Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

I remember "My Brave Face"; I didn't think much of it at the time, I'll have to give it another listen. As for the album, I've never actually listened to it before (I'm a blank slate until "Flaming Pie") so I'll have to give it the old college try.
Old 06-23-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off the Ground - Paul McCartney

Original Release Date: February 1, 1993

Track Listing:

1. Off the Ground
2. Looking for Changes
3. Hope of Deliverance
4. Mistress and Maid
5. I Owe It All to You
6. Biker Like an Icon
7. Peace in the Neighbourhood
8. Golden Earth Girl
9. The Lovers That Never Were
10. Get Out of My Way
11. Winedark Open Sea
12. C'mon People

Off the Ground is the ninth studio album by Paul McCartney, released in 1993. As his first studio album of the 1990s, it is also the follow-up to the acclaimed Flowers in the Dirt.

When the sessions for the album began in the autumn of 1991, McCartney decided to use his current touring band as session musicians, most of whom had already appeared on Flowers in the Dirt. In addition, "Mistress and Maid" and "The Lovers That Never Were", which emerged from his songwriting collaboration with Elvis Costello, made their appearance on this album. Unlike Flowers in the Dirt, however, Costello would not appear on Off the Ground.

One of the main differences between Flowers in the Dirt and Off the Ground is the leaner, more direct sound. With the musicians sounding less studied than they had on the previous release, Off the Ground has a relaxed, natural feel by comparison. Another change is McCartney's increased interest in social issues, be it the scathing anti-animal cruelty rocker "Looking for Changes" (McCartney and his wife Linda long-time vegetarians by this time) or paeans for a better world ("Hope of Deliverance" and "C'Mon People").

The lead single, "Hope of Deliverance", was released in the last week of December 1992 and the album followed in February 1993. While Off the Ground hit #5 in the UK and reached #17 in the US, where it eventually went gold, it was the first Paul McCartney album to not contain a sizeable US hit single since Wings' Wild Life in 1971. While "Hope of Deliverance" floundered there, it managed to reach #18 in the UK, where "C'Mon People" would become a minor hit as well. The album spent only 6 weeks inside the Top 100 in the UK, eventually reaching #5 there. In Germany, the album was particularly successful and certified platinum with "Hope of Deliverance" reaching #3 on the singles chart and the album spending four weeks at #2.

Some weeks after its release, McCartney launched "The New World Tour", taking in many successful shows across the globe during the summer months. These gigs were documented on the album Paul Is Live, which followed at the end of 1993.

Although generally considered a slightly weaker successor to Flowers in the Dirt and now somewhat overlooked, Off the Ground is prized by many McCartney followers.

The feet on the album cover are actually of McCartney, his wife Linda and his touring band.
Old 07-03-11, 12:39 PM

Wow...huge response to this one.

I've only listened to it once in the last two weeks and I was really unimpressed.
Old 07-04-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alas, never heard this one. I kinda sorta remember "Biker Like An Icon" when Macca played it on SNL, and was singularly unimpressed with it.

That's the extent of my knowledge of this particular album.
Old 07-04-11, 02:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember reading an interview with McCartney circa Flaming Pie and he said Biker Like An Icon was the worst song he ever recorded.
Old 07-05-11, 09:42 AM

Flaming Pie - Paul McCartney

Original Release Date: May 5, 1997

Track Listing:

1. The Song We Were Singing
2. The World Tonight
3. If You Wanna
4. Somedays
5. Young Boy
6. Calico Skies
7. Flaming Pie
8. Heaven On a Sunday
9. Used to Be Bad
10. Souvenir
11. Little Willow
12. Really Love You
13. Beautiful Tonight
14. Great Day

Flaming Pie is an album by Paul McCartney, first released in 1997. His first studio album in over four years, it was mostly recorded following McCartney's involvement in the highly successful The Beatles Anthology project. In Flaming Pie's liner notes McCartney said: "(Anthology) reminded me of The Beatles' standards and the standards that we reached with the songs. So in a way it was a refresher course that set the framework for this album."

