Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Album by Album Thread featuring: PAUL MCCARTNEY/WINGS! Eee!

Originally Posted by biglou114
The same could be said about all four Beatles solo careers. Just imagine the albums we'd have if they didn't break up until '75.
True but Paul's output was so much more prodigious in terms of quantity; it makes his filler quotient appear more top-heavy. You could take the best of "London Town" and "Back To The Egg" and have one pretty strong album. Actually, I think I'm going to try sequencing that and see how it turns out...
Old 10-14-10, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really enjoyed "Old Siam, Sir" and thought that "Arrow Through Me" was a fun number. But I'm a bigger fan of "Goodnight Tonight."
Old 10-14-10, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Didn't care for this one, other than the throwaway track: Rockestra Theme.
That's my favorite song on this album.

Originally Posted by gmanca
I really enjoyed "Old Siam, Sir" and thought that "Arrow Through Me" was a fun number. But I'm a bigger fan of "Goodnight Tonight."
Love those two also. Especially "Arrow Through Me." I didn't like it at first then heard it used in a Chevy Chase movie (Oh, Heavenly Dog) and fell in love with it.
Old 10-14-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A McCartney Continuum, if you will. Won't you?

Band On The Run

Venus And Mars
Ram
Wings Over America

Back To The Egg

McCartney
London Town
Wild Life

Red Rose Speedway

Wings at the Speed Of Sound
Old 10-14-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamn McCartney II!!!

I wish that could be the extent of my review... which is coming tomorrow...
Old 10-15-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McCartney II - Paul McCartney

Original Release Date: May 16, 1980

Track listing:

1. "Coming Up"
2. "Temporary Secretary"
3. "On the Way"
4. "Waterfalls"
5. "Nobody Knows"
6. "Front Parlour"
7. "Summer's Day Song"
8. "Frozen Jap"
9. "Bogey Music"
10. "Darkroom"
11. "One of These Days"

Bonus tracks on 1993 reissue
12. "Check My Machine"
13. "Secret Friend"
14. "Goodnight Tonight"

There's a few ways you can approach McCartney II. Was it the sequel to his first solo LP MCCARTNEY, released 10 years prior? Without question. It's Paul truly solo, no Wings, just a smidge of Linda here and there, playing all instruments and noodling around at home in the summer of 1979. Was it Paul's experimental, avant-garde album? You could look at it that way. Tons of electronic music, odd sounds, varying speeds, and synths. Lots and lots of synths: Roland Jupiter 4, Mellotron, Yamaha CS80, Arp Pro-Soloist and the Mini Moog. Was it Paul's response to his massive commercial appeal of the 70s; to release a highly personal, eclectic, self-indulgent collection of outtakes and see where they went? Ehhh... who knows? Maybe?

Here's the real truth: Wings was still a viable entity in '79. BACK TO THE EGG wasn't a massive hit but it was still a Platinum seller and acquitted itself reasonably well for an album without top singles. They DID release a top single in the non-album track "Goodnight Tonight", a flamenco-tinged disco single that hit the US Top 5 and sold very well. In late '79 Wings toured Britain to great response. Then in January 1980, Wings headed to Japan for a series of sold out concerts. At the airport, authorities discovered several ounces of weed in Paul's luggage and he got thrown in the clink for nine days. Booted out of the country, Paul was forced to refund the roughly 100 thousand ticket holders, but made out like a bandit anyhow. Wings record sales in Japan reportedly QUINTIPLED as a result.

Paul went back to his farm in Scotland, pondered his next move, and decided to go ahead and release the roughly 20 songs he recorded the previous summer. Wings as a band was temporarily suspended (although by the next year the band as an entity was kaput, and would have no further new releases of any kind). MCCARTNEY II was originally planned out as a double album. The so-called "Lost McCartney II" double album was heavily bootlegged and provides further insight into the songs cut from the eventual single album release. Regardless, Paul judiciously decided to pare it down to a single LP, and in May of 1980 MCCARTNEY II was released to some of the worst reviews Paul had ever received. Commercially the album only went Gold in the US and the UK, the lowest selling McCartney/Wings album I believe since "Red Rose Speedway" some seven years previous.

However, the album did have a #1 smash single in the US. Sort of. And a #2 smash single in the UK. Which didn't chart in the US. Sort of.

I am of course referring to "Coming Up", the first track on the album and the first single released. During the late 1979 British tour, Wings recorded a live version of the song, which was considerably more uptempo, energized, and electric than the studio cut. The live version was the B-side to the studio single (along with "Lunchbox/Odd Sox"), but it was the live version that became a huge #1 hit for McCartney in the US (although recorded by Wings, it was still credited as a McCartney single). The studio version hit #2 in the UK and was also released as a dance track in the US, but to a rather tepid response.

