Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Old 05-18-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

What's that painting above his grave of?
Old 01-29-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Thread bump time!

Audio Fidelity is preparing a 24k gold CD remaster of Holy Diver.

http://www.audiofidelity.net/content/dioholy-diver

All I can say to this is "shut up and take my money!"
Old 01-29-12, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, feb.14 that day my house might shift a little.
Old 02-06-14, 10:50 AM

Ronnie James Dio is one of the most beloved figures in rock history. His gifts, both as a singer and songwriter, are instantly recognizable, whether he was with RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL, or leading DIO. Sadly, Dio lost his battle with stomach cancer in 2010 but his towering voice and legacy live on.

To celebrate one of rock's most powerful voices, an all-star group of his friends and fans recorded 13 of their favorite tracks for a tribute album that will raise funds for the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. Produced by his longtime manager and wife Wendy Dio, the album includes contributions by such metal heavyweights as METALLICA, MOTÖRHEAD, SCORPIONS, ANTHRAX, and Rob Halford, as well as appearances by many of the musicians who performed with Dio over the years.

"This Is Your Life" will be available from Rhino on April 1. A digital version will also be available.

Although the songs featured on the album touch on the different eras of Dio's career, several spotlight his time with RAINBOW, including METALLICA's epic, nine-minute "Ronnie Rising Medley", which combines the RAINBOW songs "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer" and "Kill The King". SCORPIONS add a scorching take on "Temple Of The King" while MOTÖRHEAD is joined by Biff Byford from SAXON on "Starstruck". Rob Halford teams with frequent Dio collaborators Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, and Scott Warren for "Man On The Silver Mountain". The final lineup of Dio's solo band — Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo and Scott Warren — are joined by Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) for "Catch The Rainbow", a track from RAINBOW's 1975 debut.

ANTHRAX and ADRENALINE MOB honor Dio's memorable stint with BLACK SABBATH with their takes on "Neon Knights" and "The Mob Rules", respectively, as does a group, led by Oni Logan on vocals along with Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, and Brian Tichy, which performs "I" from "Dehumanizer".

"This Is Your Life" also includes songs from Dio's back-to-back platinum albums "Holy Diver" (1983) and "The Last In Line" (1984), with DORO's take on "Egypt (The Chains Are On)", HALESTORM tackling "Straight Through The Heart", Corey Taylor (STONE SOUR, SLIPKNOT) covering the classic "Rainbow In The Dark" and TENACIOUS D (Jack Black and Kyle Glass) putting their signature spin on "The Last In Line". KILLSWITCH ENGAGE's cover of "Holy Diver", a hit in its own right when released in 2006, is also included here.

Fittingly, Ronnie James Dio provides the finale (and the album's title) with his moving performance of "This Is Your Life". Originally released on "Angry Machines" (1996), the song's lyrics explore mortality and are backed by a stark and beautiful arrangement that features Dio accompanied only by his longtime keyboardist Scott Warren on piano. The song serves as a poignant reminder that we will never hear a voice like Dio's again.

"I'm letting them pick what songs they wanna do in the way they wanna do it," Wendy told Artisan News in 2011.

"We reached out to Wendy Dio about wanting to be a part of the Dio tribute that's getting put together," METALLICA singer James Hetfield told U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine. "We're very honored to be a part of that, and to be a part of a celebration of Ronnie's life and his great contribution, man."

In an interview with Guitar International, former ANTHRAX guitarist Rob Caggiano stated that the band's cover version of "Neon Knights" "came out pretty smoking."

The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund, co-founded by Wendy Dio, is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable fund dedicated to supporting cancer-prevention research, raising awareness and educating the public about the vital importance of early detection and prevention when dealing with this deadly disease.

"This Is Your Life" track listing:

01. "Neon Knights" - ANTHRAX *
02. "The Last In Line" - TENACIOUS D *
03. "The Mob Rules" - ADRENALINE MOB
04. "Rainbow In The Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher *
05. "Straight Through The Heart" - HALESTORM *
06. "Starstruck" - MOTÖRHEAD with Biff Byford *
07. "Temple Of The King" - SCORPIONS *
08. "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" - DORO
09. "Holy Diver" - KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
10. "Catch The Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren *
11. "I" - Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy *
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren *
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (featuring "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer", "Kill The King") - METALLICA *
14. "This Is Your Life" - DIO

* Previously unreleased
Old 02-06-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds amazing
Old 02-06-14, 11:39 AM

Yea, just the metallica medley alone has me sold.
Old 02-06-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely looking forward to this. Dio is dearly missed.
Old 02-06-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts

Not bad, but kind of a letdown that they didn't include a reading of SkullOrchard's poem.
Old 02-06-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

It's an iTunes exclusive.
Old 02-06-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm always bias when it comes to Dio covers. I just had a great respect for the mans voice.
I'll give it a go though because sometimes it just works out.

