Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper

Originally Posted by rw2516
I agree. He was way ahead of the pack. The unreleased recordings he was working on sound like stuff from the mid 60s. I believe he would have survived the transition to the rock era and been a contemporary of The Beatles, Stones, Clapton, etc.
Did any of the 50s guys have much relevance post-cultural revolution? The hippies seemed to reject anything that came before.

Elvis' star had begun to fade, and people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison didn't fit in with the new pop culture. I could see Buddy Holly following a similar trajectory. And, like Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis, he probably would have seen a rekindled interest around the late 80s.
Old 02-05-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Did any of the 50s guys have much relevance post-cultural revolution? The hippies seemed to reject anything that came before.

Elvis' star had begun to fade, and people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison didn't fit in with the new pop culture. I could see Buddy Holly following a similar trajectory. And, like Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis, he probably would have seen a rekindled interest around the late 80s.
Elvis was stuck making those horrible films in the 60's thanks to Col. Parker. I often wonder what his career would have been if he would have be allowed to continue to make music instead of making those awful soundtracks and films? But like you said, I doubt the hippies would have accepted him anyway because of his popularity in the 50's.
Old 02-05-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I dunno, I could see Buddy re-inventing himself as time went on. Sort of like how the Beatles (and remember, they took the name "Beatles" as an homage to "Crickets") went from the cute moptop boys of Love me Do to the more harder-edged and experimental music they were playing on The White Album.
Old 02-06-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I look at it this way...Buddy was a massive influence on The Beatles who in turn influenced almost everybody. So Buddy's influence was substantial on past the 50's and 60's. And that is just one group.
Old 02-03-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Remembering the Anniversary of this Tragedy....
Old 02-03-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Oh man, 2017's turning out to be as bad as 2016.