Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RD1973
I've heard every Metallica and Megadeth song a million times. I've actually been looking for something new to get into. But nothing I hear compares to them. I'm just not impressed by other bands' rhythm work or their solos. Metallica and Megadeth songs have personality and they build in intensity. Everything else I've heard is just monotonous and boring. And singers who sound like cookie monster are a joke. Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking.
With that kind of attitude, you'll never like anything else.
Old 11-23-08, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
With that kind of attitude, you'll never like anything else.
I have listened to alot of other stuff. It all just seems kind of half-assed. Trust me, I look forward to the day that I find something that blows me away like the first time I heard Metallica or Megadeth.
Old 11-23-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've actually been listening to a lot of early 90's thrash stuff - some of my favorites and absolute classics IMO are Forbidden's Twisted Into Form, Sepultura's Arise and Death Angel's Act III.

Not really thrash, but also spun Metal Church's Blessing In Disguise. Such a shame the sound is trash, because the songs are awesome.
Old 11-23-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good thrash albums:

Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
Torture Squad - Pandemonium
Legion of the Damned - Malevolent Rapture
Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death...
Fastkill - Infernal Thrashing Holocaust
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
King's-Evil - Deletion of Humanoise
Slaughter (Can) - Strappado
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

I know there is more, just start with those. Oh, and Metallica and Megadeth are not even close to being the be all, end all of Thrash..
Old 11-24-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also to add,
Slayer 'seasons in the abyss'
Kreator 'Extreme Aggression'
Old 11-24-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just found Kingdom of Sorrow this weekend....Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed and Kirk Windstein from Down/Crowbar. Has a real riffy sound. I like it! I guess I'm a fan of "sludge metal".....I never knew....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMlShkvLBcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMlShkvLBcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-24-08, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Good thrash albums:

Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
Torture Squad - Pandemonium
Legion of the Damned - Malevolent Rapture
Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death...
Fastkill - Infernal Thrashing Holocaust
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
King's-Evil - Deletion of Humanoise
Slaughter (Can) - Strappado
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

I know there is more, just start with those. Oh, and Metallica and Megadeth are not even close to being the be all, end all of Thrash..
I didn't say that. My point is that I've been looking for something else. I'm actually tired of them both. But I haven't found anything that compares (in my opinion).
Old 11-24-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=bunkaroo;9090798]I've actually been listening to a lot of early 90's thrash stuff - some of my favorites and absolute classics IMO are Forbidden's Twisted Into Form, Sepultura's Arise and Death Angel's Act III.

Sounds like our tastes are similar. I just listened to the Forbidden album a few weeks back. What are some others you would consider classics?
Old 11-24-08, 02:20 PM

I didn't say that. My point is that I've been looking for something else. I'm actually tired of them both. But I haven't found anything that compares (in my opinion).
Anyone of those albums make a suitable replacement of Thrash. I listen to so little of Metallica (other than maybe Master and Kill 'em) and Megadeth (again, other than maybe Rust or Peace Sells..) anyway.

I tried listening to Death Magnetic, but it was so bad I had to scratch off the part of my brain that accepts sound, and it's just now starting to come back.

All the albums I've listed are different in many ways, most of them don't sound like the one that came before it. Give 'em a try.

..or just do what I do. Say fuck it and listen to Celtic Frost instead.
Old 11-25-08, 01:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs

.or just do what I do. Say fuck it and listen to Celtic Frost instead.
Celtic Frost kicks ass! But I have most of their stuff already.
So I had to pick up a CD of a German NWOBHM band called Tank- Power of the Hunter
anyone heard of them? I do have Filth Hounds Of Hades already and it's good-not great, but worth getting.
Old 01-22-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_1jb2u1Edo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_1jb2u1Edo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I got this album on vinyl recently. First off, the main riff at 0:32 is some hot shit. Also, I think the song at sounds a lot like Eminem's "hailie's song"....at 2:35 (sometimes it feels like the world's on my shoulders....)

anyway, there's a new OMC coming out soon...supposedly
Old 01-22-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how to piss off a metalhead (or at least the one's on blabbermouth)
16-year-old pop star Miley Cyrus has posted a new video for all her fans in which she claims that the fact that she was recently photographed wearing an IRON MAIDEN shirt (Photo#1, Photo#2) does not mean that she is "a poser." She says in the clip, which can be seen below, "I'm sure you all have seen me rocking an IRON MAIDEN shirt lately and I know there's been some people saying, 'Oh, she's a poser,' and 'The only reason she's wearing IRON MAIDEN is because she wants to be a rock star.' . . . So, IRON MAIDEN — 'Run To The Hills', 'Fear of the Dark', 'Running Free', [all] good song(s), check it out. So thank you, guys. I actually do like IRON MAIDEN."