Beginning in February 1995, McCartney teamed up with Jeff Lynne, Electric Light Orchestra lead singer and guitarist, an ardent Beatles fan who had previously worked with George Harrison on his 1987 album Cloud Nine, while both were members of The Traveling Wilburys, and who had also co-produced "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" for the Anthology project. With a keen sense to produce something pure and easy — and without indulging in elaborate productions — McCartney sporadically recorded the entire album in a space of two years, working not only with Lynne, but with Steve Miller, George Martin, Ringo Starr and his own son, James McCartney, who plays lead guitar on "Heaven on a Sunday". "Calico Skies" and "Great Day" both hailed from a 1992 session, recorded even before Off the Ground had come out. This album would also be the last Paul McCartney studio album to feature vocals and participation from Linda McCartney, who would succumb to breast cancer in 1998.

The title Flaming Pie (also given to one of the album's songs) is a reference to a humorous story John Lennon told journalists in 1961 on the origin of The Beatles' name when they became newly famous: "I had a vision that a man came unto us on a flaming pie, and he said, 'You are Beatles with an A.' And so we were." (This sentence referring to Royston Ellis, who suggested the name and blew up the chicken pie he was trying to make). The album itself definitively has a Beatles flair to it; "The Song We Were Singing" was written about the Lennon/McCartney writing team.

Upon its May 1997 release, the critical reaction to Flaming Pie was very strong, with McCartney achieving his best reviews since 1982's Tug of War. The commercial reaction was everything McCartney could have hoped for. With fresh credibility even with young fans who had been introduced to him through the Anthology project, and anticipation raised with the excellent reviews, Flaming Pie debuted at number 2 in the UK in May, giving McCartney his best new entry since Flowers in the Dirt eight years before. It was knocked-off the top spot there by the Spice Girls' album Spice.

In the United States, reaction was also very positive. The album debuted at number 2 (the best chart peak for a McCartney album there since Tug of War) with 121,000 copies sold in its first week, also behind the Spice album that sold only 16,500 more copies that week. In both the UK and the U.S. Flaming Pie managed to be the best new entry of the week, and also reach gold in both countries. In many other countries, reception of the album was also strong, and managed to reach at least one number 1 position (in Greece). According to Nielsen SoundScan, the album had sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide up to June 2007.[1]

Singles "Young Boy", "The World Tonight" and "Beautiful Night" became UK hits, all making the top 40 in the sales charts. The only single in the US from the album was "The World Tonight", a top 30 entry on the Billboard mainstream rock listing.

To promote the album, McCartney held an online chat party, and consequently, the event entered the Guinness Book of World Records for the most people in an online chatroom at once. There was no tour.

Some consider Flaming Pie to be one of Paul McCartney's finest solo outings. It did, indeed, receive a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year, although Bob Dylan won the award with his back-to-form album Time Out of Mind.

"Young Boy" and "The World Tonight" appeared in the 1997 Ivan Reitman comedy Father's Day, while "Great Day" appeared in the 2009 film Funny People by Judd Apatow, playing over the opening credits, and was available as a free download on paulmccartney.com for a limited time.
Old 07-05-11, 02:20 PM
Banned by request

I love almost all of this album. The Steve Miller stuff is as bad as, well, anything Steve Miller normally does, and a few of the others don't hold up on repeated listens, but overall this album is the best thing Macca's done since, I don't know, Tug of War probably.

And the timing was just right for it, coming on the heels of the Anthology sets. It did have more of a Beatles-esque quality than most of his solo releases, making it feel more timeless and lasting.
Old 07-05-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had no idea Paul ever worked with Steve Miller. I have no desire to hear what the results were.
Old 07-05-11, 04:47 PM

Listened to this for the first time today, and it is much, much better than Off the Ground. Will have to give it a few more listens to see if I despise the Steve Miller stuff as much as Suprmallet and cungar do.
Old 07-07-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my favorite McCartney album since Band On The Run. It's almost like he woke up from a long fever dream with Flaming Pie. His last good album was TUG OF WAR, which came out 15 years prior. Then came five albums of swill (I'm assuming, anyhow. I only ever listened to three of them, and I could barely finish the third). But this album is just great, if not perfect. Somedays could be one of the best songs McCartney ever wrote.

