Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-07-09, 09:06 PM   #1
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bat for Lashes: Two Suns

Anyone else pick this up?

I've only listened to it once, and my first impression is it's a good effort that avoids the sophomore slump, but I'm a bit disappointed that she's veered away from the eerie Donnie Darko style of Fur and Gold. This album seems more like a combo of Depeche Mode, Berlin (pre-Top Gun), and Delerium.
Old 04-07-09, 10:01 PM   #2
Hollowgen
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Bat for Lashes: Two Suns

i love it. hands down one of my favorites of the year so far. "daniel" is just amazing. i liked fur and gold, but what is was lacking is made up for here.
Old 04-08-09, 03:18 AM   #3
Perkinsun Dzees
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Been listening to this for the last week and diggin' it. I don't think it's a significant step forward for her but the album sounds more cohesive if less immediately catchy than before (aside from the single "Daniel"). I still get a Bjork/Kate Bush/Sarah McLachlan vibe from her, but there's not as much Bjorkiness here as on her first album.
Old 04-12-09, 01:23 AM   #4
magman

Luv it. Great CD.
Old 04-16-09, 10:06 PM   #5
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

I just saw her video for What's a Girl To Do (Yeah I'm a bit late to the game, video is brilliant in its eerie simplicity) but good to know the Donnie Darko vibe is well recognized haha.

I'm not sure how I feel about Two Suns just yet, it's a bit too mellow for my taste but I love her voice.
Old 04-20-09, 01:15 PM   #6
GenPion
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't picked it up yet but I plan to. This is one of the albums I am most looking forward to. I heard some of the new tracks on her website and they all sound great.

I'm a fan of her first album, as it is excellent, but this new music sounds even better based on the few tracks I've heard.
Old 04-20-09, 08:29 PM   #7
Hollowgen
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about Two Suns just yet, it's a bit too mellow for my taste but I love her voice.
i'm not sure why you (and some others here, apparently) feel that way. this album has way more upbeat songs than the last one; which while good, dragged on a bit in the middle due to "mellow" songs.
Old 04-21-09, 05:30 PM   #8
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgen View Post
i'm not sure why you (and some others here, apparently) feel that way. this album has way more upbeat songs than the last one; which while good, dragged on a bit in the middle due to "mellow" songs.
I'm completely new to Bat for Lashes, so I actually hadn't heard much of Fur and Gold when I posted. Going purely off Two Suns, it's still a tad mellow for my taste.