Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I Walk the Lizzle: Johnny Cash Remixed comes out in January

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Snoop Dogg to Remix Johnny Cash in WTF? News of the Day
posted by: Nathan RabinOctober 15, 2008 - 3:47pm

Throughout his lifetime Johnny Cash was criticized incessantly for never collaborating with Snoop Dogg. The bizarre dearth of Snoop Dogg/Johnny Cash joints represented an inexplicable oversight in Cash's otherwise legendary career. Well, it looks like a new remix tribute to the late country icon is going to give fans the Cash/Dogg mash-up they've been hungering for since The Chronic first dropped. Dogg will be Executive Producing, along with John "Johnny's Son" Carter Cash and Matthew "Beyonce's Dad" Knowles, a Johnny Cash remix album creatively entitled Johnny Cash Remixed that features "I Walk The Line", the classic updated by Dogg and production partners Teddy Riley and DJ Quik. So, you know, you got that to look forward to. The disc will hit stores early next year. Here's the press release:

JOHNNY CASH REMIXED CD AND DVD DOCUMENTARY SET FOR JANUARY 27 RELEASE ON COMPADRE RECORDS

Iconic Artist's Sun Records Masters Remixed - Artists featured include Snoop Dogg

(Houston, TX) Compadre Records/Music World Music has announced the release of JOHNNY CASH REMIXED, featuring bold new interpretations of Johnny Cash classics from top music remixers and producers who were recruited to take the original master recordings and infuse them with the sounds and technology of modern music styles such as hip hop and dance music. The album, which includes a performance from Snoop Dogg, will be available in stores and online on January 27. A vinyl deluxe-edition will be available on September 23 in select independent record stores.

Johnny Cash Remixed is a tribute to the legacy of an American music icon whose work has touched every contemporary genre, and has the blessing and support of the custodians of Johnny Cash's legacy.

"My father made his stead by defying the expected and accepted way of things" says John Carter Cash son of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash and Executive Producer of the Academy Award(c)-winning film, Walk the Line. "He set the standard at the same time. He would have loved this remix record. While it stays true to the original recordings, this CD touches on undiscovered ground. This is what my father was about: staying true to tradition while creating groundbreaking new music."

Johnny Cash classics were licensed from Cash's first record label, the legendary Sun Records, also the first record label home of luminaries such as Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison. The original tracks, recorded with Cash's first band the Tennessee Two from 1956-1959, were pure and stark, with only the essentials; guitar, light percussion and Johnny Cash's unmistakable voice and presence. The new mixes maintain this fantastic charm and personality while filing out the sound and creating daring re-interpretations.

The remixed tracks (and remixers) include "I Walkte The Line" featuring Snoop Dogg (QDT, the new production team led by Snoop Dogg - featuring Snoop, Teddy Riley and DJ Quik), "Country Boy" (Sonny J, whose album was released in August on Astralwerks US), "Get Rhythm" (Philip Steir, the only remixer allowed to work with the Reprise Records Frank Sinatra collection), "Leave that Junk Alone" (Alabama 3, creators of The Sopranos theme song), "Folsom Prison Blues" (the legendary Pete Rock), "Hey Porter" (Mocean Worker, whose remix of Elvis Presley's "Burnin' Love" was used as a soundtrack to Honda's Superbowl TV commercial), "Sugartime" (Kennedy, cornerstone of the new UK Dirty Pop movement), "Trail To Mexico" (indie favorite Mexican Institute of Sound/MIS), "Doin' My Time" (The Heavy, critically-acclaimed UK-based band) and "Wide Open Road" (Count de Money) among others.

A documentary following the making will be included with the album, and was produced by Phear Creative in NYC. This short film features interviews from select remixers, filmed in their home studios, including Snoop Dogg captured at the Cash Recording Cabin in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

Johnny Cash Remixed is Executive Produced by John Carter Cash, Snoop Dogg, and Mathew Knowles for Music World Productions, Inc. and Co-Executive Produced by Brad Turcotte for Compadre Records/Music World Music and Gregg DeMammos for DeMammos Entertainment.

http://www.avclub.com/content/newswi...o_remix_johnny
Official site: http://www.johnnycashremixed.com/

I've got to say that I'm morbidly curious about this. It won't be the first time that I've heard Cash remixed. I've got a remix of "Ring of Fire" done by Team Canada and DJ AM from the Hail the DJ! CD that's actually kind of fun (it's got some Clint Eastwood spaghetti western dialogue thrown into it).