I came late to this album, about a decade after it was released. I'm glad I finally discovered it though. WELL worth seeking out for McCartney fans.
Old 07-07-11, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ram was the first solo Beatle album I actually bought. It got a lot of rotation on the turntable. Heh Because of that, a lot of the quirkiness really endeared me eventually. While it's wasn't quite the masterpiece that Band on the Run became, it was an album that brings back fond memories of a simpler time in my life. There will always be that connection.

And count me in as another fan of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey". It's a fun, silly song and I loved the time signature changes.
Something about the song "Too Many People" which brings back great memories of the 70's.
Old 07-10-11, 02:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizza
The local station, WMMS, got to do the national debut of "With a Little Luck." It was a big deal at the time.
I picked up the Mull of Kintyre/Girls School single. (And, as usual, without hearing it first.) I thought Girls School was the main side as I didn't like the other song at all. Actually hated it. Then I learned that Mull of Kintyre was a monster hit across the ocean. I couldn't believe it. I played it for my wife recently and she loved the song. I seem to recall McCartney was pretty po'd that the song tanked here. I think he blamed marketing but I just think it was simply not our cup of tea at the time. Bag pipes just aren't ingrained in our culture so much.
I think that's why I hated Hey Jude with bag pipes on American Idol.
First time I heard Mull of Kintyre I thought it was going to be like VENUS AND MARS/ ROCK SHOW song. Since they kinda start like that, but instead it's a boring song.
Old 07-10-11, 03:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Lack of Tug of War love is puzzling, but diff'rent strokes right? Or was it Manimal? Ah I forget. Anyway...
]
I bought this LP the year it came because of the rave reviews from the print press. I hated the album then and was the last time I would listen to Rolling Stone music review. But in this century with ipods i decided to put all Beatles and solo music on my ipod. I began to really like this album.
Back in the 80's I gave this a 2 star out of 5. Now I give it 3 1/2 out of 5.
Old 07-10-11, 01:27 PM
Banned by request

You thought Mull of Kintyre was boring?!
Old 03-21-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey gang! RAM: Deluxe Edition is coming out in May! And it's a beaut:

Courtesy of Beatles Radio:
Paul McCartney‘s 1971 album Ram will be released as a FIVE disc deluxe edition superdeluxeedition.com has learned. It is due for release on 22 May 2012 in the US with the UK release likely to be the day before.

The deluxe edition will continue the tradition of the 128-page linen-bound book and all audio content is newly remastered.

The second bonus CD will contain 8 numbers, including period outtakes, non-album tracks and b-sides, amongst them fan favourite A Love For You (only officially available – probably in a different mix – on The In-Lawssoundtrack from 2003).

A third CD will see the first commercial issue of the mono mix of Ram – previously only a promo-only item at the time of release. Like The Beatles mono albums, this is a unique mix with subtle differences to what can be heard on the standard stereo mix.

The fourth CD will be the Thrillington album. An instrumental/orchestral version of the Ram album recorded in 1971 and produced by McCartney, but not released until 1977 (under the pseudonym of Percy “Thrills” Thrillington). It was reissued on CD in the mid-nineties but again under the same pseudonym. This Ram reissue will mark the first occasion thatThrillington has been officially released under the McCartney name.

A fifth disc is a DVD. The content looks rather slight (as per theMcCartney deluxe edition video content) but will include home movie footage set to various Ram tracks.

This will be the biggest Deluxe Edition yet since the McCartney Archive Collection kicked off in October 2010. McCartney II was the previous best with 4 discs.
They'll probably ring this up at $120+, but I might have to spring for this one. For Ram in mono alone, dayenu.
Old 03-21-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and the bonus tracks are as follows:

CD2 Bonus tracks (remastered):

1. Another Day
2. Oh Woman, Oh Why
3. Little Woman Love
4. A Love For You (Jon Kelly remix)
5. Hey Diddle (Dixon Van Winkle mix)
6. Great Cock And Seagull Race (Dixon Van Winkle mix)
7. Rode All Night
8. Sunshine Sometime (earliest mix)

Great cock!
Old 03-21-12, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Thrillington!!

