Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Dixie Chicks?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What happened to the Dixie Chicks?

Old 11-09-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
The Dixie Chicks are the world's GREATEST BAND!

They can take their time making a new record or make 3 in one year...and you should be grateful to the almighty that you live in a world where it is possible to even hear the wonderful music that they make.

And if you never hear anything from them again, your life has been blessed a million times over just for having lived during the time when the Dixie Chicks reigned supreme and when a new generation found a Beatles of their own.
God, I hope that was meant as a joke.
Old 11-09-08, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
you're aware that Obama won because people are sick of the neo-conservative bigotry, right?
Old 11-09-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
This is not a political thread. Go to the politics forum if you want to have a political argument.
Old 11-09-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
no, it wasn't
Old 11-09-08, 05:21 PM

no, it wasn't
Old 11-10-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
you're aware that Obama won because people are sick of the neo-conservative bigotry, right?
Really? I thought it was because the GOP put forward a pitiful candidate and the press went balls to the wall to cover for Obama.

/facepalm

Silly me.

Ob: Dixies. Going to a foreign country and trashing your president doesn't sit well in certain quarters, which just happened to be their fan base.

Coming back home and saying, in so many words, country fans are just dumb rednecks anyway and we're gonna go for the pop market when country fans were still the bulk of your fans? FAIL.
Old 11-10-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
This is not a political thread. Go to the politics forum if you want to have a political argument.
You do realize that's an impossible request given who is being discussed. There's no getting around the turning point for those girls, or the feelings said comments invoked.
Old 11-10-08, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fine, if the discussion stays on topic. Obama and McCain are in no way related. And even if you wish to discuss the fiasco surrounding the Bush comment, they had a very successful album following the backlash. If they had never come back from the comment, I would understand their absence, but they did come back and I find it strange that they have been MIA for the past couple of years.
Old 11-10-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, we'll stay outta politics and stick to straight gossip, howzat?

Rumor was the sisters, while also liberally-minded, were nowhere near as gung-hu as Natalie and were actually upset that they had become so politicized, mostly at her doing. (not that they fought it) So they basically sought to distance themselves from Natalie, which was easy to do. They got busy with their families.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the politicizing of the band was what tore it apart.
Old 11-10-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it's not Natalie's band to begin with, the sisters are the original Chicks. You kind of get that feeling, especially in the documentary, that they're going, "What are you doing...????" On the other hand, I doubt very much that any of them thought there would be as big a backlash as there was.
Old 11-10-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why, because it would be wrong for me to have my opinion, no matter how much you might disagree with it?

Seriously, are you saying that I am wrong to have such an opinion?

If somebody thinks Britney Spears has the best voice EVER, that's simply their opinion and I don't see what the problem with that is.

Now, people like yourself, seem to think that if someone's opinion doesn't fall into line with yours or critics or simply the vast majority of other people, then it must be ridiculed and must be wrong. When you can quantify someone's taste in music or any other art, please get back to me.

Did I intentionally toss in some hyperbole in my post about how much I love them? Yup. Good that I could clarify that point for you.

PS-To those still whining about politics: Have ya heard, Bill Clinton got a bj from a chubby intern? The band was never torn apart. The political fallout was a sad statement about our country, not about the Dixie Chicks and especially about the quality of their music or their friendship.
Old 11-10-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Why, because it would be wrong for me to have my opinion, no matter how much you might disagree with it?

Seriously, are you saying that I am wrong to have such an opinion?

If somebody thinks Britney Spears has the best voice EVER, that's simply their opinion and I don't see what the problem with that is.

Now, people like yourself, seem to think that if someone's opinion doesn't fall into line with yours or critics or simply the vast majority of other people, then it must be ridiculed and must be wrong. When you can quantify someone's taste in music or any other art, please get back to me.

Did I intentionally toss in some hyperbole in my post about how much I love them? Yup. Good that I could clarify that point for you.

PS-To those still whining about politics: Have ya heard, Bill Clinton got a bj from a chubby intern? The band was never torn apart. The political fallout was a sad statement about our country, not about the Dixie Chicks and especially about the quality of their music or their friendship.
Old 11-10-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Well it's not Natalie's band to begin with, the sisters are the original Chicks.
That is really just a technicality....do you really believe they would be where they were/are today success-wise if she hadn't joined the group? She is the one who gave the group the "spunky/outspoken/rebellious" image long before the Bush comment...and let's face it, like it or not, over 90% of the time, the lead vocalist is the one who takes on the face and sound of a band...

I would compare Natalie's position to Eddie Vedder...he may not have been the one who started Pearl Jam (that would be Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament), but as time has passed, no one would ever say it's not HIS band at this point...
Old 11-10-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG, that was so funny and original.
Old 11-10-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
That is really just a technicality....do you really believe they would be where they were/are today success-wise if she hadn't joined the group? She is the one who gave the group the "spunky/outspoken/rebellious" image long before the Bush comment...and let's face it, like it or not, over 90% of the time, the lead vocalist is the one who takes on the face and sound of a band...

I would compare Natalie's position to Eddie Vedder...he may not have been the one who started Pearl Jam (that would be Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament), but as time has passed, no one would ever say it's not HIS band at this point...
Before Natalie joined the Dixie Chicks, they were like a fucking awful novelty band that played county fairs.
Old 11-13-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Well to answer the original question, two if not all of them got knocked up and had to deal with babies, they took a break. That's what's happened with the dixie chicks. Although yes and this point , it's become somewhat of a extended break.
Old 05-04-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Re: What happened to the Dixie Chicks?

Well, I guess we finally have an answer to 66.67% of that question:

I must say, I listened to the clips on Amazon's website and was not pleased with the results. Why would the two non-vocalists put out an album of themselves singing? Maybe it sounds better in the context of the whole album but as a somewhat devoted Dixie Chicks fan, so far I cast my vote as "Do Not Want".
Old 05-04-10, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most reviews I've seen of the duo's album have been positive.
Old 07-23-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never a huge Dixie Chick fan, but I did like some of their songs. When I first saw Court Yard Hounds on a couple of talk shows, I wasn't impressed with them. But since then, I've been listening to their CD continuously, and really enjoy it. It's definitely more towards the mellow side, but definitely worth the listen.
Old 07-23-10, 09:46 AM

I like it as well. For those who don't check the Amazon Deal of the Day thread, it's today's deal.

7/23 (Friday) s/t by Court Yard Hounds - $3.99
Old 04-17-13, 12:06 PM

It's taken nearly 3 years, but I have an answer to the other 33.33% of that question:

Natalie Maines has her solo debut, called Mother release May 7. It's light-rock more than country.

Here is the first single "Without You" (not a cover of the old Badfinger song)
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F82767998&show_artwork=false"></iframe>

I like the track and am looking forward to the album now, despite the awful album title.

Old 04-17-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I'm glad Maines is back in the biz but am still wondering when we'll answer 100% of the question. Court Yard Hounds were just not the same.

And I figured this was a bump of an old thread, but wasn't prepared for what a cluster that 2008 conversation was.
Old 04-17-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the Steve Hoffman folks are going to be flipping out at that waveform.
Old 04-17-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm glad Maines is back in the biz but am still wondering when we'll answer 100% of the question. Court Yard Hounds were just not the same.

And I figured this was a bump of an old thread, but wasn't prepared for what a cluster that 2008 conversation was.
Here is an story/interview with Maines I read last month.

She chopped her hair off and went with the Beiber look. Doesn't look like they are getting back together any time soon.
Old 04-17-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

The song doesn't really do anything for me.

At first I thought she copped out and covered her own Dixie Chicks hit "Without You". Definitely a different song.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.