Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Elvis Costello: Secret, Profane & Sugarcane - June 2, 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-23-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracklisting:

1 Down Among The Wine And Spirits
2 Complicated Shadows
3 I Felt The Chill
4 My All Time Doll
5 Hidden Shame
6 She Handed Me A Mirror
7 I Dreamed Of My Old Lover
8 How Deep Is The Red
9 She Was No Good
10 Sulfur To Sugarcane
11 Red Cotton
12 The Crooked Line
13 Changing Partners

from stereogum:

Elvis Costello Set To Release Secret, Profane & Sugarcane LP

Spectacle host and Jenny Lewis BFF Elvis Costello is following up last year's Momofuku in early June with the mostly acoustic Secret, Profane & Sugarcane. It was produced by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' pal -- and, more importantly, King Of America and Spike knob-turner -- T Bone Burnett during a three-day session in Nashville. A handful of country and bluegrass musicians including Jerry Douglas (dobro), Stuart Duncan (fiddle), Mike Compton (mandolin), Jeff Taylor (accordion) and Dennis Crouch (double bass) helped out. Fans heard some of the songs during Costello's 2007 The Bob Dylan Show sets. There are also ten brand new tracks, including two co-written with Burnett ("Sulphur to Sugarcane" and "The Crooked Line") and a collaboration with Loretta Lynn ("I Felt The Chill"). Extending the twang, two older songs, both originally written for Johnny Cash, were rearranged for string band and stamped by Costello. Tony Millionaire's album art is quite handsome.

[Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane & Sugarcane Album Art]

The title's a reference to "The Secret Songs," Costello's unfinished Royal Danish Opera-commissioned work about the life of Hans Christian Andersen. The Danish fairytale writer shows up via his relationship with singer Jenny Lind in Secret's "She Handed Me A Mirror" and "How Deep Is The Red." Then Lind, appropriately, takes center stage in "She Was No Good." The song deals with her P.T. Barnum-promoted "All-American" tour in 1850, ergo Barnum's the focus of "Red Cotton." So, yes, there's more going on here than a new mustache.

The vinyl edition will include a cover of the Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale" and Costello's sequel to the Appalachian murder ballad "Omie Wise," which he's calling "What Lewis Did Last." The first single "Complicated Shadows" was previously on Elvis & the Attractions' '96 album All This Useless Beauty, and appeared in the third episode of The Sopranos. This version will presumably have a T Bone/Secret twist. It'll be released as a 7" backed by "Dirty Rotten Shame" on 4/18.

Secret, Profane & Sugarcane is out 6/2 via Starbuck's Hear Music. That's right, you'll have to buy it with your sugary latte. Costello will be out on tour with musicians from the album ("The Sugarcanes") in June and August.

-------------

Always look forward to new E. Costello. This sounds promising.
Old 03-23-09, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Elvis Costello: Secret, Profane & Sugarcane - June 2, 2009

I love Costello and thought Momofuku was great. Complicated Shadows is one of my favorite songs of his.
I wish the vinyl exclusives were on the CD but I guess I'll just try to download them sometime.
I'll pick this up when amazon has it for under $10
Old 03-23-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

He rarely disappoints, so I'm sure this will be decent
Old 03-23-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

love that cover art.
Old 03-24-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Momofuku was an underrated album.
Old 03-25-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, has anyone watched Costello's show on the Sundance Channel? Of course, my cable co doesn't offer the channel and it doesn't appear online anywhere legally or illegally.
Old 03-25-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
By the way, has anyone watched Costello's show on the Sundance Channel? Of course, my cable co doesn't offer the channel and it doesn't appear online anywhere legally or illegally.
Yes it's a great show. Too many fantastic episodes to mention but the Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, John Mellencamp/Kris Kristofferson/Rosanne Cash/Norah Jones and She and Him/Jakob Dylan episodes were all great.
Old 03-25-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Yes it's a great show. Too many fantastic episodes to mention but the Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, John Mellencamp/Kris Kristofferson/Rosanne Cash/Norah Jones and She and Him/Jakob Dylan episodes were all great.
as were Lou Reed and President Clinton as well. I sure hope this series turns up on dvd with additional performances as extras.
Old 04-08-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
Elvis Costello interviewing Lou Reed. And I don't have the channel.
Old 04-09-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in. I loved Momofuku also.
Old 05-26-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole thing is streaming at: http://www.elviscostello.com/
Old 05-26-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The whole thing is streaming at: http://www.elviscostello.com/
Listening to it now. Sounds pretty good. Strange that he re-recorded Complicated Shadows. Not all that different from the version on All This Useless Beauty.
Old 05-26-09, 08:36 PM