I like both versions, although the live track is infinitely superior. It ranks as one of McCartney's best singles, period, a great piece of live pop/rock flavored with a smidge of funk. The studio track is cozier, sillier, almost more purposefully goofy, but it works as well. The McCartney album only included the studio track, although later pressings included the live track as a separate 7-inch vinyl single.

It bears mentioning that the CD reissue does NOT have the live track. Not even as a bonus. What gives??

Moving on, we get to "Temporary Secretary". This song is absolutely, positively, maddeningly infuriating. The sequenced synth line that repeats throughout the song will probably give you a seizure. Paul's straining, almost affected vocalizations over the annoying chorus will make you want to kick a pigeon. His Texas drawl on the spoken word sequence could drive Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and Thoreau to acts of senseless violence. Just one mind-boggingly disturbing track from start to finish. And for some reason, I like it. It's a TERRIBLE song -- if you can call it a "song" -- but it connects with me on a disturbing level. I think it's because the first time I ever heard it was probably about 30 years ago on the "Dr. Demento" show, an entity along with "Mad Magazine" that shaped my early childhood dysfunction. I had no idea it was a McCartney tune. Years later when I found out... by then a HUGE Beatles/McCartney fan... I buried it somewhere deep and never addressed it again.

So yeah. Awful, painfully embarassing song. But it resonates with me for some reason.

Not much else to really recommend on this album. "On The Way" is a sorta throwaway blues track that feels like something someone forgot. The only thing "Waterfalls" proves is that whoever was behind TLC thought nobody would notice them cribbing a line or two for their similarly-named single. The lyrics are banal, the music stilted and unmemorable. Not horrendous, but not memorable in any way unless you like songs that reference polar bears. "Nobody Knows" goes uptempo with a kind of country-ish flair. It's nice to hear Paul having fun, but he's the only one. This probably could have been a decent track with a lot more polish. His drumming here is terrible.

"Front Parlour" is a synth driven instrumental that won't make you forget Bowie's Side 2 Berlin period anytime soon. OK, I guess. Nicely forgettable is about the best way I can describe it. "Summer's Day Song" has a kind of mellontronish 'Strawberry Fields' vibe, which only serves to remind you how impeccably untouchable the latter song is. This isn't a great song, but it has a sort of hypnotic appeal to it that I definitely appreciate. It's stark, almost chilling and a bit etheric, maybe the best song on the album after "Coming Up". "Frozen Jap"... another chilly synth instrumental, this one with an Asian-inspired melody. Any insinuations that this was a response to his drug bust are unfounded; it was originally recorded a good 6 months or so before that event. It's a bit repetitive but bouncy and catchy.

"Bogey Music" is obnoxiously bad. Techno-Elvis with as much echo as can be dialed in. Horrible. "Darkroom" is almost as bad, an bizarre oddity which attempts to make a techno-funk monstrosity out of an ode to photography. Or something. I *really* don't want to know what's in the Darkroom.

The album closes with "One Of These Days", a tender acoustic ballad which washes out a lot of the bad taste that "Bogey" and "Darkroom" left in my mouth. This is a good song, something that probably would have felt right at home on the originally "McCartney" album. Very melodic, great vocals, nice harmonies, if NOTHING else it reminds you that maybe Paul hadn't completely lost his mind.

Overall, McCartney II isn't anywhere near as unrelentingly horrible as I remembered it, but it's certainly not a GOOD album; I can recommend "Coming Up" as a pretty swell number, "One Of These Days" is a sweet little ballad (the type that Paul does so well), and "Summer's Day Song" and "Frozen Jap" are sorta worth checking out as examples of Paul spreading his wings a bit, musically speaking. But the rest of it? Ugh. I spent an entire paragraph on the abortion that is "Temporary Secretary". I like it in the way that I like the Bee Gees/Frampton "Sgt. Pepper" movie. It's unreservedly awful, but I can't turn away. A ton of mediocre filler with "Waterfalls", "On The Way", "Nobody Knows", and "Front Parlour", and some absolute shit with "Bogey Music" and "Darkroom". Overall, I'd rate McCartney II just a smidge higher than "Wings at the Speed of Sound", but it's easily his least impressive work since that album, and a lowpoint in his solo career. I give him all the credit in the world for experimenting and trying something different, and yes these are little more than home studio doodles, but you might find something more interesting growing out of your neck.

