Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Emusic recommendations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Need Emusic recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need Emusic recommendations

Tom Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future) has a new comedy album up, and it's quite funny.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Tom-Wils.../11725143.html
Old 12-04-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Titus Andronicus
I saw them open for Lucero some months back and thought they were good, but the studio album samples are pretty underwhelming by comparison.
Old 01-18-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

emusic just added 10,000 albums. Lots to choose from now.
Old 01-18-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically looks like they inked a deal with Warner Music Group. New labels listed on their site include: Warner Bros., Atlantic Records, Nonesuch, Rhino, Roadrunner, Epitaph, and Rykodisc. I'm pretty excited for the addition of Epitaph since I can now fill in some of the gaps in my NOFX and Bad Religion collections.
Old 01-18-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just discovered yesterday that they now have a bunch of William Basinski's stuff on emusic now. If anyone's a fan of minimalist ambient loops you must check it out. Many hour long one-track albums for only one credit.

Also, the complete Disintegration Loops (4 CDs worth of music) is only 9 credits. That's his most well known work where he took several ambient tape loops from the 80s and tried to convert them to digital media. In the process, the tape loops started falling apart leaving only gaps of silence. He recorded the process and famously completed it on 9/11/2001 and was listening to it with friends on a New York roof as the WTC collapsed.

I've long enjoyed the Disintegration Loops and paid over $15 per CD plus shipping to get them from his website 8 years ago. If you're ever looking for something different to spend your last few downloads of the month on, check him out.
Old 01-18-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish those clearance starter packs were still available because I would check out some of the new stuff.
Old 01-18-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They also added the entire Jimi Hendrix catalog recently.
Old 01-19-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, not the entire catalog. I wanted Band of Gypsys and of course that's the one album they don't have for some reason.
Old 01-19-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I wish those clearance starter packs were still available because I would check out some of the new stuff.
Not sure what you are referring to but they have a sale on booster packs until 1/31/10. Thought it was a good time to add 50 downloads.
Old 01-20-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Not sure what you are referring to but they have a sale on booster packs until 1/31/10. Thought it was a good time to add 50 downloads.
I assume he's talking about the 65 packs that Circuit City and Best Buy were blowing out for $5 in late 2008. I picked up an obscene amount of music with those, but am still left wanting more, especially with the Warner additions. 50 songs for $20 pales in comparison, but it's currently the best option.
Old 02-08-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah those and then Best Buy had the 100 packs I think for the same price or cheaper which was the reason I originally started this thread.

I may have to resign up for the 5.95 special for 12 songs plus the 75 bonus songs.

I don't know if anyone here may like it, but you should check out Wakey! Wakey!.
Old 04-14-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Led Zeppelin and The Cars were added today.
Old 10-11-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got an email from eMusic.

Good News: They're adding ~250k new tracks from Universal Music Group's library.

Bad News: They're moving away from the "credits" system and going to a price-per-track/album model (e.g. Amazon, iTunes).

Silver Lining To The Bad News: They could start offering major label material less than 2 years old, though this isn't mentioned anywhere in the email. Also, plan prices are not changing and prices are still generally cheaper than iTunes...for now.

Here's the post from their site.

Spoiler:
Coming soon! eMusic’s largest catalog addition ever along with a new way to price music

eMusic’s mission has always been to provide our members with a deep and broad selection of music at the best possible value. So we’re thrilled to announce that this November we will be adding more than 250,000 tracks to eMusic!

The additions include classic hip-hop albums on the Def Jam label; groundbreaking, forward-thinking rock music on Geffen and Interscope; giants of jazz on the Verve and ECM labels; a wealth of classical music from the standard bearers Deutsche Grammophon and Decca Records; hard-hitting alt-country on Lost Highway; timeless R&B from the Motown label, and much, much more! It will be the single largest catalog addition to eMusic by far, and it comes thanks to a recent agreement with Universal Music Group.

In order to continue to grow our catalog and to insure a sustainable business in the long term, we need more flexible pricing. So we are changing from today’s credit-per-track system to currency pricing. Your membership will continue just as it is today and your monthly payments will not change. But starting in November, you’ll see tracks and albums priced in dollars and cents instead of credits.
New pricing in a nutshell

Under the new currency pricing system, eMusic members will enjoy savings of 20%-50% compared to iTunes a la carte prices. The majority of albums on eMusic will be priced from $5.19 - $8.99. Single track pricing for members will vary as follows:

* $0.49 for most tracks currently in our catalog
* $0.69 - $0.79 for more popular content
* $0.89 for tracks that generally sell for $1.29 at iTunes

We won’t know where specific titles (or exactly how many) will fall in the categories above until November. But we think you’ll find that eMusic still offers the best deal out there on a consistent basis. For more on pricing, read The new pricing in detail.
Your monthly loyalty bonus

To thank you for being an eMusic member, a special loyalty bonus will be added to your account each month. The bonus level depends on the plan you are in. For more details regarding your new membership plan see the Your Plan info on the right.
eMusic today, eMusic tomorrow

We want to assure you that the heart of eMusic is not changing. As we grow our catalog, we’ll continue to profile records we find interesting or important, regardless of whether they've sold 4 or 4 million copies.

