Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about an old 45 I dug up

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-07-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I decided to go through a box of my mom's old 45s she collected ever since she was a kid back in the 40s. They're not exactly in the best shape or anything. She wasn't the type of collector that ever worried about the value; she just liked music. Most of them are pretty scuffed, a little dirty/dusty, owner's name written on most of the labels...etc, etc.

I found one particular one interesting, though. It's Tommy James & The Shondells' "Crimson and Clover", but it appears to be a DJ copy, or something like that, and the reverse side is blank, with a blank label. Here's the pic (spoilerized for size):

Spoiler:

According to what I found online, Tommy James took an unmixed cut of the song to WLS in Chicago, and they secretly recorded it while he played it for them. He had barely gotten into his car after leaving the station, and he heard the song playing, even after he told them they couldn't play it yet. Based on how well the song did, Roulette Records was basically forced to release the version that had been playing. This appears to be one of the original records they cut at the station. OR, do you think this was actually made by Roulette and THEN sent to stations for the official release?

Also, do you think it has any kind of value over a regular 45 of the recording?
Old 06-07-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about an old 45 I dug up

I'd say so, there are collectors for this kind of stuff (e.g. dj copies, white label promos, etc.). Maybe a forum I frequent could help you out, many members there are very knowledgable about this sort of thing. Here's the link: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ Good luck!
Old 06-07-10, 05:50 PM

Looks like Tommy James has a website, with a (somewhat) active forum, I'd post there and see if they have any thoughts.

http://tommyjamesmessageboard24205.y...orum/view/id/1

or it looks like you could try emailing Tommy(ha) through his website.

http://www.tommyjames.com/Store.php

LOL, check out the "Factoids" on the site

7. Tommy James, in 1968, was among the first artists to feature the newly developed Moog Synthesizer with the production of his classic LP "CELLOPHANE SYMPHONY". The instrument was owned by Hall of Famer Whitey Ford of The New York Yankees.

9. Vice President Hubert Humphrey asked Tommy to head his "Youth Affairs" commission while performing on his 1968 Presidential campaign. Mr. Humphrey also wrote the liner notes for Tommy's "CRIMSON AND CLOVER" album. They remained good friends until his death in 1978.

11. The title of "Mony Mony" was created from the MONY (Mutual Of New York) Insurance Company building whose logo could be seen from Tommy's Manhattan apartment.
Old 06-07-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

could it be something that was given away by the radio station for promotion? All I found was this searching "Tommy James 19510":

Very Rare Special 1968 Press By Radio Station Wls Of Chicago.

I would think it would have a lot more value than the common 45 of it.
Old 06-13-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the back is completely blank?
Is the "A-side" the short or the long version of the song?
Old 06-14-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, back is completely blank.

I'm not completely familiar with different versions of the song, plus my turntable doesn't work right now, so I can't answer your second question.
Old 06-16-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might have something valuable here. Check it out!

Saw Tommy in concert a number of years ago. Figured he would be just another oldies act (he was one of four acts on the bill at this show), but was utterly shocked by how good he sounded after all these years. He came out and autographed CDs, vinyl, anything people had brought with them after the show.