Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Originally Posted by boc4ever
I think people are being a bit overly critical at this point. If you bought your ticket because you wanted to see Roger Waters performing the Wall, then you should know what to expect. Gilmour and Mason are out and Wright isn't going to be participating in any group anytime soon. Waters is touring with session musicians, pretty good ones at that, and it is what it is. This isn't 1980, 1990 or even 2000. It is 2010. I am not sure what people are expecting, but Roger Waters isn't a spring chicken anymore. I am going to go into it appreciating that I get to see the Wall live, in its entirety with the person who created it.
same here!
Old 09-29-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I don't know how you could be suprised by political dogma in a performance of The Wall. A large portion of the story deals with the loss of war and it's affect on the home front.
Yes I know. War sucks. Water's lyrics speak for themselves without the sloganeering.
Old 09-29-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

corporal clegg is the only Waters song about war I think I can stand
Old 09-29-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Yes I know. War sucks. Water's lyrics speak for themselves without the sloganeering.
On the bright side Bring the Boys Back Home is about as preachy as the album gets so if this is as preachy as the live show gets people can have their bathroom/refreshment break planned out for it. I might, more because it's a boring piece of music than the visuals though.
Old 09-29-10, 03:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
well it was mentioned in a post before that too- Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I've always wished Roger Waters would iron out his differences with Gilmour, Wright, & Mason, get back together as Pink Floyd but I guess that's never going to happen. -kd5-

just found it weird
Originally Posted by pinata242
Well, that guy may be out of the loop. Maybe you should have quoted him instead

Sorry, but I have indeed been out of the loop, as you say. I don't listen to radio crap anymore since 99.9% of what they're airing these days should never have been recorded in the first place, and I don't regularly read up on the comings and goings of musicians, whoever they may be, even though Pink Floyd is my all-time favorite band. I'm just not a groupy anymore, haven't been for some time (50-ish years old) and I apologize if I didn't know Wright was gone. -kd5-
Old 09-29-10, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by statcat
corporal clegg is the only Waters song about war I think I can stand
I always liked The Fletcher Memorial Home and When The Tigers Broke Free. Speaking of Tigers, I assume this wasn't played since Roger is playing the album and not the movie?

I got tickets to the Las Vegas show, I can't wait!
Old 09-29-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to clarify, I was being sarcastic about Wright. However, I was really bummed when he passed because I still thought there was a shot of seeing the original lineup perform live. A buddy of mine and I agreed that we would have paid up to $200 face value per ticket to see that show. The surcharges would have probably made that about a $230 ticket, and worth every penny.
Old 09-29-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell, that's what I'm paying for Waters and it'll be worth every penny. I bought the Live 8 dvd set for that reunion performance alone. I can't even tell you the amount I would have paid for an actual reunion tour.
Old 10-02-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone go yet? Does it start @ 8 sharp? I am going to MSG on Tuesday
Old 10-03-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheGuy
I can't speak for the current tour, but when I went to see him in 2007, he was pretty much on time. However, when I saw him in 1999, he was incredibly punctual, I was 20 minutes late, and my friend is still not letting me hear the end of it ten years later. So my recommendation is... don't be late!
Old 10-04-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
Saw the show last night in Boston. Show starts exactly at 8:15pm. But there is an audio collage that starts at about 8:05pm that's kind of amusing, while you're waiting for the lights to go out. Show was over about 10:45pm.

I have to say, the show was just phenomenal! I've seen thousands of bands at this point, and this show has to rank right up there in the Top 10 of all time for me. It's almost cinematic in scope, and the visuals are stunning. You're in for quite a treat tomorrow night!
Old 10-21-10, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Saw the show last night in Boston. Show starts exactly at 8:15pm. But there is an audio collage that starts at about 8:05pm that's kind of amusing, while you're waiting for the lights to go out. Show was over about 10:45pm.

I have to say, the show was just phenomenal! I've seen thousands of bands at this point, and this show has to rank right up there in the Top 10 of all time for me. It's almost cinematic in scope, and the visuals are stunning. You're in for quite a treat tomorrow night!
That's pretty much exactly what i was going to say!

I saw the concert on Oct 19th in Montreal and boy was it amazing! It was totally worth every penny.

