Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GUNS N' ROSES: "Chinese Democracy" -11/23/08

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GUNS N' ROSES: "Chinese Democracy" -11/23/08

Old 10-22-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
sounds good to me
Old 10-22-08, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard for me to listen to a Guns N' Roses song that has computer processed drums and a synth bass (according to what i heard that leaked from the new album)
Old 10-22-08, 08:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by YourOlympicHero
Stream of the first single, "Chinese Democracy":

http://www.q1043.com/pages/news/gunsnroses/
this is the fake song to throw all the illegal downloaders off, right?
Old 10-22-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I had kind of hoped this wouldn't be released until after Axl's death.
Old 10-22-08, 09:02 PM
Banned

Sounds goodto me. Overall more generic than I was hoping but Axl's still got his voice and I really like a few of the songs, Street of Dreams and There was a Time especially. The MLK sample on Madagascar is lame though. Guess he's tryin' to make amends for One in a Million.
Old 10-22-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This new final version of Chinese Democracy is definately an improvement of the leaked version I heard. It actually gives me a little hope for the CD. I have been pretty critical of the leaked songs with the exception of like two or three.
Old 10-22-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, with the single being out and finally an official announcement of the 11/23 release date, I believe there's a 50% chance this will come out this year.

Based on the recordings I've heard, I believe there's a 80% chance that it will suck. I'm hoping it will not.
Old 10-22-08, 11:32 PM

I was so disappointed hearing the demos. After listening to the official single release today, I must say I have new hope. I'm actually excited about the release now.
Old 10-23-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by greg9x
People still care about this ????
Apparently you cared enough to come in and read/post in the thread.
Old 10-23-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
This has "St. Anger"-style disaster written all over it.

Though we can hope that the suckiness of "Chinese Democracy" forces Axl's hand and gets the old band (with Duff and Slash and Izzy) back together. After all, "St. Anger" begot "Death Magnetic."
Old 10-23-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FuQ
Wow...I didn't realize that if you aren't interested then none of us should. Keep your comments to yourself.
and
Originally Posted by kilcher
Apparently you cared enough to come in and read/post in the thread.
This 'release' has been the biggest joke for way too long.... it's not GnR, no one is impressed with the songs, Axl is just laughable...
Even if it is finally officially released why does anyone care ?? But the thread title drew me in to see what the answer to that question would be... but it seems the majority thinks it's silly too.

Was just passing by... won't step on anymore feelings.
Old 10-23-08, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only good thing about this is the free Dr. Pepper.
Old 10-23-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver clothesoff
press release from best buy/geffen:

Minneapolis, october 22, 2008 – best buy and geffen records announced that one of the most highly anticipated albums of all time, guns n’ roses’ chinese democracy, will be available beginning nov. 23 at best buy and bestbuy.com on cd, vinyl, and digital downloads. The title track, the first single from the album, was released to radio today, october 22. Chinese democracy is the first album of new material from one of rock’s most influential bands since the 1991 simultaneous releases of use your illusion i and use your illusion ii.

“the release of chinese democracy marks a historic moment in rock n’ roll,” said co-managers irving azoff and andy gould. “we’re launching with a monumental campaign developed by gary arnold and the best buy team that matches the groundbreaking sound of the album itself. guns n’ roses fans have every reason to be sad this crap band is being called guns n' roses.

“chinese democracy is one of the most highly anticipated albums in music history, and best buy is thrilled to deliver this explosive and previously elusive release to guns n’ roses fans. Longtime fans will be rewarded for their patience and loyalty to this great band, while a new generation of fans will be blown away,” said gary arnold, senior entertainment officer for best buy. “axl rose is one of the most dynamic and gifted writers and performers in modern music. Best buy is excited to work with axl to make the release of chinese democracy the musical event of 2008!” my sides hurt from laughing!

“guns n’ roses was the premier american rock band,” commented steve berman, president, sales and marketing, interscope geffen a&m records. “partnering with gary and everyone at best buy to release one of rock’s most anticipated and legendary albums is truly a moment in music history. We’re thrilled to be able to announce that chinese democracy is coming, it’s coming this year, and it’s coming to best buy.” i will believe it when i see it.

produced by axl rose and caram costanzo, the album, which will be released on black frog/geffen records, includes 14 tracks. “shackler’s revenge” debuted september 14 through the rock band 2 videogame and “if the world” can be heard in the film body of lies, which premiered on october 11.

Chinese democracy is being released in three formats: Cd, vinyl lp (with a free digital download of the tracks), and as a digital album. Pre-orders at www.bestbuy.com/chinesedemocracy begin today.
fixed
Old 10-23-08, 09:00 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Not a fan of the first single. Will probably still pick this up even though the leaked tracks haven't impressed me much either.
Old 10-23-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah, that was funny. The "premier American rock band." What a load. 20 years ago maybe.
Old 10-23-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Lateralus
The only good thing about this is the free Dr. Pepper.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=107498
Old 10-23-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I just heard Shackler's Revenge on Rock Band 2. While it's not a horrible song it A)sounds nothing like GNR to me, and B) doesn't deserve 1/100th of the hype it's going to get.

Easy pass on this one. I doubt it will sell half of what Death Magnetic sold.
Old 10-23-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Shackler's Revenge a lot. The title track isn't as good, but I still like it.
Old 10-25-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp
Old 10-25-08, 03:57 AM
Suspended

Sounds good, a little overproduced, but otherwise a damn fine song!
Old 10-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new single isn't that bad, but I think you have to place it in the context that this is truly an Axl Rose solo album; it's G'NR in name only. There is very little musically that harks back to any of the music written under the G'NR moniker. I still firmly believe that people would be much more accepting of this project if it was being marketed as a solo release.
Old 10-25-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy
The new single isn't that bad, but I think you have to place it in the context that this is truly an Axl Rose solo album; it's G'NR in name only. There is very little musically that harks back to any of the music written under the G'NR moniker. I still firmly believe that people would be much more accepting of this project if it was being marketed as a solo release.
I agree 100%. If this was called an Axl Rose solo album, I would have no problem with it. But to call this crap Guns N' Roses is a disgrace to a once great band name.

Thanks for the poster who posted the Dr Pepper info. If pigs do fly on November 23rd and this load of bull is released, I want my free Dr. Pepper.
Old 10-25-08, 03:32 PM

But it wouldn't sell nearly as many copies...
Old 10-25-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no one is impressed with the songs, Axl is just laughable...
No one? So now you speak for everyone here? You know exactly what my thoughts are on these songs?? If you had such excellent psychic powers, I am sure the CIA would like a word with you....

Even if it is finally officially released why does anyone care ??
Because some of us are still fans?
Some of us actually do like the new songs?
Some of us have been waiting a decade for this album and are glad we will finally get a real final product and not just demo mp3s?

I'm not a fool....I know the majority of people will simply not accept anything labeled GNR due to the lack of the the other "most famous" band members (I refuse to call Slash an "original" member though, considering he actually was not the band's FIRST guitarist)....I just do not dwell on the fact that it's called GNR and expect to hear Appetite part 2....

Look, if you hate the new GNR, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...I personally hate 99% of country music, but you don't see me jumping into a country music thread and stating "why does anyone care about this crap?", or "no one is impressed with this shit"....
Old 10-25-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still firmly believe that people would be much more accepting of this project if it was being marketed as a solo release.
People would be more accepting of this project if it had come out 6 or 7 years ago. The perpetual promises and pushing back of release dates is a lot of baggage for any fan to get over.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.