By growing our catalog our aim is to also grow our member base, which in turn will help fund improvements to the service. See A look at the future of eMusic for details on some of the good things to come.

Read on to get more details about the new catalog, the new pricing and how this affects your account. We want to hear your thoughts about the changes, please take a few minutes to share your feedback on a MEMBER SURVEY.
Old 10-12-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the nail in the coffin for me, I'm afraid...but it actually couldn't have come at a better time, since I was likely going to cancel anyway with the birth of my first in November. My credits just refreshed, so I need to make these last 30 count. Suggestions?
Old 10-12-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I used all my downloads and cancelled my account within 15 minutes of receiving that email. There is no reason to stay with emusic when they will be no better than Amazon and still have a smaller selection. It was fun while it lasted. The last time I thought about canceling was when they removed the Frank Zappa catalog, the reason I signed up in the first place.
Old 10-12-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no reason to stay with emusic when they will be no better than Amazon and still have a smaller selection.
I agree completely, and them touting cheaper "a la carte" pricing (compared to iTunes and Amazon) while not giving you the option of "a la carte" downloading (since they still require a subscription) is downright idiotic.
Old 10-12-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right. I was weighing the pros and cons in my mind and then I got to the part stating you'd still LOSE your unused "dollars" at the end of each month. So if I'm going to pay dollars, why not just pay Amazon? Uh no. If I'm going to give anyone cash and they are going to treat it like cash and not credits, then I shouldn't lose it.
Old 10-12-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right. I was weighing the pros and cons in my mind and then I got to the part stating you'd still LOSE your unused "dollars" at the end of each month. So if I'm going to pay dollars, why not just pay Amazon? Uh no. If I'm going to give anyone cash and they are going to treat it like cash and not credits, then I shouldn't lose it.
What!? Ok, I missed that part. I'm done after this month.
Old 10-12-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Luckily I cancelled my last membership about a month ago. Until that time I was getting a "Come Back!" offer about every four months.

I liked the credit system, although I wish there was a way to browse by album credit cost (I had 8 credits left, and I don't like singles, I wanted a full album -finally found a Swans album for 8 credits.)
If I'm paying actual money, I'll just buy with no contract/agreement. Or I'll just buy directly from the band.

On topic, my last two discoveries on Emusic were the Tiger Lillies and Emilie Autumn.
Old 10-12-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right. The beauty of emusic was that you paid a subscription fee and got credits that were worth more than you could buy those albums for elsewhere. So you'd download an album a month and use the rest to discover new stuff (or revisit old stuff).

Now, if they are going to boast that they will be a currency model and be "less than iTunes" why am I paying a monthly subscription fee again? I'll just buy the one album a month from Amazon and do less discovery and end up saving money.
Old 10-12-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

And "credits" were like betting chips - not "real money". "This looks good, it's only ten credits, I've got 50, what the hey". Probably relatively few people would do the math to see how much they were actually paying per album - now it's right up front - you're paying 8 bucks for this album you've never heard before. Yes, it's still cheaper than buying a CD, but it moves it back into the realm of real money.
Old 10-12-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
And "credits" were like betting chips - not "real money". "This looks good, it's only ten credits, I've got 50, what the hey". Probably relatively few people would do the math to see how much they were actually paying per album - now it's right up front - you're paying 8 bucks for this album you've never heard before. Yes, it's still cheaper than buying a CD, but it moves it back into the realm of real money.
Funny, I just took a cursory glance at my download history and it looks like over half of the artists I downloaded from on emusic were new to me. Now they weren't all winners, but I have found a handful of great new bands through the site.

Knowing that each credit was worth just over $0.41 on my account, I was paying about $5 per 12-track album. That same album would have cost $8-10 on Amazon so I would have been much less likely to just take a chance on it. Even though emusic might still be a little cheaper, I'd be taking far fewer risks on new music.

Last edited by FatTony; 10-12-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Q: After this change, will I be able to download the same amount of music as before?

A: Yes, you will be able to download the same amount if not more music as before, depending upon your plan. Some members will see a bonus amount added to their account in order to insure they can still download the same numbers of tracks as they can today with their current plan.

I don't see the problem. Same monthly fee, same amount of music.

And while I'll lose any unused dollars that's really no different than loosing the unused credits with the old system.
Old 10-18-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why pay a subscription for the "privilege" to download music at the same rate as Amazon.com? Their editorial content? eMusic has continually raised prices to where it has become completely irrelevant.
Old 10-18-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why pay a subscription for the "privilege" to download music at the same rate as Amazon.com? Their editorial content? eMusic has continually raised prices to where it has become completely irrelevant.
I only join eMusic when they throw 75 free songs at me, making it a total of 100 for around $10.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.