Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nicole Atkins & The Sea

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nicole Atkins & The Sea

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Nicole Atkins & The Sea

This is a recent find for me. First checked out her music this past August when I was listening to all the bands playing at the Outside Lands Festival in SF. Her disc, 'Neptune City' immediately caught my ear, and has grown on me more and more ever since. I think it might even be my favorite disc of the year!

For those unfamiliar, her music is part girl-group, a bit Tom Waits, with a dash of the Jersey shore from which she hails. She has really interesting melody lines that evoke the Brill Building songwriting of the 60s, and even some show tunes. And the production matches the songs perfectly, with a nice sense of drama, yet also a sense of fun.

When I saw her live, it was more raw - she didn't even perform what I think are her two poppiest songs ('Maybe Tonight' and 'Love Surreal'), instead opting to cover Patti Smith's "Pissing In A River" in her all-too-brief 40-minute set.

I have tickets to see her again, this time at TT The Bears in Boston in November. Can't wait to hear a full show!
Old 10-27-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's definitely one of the best females acts out there right now. For comparison's sake, track down the original versions of the songs to hear how much of an improvement Rick Rubin's versions are over the relatively flat production they had initially.
Old 11-15-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Found this amazing version of Nicole's "The Way It Is". I've never heard of this singer before (Seth Avett), but in stripping down the song to it's basics, it made me appreciate it in a whole new light. It really recalls those amazing pop songs like "Unchained Melody" that you just don't hear anymore!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TI0CNYydy34&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TI0CNYydy34&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-15-08, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you like Nicole Atkins (and I do) take a look a clip of her performing on the Letterman show about a year ago.

Do a search on YouTube of 'Nicole Atkins Letterman'

Thrilling.

I can't post the url - I only registered today in order to share this clip with you as a fangirl.