I've seen other bands live that i like more (Metallica, Muse etc) than Pink Floyd/Roger Waters but i've never seen a better CONCERT, it was so epic in scale. It truly was breathtaking!
Old 10-29-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I am pretty damn excited for tonight's show.
Old 10-29-10, 04:39 PM

the columbus ohio show I went to was 7 days ago... and I still find myself thinking of it constantly!

started at 8:15 and ended at 10:45...

if I had to find anything negative about it, it would be the 30 minute intermission after "disc 1"... I'm sure there was a lot of work going on during that time, but it seemed a bit long to wait...
Old 10-29-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I went to the detroit show with my wife and mother-in-law last Sunday. I was glad I splurged on the more expensive tickets as we had a lot of fun. My first concert with my wife was Pink Floyd back in '94. Of course, I had the exact same problem with pot smoke this time that I had back then - my asthma was kicking up hard for a couple days.
Old 10-29-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went to the show in St. Paul on Wednesday. I haven't been able to stop talking or thinking about it. What an amazing show, I've seen hundreds of bands and this concert put them all to shame. I loved every minute of it, my eyes were glued to the stage and the visuals. Really bummed my dad didn't have time to go with, he would have loved it!
Old 10-30-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I really enjoyed last night's show, despite reading a few reports from people who sat up front that he was lip-synching throughout much of the show.
Old 11-06-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going in Philly on Monday. Does he take a long break or something? If it's 2 1/2 hours, the album can't be more than 90 minutes & he doesn't play anything else does he? i'm just hoping to be back before my Gamestop closes at 1AM to pick up Call Of Duty. I preordered the PS3 & 360 versions because I just got a Plasma 3D TV and both versions are going to be fully 3D- even online! So I would love to see the Wall, hopefully visually stimulated, then go home & play the first major AAA title to come out in 3D while still stimulated (and up all night anyway). 10:45 should do it for me unless we're unable to drive right after the show!
Old 11-06-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is about a 1/2 hour intermission between album sides. It's just the Wall, no other songs. The show will end before 11.
Old 11-07-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turns out I'm seeing this show this coming Saturday and then Nitzer Ebb:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...ote-new-album/
Old 11-15-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw this last night. I opted for the expensive tickets and am so glad I did. We had amazing seats and the show just blew me away. It's the only show I've ever gone to with surround sound. I was hearing things from all over the arena. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.
Old 11-15-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by hippie68
Saw this last night. I opted for the expensive tickets and am so glad I did. We had amazing seats and the show just blew me away. It's the only show I've ever gone to with surround sound. I was hearing things from all over the arena. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.
I went to the Saturday night show at the BA. Section 406, front row of the nosebleeds but with a GREAT view of the stage. Whatever Waters is paying his sound crew, they need a raise immediately. The BankAtlantic Center is notoriously infamous for its awful acoustics, but WOW. Everything sounded beautiful.

The show, if you're a fan, you simply CAN'T MISS. "The Wall" has been played out for YEARS for me, I never listen to it anymore, but this presentation was simply sensational. I'm heavily considering schlepping 4 hours to Tampa (each way, and on a "school night") to catch tomorrow night's show...
Old 11-16-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4 extra tickets (324, G, 16-19) to the Dallas show on Sunday if anyone is interested. I paid $116 each after service fees.
Old 11-16-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I had to sell the tickets I had to the Phoenix show because we're going to be out of town for Thanksgiving. Even though the seats weren't great, I was still really looking forward to the show.

However, my wife, her parents, and my mother engineered a surprise birthday trip to California for me, and included in the packge are two tickets to the Roger Waters show in Oakland on 12/3. And they're far better seats than my Phx tickets.

What a great surprise. Can't wait to go.
Old 11-17-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I had to sell the tickets I had to the Phoenix show because we're going to be out of town for Thanksgiving. Even though the seats weren't great, I was still really looking forward to the show.

However, my wife, her parents, and my mother engineered a surprise birthday trip to California for me, and included in the packge are two tickets to the Roger Waters show in Oakland on 12/3. And they're far better seats than my Phx tickets.

What a great surprise. Can't wait to go.
That's awesome. I don't even know you and I was sorry for you missing the show. A couple of friends are really regretting not going and I am sure to tell them that they should be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.