Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

METALLICA: "Death Magnetic" discussion part 2

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

METALLICA: "Death Magnetic" discussion part 2

Old 10-18-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: METALLICA: "Death Magnetic" discussion part 2

Nice to see Stone cold crazy in there. Really like their version of it a lot.
Old 10-18-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Well later we can talk about the MEXICO & NIMES dvd's that are coming out and so on... I'll put the info up as soon that it's available.

And hopefully the release of "Shine".

and I wish for a BLU-RAY AUDIO version of the album with 7.1 DTS MA Audio.
I was hoping we'd get a live DVD from them. Please share some info as soon as you can.
Old 10-18-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Date:
Oct 15, 2009
Venue:
Quicken Loans Arena

Setlist:
The Day That Never Comes

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5DKJtIWE4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5DKJtIWE4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-19-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Binger
We got it last night in Charlottesville.
HELL YEAH we did! I was freaking out when they started playing it, because not only is it my favorite track off of Death Magnetic, but that was actually the first time they have ever even played it in the USA!

I was already more than pleased with the night's setlist by that point in the show anyway though, since they had already played my all time favorite Metallica song: CREEPING DEATH
Old 10-19-09, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Why wasn't this thread title changed to something that indicates it's only talk about the tour?
Why is there are thread for posting Metallica set lists? If anybody actually wanted that info, they can easily see it on Metallica's web site.

And it's not really a Death Magnetic thread.
Old 10-19-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Rex
Why is there are thread for posting Metallica set lists? If anybody actually wanted that info, they can easily see it on Metallica's web site.

And it's not really a Death Magnetic thread.
I have no problem with people discussing the setlists, I just think the thread title should have been changed to reflect what is being discussed in here. Overall, it doesn't affect me too much, I just don't check this thread hoping to find any discussion about Death Magnetic. Screws things up for new readers, though.
Old 10-19-09, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
HELL YEAH we did! I was freaking out when they started playing it, because not only is it my favorite track off of Death Magnetic, but that was actually the first time they have ever even played it in the USA!

I was already more than pleased with the night's setlist by that point in the show anyway though, since they had already played my all time favorite Metallica song: CREEPING DEATH
I lost it when Creeping Death started. My favorite too. Concert was awesome and I was third row center, so I was only about 15-20 feet away from the stage.
Old 10-22-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay. News on the official France DVD has just been released on www.metallica.com:

On July 7th of this year we were honored to perform at Arenes de Nimes, the historic Roman amphitheatre in Nimes, France, easily one of the most spectacular venues in the world. We thought it would be a memorable night, so we asked our friends in France to bring along a film crew to document the festivities. The result is "Francais Pour Une Nuit" (translation: "French For One Night"), the DVD of the evening including the full show, interviews with us, and five videos shot by YOU, our buddies in the audience. All this and more will be available starting November 23, 2009!

"Francais Pour Une Nuit" was extra special for us because not only was it filmed in France, but ALL aspects of the project are French as the show was filmed, recorded, and edited with French camera and recording crews, the artwork on the package and special box set (more on that in a minute!) were created by a French design team; even the credits are in French. The only non-French parts: the three Americans and one Dane on stage and the photos shot by Englishman Ross Halfin.

The DVD will be available in retail stores in France only, at www.metallica.com, or you may order online through the record company at www.metallicanimes.com. There will be three formats available: Standard DVD in a digipack including a 16 page booklet, Blu-Ray DVD, also in a digipack with the booklet, and the deluxe limited edition box set (it's actually a tin) that includes the DVD, a copy of "Death Magnetic on CD," a Large T-shirt, laminated pass, and five exclusive photos (see it all below).

And just in case you couldn't join us that night, here is the set list:

Blackened
Creeping Death
Fuel
Harvester Of Sorrow
Fade To Black
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
One
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Dyers Eve
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Stone Cold Crazy
Motorbreath
Seek & Destroy

My question: will this be PAL or NTWC, Region 1 or 2? Love the fact they're paying homage to the country where it was filmed, but why only make it available in France?

Mods, please move this post if it should be in its own thread.

Last edited by dvduser6; 10-23-09 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-23-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's NTSC and Region Free.
Old 10-23-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's NTSC and Region Free.
All I needed to know. I will probably place my order this week. While I'm not much for collector's sets these days, this one looks pretty good. If they'd only offered some different bonus than the DM CD, I may have thought about getting that version.
Old 10-23-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-23-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jippy
All I needed to know. I will probably place my order this week. While I'm not much for collector's sets these days, this one looks pretty good. If they'd only offered some different bonus than the DM CD, I may have thought about getting that version.
I'm getting the BLU-RAY version
Old 10-23-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Date:
Oct 18, 2009
Venue:
Time Warner Cable Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Four Horsemen
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
Turn the Page
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Too Late Too Late
Phantom Lord
Seek and Destroy
Old 10-23-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sucks that the Nimes show doesn't have "That Was Just Your Life", hopefully the Mexico one will.
Old 10-24-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One Of Our Fans Is Missing

We are deeply concerned about the disappearance of 20 year old Virginia Tech student Morgan Dana Harrington, who was last seen while attending our concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, VA, on Saturday night.