Plus, I'm not one of those who thinks projects like this one tarnish an artist's legacy (especially one of Cash's stature). It's not like all of Cash's classics will be taken off of the shelves and only this remix album will be available. I can listen to his original stuff any time I want. This album will be forgotten shortly after its release, I'd think.

Last edited by DJLinus; 10-16-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fuck. this. shit.
Old 10-16-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I'm also strangely intrigued.
Old 10-16-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There has never been a good remix.
Old 10-16-08, 06:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts
^^
Nine Inch Nails
Fixed > Broken
Old 10-16-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
There are a lot of good remixes done by electronic artists. The Crystal Method and Bassnectar have both spun some really cool remixes when doing "live" shows. As to who originally created the remixes, I have no idea.
Old 10-16-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You got this out of The Onion, didn't you?
Old 10-16-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Johnny Cash was a hip dude that had immense respect for modern artists, but after listening to some of those samples, I'm pretty sure he would would agree that this project is dogshit.
Old 10-17-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Johnny Cash was a hip dude that had immense respect for modern artists, but after listening to some of those samples, I'm pretty sure he would would agree that this project is dogshit.
ahem...I believe you meant to say dogshizzle.

I think its a perfectly Sane thing to do.
In fact I will listen to the remixes right now.
....Interesting texture...ohmygoDddd....(sounds of vomit)

ok I stand corrected
Old 10-17-08, 10:06 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Official site: http://www.johnnycashremixed.com/

I've got to say that I'm morbidly curious about this. It won't be the first time that I've heard Cash remixed. I've got a remix of "Ring of Fire" done by Team Canada and DJ AM from the Hail the DJ! CD that's actually kind of fun (it's got some Clint Eastwood spaghetti western dialogue thrown into it).

Plus, I'm not one of those who thinks projects like this one tarnish an artist's legacy (especially one of Cash's stature). It's not like all of Cash's classics will be taken off of the shelves and only this remix album will be available. I can listen to his original stuff any time I want. This album will be forgotten shortly after its release, I'd think.
I am going to have to check that other remix out, since it sounds cool from your description.

However, I have to disagree with a few other posters, there are good remixes out there, but most are garbage. In my travels, most of the good remixes are done by guys who are more underground or have experience in the area of DJ'ing prior to making a remix.
Old 10-17-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
You got this out of The Onion, didn't you?
Close. He got it out of The Onion AV Club.
Old 10-17-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is as bad as when Slayer was reworked into a hip-hop song. Rick Rubin is a fucking douche sometimes.
Old 10-17-08, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have enjoyed the jazz remix projects that have been coming out for the past few years and I've always been in love with jazz music. I enjoy Cash, but would hardly call myself a big fan. I can give this a listen.
Old 10-17-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow the first track of walk the line is garbage.
Old 10-20-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There has never been a good remix.
someone obviously doesn't follow Yoko Ono's career. Remixes have made her more listenable to a lot of people
Old 10-25-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I agree that there is no risk whatsoever to Johnny Cash's legacy. I disagree with the "Rick Rubin can be a double douche" remark. Maybe he can, I don't know the guy, but he has no attachment to this project. No, the real one out on a limb is John Carter Cash. He risks losing his stature as custodian of the Cash estate and being re-branded as nothing more than a grave-robbing gold digger. Maybe I'll like the project, maybe I won't, but he can't afford another major question mark after this if he wants us to take him seriously vis a vis his father's recordings and the integrity of the estate.
Old 10-25-08, 08:59 PM
Banned

Is lynching still illegal?
Old 10-25-08, 09:26 PM

Most of the samples on the site are pretty bad, although Apparat's "Lonesome Whistle Blow" mix is surprisingly good.

Not part of this album, but I like the mash-up with Wu-Tang: "J-C-R-E-A-M"