Well then, how about the bonus tracks? Well the lack of the live "Coming Up" is a total travesty. So what do we got? "Check Your Machine"... if this song was an album track on McCartney II proper, it would have officially made the album worse than "Wings at the Speed of Sound". The song is literally Paul checking his recording setup out and noodling with it. The Barney Rubble cameo does not elevate this turdnugget in any meangingful capacity. "Secret Friend" is more experimental instrumental noodling (albeit with some "vocal effects" from Paul). I'm not really a fan of this kind of stuff, but this is sort of an interesting track in and of itself. I like the jazzy sax especially. They probably should have dropped "Bogey Music" and "Darkroom" and included "Secret Friend" in its place.

Finally... Goodnight Tonight. Great single. Unabashedly a piece of disco, it's a good one, with some flamenco guitars and impressive bass playing from Sir Paul. Odd that it's included here though, as it was recorded during the "Back To The Egg" sessions. It makes the purchase of the reissue a little easier to swallow, but you're better off grabbing both this and the live "Coming Up" track on the "Wingspan" retrospective, if you're not a completist. OK I'm done.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 10-15-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Epic Fail

McCartney was trying to go "New Wave" by recording some techno-novelty type songs that were popular at the time (see: Devo, The Normal, or the B-52s for the real thing). He did make a clever video for Coming Up though.

By now I was only buying his albums out of habit, but this time I realized it was time to stop. I wouldn't buy another McCartney solo release for about 10 years, and even then it took some help from Elvis Costello to get my attention.

With that in mind, I will now be exiting this thread, but I'll be back if the thread still going when he puts on a "Brave Face".
Old 10-15-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I LOVE the "Coming Up" video. I think I saw this on Saturday Night Live as a kid.

Oops, look like I can't embed. Check it out over here. Great stuff!
Old 10-15-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I am of course referring to "Coming Up", the first track on the album and the first single released. During the late 1979 British tour, Wings recorded a live version of the song, which was considerably more uptempo, energized, and electric than the studio cut. The live version was the B-side to the studio single (along with "Lunchbox/Odd Sox"), but it was the live version that became a huge #1 hit for McCartney in the US (although recorded by Wings, it was still credited as a McCartney single). The studio version hit #2 in the UK and was also released as a dance track in the US, but to a rather tepid response.

I like both versions, although the live track is infinitely superior. It ranks as one of McCartney's best singles, period, a great piece of live pop/rock flavored with a smidge of funk. The studio track is cozier, sillier, almost more purposefully goofy, but it works as well. The McCartney album only included the studio track, although later pressings included the live track as a separate 7-inch vinyl single.

It bears mentioning that the CD reissue does NOT have the live track. Not even as a bonus. What gives??
I wondered why McCartney's All the Best! disc had the live version of "Coming Up" and not the studio version. Guess this 'splains it!
Old 10-15-10, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd never actually heard "Coming Up." I found the studio version and hated it. Found the live version and loved it! It's like night and day.
Old 10-15-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd never actually heard "Coming Up." I found the studio version and hated it. Found the live version and loved it! It's like night and day.
Without question, it's an absolutely better version live (although I do love the studio version too. It's kinda quirky charming, whereas the live version just COOKS!)

Just listen to Paul's bass work here. Awesome.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sV-3aGnF714?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sV-3aGnF714?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-16-10, 12:27 AM

I like this album. I love Temporary Secretary. It's one of my favorites by Paul. I think Waterfall was a single too. It's a pretty mellow tune and I didn't care for it at first but it eventually hooked me. I didn't realize there were two versions of Coming Up. And, yes, I like the album art.
Old 10-16-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Underrated, this one. I guess I'm alone in preferring the studio version of "Coming Up," but either version is aces. And yeah, "Temporary Secretary" is awesome...that careening synth loop, McCartney's monotone delivery, his bizarre chorus, all very annoying on their own, but put together, it somehow works like a charm (same goes for "Check My Machine"). "On the Way" is a surprisingly gritty, swamp-like blues effort, with another tradermark killer bassline, "Waterfalls" is another Pleasant McCartney Ballad, and awful title aside, "Frozen Jap" is a pleasant, fun instrumental. The real gem is "Summer Day's Song": it's soothing and haunting at the same time, and strongly reminds me of Brian Eno's Before and After Science, which had a similar "English countryside meets futuristic synthesizers" atmosphere. The updated rockabilly "Bogey Music," the loose but infectious rocker "Nobody Knows" and the sparse "One of These Days" are further highlights.

