Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Originally Posted by Paff
Wow. Going back through the years of this thread, no one's mentioned that The Offspring's "Why Don't You Go Get a Job" is a total reworking of "Ob-Lah-Di"?
It's the bastard son of "Ob-La-Di" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Ceceila"
Old 05-03-16, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Santigold's "Disparate Youth" borrows heavily from XTC's "Making Plans For Nigel".
Old 05-04-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer
Santigold's "Disparate Youth" borrows heavily from XTC's "Making Plans For Nigel".
Just listened to Santigold---yep, that's a ripoff.
Old 05-05-16, 02:31 PM

U2's "Get on Your Boots" rips off Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up".
Old 05-12-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

"Happy" is just a ripoff of "Snappy"
Old 05-12-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie
"Happy" is just a ripoff of "Snappy"
Old 05-13-16, 01:08 AM
Cool New Member

U2's "Get on Your Boots" rips off Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up".
It has elements of The Escape Club - Wild Wild West
Old 05-13-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Song that's better than the song it rips off but remains a ripoff:

...which sounds an awful lot like:

It remains one of my favorite songs.
Old 05-13-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

^ Well actually, the Pulp song sounds like the original Gloria by Umberto Tozzi... which Laura Branigan did a cover of.

Old 05-15-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

The Belgian entry for Eurovision in 2016

Laura Tesoro - What's The Pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3USrYpr5w

One of the rare good songs from the contest but the bass is basically the same one used in Good Times/Rapper's Delight
Old 05-16-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
"Lover of the Bayou" by Mudcrutch uses a lot of the same chords/licks as "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.
It also uses a lot of the same chords/licks as "Lover of the Bayou" from the album "Untitled" that The Byrds released the year before "Stairway to Heaven."
Old 06-09-16, 08:25 PM

Interpol's "Rest My Chemistry" borrows heavily from the Pixies' "Where is My Mind".
Old 06-09-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I like Twenty One Pilots, I felt "Tear In My Heart":

Sounded a lot like Amanda Palmer's "The Killing Type":

Old 06-10-16, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Ed Sheeran sued for $20M over Photograph http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/ed-sheeran-sued-for-dollar20m-for-allegedly-copying-song-released-by-x-factor-winner/ar-AAgO40D?ocid=ansmsnent11
Old 06-11-16, 04:48 PM

The Cars' "Let's Go" features the same clapping as The Routers' song with the same title.
Old 06-11-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 06-11-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Song that's better than the song it rips off but remains a ripoff:
Spoiler:

...which sounds an awful lot like:

It remains one of my favorite songs.
I don't hear an aural resemblance at all, and I much prefer "Gloria". JMO.
There are definite similarities, but at what point does one call it a ripoff?

Tom Petty's "Angel Dream No. 2" sounds quite a lot like some other song, I think, but I can't pinpoint the song it's ripping off, if it is indeed ripping off another song.
Old 06-17-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Stairway To Heaven Trail: Jimmy Page testifies; The 'Mary Poppins' connection.

Spoilerized due to length of content.

Spoiler:

From rollingstone.com:

Jimmy Page Testifies as Led Zeppelin 'Stairway to Heaven' Trial Heats Up
Guitarist faces hours-long grilling over alleged copyright infringement of 1960s psych-rock band Spirit's "Taurus"

BY MATT DIEHL June 16, 2016

The copyright court battle between Led Zeppelin and 1960s psych-rockers Spirit over "Stairway to Heaven" took a startling turn Wednesday in the trial's second day, as guitarist Jimmy Page was called to the stand to testify in his and the band's defense. Spectators gathered outside Court 850 in Los Angeles' Edward R. Roybal Federal Building and United States Courthouse were already twittering (and Tweeting) in suspense after seeing Robert Plant and Page enter the court's chambers with Page holding a guitar case. Alas, the assembled weren't treated to an impromptu version of "Stairway to Heaven" by the song's original writers and performers; instead, they were subjected to the trial's most pointed, tension-filled moments yet.