I'll certainly get Ram remastered, but not sure if I want to spring for the deluxe.
Old 11-26-12, 02:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Deluxe RAM lightning deal right now at $52.
Old 11-27-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...aaaaaand I missed it.
Old 04-09-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This should prove fun...

WINGS OVER AMERICA is getting the Deluxe treatment, AND the FULL version of Rockshow is coming to theaters and DVD/Blu-Ray!

Take Flight Again In 2013… With Wings!

Re-release of Paul McCartney & Wings’ groundbreaking 1976 live album ‘Wings over America’ containing bonus material
(May 27th)

DVD release of the live concert film ‘Rockshow’ documenting the band’s epic 'Wings over the World' tour across America
(June 10th)

Theatrical release of ‘Rockshow’ and an exclusive VIP premiere screening – featuring an introduction by Paul – at BAFTA
(May 15th)

‘Wings over America’

First, the historic live album, which documented the band’s triumphant 1976 tour across North America, will be reissued in a range of formats. Fans and hardcore devotees alike will be especially thrilled with the stunning four-book, four-disc (3CD, 1DVD) Deluxe Edition Box Set. The box set's superior audio and video include the two-disc ‘Wings over America’ album remastered at Abbey Road, a bonus audio disc recorded live at San Francisco’s Cow Palace, a bonus DVD containing the rarely seen 75-minute television special ‘Wings over the World’ and the photo gallery montage entitled ‘Photographer’s Pass’.

Moreover, the Deluxe Edition Box Set contains four exquisitely rendered art books packaged with an incredible array of exclusive memorabilia, souvenirs, mementos, keepsakes and never-before-seen photos and art work from this historic tour.

The spectacular 110-page commemorative tour book beautifully recounts the behind-the-scenes drama through dozens of live performances and backstage photos along with new interviews and liner notes from eminent music journalist David Fricke.

The ‘Wings over America’ leatherette-bound ‘Tour Itinerary’ contains extravagant memorabilia including printed 8X10 glossy band photos, a backstage guest pass, facsimiles of the invitation to the infamous end-of-tour party at the Harold Lloyd Estate in Beverly Hills along with ‘Wings over America’ concert tickets, original album artwork, tour posters, set lists, lyrics, press materials and much more.

‘Look!’, the box set’s warm and intimate book of Linda McCartney photography features Paul and the band in their everyday life as they made their way across the country in the spring of ’76.

Lastly, the set contains ‘The Ocean View’ an extraordinary hardbound compendium of drawings and sketches by artist Humphrey Ocean that captures the band on tour in relaxed and revealing ways. A striking artistic achievement in and of itself, the audacious ‘Wings over America’ Deluxe Edition Box Set is a must have for any McCartney enthusiast.
I'm EXTREMELY excited for Rockshow. I saw it on VHS WAAAAAAAAAAY back when around 1982, as a video rental. It's been OOP for ages (although the Internet being the Internet, not entirely unavailable either). It's a great show.

As far as the re-release, that Deluxe Edition will set you back about 100 beans, which is ridiculous. All the tour book/photograph tchotchkes are pointless to me. I am more interested in the music: the proper album itself, the audio, and the bonus DVD would be just fine on their own. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they are only releasing the remastered Wings Over America as a 2-CD set, with no bonus material of any kind.

Rockshow will be a separate DVD/Blu-Ray release.
Old 04-09-13, 01:22 PM
Banned by request

I've got it on vinyl, that's good enough for me.
Old 05-24-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I interrupt this mostly dead and buried thread to inform everyone that McCartney played Temporary Secretary, for the first time live, ANYWHERE, last night in London:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/93qKDDE43lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm... I'm flabbergasted. This song is such an abortion but I'd so prefer to hear it than Hey Jude or Helter Skelter for the umpteen-thousandth time...