Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 360° North American Tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 360° North American Tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: U2 360° North American Tour

Saw the show Friday night in Tampa. I'm not a big U2 fan but my wife is and we all had a good time.

Old 10-13-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

It looks like the setlist for the last few has been pretty static. They seem to have dropped Unknown Caller and a couple of other interesting songs they were working in in favor of Mysterious Ways and Stuck In A Moment. Ugh. Not looking as forward to the show tomorrow night as I was on the last tour, where the setlist was a little more imaginative.
Old 10-13-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's mostly new album stuff. Mostly.
Old 10-13-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
It looks like the setlist for the last few has been pretty static.
I'd like to see U2 go back on tour next time with a sparse stage like Bruce Springsteen and shake up the set list each night. Even play songs on the fly. Seems like that would be more fun for the band.
Old 10-13-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not even expecting a ton of deep tracks. 1/3 new stuff, 1/3 hits, 1/3 deep cuts and album tracks. Seems like everyone goes home happy in a situation like that. I'm just tired of U2 playing the same stuff tour after tour. Do we really need all 4 singles from All The You Can't Leave Behind to be played again?
Old 10-13-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They didn't play Pride (In the Name of Love), which was a little surprising.
Old 10-13-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm not even expecting a ton of deep tracks. 1/3 new stuff, 1/3 hits, 1/3 deep cuts and album tracks. Seems like everyone goes home happy in a situation like that. I'm just tired of U2 playing the same stuff tour after tour. Do we really need all 4 singles from All The You Can't Leave Behind to be played again?
Which makes hearing "Unforgettable Fire" even more appealing. Hate to keep bringing up Springsteen, but he also has a deep catalog with decent recent albums and often goes waaay back and plays many older cuts. Maybe he thinks his fanbase is more apt to know the older songs? The thing with U2 is that many of us probably first got into them because they were an alternative band willing to take chances and doing it so well. Judging from the new album I believe they still do that sometimes (and that concert staging definitely would suggest so). I missed the show the other night because I was babysitting and really didn't feel like I missed much.
Old 10-13-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone interested in how they created and run the 360 tour should read this. Found it on the U2 fan forums.

http://www.digico.biz/docs/articles/..._July09_U2.pdf

It details the creation of the spaceship, stage, sound, lighting, video, etc. Its long and full of details but really worth the read.
Old 10-13-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I missed the show the other night because I was babysitting and really didn't feel like I missed much.
Well if you are a fan then I think you missed a whole lot. I know people who don't even care for U2 all that much that went and were blown away by the whole experience that evening.
Old 10-13-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Well if you are a fan then I think you missed a whole lot. I know people who don't even care for U2 all that much that went and were blown away by the whole experience that evening.
And I saw in a local forum the next day a bunch of people with plenty to bitch about (song list, sound in a big arena, 360 with little action being 360). Listen, I would have gone if I could have, but having seen them three times in the past... eh, not a biggy.
Old 10-14-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I heard the sound was pretty crappy in ATL since it's domed. My Raleigh show was great. Muse kicked ass, and U2 was great that night.
Old 10-14-09, 09:44 AM

When to the Dallas show.It took me all day yesterday to recover.Got in the GA line at 4:45.Finally got in at 5:45.Was on outer rail Edges side,about 3 people back.I think Muse would have been better if everybody around us had not been over the top teenage fans.As Chrisedge has always said "Screamers Suck".One kid said he loved Muse so much that he would "Service all of them with my mouth".
Out of my 9 shows I've seen U2,this would be 4th best.11\87,4\92 and Elevation Vegas were better.It could have been better if:
Sound was good but not great.a bit muddled.
Seemed like alot of the Dallas Posers were on the floor.They don't care who is playing,they just want to be seen.
If they play San Diego next year,My wife and I will go for sure.
Old 10-14-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I heard the sound was pretty crappy in ATL since it's domed. My Raleigh show was great. Muse kicked ass, and U2 was great that night.
Yes, having the show in a dome is probably what ruined the acoustics.