The trial began with continued testimony from Spirit's Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes, focusing on a 1970 U.K. concert Spirit played in drummer John Bonham and Plant's hometown of Birmingham at a club known as Mother's and allegedly attended by Plant himself. Andes was the plaintiff's most sympathetic witness yet: Exuding sincerity, he described his encounter with Plant at a pre-concert meet-and-greet and post-performance afterparty. "It was a spontaneous gathering - we wound up in the club's pub area," Andes recounted in his testimony. "I played snooker with Robert Plant and we were definitely drinking."

During discussion of the Birmingham concert, Plant seemed more engaged, and almost wistful, hearing detailed descriptions of his hometown from witnesses. Andes was undermined, however, under defense lawyer Peter Anderson's ruthless cross-examination. Contrary to his earlier testimony, the Spirit musician was forced to recant that Page was not in attendance at the group's Mother's show and that any meeting with Plant at the meet-and-greet would've lasted "about a minute."

Bizarrely, the similarity between Spirit's song "Taurus" and "Stairway to Heaven" wasn't brought up until nearly two hours into today's proceedings; the friendship between Jimi Hendrix and late Spirit guitarist and "Taurus" composer Randy California was brought up ad infinitum by the plaintiff's witness, while a seemingly pointless and sentimental questioning of Spirit superfan Bruce Pates by Malofiy dragged on forever. (Judge Gregory Klausner didn't allow most of Pates' testimony as he was not designated an official expert witness, with Led Zeppelin's lead counsel Peter Anderson declining to even cross-examine Pates.)

bacigalup note: Malofly is Francis Malofiy - the counsel representing the suit brought by Michael Skidmore, trustee of the estate of Spirit guitarist Randy "California" Wolfe.

The proceedings intensified, however, when Malofiy called Page as a witness, causing an excited gasp from the spectators assembled in the galley as the rock-star royal made his way to the stand, reading glasses in hand. Much of Page's testimony centered on the plaintiff's counsel's attempt to demonstrate Page and Led Zeppelin's familiarity with the music and discography of Spirit, as well as any personal contact between the bands. With Malofiy in full attack mode - at one point during Page's testimony, he testily referred to Page as the "alleged songwriter" of "Stairway to Heaven" - the attorney repeatedly confronted Page on owning multiple Spirit albums.

Under oath, Page admitted to recalling purchasing Spirit's second and third albums, The Family That Plays Together and Clear. Both records were released in 1969, but Page was surprised when he recently discovered numerous other Spirit releases, including a live album and Spirit's eponymous 1968 debut that contains "Taurus" as its fourth track. That album also contains "Fresh-Garbage," a cover of which Page admitted was a staple of Led Zeppelin's earliest live sets, appearing during a jam section in a medley entitled "As Long As I Have You."

Page claimed he had never heard the band's eponymous debut album, noting that there was no way for him to listen to, or even know the existence of, every record in his expansive personal music collection, which he assessed as "4,329 LPs and 5,882 CDs." "To be honest, I could've bought it or been given it," Page stated. He claimed he had never heard "Taurus" until "something appeared on the Internet - there was a buzz going on in the comparison [between "Taurus" and "Stairway"] a few years ago. My son-in-law brought it up; I don't do the Internet, so he played it for me. When I heard the orchestral part at the beginning, I knew I'd never heard it before … When it started, I was confused by the comparison … [I thought] 'What's this got to do with 'Stairway'?"

On the stand, Page was alternately candid, evasive, sarcastic and wittily charming in his Anglicisms. Describing the reason why Zeppelin decided to include "Fresh-Garbage" in their sets, he noted the band's tendency to "chip a wink to what's hot." When Malofiy asked how long Led Zeppelin played the totemic "Fresh-Garbage" riff in the "As Long I Have You" segment of their live show, Page responded, "I don't know - I don't have a stopwatch." During a protracted discussion of Page's musical beginnings, Malofiy ludicrously stated, "later on [in his youth, Page discovered he] had a gift in his ability to play guitar," causing the Zeppelin axeman to snap, "Well, yeah" and the crowd to guffaw heartily.

