah. No bonus tracks. Just the albums. But since all I have is an old greatest hits album (like...the oldest one), it is about time I picked up something more substantial and the price is right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 03:23 PM   #102
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

You will not regret it. So many great tracks left off that minimal length hits CD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 08:29 AM   #103
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,194
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Yeah. No bonus tracks. Just the albums. But since all I have is an old greatest hits album (like...the oldest one), it is about time I picked up something more substantial and the price is right.


That's what I have which I bought at Target with a $10 bill I found lying on the floor. No one was around so finders keepers. Around that time some friends and I found an 8-track for Candy-O in an alley. We were not able to play it but we did enjoy looking at the semi-weathered cover.

I heard Touch and Go last night -- a song that has grown on me since getting the Greatest Hits CD -- so maybe that's a sign to get this set?
__________________
"Wishbone is spelled with an E not a 3..... *Be gone*" - Minor Threat
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 08:50 AM   #104
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post


That's what I have which I bought at Target with a $10 bill I found lying on the floor. No one was around so finders keepers. Around that time some friends and I found an 8-track for Candy-O in an alley. We were not able to play it but we did enjoy looking at the semi-weathered cover.

I heard Touch and Go last night -- a song that has grown on me since getting the Greatest Hits CD -- so maybe that's a sign to get this set?
If not the whole set, then at least this more complete 2 disc package. Contains some great B-sides that I guess will be left off the reissue package. That's a shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_W...Cars_Anthology
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:17 AM   #105
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 38,712
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Dang, I was hoping this thread bump was for a new Cars album. Timely update though as I've been on a Cars kick as of late. Actually been listing to Ric and Ben's solo material.

It's too bad the Cars gave away the song "Slipaway" - that was a great tune (better than Ian Lloyd's version).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:22 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Dang, I was hoping this thread bump was for a new Cars album. Timely update though as I've been on a Cars kick as of late. Actually been listing to Ric and Ben's solo material.
Same here. Enjoyed Ben's The Lace just as much as a lot of the material by the band. Not surprising given his Cars songs were always my favorite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:34 AM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,557
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Same here. I was hoping for a follow up to Move Like This.
__________________
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 02:29 PM   #108
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,257
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post


That's what I have which I bought at Target with a $10 bill I found lying on the floor. No one was around so finders keepers. Around that time some friends and I found an 8-track for Candy-O in an alley. We were not able to play it but we did enjoy looking at the semi-weathered cover.

I heard Touch and Go last night -- a song that has grown on me since getting the Greatest Hits CD -- so maybe that's a sign to get this set?
i like hearing stories about people and how they connect to music. a story like this is lost/doesn't exist with mp3s and streaming music.

i myself have a thing for buying used tom waits CDs. i wonder what the previous owner did to discover this cd, and why they decided to give it up. to paraphrase jimmy buffett, what "stories it could tell"
__________________
"Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions." - Axl Rose
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:13 AM   #109
Senior Member
 
flansered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 491
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
No mention of bonus tracks. There are some good ones that could be added to each album.
Is there a lot of unreleased material by them? I know most of their non album b-sides were on the Just What I Needed anthology, and there are 4 demos of unreleased songs on the deluxe edition of the first album, but is there more unreleased material that isn't easily available?

Granted both the Anthology and the Deluxe edition of the first album are both OOP, so getting them out there with the boxset would be good for fans that might not have those sets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 02:22 PM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,557
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

I think that amounts to most of it. As a huge fan, I've got everything they've done, including the HDtracks and the compilations. There might be more in Ric's archives, but who knows if they want to release anymore of it.
__________________
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 01:40 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
flansered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 491
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

I just picked up the remastered set for $25.23 at Barnes and Noble thanks to membership discounts and a $5 off a cd coupon I got from the coupon thread in the deals section of this forum. I've only listened to Candy-O so far, but to my ears it does sound a lot better than the older cd.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 08:30 AM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 6,575
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Same here. Enjoyed Ben's The Lace just as much as a lot of the material by the band. Not surprising given his Cars songs were always my favorite.
I still have that CD and no way will I depart from it. It's actually quite good and should've got more coverage/play. It's straight out Cars material with a good 3-4 solid tracks...Stay The Night, Too Hot To Stop and In Circles which is actually my favorite. If anyone is a real Cars fan it's highly recommended...providing you can find it.
__________________
XBox 360 -BuzzZaw66
PSN -BuzzZaw82