The Raleigh show was the best concert I have heard for any live act I've seen. Sound was as good as its gets for a live show. The mix was perfect for both bands.
Old 10-14-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vman69
When to the Dallas show.It took me all day yesterday to recover.Got in the GA line at 4:45.Finally got in at 5:45.Was on outer rail Edges side,about 3 people back.I think Muse would have been better if everybody around us had not been over the top teenage fans.As Chrisedge has always said "Screamers Suck".One kid said he loved Muse so much that he would "Service all of them with my mouth".
Out of my 9 shows I've seen U2,this would be 4th best.11\87,4\92 and Elevation Vegas were better.It could have been better if:
Sound was good but not great.a bit muddled.
Seemed like alot of the Dallas Posers were on the floor.They don't care who is playing,they just want to be seen.
If they play San Diego next year,My wife and I will go for sure.
Dallas would have the same problem as ATL sound-wise. The are both domed and its very challenging to get the acoustics right in a dome.

Everything I have read is that the floor is not the best place to be. Yes you are up close but to experience the shows full impact the better seats are away from the stage. We were in the upper sections of Carter-Finley and it was incredible. The 360 screen and the video show make it feel like you are on the floor anyways.
Old 10-14-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I was on the floor at Charlottesville and had a great experience. First the sound was amazing, especially for a stadium show. I wasn't super up close but still had a good view of the band and the complete stage/screen.
Old 10-15-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checking out the Rose Bowl show in a couple of weeks. FOr anybody who's already attended and had floor tix, where's the best spot to hang out? I am thinking of avoiding the inner circle and opting to find a spot near the mixing desk instead.
Old 10-15-09, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Checking out the Rose Bowl show in a couple of weeks. FOr anybody who's already attended and had floor tix, where's the best spot to hang out? I am thinking of avoiding the inner circle and opting to find a spot near the mixing desk instead.
I went to Atlanta, but I had lower level seats instead of general admission. I didn't want to put up with the lines to get in and the crush of people on the field. If I could do it all over again, I would try to get a GA ticket instead. I could have walked in right before the show and had plenty of room back near the soundboard. My section stood the whole night anyway, so I could have stood on the field and saved $40 or $50.

I know there were some complaints about the sound, but I must have been in a sweet spot. I thought both Muse and U2 sounded fine from my seat.
Old 10-15-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jippy
Went to Houston last night and had GA. The inner circle looked very crowded so I'm kinda glad we missed it. We were about 5 feet from the barrier of the outer circle walkway, so were were about 10 feet from Bono, etc. when they moved around the walkway, which they did a lot. Also, everything is in front of you so you don't have to turn around when they start moving about.

The Red Zone seemed like it would be a pretty crappy place to be stuck watching the show.
Old 10-16-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-16-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best spots on the floor? For me it would be:

#1 inner circle, frontish side! (You could be in front of red zone, but it's not so crowded)
#2 outer rail (Expect to wait for this spot)
#3 Soundboard area (Still a great view but not crowded at all)

Out of my 3 shows, I've done inner circle twice (Adams side, front edge side) and then about 1/3 way back from ring in middle of floor.

My next two shows I have seats for...
Old 10-16-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vman69
As Chrisedge has always said "Screamers Suck"...
They do!

Soon.........
Old 10-16-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZFbCwo_afg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZFbCwo_afg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This video is probably the best I've shot...
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpKhJkw9RT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpKhJkw9RT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Chrisedge; 10-17-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
the very first show ever in the dome was u2 and that show had horrible acoustics. good to know they got that fixed! lol
Old 10-19-09, 12:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

nice!

As a U2.com subscriber, we wanted you to be first with some breaking news - this Sunday the band's 360° Show at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena will be filmed for a dvd.

As they're drafting in more cameras to create a great film, the band has decided to allow it to be streamed live on YouTube.

It'll be officially announced later today but at 8.30pm (PT) on Sunday, wherever you are in the world don't miss the chance to see the show live and uninterrupted online. See a clip on You Tube.

As well as being able to watch the show, we'll bring our subscribers news as the week progresses from our video reporter on the ground. We'll also have bulletins from Director Tom Krueger and other exclusive video footage from backstage over the weekend.

Stay tuned, should be quite a night...
Old 10-19-09, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
nice!

As a U2.com subscriber, we wanted you to be first with some breaking news - this Sunday the band's 360° Show at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena will be filmed for a dvd.

As they're drafting in more cameras to create a great film, the band has decided to allow it to be streamed live on YouTube.

It'll be officially announced later today but at 8.30pm (PT) on Sunday, wherever you are in the world don't miss the chance to see the show live and uninterrupted online. See a clip on You Tube.

As well as being able to watch the show, we'll bring our subscribers news as the week progresses from our video reporter on the ground. We'll also have bulletins from Director Tom Krueger and other exclusive video footage from backstage over the weekend.

Stay tuned, should be quite a night...
Nice, count me in!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.