Much of the day's testimony centered around the events of December 26th, 1969 - the date of a Led Zeppelin concert in Denver co-headlined by Spirit and heavy rockers Vanilla Fudge. According to Page, Led Zeppelin played first and had to leave immediately after to make the next day's date in Seattle, making it impossible for anyone in the band to have seen Spirit's performance. He also claimed he wasn't even aware of Spirit's presence on the bill, despite the fact that Zeppelin covered "Fresh-Garbage" that night, as had become tradition in their early live sets. "I didn't think I was opening for Spirit; I thought I was opening for Vanilla Fudge," Page said. "I was excited about opening for Vanilla Fudge because I was a big fan of theirs."

Page also claimed he didn't recall quotes from interviews where he praised Spirit, discussed playing shows with the band and seemingly admitted to being a fan of Spirit live shows despite claiming on the stand he'd never seen a Spirit concert. Even when presented with a vintage audio recording of an interview where Page clearly stated, "Spirit is a band I really love," he claimed memory failed him. "I don't remember, it was long ago - could be distorted, too," Page said. "In those days, they still sort of jotted things down on notepads."

Page seemed relieved whenever music became the trial's focus: he nodded to the groove to both "Stairway to Heaven" and "Taurus" alike when acoustic renditions of each song were played for the jury. Wearing a wry smile, he played air drums on the stand during the playing of a live take of Zeppelin's "Fresh-Garbage" cover, at one point winking at Plant; as Klausner called for a break mid-trial, Page even busted out a spontaneous boogie move.

Despite Page's casual exterior, sparks continued to fly between the legal teams. At one point, Anderson accused Malofiy of altering a photo of Plant and Andes hanging out backstage at a 1982 Heart concert. (Andes was a member of Heart for a decade.) Anderson and Malofiy also squabbled when a deposition video featured an unsanctioned discussion by Malofiy of Page and Plant's drug use. While it's impossible to say at this point which side will prevail in "Michael Skidmore vs. Led Zeppelin et al," by the end of the trial's second day, Malofiy had racked up sustained objections in the double digits, at times exasperating the presiding magistrate. (At one point during Malofiy's questioning, Judge Klausner yelled out "Sustained!' even before the defense had time to object.)

Klausner castigated Malofiy repeatedly from the bench, at one point asking the attorney, "How many times can you beat a dead horse?" At another juncture, Malofiy disappeared from the courtroom for several minutes in search of an errant witness. Indeed, as the trial wound down at Klausner's preferred end time of 4:00 p.m., Page was still mid-testimony. While he was certain to return to the stand in the trial's third day, he seemed ready to pass the baton. "I think Mr. Plant might be better at answering these questions," he noted.

Sidebar:Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' Trial, Day 3: The 'Mary Poppins' Connection

Day three of the copyright infringement trial between Led Zeppelin and Sixties rockers Spirit over the authorship of "Stairway to Heaven" continued with the plaintiffs' contentious examination of iconic Zeppelin guitarist and songwriter Jimmy Page.
Expectations were high that attendees would be treated to a possible courtroom performance from Page and his co-defendant, Zeppelin singer Robert Plant. As on Wednesday, Page entered chambers with a guitar, though on Thursday, a Yamaha electric piano was also rolled in behind him. Alas, Francis Malofiy - the counsel representing the suit brought by Michael Skidmore, trustee of the estate of Spirit guitarist Randy "California" Wolfe - began by attempting to get Page to admit he might've heard and been influenced by "Taurus," a Spirit instrumental composed by Wolfe. Page gave Malofiy no quarter: When asked on the stand if he was able to read and write music, Page replied, "To a degree."