Watch Miley's entire nine-minute message below. (The IRON MAIDEN bit begins around the 1:30 mark.)

Cyrus is best known for starring as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana in the television series "Hannah Montana" on the Disney Channel.

In 2008, Cyrus was listed among artists and entertainers as one of Time magazine's "100 Most Influential People in The World." Forbes magazine ranked her #35 on "The Celebrity 100" list with earnings of over $25 million in 2008.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-4_8phUUGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-4_8phUUGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
you would think the worlds comin to an end if you went over there. Oh and yes her voice is very annoying so pray you have a fast browser and skip ahead to the 1:30 part.
Old 01-23-09, 07:22 AM

Tank was actually a British band, not German, and the first two records (Filth Hounds.... and Power of the Hunter) are NWOBHM classics. They were linked with Motorhead during the early 80's, youring with them, and the first album was produced by Motorhead guitarist Fast Eddie Clark. The have a lot of albums, all decent, but the first two are my favorite.
Old 01-23-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard every Metallica and Megadeth song a million times. I've actually been looking for something new to get into. But nothing I hear compares to them. I'm just not impressed by other bands' rhythm work or their solos. Metallica and Megadeth songs have personality and they build in intensity. Everything else I've heard is just monotonous and boring. And singers who sound like cookie monster are a joke. Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking.
Try "Natural Born Chaos" from Soilwork and "Colony" from In Flames. If you can't get into those, I can't help you.
Old 01-23-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Sounds like our tastes are similar. I just listened to the Forbidden album a few weeks back. What are some others you would consider classics?
Sorry just saw this now.

Not sure if my favorite late 80's/early 90's thrash aligns with what most consider to be classics, but I'll just list all my favorites.

Anthrax - I find I like Persistence of Time more and more, I think because it's got a more serious tone than the other records with Joey. But they're all great.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - nothing they've done comes close except maybe Peace Sells.

Slayer - Reign In Blood obviously. I love South of Heaven but it doesn't seem as consistent as RIB or Seasons In The Abyss.

Wrathchild America - 3-D - Just a criminally overlooked record from 1991. Most people are more familiar with their debut Climbin' The Walls, but to me 3-D is just a prog/thrash masterpiece. The drumming is killer, and is actually by the guy who is now in Godsmack of all bands.

Sepultura - Arise is really the only of theirs I like a lot. Beneath The Remains is good but not as memorable to me, and then moving on I feel like they got too experimental. Chaos A.D. is still good though.

Suicidal Tendencies - Not as a big a fan of the vocals these days, but I still love How Will I Laugh Tomorrow and Lights...Camera...Revolution.

Testament - The New Order and Practice What You Preach are their pinnacle for me. The Legacy is great but the sound blows - same goes for Souls Of Black.

Overkill - My favorite of theirs is Years Of Decay, with Under The Influence and Horrorscope tied for a close second.

Prong - I know the stuff from Cleansing on is more industrial (and still awesome), but Beg To Differ still has a sweet spot for me. FYI - Headbanger's Ball used to use music from this disc during the intro and commercial break clips I think after S.O.D. was used but before Pantera was used. Just awesome riffs.

Powermad - I forgot about these guys for a long time but they had a really cool release called Absolute Power. I remember they had a free EP you could mail away for from Metal Edge way back when. If you find their Myspace I believe they are still making the EP and full record available for free MP3 download.

Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black - This one is an absolute dark thrash masterpiece IMO,and I really think it influenced a ton of bands. I liked their debut but this one was just perfect. They still haven't done anything with Nevermore that I feel rivals this disc.

I'm sure there's more I'd remember if I had my collection in front of me. I didn't mention much about Metallica because they are all essential up to and including AJFA IMO. Same goes for the first 3 Atco Pantera releases.
Old 01-23-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

^ Wow, great memories of high school and college.
Old 01-23-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

So has anyone else picked up Cynic's Traced in Air? It is a worthy follow-up to Focus. Melody, textures, aggression, great production value -- it's all here! Just listen to Sean Reinert's drum riff at 1:30 in the audio clip below.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mxMM8j31HM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mxMM8j31HM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Cynic - "Adam's Murmur"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tCo_5uCueC8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tCo_5uCueC8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Making of "Traced in Air"

Pity that it is under forty minutes in length but what a great ride it is!
Old 01-23-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually have just been spinning it for the first time this week in the car. Definitely the kind of disc which requires multiple listens and close attention. I know Focus has been revered for pretty much ever so it's nice to see them come back with something on par with it. Let's see where they go from here.
Old 01-25-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Sorry just saw this now.