Morgan has blonde hair and blue eyes, is 5'6", 120 lbs., and was wearing a black "Pantera" T-shirt, black skirt, and black boots. She was not carrying I.D. or a cell phone. Morgan was separated from her friends shortly before 9pm at the venue. Police have been searching the area since Monday.

We encourage anyone who has any information regarding Morgan's disappearance to please come forward. Additionally, if you or anyone you know shot video footage or took photos of the concert or audience, please check to see if there is anyone in your photos who might resemble Morgan. Please contact the Virginia State Police at (434) 352-3425 or the UVA Police at (434) 352-3467 or [email protected]. if you have any information.

Our thoughts are with Morgan and her family for her safe return.

Old 10-25-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

METALLICA Adds $50,000 To Reward In Case Of Missing Virginia Tech Student

METALLICA has joined the efforts to help locate Morgan Harrington — who disappeared during the band's concert in Charlottesville one week ago — by adding $50,000 to the $100,000 reward being offered for information leading to her whereabouts. Also joining the search is the FBI, who will be able to investigate tips from around the country in the case of the 20-year-old Virginia Tech student missing since she became separated from her friends at the October 17 show.

According to CBSNews.com, Harrington's father, Dan Harrington, told CBS-TV's "Early Show Saturday Edition" co-anchor Erica Hill investigators were to meet with him and his wife, Gil Harrington, on Saturday to bring them up-to-date on the search for their daughter.

"We're hopeful that they would have some morsel of news for us," Gil Harrington said to Hill.

Dan Harrington told Hill his "co-workers have raised $100,000 for a reward, and actually, just [on Friday], I received a call from METALLICA and they're working on increasing that to $150,000."

According to Rockville Magazine, Fox News' Laura Ingle reported yesterday that METALLICA frontman James Hetfield "made a phone call to the father of Morgan Harrington [on Friday to] offer the band's support and they are putting up all the information of Morgan Herrington's disappearance on their web site. [The band] is also offering up $50,000 to go into the reward to help find Morgan Harrington."

Police are asking anyone with information to call the Morgan Harrington Tip Hotline at (434) 352-3467. There is also more information at a web site, FindMorgan.com.
Old 10-30-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Date:
Oct 26, 2009
Venue:
Air Canada Centre

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Ride The Lightning
The Memory Remains
Fade To Black
Broken, Beat And Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
One
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Stone Cold Crazy
Whiplash
Seek and Destroy
Old 10-30-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Date:
Oct 27, 2009
Venue:
Air Canada Centre

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Holier Than Thou
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
My Apocalypse
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Die, Die My Darling
Motorbreath
Seek and Destroy
Old 10-30-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Remaining Death Magnetic Tracks Coming To Wii

Eight songs available November 24, 2009
If you've been playing Guitar Hero on the Wii, you may have noticed that we were short a few songs when it came to "Death Magnetic" - well no more! Our friends at Guitar Hero have been working long and hard with Nintendo so that Wii fans can now play the eight “Death Magnetic” songs not previously available for that gaming system.

Starting November 24, additional tracks from "Death Magnetic" will be available as downloadable singles for 200 Wii points each. If you're keeping score, that would be "All Nightmare Long", "That Was Just Your Life", "The Day That Never Comes", "The Judas Kiss", "The End Of The Line", "The Unforgiven III", "Suicide & Redemption J.H." and "Suicide & Redemption K.H." Enjoy!
Old 10-30-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$89.99 Pre-Order: "Francais Pour Une Nuit" Collector's Edition Nimes Live Box Set
http://store.metallica.com/store/sto...oductId=600674

$19.99 Pre-Order: "Francais Pour Une Nuit" Nimes Live DVD
http://store.metallica.com/store/sto...oductId=600673

$19.99 Pre-Order: "Francais Pour Une Nuit" Nimes Live Blu-Ray Disc
http://store.metallica.com/store/sto...oductId=600675
Old 10-31-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice! Glad to see the same price for both versions...I really expected the BD to cost more as they usually do....