Presiding judge Gary Klausner frequently reprimanded Malofiy, demanding he focus his inquiry only on the similarity between "Stairway" and the "deposit copy" (the sheet music transcription of "Taurus" deposited in the Library of Congress). A prolonged conversation about the musical structure, rhythms, arpeggiation and chording of "Stairway" found the guitarist often befuddled by Malofiy's queries. One entertaining moment, however, occurred when Malofiy played the Mary Poppins classic "Chim Chim Cher-ee" from the Disney film to discuss its use by Page as a potential inspiration for "Stairway," causing the rock legend to smile broadly. Malofiy's rambling and pauses caused Judge Klausner to exclaim "you're wasting a lot of time" - a refrain that would be repeated throughout Malofiy's examinations.

The potential for a mistrial appeared to become an increasing possibility. Led Zeppelin's lawyer, Peter Anderson, objected about the plaintiffs not providing evidence discussed in the trial. "We don't believe this is an exhibition produced by us or provided to us by the plaintiff," Anderson said about an audio recording of a vintage Page interview for the rock mag Zig Zag.

Anderson also claimed Malofiy had presented to Page a "composite document," a batch of multiple documents combined into one - forbidden, as it obscures for the opposing counsel what's being referred during witness examination. The defense also claimed that Malofiy had attempted to influence the proceedings with contracts signed by Page that had been deemed confidential during pre-trial. "The discovery [in this trial] has been abominable!" Judge Klausner exclaimed upon yet another such objection sustained against Malofiy.

The Spirit/"Taurus" side may have scored, however, when they called their expert witness Dr. Alexander Stewart, a musicologist, professional saxophonist and music professor at the University of Vermont. The most credible, sympathetic and compelling witness to take the stand in the trial other than Page himself, Dr. Stewart cogently and clearly explained the sophisticated music theory at issue for the first time during the proceedings.

More significantly, he powerfully described the close similarities between the compositions, and scrappily held his own under a tough cross-examination by Zeppelin's counsel. Particularly damning was Dr. Stewart's analysis that, in their chord progressions, both "Taurus" and "Stairway" "in an unusual way" skip the "E" before resolving on an "A" note. Under oath, he claimed that this was unlike any of the 65 "prior art" examples of compositions using similar chordal and compositional structures submitted by the defense (including Henry Purcell's "Dido’s Lament," the Beatles' "Michelle" and the standard "My Funny Valentine").

Stewart also affirmed that none of the "prior art" examples have the "unique and distinctive elements" that "Taurus" and "Stairway" share, and that are protectable under copyright law. Dr. Stewart also pointed out that the analyses presented as evidence by the defense’s expert witness, the noted musicologist Lawrence Ferrara, did not take into account the treble clef in the sheet music for "Taurus," which accounts for "55 percent of the notes [in the song]." "Of the 43 different pitches between the compositions, not a single one is different," Stewart testified. (Day 3 of "Michael Skidmore vs. Led Zeppelin et al" also featured Kevin Hanson - a guitarist who has performed and recorded with Jay Z, Usher, The Roots, Jill Scott and the Isley Brothers - testifying on behalf of the plaintiff.)

The plaintiff did reveal what may be its key advantage. A major point in both sides' cases is the statute of limitations around "Stairway" royalties. Through examination of Page, Malofiy revealed that a previously unreleased version of "Stairway" - included in a companion disc of alternate mixes from Led Zeppelin IV done by Page and engineer Andy Johns as part of a recent series of Zeppelin reissues - may actually be liable under the three-year statute of limitations at issue in the case.