As you can tell by Hokeyboy's review and my reivew, this album tends to divide people. Some will hate it, some will really like it, so if you haven't listened to the album, you should really give it a chance. After all, it would be the most interesting album he recorded for the next...19 years or so?

PS: Sir Paul, when you get around to reissuing this album, please put on there the tracks you left off when McCartney II was originally a double album. Not that any of them are lost classics, but there are some rough diamonds to be found.
Old 10-16-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I LOVE the "Coming Up" video. I think I saw this on Saturday Night Live as a kid.

Oops, look like I can't embed. Check it out over here. Great stuff!
I've never seen that video. It's awesome that he was spoofing Ron Mael of Sparks as the keyboard player.

Old 10-16-10, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
After all, it would be the most interesting album he recorded for the next...19 years or so?
Tug of War says hi.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I've never seen that video. It's awesome that he was spoofing Ron Mael of Sparks as the keyboard player.

Man, Sparks, now there is a band. Let's forget this McCartney hack and do an album-by-album of Sparks instead!

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-16-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tug of War says hi.
Seriously? That album is so tastefully bland, it almost hurts.
Old 10-16-10, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

It's also possibly the best set of solo songs McCartney ever put onto a single album that wasn't a greatest hits.
Old 10-16-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's also possibly the best set of solo songs McCartney ever put onto a single album that wasn't a greatest hits.
What a bizarre world you live in where McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run, London Town, Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full among others don't exist.

And I know I listed some Wings albums. Wings was a solo act, people; it's silly to think otherwise. Jimmy McCulloch and Denny Laine probably weren't even allowed to sneeze in the studio with McCartney's say-so.
Old 10-16-10, 08:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Really enjoy both versions of Coming Up; they are definitely different in style but it's really dependent on what mood I'm in. the more subdued quirky version has great fiddling in the synth realm where the live version is lively rock n roll.
Old 10-17-10, 02:05 AM
Banned by request

What a bizarre world you live in where McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run, London Town, Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full among others don't exist.

And I know I listed some Wings albums. Wings was a solo act, people; it's silly to think otherwise. Jimmy McCulloch and Denny Laine probably weren't even allowed to sneeze in the studio with McCartney's say-so.
That soapbox must have been expensive, because you're milking it for every penny.
Old 10-17-10, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please refrain from mocking my soapbox. It's one of the few things I own outright.
Old 10-17-10, 11:39 AM

PS: Sir Paul, when you get around to reissuing this album, please put on there the tracks you left off when McCartney II was originally a double album. Not that any of them are lost classics, but there are some rough diamonds to be found.
That would be awesome. I would love to hear the orignal double take of McCartney II.

the most interesting album he recorded for the next...19 years or so?
He certainly did play it safe after this album, including getting George Martin back as a producer. Since it's already been mentioned, I liked Tug of War at the time but was also a little disappointed by it's mellow tone. Ebony and Ivory is one of my least favorite tunes by big Mc.
Old 10-17-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A McCartney Continuum, if you will. Won't you?

Band On The Run

Venus And Mars
Ram
Wings Over America

Back To The Egg

McCartney
London Town
Wild Life

Red Rose Speedway

McCartney II

Wings at the Speed Of Sound
Old 10-17-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
That would be awesome. I would love to hear the orignal double take of McCartney II
You can right now:

Outtakes
Spoiler:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K9K0pE47f1M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K9K0pE47f1M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid_3XJ91S0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid_3XJ91S0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLF10L10hH8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLF10L10hH8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/caGypDVZGrU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/caGypDVZGrU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Original Mixes
Spoiler:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yy_DeWlxnZY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yy_DeWlxnZY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QPXLuqeKgRk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QPXLuqeKgRk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvqEuOvrP78?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvqEuOvrP78?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpO1H1sFAcM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpO1H1sFAcM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8XwXeDeFJA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8XwXeDeFJA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_BFpb7P4D-Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_BFpb7P4D-Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Red Rose Speedway was a double album originally as well...seriously, he has literally dozens of CDs worth of outtakes, alternate/extended mixes and rarities, plus there's Rockshow, the complete Kampuchea shows (with all the acts, not just Macca), Thrillington, his Oobu Joobu radio show; granted, you can find all of this stuff online through various means, but it'd be nice to have in cleaned up, official versions.

In other words, stop being so damn stingy, Sir Paul.
Old 10-17-10, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

But given the haphazard nature of the officially released material, do we really want all that unreleased stuff? I'd much rather Prince open his vaults some more than Macca.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.