Not sure if my favorite late 80's/early 90's thrash aligns with what most consider to be classics, but I'll just list all my favorites.

Anthrax - I find I like Persistence of Time more and more, I think because it's got a more serious tone than the other records with Joey. But they're all great.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - nothing they've done comes close except maybe Peace Sells.

Slayer - Reign In Blood obviously. I love South of Heaven but it doesn't seem as consistent as RIB or Seasons In The Abyss.

Wrathchild America - 3-D - Just a criminally overlooked record from 1991. Most people are more familiar with their debut Climbin' The Walls, but to me 3-D is just a prog/thrash masterpiece. The drumming is killer, and is actually by the guy who is now in Godsmack of all bands.

Sepultura - Arise is really the only of theirs I like a lot. Beneath The Remains is good but not as memorable to me, and then moving on I feel like they got too experimental. Chaos A.D. is still good though.

Suicidal Tendencies - Not as a big a fan of the vocals these days, but I still love How Will I Laugh Tomorrow and Lights...Camera...Revolution.

Testament - The New Order and Practice What You Preach are their pinnacle for me. The Legacy is great but the sound blows - same goes for Souls Of Black.

Overkill - My favorite of theirs is Years Of Decay, with Under The Influence and Horrorscope tied for a close second.

Prong - I know the stuff from Cleansing on is more industrial (and still awesome), but Beg To Differ still has a sweet spot for me. FYI - Headbanger's Ball used to use music from this disc during the intro and commercial break clips I think after S.O.D. was used but before Pantera was used. Just awesome riffs.

Powermad - I forgot about these guys for a long time but they had a really cool release called Absolute Power. I remember they had a free EP you could mail away for from Metal Edge way back when. If you find their Myspace I believe they are still making the EP and full record available for free MP3 download.

Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black - This one is an absolute dark thrash masterpiece IMO,and I really think it influenced a ton of bands. I liked their debut but this one was just perfect. They still haven't done anything with Nevermore that I feel rivals this disc.

I'm sure there's more I'd remember if I had my collection in front of me. I didn't mention much about Metallica because they are all essential up to and including AJFA IMO. Same goes for the first 3 Atco Pantera releases.
Nice call on the Sanctuary. I was lucky enough to see them on this tour in a small club. Into the Mirror Black speaks to me in the same way. It is one of those "go to" cds that you have to pop in once in a while and it never loses its impact.

Overkill, I generally prefer Taking Over, but I also love Years of Decay. I felt Under the Influence was a bit weaker and I have struggled to get into Horrorscope. I liked I Hear Black a lot, and a lot of their albums after that are decent but pretty much sound the same.

Powermad - Never bought an album, but loved the song from "Wild at Heart"

Testament - Agree with Practice What you Preach and New Order. Practice is another "go to" cd for me.

Megadeth - Hands down Rust in Peace.

Sepultura - I love Arise, but think Chaos A.D. is their crowning achievement.

Wrathchild America - Couldn't agree more about 3D. "Surrounded by Idiots" was my theme song when I worked in the radio industry.

Slayer - Reign in Blood, no doubt. Saw them on that tour. One of my top 10 concerts of all time. Hated South of Heaven for a long time, but learned to appreciate it as time went on.
Old 01-25-09, 09:20 PM

More metal:

Bloodbath - Eaten (Brutal Death)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBfoMgllphs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBfoMgllphs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon (needs no explanation)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/689OuBJEzGA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/689OuBJEzGA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Akercocke - Verdelet (awesome Black/Death)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zO8YkzMYcx4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zO8YkzMYcx4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nocturnal Breed - Wicked, Vicious and Violent (Thrash!)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IVDJOF1CseA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IVDJOF1CseA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edge of Sanity - Twilight (thee best EoS song and yes even better than Crimson)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZmkHYLv0FE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZmkHYLv0FE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Megiddo - The Oath (Black Metal)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r4OVAsaV708&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r4OVAsaV708&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spawn of Possession (awesome Brutal DM)
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aSmCcHJ8-s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aSmCcHJ8-s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Equilibrium - Widars Hallen
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSjiMHIEv_E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSjiMHIEv_E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-27-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just been listening to one of the most overlooked melodic metal bands of the late 80's/early 90's: Vicious Rumors!

Digital Dictator was their second Shrapnel Records release and the first one with who was arguably one of the best metal vocalists ever - Carl Albert. Tragically he was killed in a car wreck in 1995, but not before putting out 3 of the best metal records I've ever heard with VR: Digital Dictator, selft-titled Atlantic debut and Welcome To The Ball. They had another indie release called Word Of Mouth which was good but not as good as the preceding three.

