Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Here's a gargantuan Album by Album thread: KISS

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Here's a gargantuan Album by Album thread: KISS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Here's a gargantuan Album by Album thread: KISS

.... yeah, no. Yeesh.
Old 04-10-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

That was a great and hilarious write-up, Spiderbite. My favorite anecdote was:

Union (Union, 1998): Bruce Kulick seems like a decent person with a reasonable sense of self. The singer on this album is the vocalist from Mötley Crüe who is not Vince Neil. Kulick is now a member of Grand Funk Railroad (who still play 40 shows a year). This is not actually a record review. GRADE: I

I laughed out loud.
Old 04-10-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or even:
Crazy Nights (1987): The album title is Crazy Nights. The single is titled “Crazy Crazy Nights.” The chorus of the single states that these are “crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights.” Well, that escalated quickly. The penultimate track is “Turn On the Night.” The ultimate track is “Thief in the Night.” A lot seems to be happening nocturnally. Were Kiss actually raccoons? As usual, the mainstream media refused to investigate. Your appreciation of this music will be proportional to your appreciation of Desmond Child and/or your awareness of who Desmond Child is.
Old 04-10-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or STILL even:
Kiss Symphony: Alive IV (2003): This was recorded with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra in Australia. If you own this album, it means (a) you own every album on this list, (b) “Shandi” was your wedding song, or (c) you are a member of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.
Old 04-10-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That was a great and hilarious write-up, Spiderbite.
Yeah. If more people wrote music columns like this guy, I would read music reviews a lot more. The guy knows his shit and his references are almost always hilarious and spot-on. A ot of his links are really nice finds as well and are nice to have while reading the article.

I know there is a lot of disdain for the Peter Criss KISS solo album (even though I like it) so I laughed hard after he describes each KISS solo album and then just says:

Kiss: Peter Criss (1978): This record was released by Peter Criss in 1978. GRADE: D
I had forgotten to mention that he reviewed band member's solo albums which is great too. I wish he had tackled the video releases as well. Would have loved to have heard his thoughts on Exposed.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 04-10-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

By the way, anybody read that new Rolling Stone article on KISS? I read it last night and damn, the bad blood has really gotten awful between the original four. I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was that bad.

And I never really knew that Paul and Gene really don't seem to care for each other. It really just seems like a business arrangement and that's all. Paul really doesn't seem to care for Gene a bit which I found fascinating.
Old 04-10-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
By the way, anybody read that new Rolling Stone article on KISS? I read it last night and damn, the bad blood has really gotten awful between the original four. I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was that bad.

And I never really knew that Paul and Gene really don't seem to care for each other. It really just seems like a business arrangement and that's all. Paul really doesn't seem to care for Gene a bit which I found fascinating.
Haven't read the Rolling Stone article, but there are bunch of pieces on blabbermouth.net.

And, yes, it's getting pretty nasty.

Ace and Peter seem to be the ones coming off with the most class.
Old 04-10-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished reading the RT article. I've always given Gene and Paul the benefit of the doubt and still do. Peter and Ace fucked up big time, so I don't get what's so surprising about it. It's really surprising how much leeway they're given by the selfish fans who want the original line-up back. Peter and Ace fucked up big time (over and over), so it's time to get over it.
Old 04-10-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick question: did Peter and Ace fuck up big time?
Old 04-10-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Quick question: did Peter and Ace fuck up big time?
I see what you did there.