Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Old 06-29-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Here's a story with audio comparing the riffs.

A few thoughts:

1) It's definitely the same riff.

2) It's clearly an homage. "Down Under" was written as a sort of Australian anthem and so (briefly) musically references a famous Australian song.

3) Looking at this and a few other stories on the subject, it seems as if "Kookaburra"'s writer never owned the copyright to the song, so it wasn't legally sold or purchased.
Old 06-30-09, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberjoe
I also think it's funny that (according to an AP story) the company says it bought the "Kookaburra" rights after the song writer's death in 1988. But "Down Under" was released in 1983. So not only did they not even (allegedly) own the rights until 5 years after the offending song was released, but they waited 21 years to file the lawsuit? Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations?
I guess they feel that M@W are still making royalties off a song that was written after "Kookaburra" and as such still owe $$ to whomever owns the rights - even of the owner only just acquired those rights.
Old 06-30-09, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Here's a story with audio comparing the riffs.

A few thoughts:

1) It's definitely the same riff.

2) It's clearly an homage. "Down Under" was written as a sort of Australian anthem and so (briefly) musically references a famous Australian song.

3) Looking at this and a few other stories on the subject, it seems as if "Kookaburra"'s writer never owned the copyright to the song, so it wasn't legally sold or purchased.
Wow - good find. They are undeniably similar (identical?) but was it theft? I find that hard to believe. A homage would make seem more like it.
Old 06-30-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redhenry
I guess they feel that M@W are still making royalties off a song that was written after "Kookaburra" and as such still owe $$ to whomever owns the rights - even of the owner only just acquired those rights.
lame and ridiculous, suing someone over this song is like suing them for bah bah black sheep or any other nursery rhyme
Old 06-30-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Listen to "Hotel California" and tell me that The Eagles didn't borrow a little from Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know."

"Wake Up" by Rage Against the Machine sounds a lot like "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin to me.
Old 06-30-09, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by statcat
lame and ridiculous, suing someone over this song is like suing them for bah bah black sheep or any other nursery rhyme
And what about "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and the "Alphabet Song"? Identical tunes in their entirety. Someone's gonna pay for that!!!!
Old 06-30-09, 10:26 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Gary Moore losing a plagerism case over 'Still Got The Blues'

Source http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLA...sitemID=110167

Reuters reports that German court has ordered former THIN LIZZY guitarist Gary Moore to pay damages after ruling the guitar solo in his 1990 hit "Still Got the Blues" had been plagiarized from a German song written in 1974.

A court in the southern city of Munich said on Wednesday the solo in Moore's song was too similar to the one in "Nordrach" by the band JUD'S GALLERY not to have been copied — even though the German song was not available on record at the time.

In a statement, the court ordered Moore, 56, from Northern Ireland, and his record label to pay damages to band leader Juergen Winter who brought the case. The amount has yet to be fixed.
GARY MOORE – "Still Got The Blues"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xx3yXUunEq8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xx3yXUunEq8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JUD'S GALLERY - "Nordrach" (listen beginning around five-minute, 23-second mark):
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe-uwEqTjd0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe-uwEqTjd0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-01-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Just listened to that Green Day song and I have to say, that's not even close to a ripoff of Say It Aint So.

you dont hear any similarities in the chorus?
Old 07-01-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
you dont hear any similarities in the chorus?
Both songs use completely different chordal progressions. The only similiarity is the strumming patterns sound the same with thick layers of distortion.
Old 07-01-09, 07:54 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

"Lover of the Bayou" by Mudcrutch uses a lot of the same chords/licks as "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.
Old 07-01-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
"Lover of the Bayou" by Mudcrutch uses a lot of the same chords/licks as "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.
which Stairway... uses Spirit's Taurus, led zep are the kings of ripoffs if there ever was one band you could single out
Old 07-01-09, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by statcat
which Stairway... uses Spirit's Taurus, led zep are the kings of ripoffs if there ever was one band you could single out
not so sure i agree. def borrowed alot (influenced by), but they were their own element and arguably the greatest rock band to ever exist.
Old 07-01-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Janet Jackson ripped off Sly and the Family Stone ("Thank You") in "Rhythm Nation"
Old 07-01-09, 09:10 PM
Banned

Pretty much Every song by Phil COllins rips-off infinitely better songs originally done by Peter Gabriel./
Old 07-02-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Pretty much Every song by Phil COllins rips-off infinitely better songs originally done by Peter Gabriel./
Deeply insightful and well researched. You've convinced me.
Old 07-02-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mashed together:

Old 07-02-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmu878
not so sure i agree. def borrowed alot (influenced by), but they were their own element and arguably the greatest rock band to ever exist.
The band they spawned from (yardbirds) were superior in every sense in my opinion but there's only a small percentage of people who would think that. The main thing I never liked about Led Zeppelin was Plant's vocals, they kind of irritated me after awhile and while I'm a fan of what they did (especially early on) I don't think they're anywhere near as great as lots make them out to be.
Old 07-02-09, 02:44 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat;9541055/
...and while I'm a fan of what they did (especially early on) I don't think they're anywhere near as great as lots make them out to be.
Blasphemy!
Old 07-02-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by jmu878
I love Zeppelin, but Dazed & Confused, Stairway, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and a host of other songs were *direct* rip-offs of earlier tunes. Not to say they didn't put their own sonic stamp on these songs, but it was out-and-out theft.
Old 07-02-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I love Zeppelin, but Dazed & Confused, Stairway, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and a host of other songs were *direct* rip-offs of earlier tunes. Not to say they didn't put their own sonic stamp on these songs, but it was out-and-out theft.
The one I always found the funniest was Dazed and Confused which was a song by Jake Holmes. The Yardbirds had seen him play this and then did their own version live. Page later brought it to Led Zeppelin and then they just took complete song writing credits and Page claimed he never heard of Jake Holmes.

In a 1990 interview with Musician magazine, Jimmy Page quickly soured when questions veered into this territory. The Q and A exchange is quoted below.

Musician: I understand "Dazed & Confused" was originally a song by Jake Holmes. Is that true?

Page: [Sourly] I don't know. I don't know. [Inhaling] I don't know about all that.

Musician: Do you remember the process of writing that song?

Page: Well, I did that with the Yardbirds originally... The Yardbirds were such a good band for a guitarist to play in that I came up with a lot of riffs and ideas out of that, and I employed quite a lot of those in the early Zeppelin stuff.

Musician: But Jake Holmes, a successful jingle writer in New York, claims on his 1967 record that he wrote the original song.

Page: Hmm. Well, I don't know. I don't know about that. I'd rather not get into it because I don't know all the circumstances. What's he got, The riff or whatever? Because Robert wrote some of the lyrics for that on the album. But he was only listening to... we extended it from the one that we were playing with the Yardbirds.

Musician: Did you bring it into the Yardbirds?

Page: No, I think we played it 'round a sort of melody line or something that Keith [Relf] had. So I don't know. I haven't heard Jake Holmes so I don't know what it's all about anyway. Usually my riffs are pretty damn original. [laughs] What can I say?
Old 07-02-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought that Radiohead's "Karma Police" borrows a lot from The Beatles "Sexy Sadie"

"This is what you get..." piano thing is what I'm referring to.
Old 07-04-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thought of another after thinking about kiss, Love Her all I Can is based on Nazz- Open My Eyes
Old 07-05-09, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Deeply insightful and well researched. You've convinced me.
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Even one example might have been nice.
Old 07-07-09, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Always thought that Mariah Carey's "Emotion" was a rather blatant rip-off of the Emotions "Best of My Love."
Old 05-21-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Led Zeppelin sued for plagiarizing "Stairway To Heaven"

From Newsmax.com:
"Stairway to Heaven" is a ripoff of the Spirit song "Taurus," a new lawsuit filed against Led Zeppelin claims.

Randy California, the late guitarist and writer of the band Spirit, accused Led Zeppelin for years of taking the opening chords of "Stairway to Heaven" from his song "Taurus," Philly.com reported. Spirit's founding bassist Mark Andes, now 66, is now working with Philadelphia attorney Francis Alexander Malofiy to bring the suit.

Malofiy told Businessweek.com that the lawsuit Spirit plans to file will have present-day implications as he is also seeking an injunction to keep Led Zeppelin from using "Stairway to Heaven" on its upcoming rerelease album.

"The idea behind this is to make sure that Randy California is given a writing credit on 'Stairway to Heaven," Malofiy said. "It's been a long time coming."

Andes told Businessweek that it was only recently that he noticed the striking similarities between "Stairway to Heaven" and "Taurus."

"The clarity seems to be a present-day clarity, not at the time of infringement," Andes said. "I can't explain it. It is fairly blatant, and note for note. It would just be nice if the Led Zeppelin guys gave Randy a little nod. That would be lovely."

Andes told Businessweek that Led Zeppelin and Spirit crossed paths often in 1969, doing shows together at the start of their careers.

"We did quite a few shows with those guys," he said of gigs with Led Zeppelin, which was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995. "Not to say they might not have heard it from the record."

Andes pointed to concerts in Detroit and Atlanta, and cities in Texas where Led Zeppelin would have heard Spirit play the song.

Businessweek said California told Listener magazine in 1997 that he believed Led Zeppelin took his song.

"I’d say it was a ripoff," he said at the time. "And the guys made millions of bucks on it and never said 'Thank you,' never said, 'Can we pay you some money for it?' It's kind of a sore point with me. Maybe someday their conscience will make them do something about it."

California died later that year trying to rescue his 12-year-old son who was caught in a rip current in Hawaii.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/stair.../20/id/572381/

Here's the YouTube link of "Taurus":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.