I really wish that missing girl from the concert I went to would be found OK...I got the Charlottesville specific shirt at the show, and I have had more than one person ask me about it when they see me wearing it....it's been two weeks now, as a parent myself I'd probably be insane by this point, so horrible!
Old 11-01-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Date:
Oct 30, 2009
Venue:
MSG - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - 25th Anniversary

Setlist:
For Whom The Bell Tolls
One
Turn The Page
Sweet Jane (w/ Lou Reed)
White Light / White Heat (w/ Lou Reed)
Iron Man (w/ Ozzy Osbourne)
Paranoid (w/ Ozzy Osbourne)
You Really Got Me (w/ Ray Davies)
All Day And All Of The Night (w/ Ray Davies)
Stone Cold Crazy
Enter Sandman
Old 11-01-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Benefit Concert

The power or rock'n'roll...the POWER of rock'n'roll...the ELECTRICITY of rock'n'roll and the DANGER of rock'n'roll...taking risks...going to new places...hitting the outer regions of thrust and volume...yes folks, Metallica did all of that and more

They strode onto the Madison Square Garden stage after Jeff Beck had delivered a traditional Beckian-set of guitar ledge-ness, and from the very first note of 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' it was very obvious that the well-heeled were going to get their coiffered heads blown off. Metallica were not there to pander to the big ticket, big dollar audience, uh-uh, in fact in a fashion similar to the induction event, they set about tearing down whatever ego-stuffed edifices an event of this magnitude creates, and replacing them with delicious raw power.

They also threw away the safety net when it came to collaborations, instead embracing the knowledge that some things don't make sense on paper.

Pineapple on pizza, chocolate sauce on chicken, Metallica jamming with first Lou Reed and then Ray Davies (broken up by some seriously 'makes-a-ton-of-sense-because-it's-stone-proven-fucking-cool' riffage with Ozzy)...

And hey HEY, thank FUCKING God people don't live their lives solely on paper, because if they did, we'd have witnessed a very professionally written, excellently punctuated computer-typed essay on the importance of manners in a civilized society, as opposed to a city block sprayed with preposterously rude, adventurous and aggressive commands and dictates. 'Be brave.' 'Be loud.' 'Be free.'

But most of all, do not ever ever EVER write something off because it doesn't fit in with your natural parameters. It's a lesson kids, and it was taught in this unique (it's a much-used word so I'll say it again, UNIQUE) performance.

Because after they did 'One' and 'Turn The Page' proud (Hetfield paying heartfelt tribute to Bob Seger) everything switched up and everything switched onto another plain, Lou Reed walking slowly out to rapturous applause from his disciples (not to mention loud refrains of 'Lou Lou Lou') before plugging up his stuff and kicking into 'Sweet Jane.' When Lou Reed's feeling something, everyone knows it, and how could he not have felt this? You don't know the song? Buy it. And then listen to this version of it. Because I swear, it won't make sense when you listen to the original, but it might so much sense as they brought the house down delivering it. As for 'White Light White Heat', well, it's wall of sound punk runaway fuel, a song I would not be surprised to see the band jam for an encore now and again because it is SO FUCKING RIGHT WHEN THEY PLAY IT!!! And Lou Reed led from the front. And Lou Reed delivered the final feedback- flanged period. And it was really something because it didn't have to work but it really, really did.

Ozzy wasn't about to let the moment disappear, and his entrance threw the Garden into further cacophonous delight, Oz quickly dropping into 'Iron Man' and absolutely delighting in the fact that the band around him were all 18 again and wearing shit-eating grins, which just got wider when they effortlessly broke into a superb version of 'Paranoid'. So right on and off paper. So simple. So goddam cool.

And then to throw a bigger curve to the set, the man who wrote the first riff* which Ozzy got excited about, Ray Davies of The Kinks, strode out as cool as the proverbial English cucumber and immediately led Metallica and the audience through 'You Really Got Me*' before they dropped seemlessly into 'All Day and All of The Night' which should have been a Metallica song because it sounds like it should've been a Metallica riff because it's really aggressive and dirty and uproarious...as James said, the forefather of punk music when you strip it down (and incidentally, listen to 'All Day...' and you will not be able to stop humming it for at least 96 hours - and there's no vaccine to guard against that thank christ!) and one which I was still humming in my head as the band ripped through a rowdy 'Stone Cold Crazy.'

Rounding that off is rather tough, but when you wrote a song called 'Enter Sandman' that helped propel you to the upper stratosphere, then you have the right answer for the occasion. The evening was a combination of TRUE adventure, PROPER daring and the wonderful, crisp scent of a pioneering spirit in the house...yeah, Metallica kicked unique ass tonight, and this was a set that will become legendary for all the best, best reasons. You can see it for yourselves when HBO broadcasts 4 hours of highlights in the US on November 29th.

Words by: Steffan Chirazi
Photos by: Jeff Yeager

1.55am, London Hotel, New York, October 31st 2009

HBO will broadcast four hours of highlights from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Concerts on November 29 at 8PM EST in the U.S. At this time there are not plans for a worldwide broadcast, but we'll be sure to keep you posted should that change.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 11-01-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for iphone users, did anybody get the Live Metallica app? for $0.99 it's absolutely fantastic!
Old 11-03-09, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$89.99 Pre-Order: "Francais Pour Une Nuit" Collector's Edition Nimes Live Box Set
http://store.metallica.com/store/sto...oductId=600674

i asked the website customer service about this and i have yet to get a reply - will my CC get charged when i place the order or when the order actually ships?

does anybody know?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.