It was a moment of actual tension in what was otherwise a relentless barrage of tedious legalese, suggesting that no assumptions can be made yet about who will prevail in "Michael Skidmore vs. Led Zeppelin et al." As a comment by Robert Plant made in another 1970s-era interview played for the court stated, hopefully "good will will prevail and logic will reign over the whole thing."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ts-up-20160616
Old 06-17-16, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it's not a ripoff but more than likely an homage to Goblin's music to Dario Argento's "Tenebrae"; but I love how Justice integrated the theme music in their song 'Phantom'
Old 06-23-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Led Zeppelin Did Not Steal ‘Stairway to Heaven,’ Jury Says

LOS ANGELES — Led Zeppelin did not steal the opening riff of its classic rock anthem “Stairway to Heaven,” a federal jury ruled here on Thursday, giving the band a victory in a copyright case in which millions of dollars were at stake.

The case pitted an obscure song from the margins of rock history against one of the canonical hits of the genre. The suit was filed two years ago by Michael Skidmore, a trustee for the songs of Randy Wolfe, a member of the band Spirit. It contends that the Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page and Robert Plant had lifted substantial portions of the Spirit song “Taurus,” from 1968, for the beginning of “Stairway to Heaven,” which was released in 1971 and, by some estimates, has earned more than $500 million.

Mr. Wolfe died in 1997 and complained of the similarity in interviews but never brought a suit. The case was filed shortly after a Supreme Court ruling allowed copyright infringement cases to go forward even after long delays.

Lawyers for Mr. Skidmore presented evidence showing that the bands crossed paths while touring early in their careers, as well as testimony from music experts saying that both songs shared a similar chord progression and, most distinctively, a descending bass line in a chromatic scale.

Mr. Plant and Mr. Page both testified that “Stairway to Heaven” had been composed independently, and that while both bands had played on the same bill a handful of times, they did not recall ever seeing Spirit perform and had no familiarity with “Taurus” until the lawsuit was brought.

“I didn’t remember it then, and I don’t remember it now,” Mr. Plant said.

The jury found that, although Mr. Page and Mr. Plant had access to “Taurus” before the release of “Stairway to Heaven,” the two songs’ original elements did not contain enough similarities. Before reaching the verdict on Thursday, the jury asked to listen to audio recordings of the introductions to both songs twice.

“We are grateful for the jury’s conscientious service and pleased that it has ruled in our favor, putting to rest questions about the origins of ‘Stairway to Heaven’ and confirming what we have known for 45 years,” Mr. Plant and Mr. Page said in a statement on Thursday.

The plaintiff’s lawyer, Francis Malofiy, said an appeal was being considered.

The statute of limitations for past copyright infringement is three years. The two sides presented widely different estimates of Led Zeppelin’s earnings from 2011 to 2014, when the case was filed.

Experts for the plaintiff pointed to a $60 million music publishing deal that Mr. Page and Mr. Plant signed with Warner Music and suggested that a large portion of that could be attributed to “Stairway.” But later in the trial, an accountant called by Led Zeppelin’s side put the amounts at $615,000 for Mr. Page and $532,000 for Mr. Plant.

The trial was the second major case in a year to involve copyright issues and the music industry, after Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were ordered to pay $5.3 million to the family of Marvin Gaye over their 2013 hit “Blurred Lines.” That case, which has been appealed, has led to a wide debate in the music world over the limits of copyright protection, and whether the musical elements of homage — a song’s atmospherics, rhythms and overall “feel” — can cross the line into infringement.
Old 06-24-16, 03:54 PM

Elastica's "Connection" rips off The Wire's "Three Girl Rhumba".
Old 06-27-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Taylor Swifts 'Shake it off' takes many beats from Toni Basil 'Oh Mickey.' Just listen to the first few beats each song and they are exactly alike.

I never knew that when Prince wrote 'Purple Rain', he called Journey and asked them if it sounded too much like 'Faithfully'? Journey was fine with the song, and no legal action was ever taken.
Old 11-04-16, 08:30 PM

Devil Knows by Widowspeak reminds me of U2's In God's Country and the Cars' Bye Bye Love.
Old 11-15-16, 05:53 PM

The Strokes' Threat of Joy borrows from The Meeting Places' On Our Own.
Old 11-16-16, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE

Mashed together:

That's actually really great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.