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 08:56 AM   #113
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by flansered View Post
I just picked up the remastered set for $25.23 at Barnes and Noble thanks to membership discounts and a $5 off a cd coupon I got from the coupon thread in the deals section of this forum. I've only listened to Candy-O so far, but to my ears it does sound a lot better than the older cd.
I'm looking forward to reading more reviews of those discs. They could be one of those cases where the remaster actually improves on the sound quality. But these days it's such a risk to jump right in and assume better quality. For every Zeppelin deluxe remaster series there are far more than are brickwalled, distorted, disasters that make you scramble to get your originals back no matter how minimally flawed the sound might have been.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 08:59 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I still have that CD and no way will I depart from it. It's actually quite good and should've got more coverage/play. It's straight out Cars material with a good 3-4 solid tracks...Stay The Night, Too Hot To Stop and In Circles which is actually my favorite. If anyone is a real Cars fan it's highly recommended...providing you can find it.
Wouldn't shock me if every track was originally intended as a Cars song. I've often got that feeling from many debut solo albums. Tends to be the second or third efforts that really start showing a shift from what we have heard when that artist was part of the band.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-18-16 at 10:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 10:21 AM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,557
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I'm looking forward to reading more reviews of those discs. They could be one of those cases where the remaster actually improves on the sound quality. But these days it's such a risk to jump right in and assume better quality. For every Zeppelin deluxe remaster series there are far more than are brickwalled, distorted, disasters that make you scramble to get your originals back no matter how minimally flawed the sound might have been.
The HDTracks improve the sound esp on Panorama (that is a weak CD)...So maybe these are better than the existing CDs
__________________
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 03:52 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,194
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album


The Elektra Years: 1978-1987 [Box] - CD
Artist: The Cars SKU: 4930300 Release Date: 03/11/2016

Best Buy has the box set for $13.99.
__________________
"Wishbone is spelled with an E not a 3..... *Be gone*" - Minor Threat
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 05:37 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,085
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Man, I am on the fence as I already own the S/T, Candy-O, and Heartbeat City, which are the best 3 albums.

Anyone heard how the sound quality is on these?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 09:54 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 30,085
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

The Elektra Years: 1978-1987 [Box] - CD
Artist: The Cars SKU: 4930300 Release Date: 03/11/2016

Best Buy has the box set for $13.99.
Whenever I see the cover of Shake It Up, harkens me back to the picture disc.
__________________
"Pear Pimples for Hairy Fishnuts!"

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 01:07 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 12,602
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Best Buy has the box set for $13.99.
That is an unbeatable price! Makes me mad that I bought it the first week.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 08:34 PM   #120
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,085
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Amazon now has it for $13.99 also. That got me off of the fence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 07:32 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,194
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Man, I am on the fence as I already own the S/T, Candy-O, and Heartbeat City, which are the best 3 albums.

Anyone heard how the sound quality is on these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Amazon now has it for $13.99 also. That got me off of the fence.
I think you'll be happy with the sound quality in addition to the price.

Good Times Roll
Spoiler:

1985 Greatest Hits version


2016 Elektra Years remaster
Let's Go
Spoiler:

1985 Greatest Hits version


2016 Elektra Years remaster
Drive
Spoiler:

1985 Greatest Hits version


2016 Elektra Years remaster
__________________
"Wishbone is spelled with an E not a 3..... *Be gone*" - Minor Threat
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 07:56 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Looks like a level boosted and clipped mess. I've read at least one review that basically stated just that. It's really sad just how often "remastered" versions come out that are far worse than the originals. What's even worse is very often the bonus tracks have the same crappy mastering done to them. often you're better off with your bootlegs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 09:10 PM   #123
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JoeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 1,095
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Well it will be missing the atmospheric touch that Orr brought to many of the Cars best songs.

Always though Ric Ocasek was the only lead singer of the band.
Was watching Live Aid 1985 and seen that Ben Orr did many of the songs.
Really liked his vocals.RIP
__________________
She was obviously attracted to unstable guys... Which was perfect for me.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 08-11-17 at 01:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0