I would have liked to see Ronnie's Aerosmith cover of Dream On with Yngwie Malmsteen on there.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tZamjrXCDvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-06-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
Not bad, but kind of a letdown that they didn't include a reading of SkullOrchard's poem.
Old 02-06-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 02-06-14, 05:01 PM

It took 3.5 years for this to finally come out, and four of the songs are old?

Oh well, rest should be good.
Old 02-06-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Definitely looking forward to this. Dio is dearly missed.
I appreciate the effort, but I'd rather hear Dio doing his own songs...
Old 02-06-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by covenant
... but I'd rather hear Dio doing his own songs...
Well we cant really expect that to happen now, can we
Old 02-06-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

This sounds like a great album. I can't wait.

I still miss Ronnie.
Old 05-28-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dio Live In London - Hammersmith Apollo 1993

Dio's Live In London - Hammersmith Apollo 1993 - is a previously unreleased concert that captures the then newly formed reformed Dio on the last night of their heralded European tour. The lineup features Ronnie James Dio on vocals, Vinny Appice on drums, Jeff Pilson on bass, and Tracy G on guitar.

Live In London: Hammersmith Apollo 1993 tracklisting:
Filmed at London's Hammersmith Apollo on 12th December 1993 this previously unreleased concert film captures the then newly reformed Dio on the last night of their European tour in support of the "Strange Highways" album. DVD: http://smarturl.it/DioHammer1993DVD BluRay: http://smarturl.it/DioHammer1993Blu 2CD and digital versions coming soon.

"Stand Up And Shout"
"Strange Highways"
"Don't Talk To Strangers"
"Evilution"
"Pain" (with guitar solo)
"The Mob Rules"
"Children Of The Sea"
"Holy Diver"
"Heaven And Hell"
"Man On The Silver Mountain"
Drum Solo
"Heaven And Hell" (reprise)
"Jesus Mary & The Holy Ghost"
"Hollywood Black"
"The Last In Line"
"Rainbow In The Dark"
"We Rock"
"Here's To You"

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nZDbmA6MBLs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BEFcFGJBQzA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dsmxXjmK-qo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by VHS?; 05-29-14 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

The guitar work in those clips is painful.
Old 05-29-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracy G put his own technique on Dio/Sabbath songs more so than any other Dio band mate, that's for sure.
I wasn't the biggest fan to tell you the truth. It's just hard passing up on being able to see Dio on video over the years.
Old 05-16-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5 year anniversary
Old 05-16-15, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe it's been five years since I wrote that super awesome tribute poem.
Old 05-16-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

6 years ago today, we lost the great Ronnie James Dio to gastric cancer. You are in our thoughts everyday and your music lives on forever! RIP Ronnie!
Please join us this weekend on May 22 in LA as we celebrate the life of Ronnie at the RIDE FOR RONNIE 2nd Annual Motorcycle Ride & Concert. Money raised goes to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund to help find a cure!
To donate, or learn more about the event, visit: DioCancerFund.org/events
Man. Not a day goes by I think of how much it sucked to lose Ronnie. I saw so many shows as Dio and Sabbath and they all rocked. From arenas to small venues, he always gave 110%
Old 05-16-16, 08:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Man. Not a day goes by I think of how much it sucked to lose Ronnie.
That's harsh. I think about him at least once in awhile.
Old 05-16-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's because I have him on playlist so I hear his voice one way or another be it Rainbow, Sabbath, DIO, even 'Ronnie & The Red Caps' is in rotation!
Old 05-16-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Man. Not a day goes by I think of how much it sucked to lose Ronnie.
Me, too.

I don't think I'll ever get over his death. As his doctor said at the public memorial (which I attended), he might still be alive today if he had gotten checked out as soon as the symptoms showed up. He still had the ability to put out good albums and sing well live. He had more to give, musically.

Ronnie was, and always will be, my favorite singer. He was a class act that never felt the need to play, "Rock star," in interviews. He was always thoughtful and intelligent and was a great spokesman for the Heavy Metal genre in general.

I listen to Ronnie almost daily, and hearing those songs makes me both happy and sad at the same time. I still really miss Ronnie, and I always will.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.