Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Emusic recommendations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Need Emusic recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Need Emusic recommendations

For those of you who still have credits left and/or still haven't cancelled, there are some nice deals as part of the "Celebrate 25 Years of Nettwerk" sale:

http://www.emusic.com/features/hub/n...ale/index.html

I already own a number of them (Ivy, The Be Good Tanyas, The Submarines, Ladytron, fun.), but I grabbed both of The Weepies albums with my final batch of credits.
Old 11-30-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I only join eMusic when they throw 75 free songs at me, making it a total of 100 for around $10.
Same here, although I did stick around a couple of months when they gave me a "don't cancel, here's more free credits" deals. The newest deal I've gotten since the changeover is $12.00 in free credit, which amounts to around 2 albums.
Old 12-01-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to cancel the other day and they threw a whole free month at me. I'm not gonna turn down $30 in free music. Apparently if I were to stick around, I'd also get $6 in "bonus" credit each month (the bonus credit varies depending on what plan you were on at the changeover). I'll still probably cancel after my "free" month though.
Old 12-01-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm stuck with emusic for 9 more months as I've got an annual account that renewed a month before they announced these new changes. So far I'm hating almost everything about the latest "improvements".

Non-standard pricing per song now makes it much harder to plan ahead on what to get each month. If I had 17 credits left, I knew I could get a 12 credit album and find an interesting 5 track EP to finish out the month. Now if I've got, say, $2.50 left I can still search for a 5 track EP- but when I find something there the price could be the expected $2.50 or it could be $3.69 or $4.74 or $5.99 seemingly at random.

Then you need to get your account down to under $0.49 for it to carry over to the next month. Anything more will be lost when the account refreshes if you don't use it. And even though the mp3s now appear to cost "real money" you still have to mess with the booster packs. If you've used all your monthly money, and want to get a $5.99 album, you've got to buy a $10 booster to pay for it. Why give all your albums monetary values if you're not going to treat us like we've got real money?

But the biggest disappointment with these new changes are you can no longer redownload your purchased items. I never had need to use it, but it was nice to know if something happened to my mp3 library, I could retrieve the albums I got at emusic at no cost. No longer. You will get charged if you want to redownload anything you bought from them in the past.
Old 12-01-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why couldn't you cancel your annual subscription and get a refund?

I'm liberated now. I buy what I want at Amazon with no pressure to use up my balance. Your anecdote is everything I feared emusic would be and I'm glad I got out when I did.
Old 12-01-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Why couldn't you cancel your annual subscription and get a refund?
When I contacted them after realizing how messed up the new changes were, this is what they said:

Hello Scott:

Thank you for contacting eMusic Customer Support.

If you decide to cancel your eMusic annual subscription, your membership will deactivate on the last day of the annual period. In regards to the eMusic account under the email address ****************, that date is Sep 10, 2011.

Unfortunately we are not able to issue you a refund for charges incurred during your membership. Per Section 6 of eMusic's Terms of Use which you agreed to when you registered for your account, all charges made during the subscription period are nonrefundable.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Regards,

Miles -
Customer Support
Old 12-01-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Your anecdote is everything I feared emusic would be and I'm glad I got out when I did.
Same here. They only threw one free month at me when I cancelled as well, despite me being a member since 2003. What a joke.
Old 12-01-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tscott
When I contacted them after realizing how messed up the new changes were, this is what they said:
Wait, your membership renewed back in September, yet they didn't announce the changes until October? That's a bait-and-switch if I ever heard one. IMO, you're entitled to a refund of 75% of your annual fee for 9 unused months of a 12-month subscription. Put that alternative forth to them, and if they refuse, politely tell them you'll be contacting your state's attorney general or taking them to small claims court. You also might want to do this over the phone, as you'll have better luck escalating the complaint to a supervisor/manager than you will over email.
Old 08-05-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bump. Today's Groupon got me to bite. $29 for $72 in credits ($12 per month for 6 months). I won't be keeping the subscription beyond the 6 months, but it will cover a minimum of 80 tracks (or about 8 albums at under $4 each), which is a pretty good deal.