Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" April 2007

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this from Blabbermouth.net:

NINE INCH NAILS has set "Year Zero" as the title of its new album, which is due out in April and follows up 2005's "With Teeth". "It could be about the end of the world," the band's mastermind Trent Reznor wrote on the official NIN fan club web site The Spiral.

In a recent interview with England's Kerrang! magazine, Reznor described the upcoming album's as "a collage of sound type of thing, not heavy in a metal guitar kind of way." He added, "With this record I feel a lot less concerned about what people think about it — especially the dying record industry. I couldn't care less about that right now." Reznor also revealed that the new effort is a concept album and "part of a bigger picture of a number of things I'm working on. Essentially I wrote the soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist."

Reznor said that most of the album was recorded "in hotel rooms around the world on laptops," with very few musicians beside himself and "maybe some surprise vocalists that pop up here and there."

When asked why the new record took less than two years to arrive when the last one took six, Reznor said, "I'm probably as surprised as some fans are (laughs). But really it's just a matter of discipline. When I was on the last tour, to keep myself busy I was just really hunkered down and was working on music the whole time, so this kept me in a creative mode and when I finished the tour I felt like I wasn't tired and wanted to keep at it."
Old 01-12-07, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting, I'll have to check it out in a few months. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-12-07, 06:39 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, okay, so another THE FRAGILE. Not too thrilled, since that's my least favorite NIN album, but I'll check it out.
Old 01-12-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has to be better than 'With Teeth'. That is the only NiN album that I never really want to listen to.
Old 01-12-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Has to be better than 'With Teeth'. That is the only NiN album that I never really want to listen to.
Interesting. I found WT to be something I can listen to over and over while "The Fragile" is something that I can't visit very often. I still like it, but I find myself wanting to set aside time to absorb the whole thing in one sitting, kind of like "The Wall". I hate listening to just part of it, if that makes sense.
Old 01-12-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm psyched. I'll definitley pick it up.

As for The Fragile, I think it would really be a classic....if it was cut in half. It isn't paced well, goes to "soundscapey" around the rock songs.
Old 01-12-07, 01:37 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Jippy
Interesting. I found WT to be something I can listen to over and over while "The Fragile" is something that I can't visit very often.
Ditto; I find WITH TEETH to be, though not the best NIN album (which is easily THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL), the most accessible NIN album.
Old 01-12-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hmm, okay, so another THE FRAGILE. Not too thrilled, since that's my least favorite NIN album, but I'll check it out.
The Fragile is my favorite NIN album... With Teeth on the other hand, there's two or three standout tracks on there, a few "not bads" and the rest is "meh" IMHO.

What I'm wondering is if Trent plans on continuing with the 5.1 DualDisc releases for NIN...
Old 01-12-07, 03:37 PM

IMO there are no bad NIN albums. I can't believe some don't like The Fragile or With Teeth. Trent Reznor is a musical genius. Unless this new album sounds like something Clay Aiken would do I expect to love it just as much as I love all the others.
Old 01-14-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved WT. I can't wait to hear the new album.
Old 01-14-07, 02:05 PM

I felt all the lyrics in 'With Teeth' was a huge step backwards from the previous efforts, which ruined the experience for me.
Old 01-15-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've found something enjoyable with each album put out, so far. I'm looking forward to this disc quite a bit, as well as any upcoming tour.

Quite a time for Nine Inch Nails:
Closure
Broken Movie
Beside You In Time
Year Zero

All in a 5 month span of time.
Old 01-15-07, 08:07 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I enjoyed both The Fragile and White Teeth. Curious to hear this new album.
Old 01-15-07, 11:52 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Nevi
IMO there are no bad NIN albums. I can't believe some don't like The Fragile or With Teeth. Trent Reznor is a musical genius. Unless this new album sounds like something Clay Aiken would do I expect to love it just as much as I love all the others.

I agree. I've never been as hot on The Fragile though just because I thought it had too much filler. It would have been much stronger with just a single album release of the best 12-15 songs with the rest saved for another disc ala Further Down the Spiral IMO.
Old 01-15-07, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geofferson
White Teeth
Yes, we all appreciate Trent Reznor practicing good hygiene!
Old 01-18-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The European tour stars on February 10, and if they're playing material from the upcoming album, I definitely won't miss the Helsinki gig on April 10.
Old 01-19-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait. I'm a premium Spiral member and I will pick up anything NIN.
Old 01-19-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I felt all the lyrics in 'With Teeth' was a huge step backwards from the previous efforts, which ruined the experience for me.
I'm with you there. The lyrics were definitely not up to par IMHO. I submit:

I pick things up
I am a collector
And things, well things, they tend to accumulate
I have this net
It drags behind me
It picks up feelings
For me to feed upon

Still some good songs on the album, but probably the only one of his that I don't listen to the whole way through. I skip through most of it. I'd love to have another Fragile. Better yet, some more of what we got in Broken and Downward Spiral, although that ain't gonna happen.

I miss the angry Nin.
Old 01-21-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i miss NIN in the fragile era. it seemed like reznor was growing up. "with teeth" seemed like a step backwards, and most interviews i've read in the past 5 years seem almost as ridiculous as the lyrics mentioned above.

is he getting scared that kids won't buy his albums if he doesn't channel my chemical romance?
Old 01-21-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lyrics have never been his strong point. The Fragile is my all time favorite album and I could post lyrics that are very easy to make fun of.

Can't wait for the new album.
Old 01-22-07, 09:29 AM

The complaints about the lyrics are definitely on point. However, I thought Everyday Is Exactly The Same and Right Where It Belongs both had pretty good lyrics.
Old 01-22-07, 08:03 PM
Banned

"The Collector" is freaking Shakespeare compared to "The Only Time" from PRETTY HATE MACHINE.
Old 01-22-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by megashock5
The complaints about the lyrics are definitely on point. However, I thought Everyday Is Exactly The Same and Right Where It Belongs both had pretty good lyrics.
yeah, i can agree with that. those two are pretty good.
Old 01-23-07, 07:48 PM

I think With Teeth is a step backwards, it reminds me almost of Pretty Hate Machine, without the angst. Hell, if I had my way we'd have another Broken, which just totally kicks ass.
Old 01-23-07, 10:02 PM
Retired

Hell, if I had my way we'd have another Broken, which just totally kicks ass.
I'm with you there. Definitely my favorite NIN album.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.