Can't wait! I've got great seats to see him at the Ryman in a few weeks, should be an awesome show.
Old 05-26-09, 09:37 PM
Banned

What I listened to was extremely disappointing. One of the most disappointing albums I've heard in years and some of Costello's weakest material I have ever heard. I HATE country music though so maybe thats why I am not digging this alum. The New Complicated Shadows sucks. I will not be buying this album.
Old 05-26-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not crazy about it either, and I really like Almost Blue and King Of America. It's not horrible, just not really my thing.
Old 05-26-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fsubruce
Can't wait! I've got great seats to see him at the Ryman in a few weeks, should be an awesome show.
Have you ever seen him at the Ryman, I have been to 4 different shows of his there. There is not a bad seat in the place. Also if you have not gotten tickets, they are usually for sale for about $10-$20 a ticket right before the show.
Old 05-26-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
What I listened to was extremely disappointing. One of the most disappointing albums I've heard in years and some of Costello's weakest material I have ever heard. I HATE country music though so maybe thats why I am not digging this alum. The New Complicated Shadows sucks. I will not be buying this album.
Not a fan of Almost Blue, eh?

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Last edited by CRM114; 05-26-09 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by funstan
Have you ever seen him at the Ryman, I have been to 4 different shows of his there. There is not a bad seat in the place. Also if you have not gotten tickets, they are usually for sale for about $10-$20 a ticket right before the show.
No, I just moved to Nashville last fall so this will be my first concert at the Ryman. I was able to get seats in the sixth row on the floor so it was worth paying full price. Are you going?
Old 05-28-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fsubruce
No, I just moved to Nashville last fall so this will be my first concert at the Ryman. I was able to get seats in the sixth row on the floor so it was worth paying full price. Are you going?
Possibly, I am getting married next weekend and we have to move. I may see if I can score some cheap tickets. One thing is certain since this is a folk EC tour and not a rock EC tour, Elvis loves Nashville and Nashville loves Elvis right back. Do not be surprised to see many of Nashville's finest musicians come out and play with him. 4 years ago, Emmylou came out and they sang about 6 songs together, it led to a summer tour between the two. Last year, Jim Lauderdale came out and sang Femme Fatale with him. Jim is awesome, he still wheres the Nudie suits made famous by Porter Waggoner and Gram Parsons. Also, since he is promoting vinyl, do not be surprised if he has a record signing the next day. He signed at Grimey's last year. It was not a long line but a long wait. He is chatty and spends time talking to each and every person who he signs for.
Old 06-01-09, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it ain't no King Of America, but I didn't expect it (King is one of his best albums). I just really haven't been crazy about anything Elvis has done since, geez, the late 80's. Including Momofuku, which was a slight uptick in quality songs. The new one does sound like it was recorded quickly as reported. I like a good deal of T-Bone stamped material. The Plant/Krauss disc was one of my favorite of 00's. Anyway, it's not awful, just not that compelling.
Old 06-02-09, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone know how much Starbucks is charging for this (the album's on the chain's label)?
Old 06-02-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI, this album is on emusic.com.

I love when that happens.
Old 06-07-09, 09:09 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Great album. Old-style country with Costello-esque lyrical twists. Be sure to read the "description" of each song in the liner notes, i.e., "Former-Champion Prizefighter Discovers His Name Printed Just Above The Liquor Licensee" for "Down Among the Wines and Spirits."

Recalls Townes Van Zandt, and that can only be good. Also, produced by T-Bone Burnett, who, I believe, has yet to put his name on a bad album.
Old 06-08-09, 09:28 AM
Banned

Big fan of Costello, and he rarely disappoints. Definitely check this out.
Old 06-08-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not rushing to grab this one but will soon, I love the cover art. I think he's done a lot of great stuff in the last 10 years, "When I Was Cruel" easily stands with his best work. Only "North" do I find almost unlistenable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.