Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Alanis Morissette still relevant?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Is Alanis Morissette still relevant?
Yes
24.39%
No
75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I think here last 2 albums were great but they didn't register as hits on the billboard charts like they did in the past and she is probably better than most of the female artists on the charts.

Her performance at the closing ceremonies at the XX1 Winter Olympics was cut off when she sang Wunderkind and NBC showed interviews with the athletes while she sang.

Does she have another blockbuster record in her or will she have to settle as an artist that won't get a lot of radio play anymore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tukqRdtYDoU

Old 04-05-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Alanis Morissette still relevant?

Who?
Old 04-05-10, 07:54 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I used to love her back in the 90s, but she's only had two albums since 2002 and both were really bad IMO, just monotonous singing and melody arrangements.
Old 04-05-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not since:

Old 04-05-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always want to like Alanis more than I actually do. Her first album was great, but afterwards it's hit or miss; mostly miss. Most of her songs are just repeating a phrase while reading a list...

I bought eggs
I bought bacon
I bought jelly and jam
at the Su-PER Mar-KET!

I bought bread
I bought toast
I bought scones and croissants
at the Su-PER Mar-KET!

She somehow made her "shopping list" lyrics work for her once, but after that first album she needed to expand her bag of tricks somehow.

She does do the best cover of My Humps though.
Old 04-05-10, 10:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread is ironic.
Old 04-05-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I actually think she is still totally relevant. Now, as popular as she was with JLP? She won't ever be that popular again...
Old 04-05-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was expecting this to be a bumped thread from 2002
Old 04-05-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
Her first album was great...
I assume you mean Jagged Little Pill, even though it's technically her third album.

Old 04-05-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah before she went from dance-pop to angst ridden alternative. A natural transition.
Old 04-05-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I assume you mean Jagged Little Pill, even though it's technically her third album.
Thank you Infidel.
Old 04-05-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Infidel.
Thank you terror.
Old 04-05-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always want to like Alanis more than I actually do. Her first album was great, but afterwards it's hit or miss; mostly miss. Most of her songs are just repeating a phrase while reading a list...

I bought eggs
I bought bacon
I bought jelly and jam
at the Su-PER Mar-KET!

I bought bread
I bought toast
I bought scones and croissants
at the Su-PER Mar-KET!

She somehow made her "shopping list" lyrics work for her once, but after that first album she needed to expand her bag of tricks somehow.

She does do the best cover of My Humps though.
Old 04-05-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alanis still makes good music IMO. I thought Flavors Of Entanglement, which was a collaboration with Guy Sigsworth, who was behind some of Bjork's best work, was her best since Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. The real issue is the radio and masses. They only want "angry young woman" Alanis from You Oughta Know and can't accept anything else from her and won't give anything else a shot.

So commercially relevant, not in a decade, but artistically relevant she remains IMO.
Old 04-05-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, there's not much in mainstream music today that I find very appealing. Even bands and artists that seem still relevant are mostly selling a lot fewer cds than they were before Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, and a plethora of artists whose names don't even ring a bell dominated the charts.

It was refreshing to see She & Him make it to number 6, but, while I heard that but don't often look at the charts, I had to wonder what 5 artists were selling more albums than them.

I don't think I'd consider most, if not all of them, more relevant as artists than Alanis still is.

That probably makes me sound a lot older than I actually am.

Really, it would be nice if she had one more gigantic album left in her, because after losing Ryan to Scarlet, I kind of felt bad for her.
Old 04-05-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Does she have another blockbuster record in her or will she have to settle as an artist that won't get a lot of radio play anymore?
Is that how you are defining "relevant"?
If so, then no....I do not believe she will ever release another huge multi-platinum selling album....pretty much only the acts that appeal to the teen audience or the much older demographic (think Susan Boyle buyers) appear to still sell albums in the millions anymore....
However, having said that, having big sales numbers and sold-out arena tours clearly does not define quality of work...personally, I thought her last album was quite solid....she will continue to release albums she likes and wants to do, and her remaining small core fan base will probably be around.....she can probably play smaller venues and sell really well when you consider the additional people who haven't kept up with her later output, but would go to the live show for "mid-90s nostalgia"....
Old 04-05-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah before she went from dance-pop to angst ridden alternative. A natural transition.
Like she was trying to find her identity. Saw her sing in the movie and soundtrack for "De-Lovely" ruining a Cole Porter song with her vocals. Having said that I couldn't stand her and the popularity of JLP.
Old 04-05-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

To dvdtalkers, she stays relevant as long they want to put their dicks in her.
Old 04-05-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WMAangel
If so, then no....I do not believe she will ever release another huge multi-platinum selling album....pretty much only the acts that appeal to the teen audience or the much older demographic (think Susan Boyle buyers) appear to still sell albums in the millions anymore....
However, having said that, having big sales numbers and sold-out arena tours clearly does not define quality of work...personally, I thought her last album was quite solid....she will continue to release albums she likes and wants to do, and her remaining small core fan base will probably be around.....she can probably play smaller venues and sell really well when you consider the additional people who haven't kept up with her later output, but would go to the live show for "mid-90s nostalgia"....
I saw her play with Tori Amos. Both did full sets and I believe they took turns in which order they performed. Tori and Alanis one night and Alanis Tori the other night.

Mind you, Tori was still making really great music and Alanis had already slipped a bit. I also considered myself a much bigger Tori fan and had seen her multiple time.

Tori went on and put on a great performance and Alanis came on after and smoked her. The place was electric while she performed.

On topic, both could put out a really good album, and as you mentioned, based on what seems to sell now, they'd both struggle to sell. Both could still fill mid-level arenas, though, in my opinion and probably will for some time because of very loyal fan-bases (especially Tori's).

I do think Tori's stuff has gotten mostly worse over the years and she's also gotten stranger with each passing year. Both seem to be very pleasant people and not divas, which is refreshing.
Old 04-05-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Well said (if not well typed).
Old 04-06-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Yeah it is surprising since Sheryl Crow and Mariah Carey still produce hit records (not a fan of either) and they have been around since the 90's and why can't Alanis have similar success?