The band was most notable for having Vinnie Moore on their first record for Shrapnel, which also had a different singer. But IMO they just stepped it up even better when those guys left. They've continued through the years but are pretty much just a shell of what they were IMO. Lyrics are cheesy at times, but it's just some kick butt metal - great hooks, awesome solos, they had it all! Sorry just feeling nostalgic.

Sound is total ass on DD, but a pretty cool track nonetheless. My favorite track from that record - "World and Machines":

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-26-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lick,

That EoS track is awesome. I've been sitting on Purgatory Afterglow forever but haven't listened to it yet. Sounds like it's time. I did spin Crimson which was cool but Twilight instantly sounds cooler than anything on that record.

I've been putting off hearing some Bloodbath for too long as well, considering their pedigree.
Old 01-28-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
how to piss off a metalhead (or at least the one's on blabbermouth)
16-year-old pop star Miley Cyrus has posted a new video for all her fans in which she claims that the fact that she was recently photographed wearing an IRON MAIDEN shirt (Photo#1, Photo#2) does not mean that she is "a poser." She says in the clip, which can be seen below, "I'm sure you all have seen me rocking an IRON MAIDEN shirt lately and I know there's been some people saying, 'Oh, she's a poser,' and 'The only reason she's wearing IRON MAIDEN is because she wants to be a rock star.' . . . So, IRON MAIDEN — 'Run To The Hills', 'Fear of the Dark', 'Running Free', [all] good song(s), check it out. So thank you, guys. I actually do like IRON MAIDEN."

Watch Miley's entire nine-minute message below. (The IRON MAIDEN bit begins around the 1:30 mark.)

Cyrus is best known for starring as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana in the television series "Hannah Montana" on the Disney Channel.

In 2008, Cyrus was listed among artists and entertainers as one of Time magazine's "100 Most Influential People in The World." Forbes magazine ranked her #35 on "The Celebrity 100" list with earnings of over $25 million in 2008.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-4_8phUUGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-4_8phUUGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
you would think the worlds comin to an end if you went over there. Oh and yes her voice is very annoying so pray you have a fast browser and skip ahead to the 1:30 part.

hannah montana likes iron maiden, my childhood has been raped even worse than the Star Wars prequels, Taylor Swift playing with Def Leppard and ozzy being invited to the white house
Old 01-28-09, 09:49 PM

I've been sitting on Purgatory Afterglow forever but haven't listened to it yet. Sounds like it's time. I did spin Crimson which was cool but Twilight instantly sounds cooler than anything on that record.
Purgatory Afterglow is essential. Great album. Also, The Spectral Sorrows. Awesome. I can't bad mouth Crimson though. I love that song/album.

hannah montana likes iron maiden, my childhood has been raped even worse than the Star Wars prequels, Taylor Swift playing with Def Leppard and ozzy being invited to the white house
I don't get it. Does this change Iron Maiden's music or something? It's not like she was wearing a Burzum shirt or 1349 shirt. It's Iron Maiden. Even my grandfather knows who they are and has heard an album or 2. Hell, at least she's got good taste.
Old 01-28-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Nice call on the Sanctuary. I was lucky enough to see them on this tour in a small club. Into the Mirror Black speaks to me in the same way. It is one of those "go to" cds that you have to pop in once in a while and it never loses its impact.

Overkill, I generally prefer Taking Over, but I also love Years of Decay. I felt Under the Influence was a bit weaker and I have struggled to get into Horrorscope. I liked I Hear Black a lot, and a lot of their albums after that are decent but pretty much sound the same.

Powermad - Never bought an album, but loved the song from "Wild at Heart"

Testament - Agree with Practice What you Preach and New Order. Practice is another "go to" cd for me.

Megadeth - Hands down Rust in Peace.

Sepultura - I love Arise, but think Chaos A.D. is their crowning achievement.

Wrathchild America - Couldn't agree more about 3D. "Surrounded by Idiots" was my theme song when I worked in the radio industry.

Slayer - Reign in Blood, no doubt. Saw them on that tour. One of my top 10 concerts of all time. Hated South of Heaven for a long time, but learned to appreciate it as time went on.
I assume by your username that you're a Blue Oyster Cult fan. I saw them live a few years ago. Right after the show, Buck Dharma was walking to the backstage area and walked right past my friend and me. I threw up my hand and yelled "Up top!" for a high-five and he left me hanging. Still, Fire of Unknown Origin is one of the greatest albums ever. Unfortunately, they kept playing new songs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.